Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

100 Chips a Day

LeftyHawk

As it is winter here in Michigan I've decided that I would take this time to improve my short game. I've read Peltz's Short game Bible a few times and watched Phil's DVD's on Short Game Secrets. Both guys seem to have the same basic idea on chipping with only minor differences, ie; Peltz has his "finesse swing" and Phil with the "Hinge and Hold" method. I like Dave's approach to the short game, after all numbers don't lie, but Phils "hinge and hold" seems easier for me at this time. So with that in mind I set up a chipping practice area in my basement. I have a spot where I can practice chips from 5 to 10 yards long. I have a chipping net set up, one of those with a smaller target in the middle. My plan is to hit 100 chips per day and track the results thru the winter using my 58 degree wedge.

After today's 100 chips the numbers are 6% in the small target in the middle, 34% in the larger target and 60% miss, all from 10 yards. My goal would be 20% in the small target and 80% in the large with no misses.  I know this will have very little bearing on actual chipping onto a green, but I figure if I can get a feel for the wedge over the winter than come spring when I can get out on the course, some of this winter's practice will translate to the course and hopefully to lower scores.

I will be varying the distance over the winter so I don't get stuck in a rut from 10 yards.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

That sound like a great plan! I think it will have a positive impact on the course because you can pick a landing spot and hit that spot. If you pick the proper landing spot, you can hit a bunch of chips close. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

As it is winter here in Michigan I've decided that I would take this time to improve my short game. I've read Peltz's Short game Bible a few times and watched Phil's DVD's on Short Game Secrets. Both guys seem to have the same basic idea on chipping with only minor differences, ie; Peltz has his "finesse swing" and Phil with the "Hinge and Hold" method. I like Dave's approach to the short game, after all numbers don't lie, but Phils "hinge and hold" seems easier for me at this time. So with that in mind I set up a chipping practice area in my basement. I have a spot where I can practice chips from 5 to 10 yards long. I have a chipping net set up, one of those with a smaller target in the middle. My plan is to hit 100 chips per day and track the results thru the winter using my 58 degree wedge.
After today's 100 chips the numbers are 6% in the small target in the middle, 34% in the larger target and 60% miss, all from 10 yards. My goal would be 20% in the small target and 80% in the large with no misses.  I know this will have very little bearing on actual chipping onto a green, but I figure if I can get a feel for the wedge over the winter than come spring when I can get out on the course, some of this winter's practice will translate to the course and hopefully to lower scores.
I will be varying the distance over the winter so I don't get stuck in a rut from 10 yards.

Chris

100 chips a day is a great plan. I did something similar, but only 30 and with whiffle balls. We only have an 8' ceiling in the basement and with relatively new drywall and paint I was afraid to use real golf balls. Last spring when the weather broke I followed up with the same routine outside. While my accuracy greatly improved, I had to adjust for distance with real golf balls. More than anything else I was much more confident once I was able to get on the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Tony,

I understand not wanting to ding the drywall, my place is a farm house built in 1932, basement height is 6 feet and I'm 6'3" so I can't even get close to a full swing. So chipping it is. I use real balls as the walls are concrete block and I have a tarp draped in front of it so I don't get binged by a bladed ball (LOL)

Chris 

Far and Sure......

Tony,
I understand not wanting to ding the drywall, my place is a farm house built in 1932, basement height is 6 feet and I'm 6'3" so I can't even get close to a full swing. So chipping it is. I use real balls as the walls are concrete block and I have a tarp draped in front of it so I don't get binged by a bladed ball (LOL)
Chris 

So I guess you won't be practicing flop shots

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

@leftyhawk - I used to be a Pelz devotee and will say that I’ve come to prefer Utley - far simpler. As for Phil he reminds me of a trumpet teacher I had once - all time great player, great guy, horrible teacher, his favorite phrase was, “Do it like this.” Well thanks Ray if I could do it like this I’d be playing in a Symphony Orchestra instead of paying you $200 for my lesson (in 1976).

At any rate I applaud the 100 chips - I found when I lived up north that playing rounds on a simulator was very helpful - I really learned how far the ball would go, chipping, pitching with each club

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I first moved to my course in 2015, I was freshly retired and spent a lot of time in the short game practice area.  I don't think I ever did 100 chips a day, but I did quite a few.  I was never a decent chipper until I started doing that.  I didn't have good distance control and pushed and pulled shots as well.  

Last year was probably my best chipping/pitching year ever, and it was because I spent a lot of time practicing different shots.  This year I cut back a lot on short game practice to work on a full swing change which resulted in a poor short game and higher scores.  I have committed to more practice time this winter.

