Biggest Mistake Average Golfers Make?

Our Sponsors

On 9/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, PurePuttsGolf said:

What do you think is the biggest mistake average golfers make?

I don't think there are wrong answers here, I'm curious what everyone thinks!

I say alignment because of how all the problems that can snowball from poor alignment.

#1 they walk on a golf course

Now we got that one out of the way:

#2 not practicing

#3 not understanding the golf swing well enough

#4 improperly fit equipment

#5 over-swinging

#6 poor course management

#7 not knowing how far they hit their clubs accurately

#8 consistency. (Focusing on distance over accuracy)

#9 trying to be a hero - you are not Tiger, Phil, or Bryson

#10 losing your cool - you're not good enough to be upset about a bad shot

Honorable mention: caring more about drinking than golfing doesn't help scores. 

All this is part in jest and part serious.

I want to encourage everyone to enjoy golf. I hope people learn more about their own game than anyone else because you are the one executing the shot. Learning basic swing mechanics, swinging within your ability, course management, and aiming for the back of the green number more often will lead to a more enjoyable round. 

• Like 3

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!! One of the most common is underclubbing.  "One time 4 years ago I hit my 7-iron 175 yards, so that's that I'm hitting from 175 today."

Trying every swing tip they find on YouTube or some golf website to fix a symptom and not a cause.

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆 The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instea

Posted Images

All of the above....compounded by standing at address for an excessively long period of time....tensing up and thinking of every swing thought imaginable.

Bad shot....stand over the ball longer.  

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F8 Driver...10.5 degree..Reg

:755178188_TourEdge:  3 wood 15 degree

:755178188_TourEdge:  5 wood 18 degree

:755178188_TourEdge:  7 wood 21 degree

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged  4i-AW ...Reg

Kirkland 52 56 60 wedges

Kirkland KS1 putter

One of my personal pet peeves with less experienced golfers (or at least less knowledgeable ones) is when they don't clean their clubs - EVER. I've got a buddy that I play with on occasion who shoots in the mid-90's on average. He loves golf, but every time I tee it up with him the grooves on his clubs are completely filled up with dirt and grass from the last 10 rounds he played.

The only other thing I didn't really see covered already is golfers thinking too much about mechanics out on the course. It's one thing if they are out with the absolute intention of practice, but when they show up expecting to play well then get on the tee box and run through a checklist of everything someone told them or that "worked that one time"... 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

One of my personal pet peeves with less experienced golfers (or at least less knowledgeable ones) is when they don't clean their clubs - EVER. I've got a buddy that I play with on occasion who shoots in the mid-90's on average. He loves golf, but every time I tee it up with him the grooves on his clubs are completely filled up with dirt and grass from the last 10 rounds he played.

this is a huge pet peeve of mine as well, but it expands beyond golf and golf clubs 

i’ll never understand how people can’t be bothered to keep their stuff in good shape. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

i’ll never understand how people can’t be bothered to keep their stuff in good shape. 

I hear you. Ever since I made my first "big" expenditure as a kid (a shiny new BMX bike that I spent months saving up for), I've developed a compulsion to maintain certain belongings in an OCD-like manner. My putter still looks like new even though I purchased it 3 years ago and play or practice regularly. It's not just because it's a Scotty or because it was expensive. I did the same thing when I was gaming a second-hand Odyssey White Pro #9 I picked up for $60. I clean my stuff regularly (and in the case of my SC, I'll wipe it down with Hoppe's Silicone Gun & Reel cloth to keep it fresh and prevent oxidation).

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

55 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I hear you. Ever since I made my first "big" expenditure as a kid (a shiny new BMX bike that I spent months saving up for), I've developed a compulsion to maintain certain belongings in an OCD-like manner. My putter still looks like new even though I purchased it 3 years ago and play or practice regularly. It's not just because it's a Scotty or because it was expensive. I did the same thing when I was gaming a second-hand Odyssey White Pro #9 I picked up for $60. I clean my stuff regularly (and in the case of my SC, I'll wipe it down with Hoppe's Silicone Gun & Reel cloth to keep it fresh and prevent oxidation).

image.gif.b0031bb861d8d3009dd81b8baf7f7c96.gif

absolutely. i was raised on “the better you take care of your stuff, the better it will take care of you.” 

i just sent my high school baseball glove off to be reconditioned in the hopes that my son will use it someday and the guy doing the work couldn’t believe it was 20 years old. i lease my cars through my company and return them in better shape than i picked them up. i like nice things and i take pride in keeping them nice 

• Like 2

Welcome to MGS, @PurePuttsGolf. Fun question as you can see the varied responses.

I would say having unrealistic expectations.

Managing your expectations, based on your abilities, will allow you to have the most amount of fun on the course, and can provide a clear pathway to improvement.

• Like 2

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :taylormade-small: TP5x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

13 minutes ago, palvord said:

Welcome to MGS, @PurePuttsGolf. Fun question as you can see the varied responses.

I would say having unrealistic expectations.

Managing your expectations, based on your abilities, will allow you to have the most amount of fun on the course, and can provide a clear pathway to improvement.

