Putting - Negative Thoughts

Emmitsburg

Have been playing for over 40 years. Putting has always been the weakest part of my game. Back in the day, when I was a mid-single handicaper I could shoot mid 70's with no birdies. Have tried all aids. I start out every round with a positive attitude. Roll putts very well on practice green. Get on the course and 40 years of negative thoughts cause constant missed opportunities. I keep track of the "reasonable" putts that could/should have dropped. Count them up and take 50% of those as not all can be expected to go in. At the end of the round I come up with easily 2-4 strokes lost due to putting. Any suggestions of how to get 40+ years of demons out of my head?!?!?

What do you consider reasonable putts?

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

Have been playing for over 40 years. Putting has always been the weakest part of my game. Back in the day, when I was a mid-single handicaper I could shoot mid 70's with no birdies. Have tried all aids. I start out every round with a positive attitude. Roll putts very well on practice green. Get on the course and 40 years of negative thoughts cause constant missed opportunities. I keep track of the "reasonable" putts that could/should have dropped. Count them up and take 50% of those as not all can be expected to go in. At the end of the round I come up with easily 2-4 strokes lost due to putting. Any suggestions of how to get 40+ years of demons out of my head?!?!?

... The only thing you can do about negative thoughts is replace them with positive thoughts. First step is ignore the results and focus on the process. Make your best read, hit your best putt and repeat until holed. "Keeping track of reasonable putts" is just a lawyers not so clever way of concentrating your negative thoughts. Once you finish a hole never think about the putts unless they were good putts. Ignoring negative putts and replacing those thoughts with remembering positive putts will exorcize your demons. 

... That said, like Liam Neeson putting takes a particular set of skills. You have to reads the putt correctly, hit the putt on the right line with the right speed for it to go in. If you don't practice all those elements, your chance of getting 1 out of 3 right is pretty decent. Getting 2 of 3 right is much more of a challenge. But getting 3 of 3 right is very difficult as even the Pro's miss "reasonable putts". So cut yourself some slack and only focus on your positive results. If that is only 2 putts in a round, start there and look forward to 3 the next round. Then 4 etc. I cannot stress strongly enough to ignore poor results and it may seem difficult at first but once you shift your focus to positives, your putting will improve.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

2 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

I keep track of the "reasonable" putts that could/should have dropped. Count them up and take 50% of those as not all can be expected to go in.

The 50/50 point for PGA tour players is 8 feet, based on Strokes Gained numbers.  So if you're looking at the range of maybe 6 to 10 feet, you're really unlikely to make half of them, you're not as good as a PGA Tour player.  If you're looking at a longer range, you're absolutely certain to fail.  If you're going to evaluate anything at all, make sure you "standard" is reasonable. 

But looking at statistics is something to do after the round is over, not while its going on.  As @chisag suggests, you have to force yourself to think of the positive things.  Make your read, and trust it.  Evaluate the speed that goes with that read, and then trust them together.  Then set up and hit your line, at the speed you selected.  THEN evaluate, did you read it wrong, hit it too hard, miss your line?  Paying attention to lost strokes is defeatist.  Paying attention to what caused you to miss putts can lead you to improve the right things.  There are drills to improve your alignment and stroke, there are drills to improve your distance control, you can learn new ways to read greens.  And remember, you can hit great putts that don't go in.  If you miss the hole from 4 feet, its a poor putt.  If you lip out from 10 feet, its a dang good putt.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

“….The only thing you can do about negative thoughts is replace them with positive thoughts….”

^This statement holds the secrets.

Approach a putt with positivity and try to make every one as a lag is like finishing second. Not bad but not the goal.

Putting is twenty percent skill and 100% mental 😉 

• Like 1

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter PLD Anser / Vault Anser 2 Dale / 1968 Anser / ChipR

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

On 8/5/2022 at 1:01 PM, Emmitsburg said:

The book "The Lost Art of Putting" should move to the top of your reading list.  It spot on dresses the very issue you bring up.  

The first part of the book addresses the concept of "changing your story."  You gave us your story in the post, you've been a bad putter for 40 years.  Positive thoughts alone won't work; after all, you start out with optimism and a positive attitude.  I you don't change your story, you won't improve.  Sorry.  Read the book. It has a lot of good advice.  it is not a "how to" or technical book.