Recently, I have been trying Steve Stricker's chipping/pitching stroke with pretty good success.  Look up some youtube videos; it's just simple.  I reduced my wrist hinge on the backswing and focused on more turn like the start of a full swing.  I have much better distance control, and my tendency to pull shots has vanished.  It's still a work in progress, but I'm liking the results.  Now I just need to hit 100 shots a day!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I’ve spent the last few months making sure to get 50 plus chips in before each round. Now and then it pays off, and overall, I’ve gotten a touch better at getting up and down. It’s funn tho, that with as many chippies as I do take, I thought it would pay of better. But, every little thing does help.

i hope it’s not like a New Years resolution, and after a week, bzzzt, that’s over...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

1 hour ago, revkev said:

As for Phil he reminds me of a trumpet teacher I had once - all time great player, great guy, horrible teacher, his favorite phrase was, “Do it like this.”  Well thanks Ray if I could do it like this I’d be playing in a Symphony Orchestra instead of paying you $200 for my lesson (in 1976). 

I can relate to this, I was a musician and tea cup teacher for many years, I've seen my share of players who could light the thing on fire but didn't have a clue as to how to teach.

One thing I keep in mind with any thing golf related is the person teaching it is teaching you what works for them. So as I'm not them I'm not committed to the technique, I try it, some parts may work, I'll keep them for a while if not it's on to something else. 

The thing I always told my students in music as in glof, find what works for you, you'll never swing a driver like Tiger, there's only one Tiger and he's got that covered. Find your swing, there's no one perfect swing.

So that's my approach to chipping, searching for my chipping stroke and run with it....

Chris

Far and Sure......

4 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

I just finished "Every Shot Counts" by Broadie.  He mentioned something like this for putting.  practice the 5 footers, but vary shot to shot from 4-6 feet.  For 10 footers, vary from 9-11 each shot.  I haven't put this into practice yet, but I see how this could really help develop touch.  So maybe vary the distance a bit on each shot versus 100 from 9 yards one day and from 7 yards the next day?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

11 hours ago, revkev said:

I’ve come to prefer Utley - far simpler

Interesting.....

Just the other day a friend told me that while in Arizona recently; he took a chipping (and putting) lesson from Utley. Said Stan's method was so simple and gave him immediate improvement and confidence.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

And here I thought this was going to be about a new diet...  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

21 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Interesting.....

Just the other day a friend told me that while in Arizona recently; he took a chipping (and putting) lesson from Utley. Said Stan's method was so simple and gave him immediate improvement and confidence.

Here's a video from Utley I found interesting. The technique he emphasizes is more detailed then the Lefty's video. Phil's video (in a different post) was more focused on ball placement and wrist hinge. I'd agree with RevKev's musical instructor analogy (related to Phil).  You can't dispute Phil's success in chipping but Utley provides a more detailed instruction. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I've seen Phil demonstrate his method a couple of times on the Golf Channel. I've tried it some and like it. I'm not convinced that there is one method for chipping success. I'm a fairly decent chipper (some days. LOL) and incorporate several techniques depending on the situation. However, as a general rule I prefer to play the ball close to the ground around the green as much as possible. We all seem to find methods that work best for us. Like it's often said... "it's not how; but how many."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Short game is my nemesis but I am pretty good at chipping now. Of course I define a chip as more run less carry. I use a variety of clubs depending on how much roll I want. I spent lots of time at the practice green hitting balls to about three feet on the geek and letting them roll out. For me this is more like a putt, shaft more vertical and more if a shoulder stroke.

Pitching, where there is more carry than roll is my struggle. I have read about different techniques and basic concepts but struggle to execute. First problem for me is consistent contact.

I think hitting indoor shots daily will help improve technique and ultimately contact. The difficulty of indoor practice will be seeing the rollout results.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

basement height is 6 feet and I'm 6'3"

That's a serious drill for maintaining your posture 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Here's a video from Utley I found interesting. The technique he emphasizes is more detailed then the Lefty's video. Phil's video (in a different post) was more focused on ball placement and wrist hinge. I'd agree with RevKev's musical instructor analogy (related to Phil).  You can't dispute Phil's success in chipping but Utley provides a more detailed instruction. 

I like the "short game tree" at the 26 min mark.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So I watched the video this morning and then went and played my best round in a while. But the funny part is that it wasn’t the chipping instruction, (which I did practice pre-game, and I liked), but it was the the little blurb on putter fitting.

i had 30 putts today, and 4 birdies, averaging about 15 feet, and narrowly missing a few others.

with the long grip on my evnroll, I was able to go thru the process he described and ended up choking up about 1” more on my 34” putter. It was an amazing difference and I was squarely hitting all putts. 

Back to the chipping tho, I did chip well today, and made a point to use the bounce more. As usual I spent 15 minutes chipping first thing this morning, then about 10 minutes on the putting green. Since we just had two days of rain they were quite slow first thing this morning. But my 2 best chips were a short flop over a trap to about a foot, and then a 8 iron bump and run to within a few inches, both to save par.

That sound like a great plan! I think it will have a positive impact on the course because you can pick a landing spot and hit that spot. If you pick the proper landing spot, you can hit a bunch of chips close. 