You hit a great point! Just have fun instead of getting so technical. 

• Like 2

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Woods : TESTING :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1

Kanibi CBD Products Tester

23 minutes ago, palvord said:

That about sums it up better than I ever could have!

• Like 1

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆

The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instead of focusing on what they do right. 

This reminds me of an old joke. 

"Amateurs play with too much LOFT" Lack Of F-ing Talent

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with all points made,
1) unrealistic expectations vs how much you practice /getting pissed when a difficult shot goes awry

2)lack of putting green etiquette

3)not clearly marking their ball/ playing/picking up someone else ball

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Not hitting the safe shot; i.e. the one they know they can make which results in not hitting shots well and resulting in penalty strokes. 3 shots of 7 or 8 iron will reach most par 4s, but invariably, poor tee shot in to trouble results in, usually, more trouble trying to advance the ball. Then usually longer iron into green which invariably misses then 1 or 2 chips and 2 or 3 putts.

7 iron from tee, 7 iron second shot, then 3rd from 50-120 yds, chip, 2 putts.

Underclubbing? Sure but just not being able to hit a controlled shot to a target, regardless of club choice is a huge problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I find one of the biggest issues is how average golfers think about the swing. So many golfers get into a mental knot thinking about how the body is supposed to move during a swing but they forget a very simple concept:           If you swing the entire club towards the target, the ball will tend to go towards the target

I constantly see so many high handicappers swing out of their shoes and hitting huge slices and hooks and you can that they aren't thinking about what direction the ball actually needs to go and where the club needs to go to achieve that goal. If the average golfer thought more about swinging the entire club down the target line I think many people would see a lot less wild shots and see scores go down. I'm not saying club-based instruction is the only way people should learn but it's an amazingly simple concept that gets overlooked more often than not. This simple swing thought takes the guesswork out of alignment, posture, mechanics, and all the details that impossible to think about during a swing. If you can instill the average golfer with the bolded phrase above, I think scores would go down as golfers would a rock solid swing thought to go back to if things go awry during a round. 

If you want to test the swing thought out next time you're on the course, get lined up and visualize the target line on the ground when you address the ball. Then try to only think about swinging the entire club down that line. You must focus on the target line from the start of the backswing and through the ball. The brain has an amazing ability to make the body do what it needs to do to achieve certain outcomes. I'm not saying you will strike the ball perfect but I can assure you that you will likely advance the ball towards the hole reliably. 

• Like 2

As some one who plays with golfers much better than myself, and players much less knowledgeable than I, here's what I notice.

The number one thing I take away from playing with the scratch and plus handicap players is " even if you think you are planning shots and managing the course, chances are, you still aren't doing it right."  

And the most frustrating thing I see with friends who are mid level golfers is, they are incredibly bogged down with weird swing thoughts they picked up from YouTube or another buddy.  They tend to overcomplicate the swing.

• Like 2

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

What's an "average golfer"?  I think it has different meanings for different people.  Personally, I think most of us are average golfers if you look at the handicap bell curve, but I don't know if handicaps are the defining criteria for average.  Some higher handicaps may be better than average at certain parts of the game, but suck at other parts of the game.  Actually, some low handicappers can fit this description as well; just not as much and can recover better.  

All of the mistakes listed above can apply to most of us at one time or another.  I know they do for me.  I can be rolling along just fine, and then my brain takes a holiday; sometimes for a hole or two, sometimes for a week or two!  It is at that point that the "average golfer" starts analyzing, changing, buying, rather than just putting in some practice time and playing golf.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Poor and inconsistent tempo.  I'm an experienced average golfer, I know.

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 10/1/2020 at 12:46 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Man, reading this thread makes me wonder how an "avg" golfer ever gets the ball in the hole. 😆

The biggest thing the average golfer does is exactly this thread, FOCUS ON WHAT THEY DO WRONG instead of focusing on what they do right. 

But if you don’t focus on what’s wrong how can you get better? It’s an endless circle lol

image.gif.8fdc30c0a73895ec36238a42797cb278.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

28 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

But if you don’t focus on what’s wrong how can you get better? It’s an endless circle lol

image.gif.8fdc30c0a73895ec36238a42797cb278.gif

But that is part of the problem, it doesn’t have to be. Player A a good driver of the golf ball, goes to range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on trying to fix the low point of swing. He chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He gets frustrated and by the time he his finished he is pissed and he never hit a driver. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round and cold tops his driver. His driver woes continue most of the day as well as his chunks. 

Player B, a good driver of the golf ball, goes to the range Wednesday night, gets medium bucket of balls, he focuses his range session on hitting targets with his driver. He also chunked 3 iron shots in his round the previous week. After he warms up, he grabs his 9 iron and continues to chunk them. He has no idea what he is doing, he is throwing whatever you tube video he watched this week at his problem. He puts his 9 iron done and pulls out his driver and spends time improving what he is already doing well. He gets to the tee for his normal Saturday round, he hits his driver good, he still hit 3 chunks just like last week, but he also improved. 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Then there's Player C who takes his/her whole bag to the range and only hits driver. Then wonders why the iron/short game stinks. I see this all the time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD