Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2020 Most Wanted Game Improvement Irons

fixyurdivot

I wish I had this information when getting fitted and looking at irons last year.  My G410's squarely in the "stinker" category. 😏  

https://mygolfspy.com/2020-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

Any surprises here from your perspective/experience?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

No big surprises personally, Titleist and Mizuno make great irons. I would say don't feel bad about you Ping G410 purchase this is a starting point. If those irons work best for your swing then those are the best option. There will be plenty of people this year that try the top irons in this list and they won't fit their swing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

You guys are two quick for me, I knew I shouldn't have taken an early lunch knowing this was coming today 🙂

I'll remove all personal objectivity, and say I'm very happy indeed for Ttileist on this win (shared with Mizuno's brand new release).   As I've played the T300 for the majority of this year--see below. I can vouch for their looks and performance. 

For years Titleist had the knock that they only made clubs for better players, and that was certainly true for the most part.  But with the AP1 they began changing that philosophy and each iteration of the AP1 got better and better.  Then came the new T lineup and the T300 was not only better performing than the AP1's before it, but better looking as well.   Having spoken to one of the VP's at Titleist this morning, they are so excited that the work that R&D team has put into all their irons is paying off---yes the others are very good as well---read the Official T100s and T200 Review  thread here.

T300 Bag 1.jpg

T300 2.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was surprised at the number 1 - T300. They didn't work for me at all at my fitting 3 months ago - they were a distant last place next to the Ping's (note I have Ping's at the top end of my bag). Also was surprised that the King SZ weren't at or near the top since they were the best for me. Guess that just confirms how important fittings are versus buying on advertising or others recommendations

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Admittedly, I don't pay a lot of attention to the GI range of clubs, but holy loft-jacking, Batman! The Mavrick lofts are nuts! There's gotta be some crazy technology and weight distribution to get those to fly an appropriate height. For folks who have swapped out their 4-iron for a hybrid, I wonder what their experience is like hitting a Mavrik 5-iron. 🤔

(On a somewhat related note, this makes me feel a lot better about one of the guys at the club I play with pretty regularly, who has the Mavriks. I've got him by a full 20 yards off the tee, but with irons, he takes these massive, 2-inch-deep divots and can pretty easily fly his 5-iron 200 while I've gotta hit it on the screws to carry 185.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Admittedly, I don't pay a lot of attention to the GI range of clubs, but holy loft-jacking, Batman! The Mavrick lofts are nuts! There's gotta be some crazy technology and weight distribution to get those to fly an appropriate height. For folks who have swapped out their 4-iron for a hybrid, I wonder what their experience is like hitting a Mavrik 5-iron.
(On a somewhat related note, this makes me feel a lot better about one of the guys at the club I play with pretty regularly, who has the Mavriks. I've got him by a full 20 yards off the tee, but with irons, he takes these massive, 2-inch-deep divots and can pretty easily fly his 5-iron 200 while I've gotta hit it on the screws to carry 185.)

The Mavriks are doing something correct, at least for me, as it relates to height and distance. They’re actually what i just ordered from my fitting. I have the Cobra F9 right now and I was getting the same height with more distance on the Mavrik versus the Cobra.

And overall better dispersion too.

So, at least for me, Callaway did/is doing something right on the Mavriks with the lofts working with height, spin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, greggarner said:

Admittedly, I don't pay a lot of attention to the GI range of clubs, but holy loft-jacking, Batman! The Mavrick lofts are nuts! There's gotta be some crazy technology and weight distribution to get those to fly an appropriate height. For folks who have swapped out their 4-iron for a hybrid, I wonder what their experience is like hitting a Mavrik 5-iron. 🤔

There was a recent podcast with Dave Neville snd Nate Adelman of Callaway about the Mavricks.   Nate mentioned with the design of the head and where the weight was placed, and a few more design things i can’t recall, if they werent lofted the way they were they would shoot straight up in the air. 

But i better not say anymore about that, there’s certain membership that says that engineers are selling us a bunch if snake oil.   

Of course every company wants to say its clubs go far.  Even the mother of all feel irons Mizuno has made similar changes.   But i guess Voshall is all marketing and has no idea on engineering...LOL!

25 minutes ago, NativeTxn said:

The Mavriks are doing something correct, at least for me, as it relates to height and distance. They’re actually what i just ordered from my fitting. I have the Cobra F9 right now and I was getting the same height with more distance on the Mavrik versus the Cobra.

And overall better dispersion too.

So, at least for me, Callaway did/is doing something right on the Mavriks with the lofts working with height, spin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogwash haven’t you heard, its all marketing.   They are pulling the wool over your eyes 😏😏

I liked seeing the lesser known brands being more represented in the GI category.  I'm still fairly new to the golf world, so maybe brands like Epon aren't as unknown to some.  The strokes gained approach to the results is a nice look at things.  It seems to me to be a little more clear than the previous ways of this iron flew this far off center on average, this iron had a dispersion of this much, the launch height was an average of xx.xx and so on.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Not to take the thread off course, but even if the so called pitching wedge goes as far as a 9 iron, then that means you are using likely a club half an inch shorter which should be easier to control. So if you 6 iron becomes your 5 but is half an inch shorter this should be a benefit, of course as long the spin does not totally crater. This should be an advantage.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I have had the Mavrik Max's for about 2 months now and couldn't be happier with the performance.  Being somewhat schizophrenic with my golf game, I go back and forth between irons aimed at better players and the most forgiving irons I can find.  The Mavrik Max irons are probably the most forgiving on miss-hits that I have ever played.  Last week, the 9 iron shaft broke at the hosel, so that's an irritation.  Of course, going with the schizophrenic theme, I'm about to start a thread asking people what the most forgiving players' irons are that they have played...

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 9/7/2020 at 8:17 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Hogwash haven’t you heard, its all marketing.   They are pulling the wool over your eyes 😏😏

You mentioned them saying "where the weight was placed"

I think it was the Fonz that said "bull makes the world go round"

image.png.cf86395e8036bfa3ef94ab1d48cafd1d.png

image.png.3f929b1b39b8c0e5727fe160f328fb16.png

image.png.c684fdb78f8b6f93cd75f139e832e1ac.png

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 months later...

I think the whole process is very subjective to the swing and personal capabilities, $$$ fittings are not the only answer though, been there done that and hated what was right at that moment of time down the road. What really matters to me is what I see when I look down, how it hits the ball when I put a good swing on it AND - BIG AND - How will they hold up after 1-2 seasons of golf.  After several sets of Mizuno's I will not go back because they rust, you can clean them - Dry them and still rust. I want sustainability, I want good feel, I want to be able to look at them after a year with no remorse, To much $ expended to have them look like an old car at the end of the season.