joen

Line On Your Golf Ball?

I'm not a line guy. I used to be, but I found that I always had to feel like it was lined up perfectly and it drove me crazy. Despite no longer gaming the SPIDER Tour putter, the one thing I liked about that was no alignment aid on top. Felt like I was more free when I was putting. I was more focused on my intended line and putting a good stroke on the ball as opposed to making sure the putter and the ball was lined up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm the opposite. I like to see nothing so I turn the ball when putting so it's a clean area I look at. Anything else is just distracting.

I agree 100% I turn my ball so see nothing. I have tried to use a line off the tee, again it seems too distracting to me so I put the ball with a blank side up.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/putting-study/

This is an older article and the study was very small but it is very interesting to read. It is amazing the difference between perception and reality. 

That is fascinating!  Thank you for posting that!  I have never seen that study. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joen said:

That is fascinating!  Thank you for posting that!  I have never seen that study. 

He posted it on Twitter the other day, first time I had seen it. It’s pretty eye opening. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

He posted it on Twitter the other day, first time I had seen it. It’s pretty eye opening. 

After reading that study, it made me feel like putting is very similar to pin the tail on the donkey.  Maybe I would do better blindfolded. Lol. 

I've done it, but then I never end up lining it up with it, so I don't even waste my time anymore. My alignment comes from my eyes... Which has worked out well for me so far!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, deejaid said:

I’ve started experimenting with different lines. A single long line and even a “T” for aim and face square.

It seems to help but the ball really starts to look messy with Make, Model, #, and lines on it.

I've been using a T on the ball for the last 6-7 years and have become a better putter because of it.  I get my intended line, aim the T on that line, square the putter to the line, then stroke the ball.  I don't second guess at all, because I am not looking at the ball after I square the putter; I'm looking at the hole.  He's a pic of the Nike putter I reviewed for the MGS forum a few years ago.

IMG_4331.jpg.0e972b851ed6b5830da9896f6376d8cd.jpg

Now my wife is one that doesn't like to see anything on the ball when she putts.  Makes it very interesting when we play a Chapman.

• Like 2

I use a line on short (15' and shorter) putts, but I don't like anything on long putts. Long putts are more about pace and if I've got a line, then I focus a bit more on direction and my speed suffers a bit. 

13 hours ago, joen said:

After reading that study, it made me feel like putting is very similar to pin the tail on the donkey.  Maybe I would do better blindfolded. Lol. 

Yes, just further proof that putting is really hard. I posted it in this thread because everyone does something different, as with all golf in general. But it is a matter of doing something you believe will work. 

Two takeaways

1) Practice green reading and then add more break than you think.

2) Commit. Commit to your read and then commit to your line. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes, just further proof that putting is really hard. I posted it in this thread because everyone does something different, as with all golf in general. But it is a matter of doing something you believe will work. 

Two takeaways

1) Practice green reading and then add more break than you think.

2) Commit. Commit to your read and then commit to your line. 

I have been doing a lot of thinking since reading that study. On my golf trip to Florida in a little over a week I am going to do half of the eight rounds without using the line and the other half using the line like I have for the past twenty something years. I track my strokes gained in both putting and the rest of my game. I want to see if there is a difference. I know this is only a study of one and statistically speaking is totally worthless....but the study involves me....and I want to see if there is a difference between the two.  I will report back. 

And your takeaway summarizes it perfectly. 

Very interesting study. I'm going to have to reread it several times to more fully absorb the concepts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Hard to digest some of the results as a lot of it says that golfers do a poor job of reading greens.  I agree it does help to put more emphasis on line and put less on mechanics during a round.  If you can simply get it on the right line it can pay a lot of dividends.  Now if you an't read a green to save your life, you still will struggle.

I typically try to use a line to help with my alignment to then focus on speed.  I did read unconscious putting last year which basically just like it sounds has your really focus on the read of the putt, but not using a line or doing any practice strokes and just go for it "unconsciously".  It did help me for a bit, however overall i am more consistent using a line it seems since I can follow the line a bit easier starting from the ball line and going like a train track to the hole.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 3:53 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/putting-study/

This is an older article and the study was very small but it is very interesting to read. It is amazing the difference between perception and reality. 

Screw the 20 foot test.  I know I suck at that.  All I care about is making sure anything inside 3 feet gets in the hole.  Subconscious, conscious or just an idiot, nothing bugs me worse than missing a 3 footer for birdie.  Totally destroys me for the rest of the round.

Neh. I don't bother with it. Every ball I play already has some sort of print on it that's useful or aligning you line.

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

Screw the 20 foot test.  I know I suck at that.  All I care about is making sure anything inside 3 feet gets in the hole.  Subconscious, conscious or just an idiot, nothing bugs me worse than missing a 3 footer for birdie.  Totally destroys me for the rest of the round.

I agree missing short putts suck. I have always contended that the best golfers are either super intelligent and able to segregate misses like this or not smart enough to allow it to affect them. 

• Like 3

2 things that drive me up the wall --- 3 putts and missing a 2-3 foot putt.  Just no reason for either.😣

• Like 1

I've used the Check Go balance tool (the old red one and I'm on my 2nd!) since the 80's! with the line on the balanced equator.

I watch the line people of today with amusement. Well, not a whole lot of amusement, but some 🙂

8 minutes ago, golfmann said:

I've used the Check Go balance tool (the old red one and I'm on my 2nd!) since the 80's! with the line on the balanced equator.

I watch the line people of today with amusement. Well, not a whole lot of amusement, but some 🙂

I never could get that Check Go to work right....well, the spinner worked, but I'd put the pen to the mark and it would start wobbling and give a crazy line.  Finally gave up on it.  Not sure why I had such problems with it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CarlH said:

2 things that drive me up the wall --- 3 putts and missing a 2-3 foot putt.  Just no reason for either.😣

if you are 60+ feet from the hole with multiple undulations, it's not shame to three putt.  Putting a 60 footer to within 5 feet of the hole when it has multiple breaks is not easily accomplished, FYI.

• Like 1