Biggest Mistake Average Golfers Make?

Our Sponsors

45 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

A buddy of mine I play with looks at me like I'm insane every time I take an iron off the tee. And almost every time, I'm in or near the fairway, only 150ish out, and he's looking for his ball in the woods or taking a drop. I've tried telling him so many times that driver isn't the right club off every tee, but it hasn't clicked with him yet.

If he's in the trees "almost every time", driver is never the right choice, unless he'd be in the trees with an iron too.  I'd rather be closer to the green in the woods instead of far from the green in the woods.  Knowing how to hit a driver moderately well is one of the most important skills a beginning golfer can develop.

• Like 5

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!! One of the most common is underclubbing.  "One time 4 years ago I hit my 7-iron 175 yards, so that's that I'm hitting from 175 today."

Trying every swing tip they find on YouTube or some golf website to fix a symptom and not a cause.

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆 The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instea

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

If he's in the trees "almost every time", driver is never the right choice, unless he'd be in the trees with an iron too.  I'd rather be closer to the green in the woods instead of far from the green in the woods.  Knowing how to hit a driver moderately well is one of the most important skills a beginning golfer can develop.

I'm definitely known for some occasional embellishment, but unfortunately in this case I'm not. Particularly on holes narrow enough where I'm taking an iron, he's probably in trouble +75% of the time

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

58 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm definitely known for some occasional embellishment, but unfortunately in this case I'm not. Particularly on holes narrow enough where I'm taking an iron, he's probably in trouble +75% of the time

Then I'll add another mistake average golfers make, NOT learning how to hit a driver in play.  

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just add a stroke penalty to his score per rule 10.2 every time he asks.

But like you I have hit knockdowns and partial shots to throw my friends off.

We never play for money or competition style so adding penalties wouldn't affect anything. And, he says he doesn't keep score but, he is the first one to point out if he beat me on a hole - I just ignore it. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Buying $300 a month in new clubs, trying to find their game, when 3 lessons for $100 would drop 10 strokes.
Buying a low-loft driver, and xstiff upgrade shaft, without even thinking about getting a fitting.
Playing from the correct tees.
At some of the courses, the blues are 20-30 yards longer same obstacles.

At others the blues can add 40+ yards and\ or other obstacles ( trees, curve, not able to carry over water).

I worked for Dick's Sporting Goods when TM was pumping out 5 drivers a year. No idea how many times a guy would walk up to me with a driver and say I want this. I would ask him what shaft and loft. Cue deer in headlights look and they would ask "you mean there's options???"

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I worked for Dick's Sporting Goods when TM was pumping out 5 drivers a year. No idea how many times a guy would walk up to me with a driver and say I want this. I would ask him what shaft and loft. Cue deer in headlights look and they would ask "you mean there's options???"

Take Dead Aim

Man, that is sad\ crazy.

We have a local store called The Golf Nut.

The owner won't sell you a club, unless you hit it on a simulator first.

He has a hard time when wives and girlfriends want to buy a club for someone.

It's a lot easier to fit a club,  than try to make it work after purchase.

He is a pretty good guy.

He mentions the situation you described a lot.

• Like 1

Always chasing different clubs

I'm surprised by how many people have no plan.  Especially when playing 2-man scrambles with buddies.  They just "blast off", find it and smack it again.  No concerns for what line to take off the tee, where the proper place to miss the green is, or where your up & down is dead.  

• Like 1

:ping-small:   :taylormade-small:   :srixon-small:   :cleveland-small:   :wilson_staff_small:   :OnCore:
'16 Taylormade M2 9.5*
Srixon F65 4W 17*
Ping G Crossover 18*
Ping G Crossover 24*
Taylormade RSI2 6-PW
Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
Cleveland Zipcore 56*
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Oncore Elixr

In the beginning of our golfing experiences, we were all lousy imitators.   We had this imagery of how pros play from TV or media, and what we first came up on our own was not even close.  Like Bill and Ted jamming with the babes. 

Learning to walk was a little easier.  Wasn't it?