Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter - when did you replace ?

I've been rolling with a 30-40 year old Ping Answer 2 since I first started playing golf about 20 years ago. Reading some of the recent most wanted articles and in particular the test vs the old Titleist putter it feels like there may be some value in upgrading (especially seeing the 2 strokes gained). 

I'm curious from anyone who went from an oldie but goodie to something new, what was your upgrade and how are you liking it? 

-Patrick

#GirlDad, Hack 'n Scratch

Bought a Carbite ZH Polar Balanced putter in 2000, and just recently went through my bag to update, including putter. I have a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c, which is center shafted, and I really like it. Never played a center shafted putter, but have toyed with the idea from time to time. My accuracy is better, distance control is good, but neither was an issue with my old putter. Just thought was due for an upgrade after 20+ years. I cut both putters from 33" to 29", and installed SuperStroke 2.0 grips on them, with the Cleveland having the counterbalance weight option(25g) in the grip end. Ball starts smoothly, with no hopping, and starts rolling quickly. The face is milled with a substantial omnidirectional knurled face, which I think helps the ball start rolling sooner. Good feel, and I know right away if I made a good stroke with this putter. Will be in my bag for some time to come...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I used a Scotty Cameron Select Fastback for several years and thought I would never part with it.  One day I forgot my putter at home and had to use my friend's Tayormade Spider X.  After that round of golf I purchased one through FB Marketplace and I believe I am a better putter with it, especially inside 10 feet.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

I had a Yes Tracy that I played for about 12 years. Played off scratch with it but went to a trial fitting to see if it was still a good match for me after getting back into golf and growing 15cm since I got the Tracy.

In order to get the Tracy to start on line, I had to really hold the face open going through the ball. If I got even slightly lazy, it was a pull. Tried out a bunch of putters seeing which ones could get my roll conditions optimal (using Quintic) while being able to stroke putts without having to think about holding onto the face. Turns out my stroke has expensive tastes and the Scotty Phantom 5.5 allows me to have optimal roll with a stroke that's just automatic.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

On 8/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, Bitonomics said:

I've been rolling with a 30-40 year old Ping Answer 2 since I first started playing golf about 20 years ago. Reading some of the recent most wanted articles and in particular the test vs the old Titleist putter it feels like there may be some value in upgrading (especially seeing the 2 strokes gained). 

I'm curious from anyone who went from an oldie but goodie to something new, what was your upgrade and how are you liking it? 

I went for an Edel fitting and dropped the money on one after being impressed with the demo build on an outdoor practice green. I keep detailed data through Shot Scope and improved SG: Putting by nearly 2 full shots through the first half of the season vs using a non-fit putter. I am hoping for more improvement as I continue getting used to it. I cut 3-putts in half and shaved off 2 total putts/round. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Until recently I never knew putter “fitting” was even a thing. I’ve always had a decent stroke and a pretty good putter. I used an Odyssey TriHot #3 for over the last 10 years, coming from a “30-40” year old Ping Anser, and did quite well.

I discovered the whole “fitting “ thing and thought it legitimate after some research, and thought why not since it’s the most used club in the bag.  Recently I was fitted by a Ping fitter and was put into a near identical putter I had used for years!

The difference is a stronger loft and neck shape for more toe hang. Same head weight, lie, grip and length.

I guess I was just fortunate to “fit” myself with the Odyssey years ago. Or was I now fitted to the stroke I have grooved over my golfing life, having putted with very similar putters from the start?

Either way it confirmed I was on the right track. A fitting is a good way to be positive you have the right tool for the job. You may be using the right tool, just needing a few tweaks.

But buying a new custom fitted putter is fun 😎 

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft