Jump to content
GSwag

Reason 10,462 in how to piss someone off during a round of golf?

Recommended Posts

So I play a weekly dogfight on Saturday mornings at my club.  It's a group of somewhere between 20-40 of the same guys at my club.  We all put in $20 and we play for points (1 point for bogey, 2 for par, 4 for birdie, 8 for eagle/pickup when you get to double bogey), skins and closest to the pin on all par 3s.  As an example, several weeks ago I birdied holes 1 and 3 and they both held up for skins to the tune of $60 total.  The points system is handicapped.  As an example, I currently have to pull 28 points to break even, and the guy at the end of the day that is the most points over his quota wins the dogfight.  In the few months I've been playing in it I've yet to see the same guy win it twice, and you really have to not only have a great round, but have to have some luck as well, because if someone else gets hot, they can still beat you.  As an example, last Saturday the winner was +3.  Two weeks ago I went +6 and still didn't win, as the guy who won was +8.  So you just never know what score will win it, which actually makes it really interesting.

Anyway, all that stuff said, you generally get to know the guys you play with, and who play in the dogfight fairly well, and everyone gets along with everyone else for the most part.  And I still consider myself the new guy, so I try and stay out of the other guy's way who I am paired with and simply say encouraging words here and there, and not much else, depending on who it is that I am paired with.  I've made a few friends so far, and we've played multiple times and tend to have a good round every Saturday, as I look forward to showing up and competing and seeing how it all shakes out.

Well last Saturday was a unique experience that I hadn't had yet in the dogfight, and not in a good way.  A buddy of mine, who is also a member at our club decided to join the dogfight for the first time, and I asked him if we could pair up, which he said yes to.  So we paired up, and ended up getting paired with a 3rd guy, who I had played with before a few times, and generally he keeps to himself during the round and doesn't say much.  Well, this round never got off on the right note, and I think it all went south on the 2nd hole, when this guy pushed his drive way right into the high grass, and we had to spend some time trying to find his ball.  In my search I stumbled upon a ProV1 with a blue dot on it, and let this guy know that I found a ball.  He got excited, because we had all but assumed he had lost his ball, but when I told him what ball it was he immediately said, "Yep, that's mine, with the blue dot."

Well, it just so happens that I was standing behind him when he teed off and I just happened to notice that he had 3 alignment lines on his ball, like the Callaway ones that Mickelson uses.  So before he went to hit his shot with that ProV1 I simply asked him as nicely as I could, "are you sure that's your ball, because I thought you teed off with a ball that had 3 alignment lines on it?"

He hemmed and hawed and didn't say much, other than mumbling something I couldn't understand.  After another minute of searching I simply said to him, "well, we have two options under the rules..."

He cuts me off in mid sentence and rather rudely says, "Dude, I'm going to drop over there and you can give me all the strokes you want for this hole!"

Ummmmm....ok then.  I guess I have overstepped my bounds.  So I walk away and leave him be to do whatever the hell he wants, basically for the rest of the round.

So we continue to play on, and I was thankful I was carted with my buddy, as we just continued to play our game, and left the other guy alone to be in his own little pissed off world.  We get to the 5th hole, which is a par 3, and I hit one pretty close, so I grab the tape measure to measure the length of my shot to the hole, and the other guy I could see was ready to putt, so I sort of stopped what I was doing and looked at him, and he goes, "Go ahead, I can wait."

But he said it sort of sarcastically, like I was in his way or something.  I mean, what am I supposed to do?  I actually was closest to the pin on the sheet at that time.  Does this guy not want me to measure?  I really wasn't even sure how I should react to him at this point, or carry on with the measuring of my shot.  Anyway, I measure it and write my name down on the card for that hole.  Just very uncomfortable at this point.