Was going to say something similar, eg. definitely *not* wasted time - practicing hitting your spot for chipping is huge.

Amongst the celeb DVDs there's also Tom Watson's "Lessons of a Lifetime" where he demonstrates exactly that.

One thing, though - while I admire your goal of 100/100 into the bucket .... that sounds like pro-level accuracy to me - even at a short distance..... But keep at it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

That's a serious drill for maintaining your posture

On the bright side, even if no improvements are made with the chipping , his legs will be sculpted like a Greek god by the end of winter. 🦵

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Watched this video over the weekend and thought it was great. Helped me with my chipping; was dropping my right shoulder so I spent some time practicing and it carried over to my round. Going to keep practicing, but it was a welcome change compared to my recent pitching.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well, after 700 chips for the first week I have figured out a few things, the number 1 factor when deciding on what kind of chip is LIE!!! then the next question is with what club. I've read countless books and watched quite a few videos and while there some commonalities with regards to chipping there is many thoughts on club selection. Some use only wedges and others feel that every club in the bag is game.

The 100 chips a day is improving my chipping for short distances as my target is a net 24" in diameter, I'm still hitting about 40% in the net but the misses are all within a foot of the net. At this time I plan to continue but start using other clubs besides my 58 degree wedge. And rearrange my basement chipping area to allow an area for putting too.

Chris

Far and Sure......

Well, after 700 chips for the first week I have figured out a few things, the number 1 factor when deciding on what kind of chip is LIE!!! then the next question is with what club. I've read countless books and watched quite a few videos and while there some commonalities with regards to chipping there is many thoughts on club selection. Some use only wedges and others feel that every club in the bag is game.
The 100 chips a day is improving my chipping for short distances as my target is a net 24" in diameter, I'm still hitting about 40% in the net but the misses are all within a foot of the net. At this time I plan to continue but start using other clubs besides my 58 degree wedge. And rearrange my basement chipping area to allow an area for putting too.
Chris
Agree with practicing with different clubs .. obviously each club has it's own carry: roll ratio .. but hitting your spot chipping with any club is pretty key!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

UPDATE:

Today I had a dramatic improvement. Up until today I was using my 58 degree. Today I switched to my 54 degree and what a difference. I'm still digesting as to why, but my misses dropped to 25% and small target was 10% which put 65%  in the main target. Going forward I will be trying different clubs but as of today it looks like my 54 degree is my new best friend!!!

Here's a couple of pics of my chipping area and today's first 50 shots

IMG_20181207_195556031.jpg

IMG_20181207_195630403.jpg

Far and Sure......

UPDATE:
Today I had a dramatic improvement. Up until today I was using my 58 degree. Today I switched to my 54 degree and what a difference. I'm still digesting as to why, but my misses dropped to 25% and small target was 10% which put 65%  in the main target. Going forward I will be trying different clubs but as of today it looks like my 54 degree is my new best friend!!!
Here's a couple of pics of my chipping area and today's first 50 shots
IMG_20181207_195556031.thumb.jpg.2e3637816fbf1f1682d2bddeb6036e10.jpg
IMG_20181207_195630403.thumb.jpg.34bb9ffbc6c83f9ce79c9fab6f2a67b4.jpg

Probably has to do with the swing weight of the club. I traditionally struggle with my 54 but my 50 is money.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Ok, I’m back.... just grabbed the 56 and hit 30 chips in the basement.  It’s a little lower than my old house was but hey... it’ll work.  I’ll junp on your 100 chips a day.  Man that felt goood!! 

I totally agree, hitting real golf balls is addicting. I started with the other wedges, 54, 50 and PW, my misses dramatically dropped with these, not sure why the 58 degree wedge is so difficult to put in the net. Something to think about. But I can tell you that my confidence at 10 yards and under is increasing everyday. It will be interesting how this translates to the course come spring!!!!

Chris

Far and Sure......

Have you tried hitting the 58 (or whichever) in different places in your stance?

like off the left foot, center, or right foot? Varying club lean, like with a bit of a press?

Yea, I've tried moving the ball around with the 58, as well as all the clubs. I figured the winter season in the basement is a good testing ground for trying different things.

I will be experimenting thru about February. I am having a bit of fun though, playing little games like bounce the ball once into the net, bounce it twice. Things like that.

Chris

Far and Sure......

4 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Yea, I've tried moving the ball around with the 58, as well as all the clubs. I figured the winter season in the basement is a good testing ground for trying different things.

I will be experimenting thru about February. I am having a bit of fun though, playing little games like bounce the ball once into the net, bounce it twice. Things like that.

Chris

That's really good practice. 

I always struggle with my 58 on chip shots too, especially off tight lies. I much prefer using my 52 since it is so much easier to hit a spot and let it release. I use my 58 mainly out of the rough so I can stop the ball quicker. It never comes out of the bag when I have a tight lie. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived