Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

I’ll probably never use a club from Cleveland or wilson. Larger OEMs without a large tour presence don’t do much for me. I’ll stick with the major players or the smaller DTC brands that are getting love on your and on line with the forum and social media. 

I wanted to like PXG during the demo day but nothing really stuck amour and hit the mark as better than what I already had. 

I will probably always play mizuno irons going forward because that buttery feel can’t be beat!

if you wear a visor, I’m gonna assume you’re a stick😂

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

This will be as unique as a person's swing, I love it!

POSITIVE BIAS

Cleveland Golf: I had Driver to Putter from them. Huge Vijay Singh fan and their wedges were dynamite. I still play TA7 irons and a Halo Hybrid but everything else is kind of hot garbage 😬 weird thing to say about positive bias.

Vokey Wedges: These changed my life, I will honestly play a vokey the rest of my life.

Project X Shafts: I get along with their shafts so well. Great looks, great performance. Great offering. 

Tour Bags!: I love your bags, they are sexier than hell, really nice craftsmanship (mass produced*), and I'm a leather ho.

Custom Colours: Golf is too serious, it needs to be lightened up within respect of others on the course. Get crazy looking out there!

Cigars: These are just meant to go with golf. I don't know what else to say about it. 

NEGATIVE BIAS

Callaway FW: My one and only 3 wood ever was a big Bertha steelhead and I hated it. I shouldn't have had one at 13 but I did and now I have no more. I play a Callaway driver though and I have no complaints!

Taylormade everything: Too much too often, too in your face. I don't have a gripe with their equipment performance, just blah.

Scotty Cameron: Again, way too much hype. Way too expensive for the offering. I think it's like Yeti Coolers, or Canadian Goose parkas.

Golf course sandwiches: **** can I get a little cheese on the damn thing? Force me to grab a white claw to soak the cardboard down!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

My biggest bias is towards Ping drivers. I used to be strictly a TaylorMade driver player but two consecutive driver fittings put me into Ping drivers. My first was a Ping G30 driver 12* and after some lessons my driving improved and 12* was creating too high a ball flight. Then I was fit into a Ping G400 Max 10.5* set to -0.6. That’s been my steady gamer since. Other than that my bag is not 100% but I do have a slight bias now towards PXG. It certainly helps that they offer a great deal to veterans.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Truly love this thread and I did miss out on a few brands. 

I will say the initial launch of PXG had me really not wanting them or well having a bias against them that had nothing to with price, just too loud and obnoxious for me. However as time has gone on and they have evolved I am really into their gear. I have only owned the 0211 driver and hit it a handful of times, but it was impressive and I like what they are doing by making great products for lower prices that are more accessible to all. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, John Shaw said:

I always 'need' to have a driving iron in the bag when I know I should have a hybrid instead..............

Do you have true driving irons or have you tried any of the Dhy types?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I have HI of 1 and so hit it well most of time. It's the bad shots that are really bad whereas with a hybrid the bad shots will still be OK.

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do you have true driving irons or have you tried any of the Dhy types?

I have HI of 1 and so hit it well most of time. It's the bad shots that are really bad whereas with a hybrid the bad shots will still be OK.

2 minutes ago, No3Jacks said:

I don't have an equipment bias, I have a retail bias.  The all the clubs I play with are purchased on eBay.

Definitely not something I considered before. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Interesting takes on here. I am a senior now so when I purchase clubs I am trying to help my aging body stay in tune for my best game. I have been a Callaway gamer for the most part with a few other manufacturers sprinkled in like Cleveland wedges, Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods and a Toulan putter. I did purchase a Stealth driver late in the year and it seemed ok will know more this season when it starts. I always read the reviews on anything from a few sources to help out with purchase. In the long run you owe it to yourself to swing as many different clubs as you can with a good fitting.

Jorge Beltran

I have no biases…😐

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

21 minutes ago, Redhawk said:

Sure do. Taylor Made is my go to in clubs. Best looking, Innovative and they have the inverted cone technology that others don't have. I buy their new driver every year also!

Do you just buy the head a keep the shaft from the previous year or go full new each season? Do you notice much of a difference year over year? Finally do you keep the older versions and if so do you ever go back to them?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

My Biases

The Good

Cleveland RTX Wedges are terrific for my game.

Tour Exotics Drivers are the best value

Maxfli Tour balls 

The Bad

Anything Cobra 

Overpriced equipment from Titleist, Callaway, and TaylorMade - because they over-compensate Tour Pros, drastically increasing the price

The Ugly

Srixon balls. I've personally had too many bad balls from Srixon. Never again.

Ads from PXG - Bob Parson's voice is like scratching a chalkboard. Although I think their equipment is first rate.

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

18 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

Cigars: These are just meant to go with golf. I don't know what else to say about it.

About a half dozen of the guys I play golf with regularly spend as much or more on cigars/round as they do (equivalent) greens fees. They go through 2-3 good cigars per round even if we tee off early, they don’t buy cheap cigars. I’m not a cigar smoker (anymore), but only because I’m too cheap…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

What can i say all here is from the Main Brands in Golf as of Yet i was for along time Taylormade irons and Woods till i started working on the Tour and Repairs thats when my eyes opened Up and Found out that what we Play and what they play are two different pairs of Shoes and that the real clubs come out of Japan thats why know i have Grindworks Cb and Mb in my Back and the Drive also and The Three wood Putter Yet again an Old American Favorite Fisher.Mallet.

SDRobinson

I think we all have biases; it may be manufacturer, it may be color, it may be looks, it may be feel, it may be perceived quality, or something else entirely.  As a most wanted tester, when testing I try to be unbiased, but based on the above reasons I have biases toward what I would put in my bag even though I see that something I don’t like might perform better.   

Manufacturer biases:  I typically shy away from Cobra and Mizuno clubs.  I typically don’t feel like they perform well for me; however, coming out of 2023 driver testing the Aerojet line was my favorite.    While I feel that DTC or lower tier OEM clubs are top quality and perform, I shy away from them largely due to potential trade/resale value.  If you go through clubs quickly, resale is always in the back of our minds.  

Color biases: this applies mostly to woods and hybrids, but does extend to putters.    I typically lean toward single color, typically black, glossy or matte woods.  In putters I prefer darker colors.  

Looks: generally hard to qualify.  When walking down a row of drivers, which one do you pick up?  There are clubs that just appeal to us and we are more likely to pick up.

Sound/Feel:  for most clubs I prefer a softer more muted  sound and feel.  With putters I like a more “clicky” feel.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've had my Titleist irons for 23 years. I played my best off the tee with a 975D, so I guess my bias, fanboyism is towards Titleist to some degree. I just got a ts3 Titleist driver to replace my old R11 that i had for 10 plus years. When I get new irons, I want Titleist, but know they may not be the best for me. I will say for hybrids I love my cleveland hibore 2 hybrid, so I lean towards that whenever looking.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Played Callaway exclusively for years. But I bought Srixon ZX5 irons and they are the best I've ever had. Great on less than perfect hits, and incredible when struck correctly. Go through the turf amazingly well. And, though a side note item, they are beautiful.

Still have Callaway driver- Rogue ST Max. I'll be 67 in two weeks, but still drove, on the fly, a 246 yard green Sunday, Ball stopped where it landed. I may try the new Paradym because of the purported smaller dispersion pattern, but not because I'm unhappy. 

Tried new Srixon Z Star Diamond balls and like them, but they were 5-10 yards shorter than Chrome Soft Triple Track I have played for years. And new Chrome Softs (regular, not X) actually bite better than before, which was the primary reason I tried the Srixon ball. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max  9.5

Srixon 3w and 3h

PXG 1 iron

Srixon ZX5 irons 4-A

Cleveland 46, 56

Odyssey 7 

Epic Flash Sub Zero 10o

Mavrik SZ 3 wood and 3 Hybrid

Mavrik Pro 5-PW

PXG 1 iron

Mack Daddy 46,52,60

Odyssey Stroke Lab Marxman

I find most of your comments very one side that of the Big Manufactures Taylormade ,Titelist,Ping, and Callaway. please dont forget that what the Players on the Tour Play clubs wise is not always what you will buy in the SportStore and its about time that this factor was addressed as i believe too long has the wool be pulled over the Spectators eyes thats why certain Pro players went away from there brand and went to the brand that accually made his Irons when he was under contract with said big Firm Patrick Reed. ,Justin Rose. too name but a few. So give the Real brands that do make high quauity Irons a chance ,Grindworks,Seven,Muira,Geotech, Yamaha, Crazy, all to be found on line Tourspecgolf.com. thank hope you all have a bettter understanding in what is really happing in Golf.

SDRobinson

I love all things Cobra/Puma

I will always look at what Callaway is churning out above everything else

I'm softening on PXG

I never look at anything from Wilson, XXIO & SeeMore

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do you just buy the head a keep the shaft from the previous year or go full new each season? Do you notice much of a difference year over year? Finally do you keep the older versions and if so do you ever go back to them?