I'll skip ahead to hole #8, because that was the next par 3, and wouldn't you know it, I hit one to within 11 feet of the hole, so again, I need to write my name down on the card.  This other guy came up short and was chipping on, so I went ahead and measured while he was hitting.  Yeah, it take a minute to measure and record your name, and the device my club uses has you putting the tape measure in the hole and then pulling the tape measure out to where your ball is.  Well, this other guy had already arrive for his putt, and I guess me measuring my shot was enough to send him over the edge this time, because while I am writing my name down all I see out of my peripheral vision is this guy hammering his putter down on his ball that is like 5 feet short of the hole and the ball flies off towards God knows where, with this guy just creating a massive crater in the green, right by the hole.  By this point I was like WTF!!!  I mean, it's one thing to be pissed at me for whatever I did or didn't do or that you perceived I did or didn't do to you, but man, don't be abusing the golf course like that.  Especially at a place like this, where this course could host a PGA Tour event tomorrow.  I mean, it's that well maintained, with greens that fast.

So anyway, I refuse to say another word to this guy, and at this point I really just want the round to end, but we have the entire back nine to play, so I am just grinning and bearing it, letting him alone to do whatever the hell he wants to do and saying way out of his way.  I'm actually going out of my way to let him hit and be so far away from him so that he couldn't possibly see me or feel my presence.  it was just uncomfortable silence from that point forward.

So I am really not sure why he did what he did next, but we are teeing off on #14 and he duck hooks one into the penalty area left of the tees.  But then he decides to reload and launches a 2nd ball way off right, in play, but way right.  I had to hold up my buddy, because he was getting ready to tee off (he plays from one tee up from us as a senior) and this guy was just going into reload mode without saying anything to us.  So we all tee off and I jump in the cart with my buddy and head towards the fairway.  We get to our balls and I turn around and dude is still sitting at the tee box, doing I have no idea what.  Next thing I know I see his cart turning around and going back towards the previous hole.  So my buddy and I start talking about him, and I say, "maybe he left a club on the last hole or something?"

So we hit our 2nd shots, and figure dude will eventually come back and rejoin us, but I didn't see his cart coming back, and he never said anything to us about anything.  Turns out that this guy just abandoned the round and left without saying a word.  I mean, I guess I pissed you off something fierce on #2 with your faux ball/tee shot snafu, but man, get over it and move on already.  I play golf to enjoy myself and escape the problems of the world, not bring them with me.

Anyway, we finish the round and head into the clubhouse, and I approach the pro and ask him if he has heard from this guy that was paired with us, and the pro says no, so I tell the pro about what this guy did on #8 green, and how he simply abandoned us in the middle of the round.  I just asked the pro not to pair me with this guy ever again, and left it at that.

Well, this story gets more interesting later in the day, as I decided to head back out for another 18 after the dog fight and played a solo practice round.  As I am dropping off my cart by the clubhouse, the cart boy asks me, "what happened with the guy you were paired with this morning?  He told me never to pair you with him ever again."

I almost laughed at this, but then told the cart guy the story of our round, and how I couldn't figure out what set this guy off, but I sort of laughed to myself at this guy telling the cart kid not to pair us up together again, because the cart kids have nothing to do with how the dogfight is paired up.  The pro does that.

So MGS peeps, you tell me how I'm doing here?  Am I a total douche here, or is it something else?  Sure, questioning this guy's ball selection on #2 could have totally set him off, but I mean, I saw him tee off with another ball.  Should I have just not said anything?  I mean, we are playing in a recorded match, so I felt I was obligated at protecting the field in this event.  In a casual round and we are just out beating balls on our own, hit whatever ball you want, from wherever you want, I don't care.  But not in this situation.

Anyway, at least the guy didn't pull a gun on me or something.  In this day and age, you just never know.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GSwag said:

So I play a weekly dogfight on Saturday mornings at my club.  It's a group of somewhere between 20-40 of the same guys at my club.  We all put in $20 and we play for points (1 point for bogey, 2 for par, 4 for birdie, 8 for eagle/pickup when you get to double bogey), skins and closest to the pin on all par 3s.  As an example, several weeks ago I birdied holes 1 and 3 and they both held up for skins to the tune of $60 total.  The points system is handicapped.  As an example, I currently have to pull 28 points to break even, and the guy at the end of the day that is the most points over his quota wins the dogfight.  In the few months I've been playing in it I've yet to see the same guy win it twice, and you really have to not only have a great round, but have to have some luck as well, because if someone else gets hot, they can still beat you.  As an example, last Saturday the winner was +3.  Two weeks ago I went +6 and still didn't win, as the guy who won was +8.  So you just never know what score will win it, which actually makes it really interesting.

Anyway, all that stuff said, you generally get to know the guys you play with, and who play in the dogfight fairly well, and everyone gets along with everyone else for the most part.  And I still consider myself the new guy, so I try and stay out of the other guy's way who I am paired with and simply say encouraging words here and there, and not much else, depending on who it is that I am paired with.  I've made a few friends so far, and we've played multiple times and tend to have a good round every Saturday, as I look forward to showing up and competing and seeing how it all shakes out.

Well last Saturday was a unique experience that I hadn't had yet in the dogfight, and not in a good way.  A buddy of mine, who is also a member at our club decided to join the dogfight for the first time, and I asked him if we could pair up, which he said yes to.  So we paired up, and ended up getting paired with a 3rd guy, who I had played with before a few times, and generally he keeps to himself during the round and doesn't say much.  Well, this round never got off on the right note, and I think it all went south on the 2nd hole, when this guy pushed his drive way right into the high grass, and we had to spend some time trying to find his ball.  In my search I stumbled upon a ProV1 with a blue dot on it, and let this guy know that I found a ball.  He got excited, because we had all but assumed he had lost his ball, but when I told him what ball it was he immediately said, "Yep, that's mine, with the blue dot."

Well, it just so happens that I was standing behind him when he teed off and I just happened to notice that he had 3 alignment lines on his ball, like the Callaway ones that Mickelson uses.  So before he went to hit his shot with that ProV1 I simply asked him as nicely as I could, "are you sure that's your ball, because I thought you teed off with a ball that had 3 alignment lines on it?"

He hemmed and hawed and didn't say much, other than mumbling something I couldn't understand.  After another minute of searching I simply said to him, "well, we have two options under the rules..."

He cuts me off in mid sentence and rather rudely says, "Dude, I'm going to drop over there and you can give me all the strokes you want for this hole!"

Ummmmm....ok then.  I guess I have overstepped my bounds.  So I walk away and leave him be to do whatever the hell he wants, basically for the rest of the round.

So we continue to play on, and I was thankful I was carted with my buddy, as we just continued to play our game, and left the other guy alone to be in his own little pissed off world.  We get to the 5th hole, which is a par 3, and I hit one pretty close, so I grab the tape measure to measure the length of my shot to the hole, and the other guy I could see was ready to putt, so I sort of stopped what I was doing and looked at him, and he goes, "Go ahead, I can wait."

But he said it sort of sarcastically, like I was in his way or something.  I mean, what am I supposed to do?  I actually was closest to the pin on the sheet at that time.  Does this guy not want me to measure?  I really wasn't even sure how I should react to him at this point, or carry on with the measuring of my shot.  Anyway, I measure it and write my name down on the card for that hole.  Just very uncomfortable at this point.

I'll skip ahead to hole #8, because that was the next par 3, and wouldn't you know it, I hit one to within 11 feet of the hole, so again, I need to write my name down on the card.  This other guy came up short and was chipping on, so I went ahead and measured while he was hitting.  Yeah, it take a minute to measure and record your name, and the device my club uses has you putting the tape measure in the hole and then pulling the tape measure out to where your ball is.  Well, this other guy had already arrive for his putt, and I guess me measuring my shot was enough to send him over the edge this time, because while I am writing my name down all I see out of my peripheral vision is this guy hammering his putter down on his ball that is like 5 feet short of the hole and the ball flies off towards God knows where, with this guy just creating a massive crater in the green, right by the hole.  By this point I was like WTF!!!  I mean, it's one thing to be pissed at me for whatever I did or didn't do or that you perceived I did or didn't do to you, but man, don't be abusing the golf course like that.  Especially at a place like this, where this course could host a PGA Tour event tomorrow.  I mean, it's that well maintained, with greens that fast.

So anyway, I refuse to say another word to this guy, and at this point I really just want the round to end, but we have the entire back nine to play, so I am just grinning and bearing it, letting him alone to do whatever the hell he wants to do and saying way out of his way.  I'm actually going out of my way to let him hit and be so far away from him so that he couldn't possibly see me or feel my presence.  it was just uncomfortable silence from that point forward.

So I am really not sure why he did what he did next, but we are teeing off on #14 and he duck hooks one into the penalty area left of the tees.  But then he decides to reload and launches a 2nd ball way off right, in play, but way right.  I had to hold up my buddy, because he was getting ready to tee off (he plays from one tee up from us as a senior) and this guy was just going into reload mode without saying anything to us.  So we all tee off and I jump in the cart with my buddy and head towards the fairway.  We get to our balls and I turn around and dude is still sitting at the tee box, doing I have no idea what.  Next thing I know I see his cart turning around and going back towards the previous hole.  So my buddy and I start talking about him, and I say, "maybe he left a club on the last hole or something?"

So we hit our 2nd shots, and figure dude will eventually come back and rejoin us, but I didn't see his cart coming back, and he never said anything to us about anything.  Turns out that this guy just abandoned the round and left without saying a word.  I mean, I guess I pissed you off something fierce on #2 with your faux ball/tee shot snafu, but man, get over it and move on already.  I play golf to enjoy myself and escape the problems of the world, not bring them with me.

Anyway, we finish the round and head into the clubhouse, and I approach the pro and ask him if he has heard from this guy that was paired with us, and the pro says no, so I tell the pro about what this guy did on #8 green, and how he simply abandoned us in the middle of the round.  I just asked the pro not to pair me with this guy ever again, and left it at that.

Well, this story gets more interesting later in the day, as I decided to head back out for another 18 after the dog fight and played a solo practice round.  As I am dropping off my cart by the clubhouse, the cart boy asks me, "what happened with the guy you were paired with this morning?  He told me never to pair you with him ever again."

I almost laughed at this, but then told the cart guy the story of our round, and how I couldn't figure out what set this guy off, but I sort of laughed to myself at this guy telling the cart kid not to pair us up together again, because the cart kids have nothing to do with how the dogfight is paired up.  The pro does that.

So MGS peeps, you tell me how I'm doing here?  Am I a total douche here, or is it something else?  Sure, questioning this guy's ball selection on #2 could have totally set him off, but I mean, I saw him tee off with another ball.  Should I have just not said anything?  I mean, we are playing in a recorded match, so I felt I was obligated at protecting the field in this event.  In a casual round and we are just out beating balls on our own, hit whatever ball you want, from wherever you want, I don't care.  But not in this situation.

Anyway, at least the guy didn't pull a gun on me or something.  In this day and age, you just never know.

Apparently that guy has a problem - i would have told the Club Pro never to pair me up with that guy again. I've never had that happen in our Men's league but my wife has encountered a similar situation with two women in her league and she did tell the Pro not to pair her up with those two again. Life is too short for those kinds of hassles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you did what any of us would have done.  He has a problem.  The good news is that neither of you wants to be paired with the other, so sounds like you are safe in the future!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf is fun!

Based on your write up I don’t see that you did anything wrong. Of course there are two sides to every story and we don’t know his perception.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As @downlowkey said, asking for the ball type and markings before stating you found such and such eliminates the chance that they claim a ball that's not theirs.  In a competitive match, I would establish their ball and markings before they have a chance to find one and claim that it is theirs as well.