I got full bore every year. I have 6 shafts right now for my TM head. I love to experiment with different shafts even though I have been fitted. I have ordered the new Stealth 2 already. I sell my old driver every year to friends or relatives. The only reason I have Srixon irons for the first time in 20 + years is the rep for Srixon deals with my course plus I have connections with the manager of a local pro shop. I got over 50% off the irons and got upgraded shafts in them besides!! I honestly believe its psychological just knowing you have the latest and greatest technological  driver to give you every advantage on the course. The best part of my game now is off the tee and has been for a few years. Thats all you can ask for, right??

All Taylor Made clubs except I got Srixon 585 irons. Buy new TM driver every year. 

Callaway. Their clubs never worked for me particularly the irons. Though I will admit some of their newer drivers are right there with any other OEM. Also, their balls absolutley suck. I haven't hit a Callaway ball I liked since the HX 56. They are mush, they balloon on me and are easily shorter on both driver and irons than the gamers (Zstar).

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

36 minutes ago, Shannon dann Robinson said:

I find most of your comments very one side that of the Big Manufactures Taylormade ,Titelist,Ping, and Callaway. please dont forget that what the Players on the Tour Play clubs wise is not always what you will buy in the SportStore and its about time that this factor was addressed as i believe too long has the wool be pulled over the Spectators eyes thats why certain Pro players went away from there brand and went to the brand that accually made his Irons when he was under contract with said big Firm Patrick Reed. ,Justin Rose. too name but a few. So give the Real brands that do make high quauity Irons a chance ,Grindworks,Seven,Muira,Geotech, Yamaha, Crazy, all to be found on line Tourspecgolf.com. thank hope you all have a bettter understanding in what is really happing in Golf.

Fair point, but when most golfers want to get fit they are limited to what is in store. Many of those if not all shops don't carry those brands mentioned. When invested significant amounts into irons or other clubs you want to be able to hit and be fit for those clubs. I would be hesitant to buy online from some of those other brands, not because they don't make good irons, but because i want to see/hit and be fit for what I am playing.

We all understand pros get paid to play certain clubs and that is up the them. Nothing wrong with it and that's part of pro golf. I don't really let what the pros play influence me or give me a bias one way or another due to me not being a pro. Plus as I mentioned in my original post I am a big DTC fan.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 hours ago, No3Jacks said:

I don't have an equipment bias, I have a retail bias.  The all the clubs I play with are purchased on eBay.

I have grabbed some gems from golf Avenue. I never trusted eBay all that much. 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Great thread!

When I am looking for a new club, I always look at Ping, Callaway, Mizuno, and Titleist first, but not necessarily in that order. TaylorMade is pretty much an afterthought nowadays. Cobra intrigues me, but I’ve never owned one of their clubs.  

Drivers-Ping gets the first crack and usually wins. I had a bad experience with a Titleist 913D driver, but I don’t let it affect my decisions going forward. It was operator error and a poor shaft decision. 

Fairway woods-Callaway usually ends up in my bag in this spot. 

Hybrids-other than a TaylorMade Burner Rescue I hit way left, I’ve only hit an Adams Idea Pro Black. I’m pretty excited about the new TSRs coming out. 

Irons-I always try Mizunos first hoping I will find the same magic I found in the set of MP-62s I played for a decade. The JPX line doesn’t do it for me, so I went Callaway this time. Ping/cast irons have never really appealed to me but that could change with the new offerings. On looks alone, the new Cobras might have that old Mizuno magic. 

Wedges—Vokey, Callaway. I know Cleveland is known for wedges, but I hate them.

Putter-Odyssey #9. It’s a shame they don’t make it anymore. Evnroll is definitely trending up for me in this category.  I hate any putter that has a long plumber hosel. Too many bad memories of pulling short putts with my Anser 2 back in the day. 

DTC brands-I want to buy into the DTC model of offering comparable performance at a fraction of the cost, but I have stayed on the sidelines because I cannot demo these clubs at the local golf store or otherwise put them in my hands before purchase for less than the $20-80 the demo programs cost. I can do without PXG’s marketing and pricing schemes, and I’m not inclined to buy a nonrefundable set of New Level irons no matter how well Steve Alker plays. I’m more likely to choose a like new club on Callaway Preowned if it’s the same price as a DTC brand if only because I’ll have an easier time selling it on eBay when I’m done with it. If I’m going to jump in, it’ll be a Sub70 club.