Nothing else jumps out as glaringly offensive, but I will play devil's advocate for giggles since you asked.

Was this playing partner rushing to get things over with?  When a group I am in gets to the green, most people mark their ball and clean it off.  Is this guy just walking up to his ball and whacking it in the direction of the hole while you are trying to measure?  Is it possible out of excitement you were messing around with a tape in the cup still while he has already cleaned his ball off and taken a read?  I could understand his frustration if you are lollygagging around and wait to measure until he is stepping up to take the putt.  That timeline seems rather unlikely, though.

As for him driving off, I suppose he was angry you didn't give him time to hit a third?  A little communication on his part can go a long way to avoid that situation.

Now that I'm done trying to see this from the other guy's side, I hope you enjoyed your last 4 holes!!!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Ask them what kind of ball they are playing; don’t tell them what kind of ball you found. Gotta do what you can to keep the cheaters honest!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... Adding some levity to this thread, I have posted this before but I faced a somewhat similar instance of "ball confusion" but not in an event. When the Kirkland 3 piece Performance + first came out my wife was playing one and hit a big drive of around 220, and while my son and I were slapping high 5's a guy in a cart drove up from a hole a good 75yds away, didn't seem to look at the ball and proceeded to hit it back to his fairway and drove off. My son is an ex DE and an imposing figure at 6'3" and 245 that still works out. He took off in a sprint and caught the guy in the other fairway asking "Are you playing a Kirkland Performance +?" and as a foreigner he replied in broken english "Yez! Perr-formance +!"  and my son smiled and asked "#3?" and with the same response "Yez, yez #3!" and then the stopper "Does your ball have 2 green dots and 2 black dots?" and he looked confused and said "No, no markingz" My son picked up the ball and showed him the green and black dots. He stammered and stuttered and said he was so sorry and insisted on giving my son a new ProV1 out of a sleeve he pulled out to make up for his theft, so my son accepted.

... He came back with the obviously false defense of the guy telling us he was very polite and showed us the ProV1 and said "at least his lie cost him a ProV1". We all laughed at how most golfers are honest but some seem to either lose their morals or are too embarrassed to admit when playing someone else's ball. We replaced the ball and my wife played her next shot and off we walked. We got about 20yds ahead and just in the rough was ... a Performance+ #3. LOL These balls had been out less than a week so what are the chances of that?!?! My son jogged back to the guy that was now on the green and looking a little afraid as he approached and Bryan gave him his ball and tried to return the ProV1 but the fellow insisted Bry keep it because he played the wrong ball and should have looked closer. 

... Gotta be a million to 1 so ya just never know. Unless of course, you see him tee off with stripes and claim a blue dot. 🤣

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As [mention=68431]downlowkey[/mention] said, asking for the ball type and markings before stating you found such and such eliminates the chance that they claim a ball that's not theirs.  In a competitive match, I would establish their ball and markings before they have a chance to find one and claim that it is theirs as well.
Nothing else jumps out as glaringly offensive, but I will play devil's advocate for giggles since you asked.
Was this playing partner rushing to get things over with?  When a group I am in gets to the green, most people mark their ball and clean it off.  Is this guy just walking up to his ball and whacking it in the direction of the hole while you are trying to measure?  Is it possible out of excitement you were messing around with a tape in the cup still while he has already cleaned his ball off and taken a read?  I could understand his frustration if you are lollygagging around and wait to measure until he is stepping up to take the putt.  That timeline seems rather unlikely, though.
As for him driving off, I suppose he was angry you didn't give him time to hit a third?  A little communication on his part can go a long way to avoid that situation.
Now that I'm done trying to see this from the other guy's side, I hope you enjoyed your last 4 holes!!!
 

Lol. Yeah. The last few holes were pleasant. And I’ll respond to your thoughts of lollygagging by saying that I’m probably one of the fastest golfers you’d ever play a round with. I can walk 18 holes in under 2 hours, and do it in under 90 minutes easy with a cart. Most of any additional time is spent waiting on others, or looking for someone’s stray ball.

I’ll also say that the guy I was playing with here is a pretty fast golfer. Who knows, maybe I should have just let him putt out on the par 3s and then measured my shot distance to the hole. Frankly, I don’t think he would have been satisfied with however I handled the situation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the laugh.

 

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this one. From the story you’ve told, this guy sounds like he’s way too high strung for life.

 

If he’s done this once, he’ll likely do it again.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive found in money games its best to declare your ball before the round and when you change balls.  Avoid crap like this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious why you mentioned finding a ball when you were aware the markings didn't match the ball you observed him hit off the tee.

Not to place any fault on you here, as this fellow clearly doesn't seem to have much respect for the game based on your story, but just curious about that aspect is all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess others' recommendations to ask what ball you're looking for before you come up on it is a good one, but know there's no way I would have thought to do that.

If they got him in such a tiffy, I don't think there's much you could have done differently. You responded like an adult and he chose not to, ain't your fault! Sounds to me like his pride just took a hit and he took his frustration out on you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm curious why you mentioned finding a ball when you were aware the markings didn't match the ball you observed him hit off the tee.

Not to place any fault on you here, as this fellow clearly doesn't seem to have much respect for the game based on your story, but just curious about that aspect is all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

It was an ID10T error on my part.  That is all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple things to consider:

1. Sometimes we don’t know the weight someone is carrying in their life. If someone acts out of the social norms he/she may have some underlying problems affecting their social skills.

2. How we say things is often more important than what we say.

3. A perception of reality even when wrong is still their reality.

4. The biggest challenge in all relations professional or personal is maintaining effective communication.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, ncwoz said:

I guess others' recommendations to ask what ball you're looking for before you come up on it is a good one, but know there's no way I would have thought to do that.

If they got him in such a tiffy, I don't think there's much you could have done differently. You responded like an adult and he chose not to, ain't your fault! Sounds to me like his pride just took a hit and he took his frustration out on you.

One of the first things we do in league before starting a round is announce what ball we're playing.  That somewhat eliminates the problem of hitting the 'wrong' ball. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen all those behaviors before, but there are a few people like that in any large group. Calling them out isn’t likely to change them, so doing so would be for my ego, I don’t need or want that. I can tolerate almost anyone for 4 hours in a 24 hour day, or the 800,000 hours in a lifetime give or take. Had to do it almost every day during my working career, should be easy on the golf course with next to nothing on the line.
 

I’d just enjoy the company of the other two in the foursome, and forget about the other guy shortly after the round. Sounds like the OP let it get under his skin - spending the time to write it all down for others wouldn’t help me forget - life’s too short to worry about a few asshats that inevitably cross our paths. 
 

Some more than others but I enjoy playing golf with 95% of the league players I’ve met over the years. That’s what I remember.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re a bigger man than me. I would have tried to make his Round completely miserable while me and my buddy laughed at him, I’m talking after that duck hook saying good shot man. Really hit it well. Just piss him off to no end. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’ve seen all those behaviors before, but there are a few people like that in any group. Calling them out isn’t likely to change them, so doing so would be for my ego, I don’t need or want that. I can tolerate almost anyone for 4 hours in a 24 hour day, or the 800,000 hours in a lifetime give or take. Had to do it almost every day during my working career, should be easy on the golf course with next to nothing on the line.
 
I’d just enjoy the company of the other two in the foursome, and forget about the other guy shortly after the round. Sounds like the OP let it get under his skin - spending the time to write it all down for others wouldn’t help me forget - life’s too short to worry about a few asshats that inevitably cross our paths. 
 
Some more than others but I enjoy playing golf with 95% of the league players I’ve met over the years. That’s what I remember.


This is great advice. I’m hoping this thread helps GSwag get it out of his system and put it behind him. There will be the occasional one here and there . Most of the people you meet on the course are enjoyable though.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I play a weekly dogfight on Saturday mornings at my club.  It's a group of somewhere between 20-40 of the same guys at my club.  We all put in $20 and we play for points (1 point for bogey, 2 for par, 4 for birdie, 8 for eagle/pickup when you get to double bogey), skins and closest to the pin on all par 3s.  As an example, several weeks ago I birdied holes 1 and 3 and they both held up for skins to the tune of $60 total.  The points system is handicapped.  As an example, I currently have to pull 28 points to break even, and the guy at the end of the day that is the most points over his quota wins the dogfight.  In the few months I've been playing in it I've yet to see the same guy win it twice, and you really have to not only have a great round, but have to have some luck as well, because if someone else gets hot, they can still beat you.  As an example, last Saturday the winner was +3.  Two weeks ago I went +6 and still didn't win, as the guy who won was +8.  So you just never know what score will win it, which actually makes it really interesting.
Anyway, all that stuff said, you generally get to know the guys you play with, and who play in the dogfight fairly well, and everyone gets along with everyone else for the most part.  And I still consider myself the new guy, so I try and stay out of the other guy's way who I am paired with and simply say encouraging words here and there, and not much else, depending on who it is that I am paired with.  I've made a few friends so far, and we've played multiple times and tend to have a good round every Saturday, as I look forward to showing up and competing and seeing how it all shakes out.
Well last Saturday was a unique experience that I hadn't had yet in the dogfight, and not in a good way.  A buddy of mine, who is also a member at our club decided to join the dogfight for the first time, and I asked him if we could pair up, which he said yes to.  So we paired up, and ended up getting paired with a 3rd guy, who I had played with before a few times, and generally he keeps to himself during the round and doesn't say much.  Well, this round never got off on the right note, and I think it all went south on the 2nd hole, when this guy pushed his drive way right into the high grass, and we had to spend some time trying to find his ball.  In my search I stumbled upon a ProV1 with a blue dot on it, and let this guy know that I found a ball.  He got excited, because we had all but assumed he had lost his ball, but when I told him what ball it was he immediately said, "Yep, that's mine, with the blue dot."
Well, it just so happens that I was standing behind him when he teed off and I just happened to notice that he had 3 alignment lines on his ball, like the Callaway ones that Mickelson uses.  So before he went to hit his shot with that ProV1 I simply asked him as nicely as I could, "are you sure that's your ball, because I thought you teed off with a ball that had 3 alignment lines on it?"
He hemmed and hawed and didn't say much, other than mumbling something I couldn't understand.  After another minute of searching I simply said to him, "well, we have two options under the rules..."
He cuts me off in mid sentence and rather rudely says, "Dude, I'm going to drop over there and you can give me all the strokes you want for this hole!"
Ummmmm....ok then.  I guess I have overstepped my bounds.  So I walk away and leave him be to do whatever the hell he wants, basically for the rest of the round.
So we continue to play on, and I was thankful I was carted with my buddy, as we just continued to play our game, and left the other guy alone to be in his own little pissed off world.  We get to the 5th hole, which is a par 3, and I hit one pretty close, so I grab the tape measure to measure the length of my shot to the hole, and the other guy I could see was ready to putt, so I sort of stopped what I was doing and looked at him, and he goes, "Go ahead, I can wait."
But he said it sort of sarcastically, like I was in his way or something.  I mean, what am I supposed to do?  I actually was closest to the pin on the sheet at that time.  Does this guy not want me to measure?  I really wasn't even sure how I should react to him at this point, or carry on with the measuring of my shot.  Anyway, I measure it and write my name down on the card for that hole.  Just very uncomfortable at this point.
I'll skip ahead to hole #8, because that was the next par 3, and wouldn't you know it, I hit one to within 11 feet of the hole, so again, I need to write my name down on the card.  This other guy came up short and was chipping on, so I went ahead and measured while he was hitting.  Yeah, it take a minute to measure and record your name, and the device my club uses has you putting the tape measure in the hole and then pulling the tape measure out to where your ball is.  Well, this other guy had already arrive for his putt, and I guess me measuring my shot was enough to send him over the edge this time, because while I am writing my name down all I see out of my peripheral vision is this guy hammering his putter down on his ball that is like 5 feet short of the hole and the ball flies off towards God knows where, with this guy just creating a massive crater in the green, right by the hole.  By this point I was like WTF!!!  I mean, it's one thing to be pissed at me for whatever I did or didn't do or that you perceived I did or didn't do to you, but man, don't be abusing the golf course like that.  Especially at a place like this, where this course could host a PGA Tour event tomorrow.  I mean, it's that well maintained, with greens that fast.
So anyway, I refuse to say another word to this guy, and at this point I really just want the round to end, but we have the entire back nine to play, so I am just grinning and bearing it, letting him alone to do whatever the hell he wants to do and saying way out of his way.  I'm actually going out of my way to let him hit and be so far away from him so that he couldn't possibly see me or feel my presence.  it was just uncomfortable silence from that point forward.
So I am really not sure why he did what he did next, but we are teeing off on #14 and he duck hooks one into the penalty area left of the tees.  But then he decides to reload and launches a 2nd ball way off right, in play, but way right.  I had to hold up my buddy, because he was getting ready to tee off (he plays from one tee up from us as a senior) and this guy was just going into reload mode without saying anything to us.  So we all tee off and I jump in the cart with my buddy and head towards the fairway.  We get to our balls and I turn around and dude is still sitting at the tee box, doing I have no idea what.  Next thing I know I see his cart turning around and going back towards the previous hole.  So my buddy and I start talking about him, and I say, "maybe he left a club on the last hole or something?"
So we hit our 2nd shots, and figure dude will eventually come back and rejoin us, but I didn't see his cart coming back, and he never said anything to us about anything.  Turns out that this guy just abandoned the round and left without saying a word.  I mean, I guess I pissed you off something fierce on #2 with your faux ball/tee shot snafu, but man, get over it and move on already.  I play golf to enjoy myself and escape the problems of the world, not bring them with me.
Anyway, we finish the round and head into the clubhouse, and I approach the pro and ask him if he has heard from this guy that was paired with us, and the pro says no, so I tell the pro about what this guy did on #8 green, and how he simply abandoned us in the middle of the round.  I just asked the pro not to pair me with this guy ever again, and left it at that.
Well, this story gets more interesting later in the day, as I decided to head back out for another 18 after the dog fight and played a solo practice round.  As I am dropping off my cart by the clubhouse, the cart boy asks me, "what happened with the guy you were paired with this morning?  He told me never to pair you with him ever again."
I almost laughed at this, but then told the cart guy the story of our round, and how I couldn't figure out what set this guy off, but I sort of laughed to myself at this guy telling the cart kid not to pair us up together again, because the cart kids have nothing to do with how the dogfight is paired up.  The pro does that.
So MGS peeps, you tell me how I'm doing here?  Am I a total douche here, or is it something else?  Sure, questioning this guy's ball selection on #2 could have totally set him off, but I mean, I saw him tee off with another ball.  Should I have just not said anything?  I mean, we are playing in a recorded match, so I felt I was obligated at protecting the field in this event.  In a casual round and we are just out beating balls on our own, hit whatever ball you want, from wherever you want, I don't care.  But not in this situation.
Anyway, at least the guy didn't pull a gun on me or something.  In this day and age, you just never know.

Let it go, life’s too short to let this guy control you. Although I would have enjoyed messin with him when it became evident he was an a$$$$.
There’s plenty of great people out there to share 4 hours with.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...