Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How long do you play the same golf ball?

I know there are so many different skill levels of golfers out there so I'm genuinely curious how long you guys play/don't lose golf balls while playing. Do you notice more lost balls on harder courses? Do most of you play the same ball when there's little to no hazard on the course? If you do play the same ball for multiple rounds, how many rounds do you end up keeping it? I am curious to know as I am doing the MGS OnCore X2 ball testing and I am curious to know how others value each individual ball not only from a performance perspective but a longevity one, since I assume most people aren't the most concerned with the durability of the ball after ~72+ holes of golf.

As for me, my local municipal courses provide just about 0 water and wide fairways, so I can usually get through 18 with 1 (maybe 2) balls. However, if I do make it a full 18 with the same ball it usually finds it's way in the shag bag after one round.

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

It really depends on the durability of the ball and the kind of conditions I put it through (how many times does it hit a tree or cart path). Some I will play for a couple rounds before they are too worn and I start using them as practice balls. I don't think I'm too picky when it comes to the condition of the ball, I expect about 3 rounds from a ball assuming I don't lose it before then.

As far as playing certain balls around hazards, I don't let the thought of losing my ball determine which ball I use. If I think about the water hazard, I will hit into the water hazard.

Driver: Mizuno STZ220 HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

UDI: Titleist U505 TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Irons: Ping G425 4-PW True Temper Elevate 95

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48,52,56,60 Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter: Taylormade TP Hydroblast Bandon 3 TP Stepped

6 minutes ago, Jared3 said:

If I think about the water hazard, I will hit into the water hazard.

As someone who is slowly getting better and gaining confidence to not lose balls, this becomes more and more true haha

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

As i improve my game, I find I am loosing fewer balls than I used to. I will play a ball until I loose it, more and more rarely, or I notice some damage on it, like when I hit a cart path or rock, etc.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I am good for 1 lost Ball per round. Of course some rounds I am better or worse than others. 

It has become more common than a ball will end up staying all round, but usually after it's pretty beat up and I'll use it for a practice Ball or the first few holes behind it being required to be switched out.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I use a ball until it gets any scuff marks - I do not want to mark up my clubs (forged irons and modern painted woods get messed up really fast). Sometimes, 4 or 5 rounds and sometime less than one.

Square grooves used to wrinkle the covers, so at least that rarely happens anymore.

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

Until I lose it..... so probably like 3 holes

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

17 hours ago, invee123 said:

I know there are so many different skill levels of golfers out there so I'm genuinely curious how long you guys play/don't lose golf balls while playing. Do you notice more lost balls on harder courses? Do most of you play the same ball when there's little to no hazard on the course? If you do play the same ball for multiple rounds, how many rounds do you end up keeping it? I am curious to know as I am doing the MGS OnCore X2 ball testing and I am curious to know how others value each individual ball not only from a performance perspective but a longevity one, since I assume most people aren't the most concerned with the durability of the ball after ~72+ holes of golf.

As for me, my local municipal courses provide just about 0 water and wide fairways, so I can usually get through 18 with 1 (maybe 2) balls. However, if I do make it a full 18 with the same ball it usually finds it's way in the shag bag after one round.

The acid test is to tap it on your front teeth.  You can tell straight away if it's work hardened into a pebble. 

I changed from ProV1 to Kirkland Signature last year.  Certainly when they are new out of the box they play well but when you've had a couple of rounds out of them they lose their feel.  They tend to graze a lot more easily too

If I do not lose one usually 2 rounds by then it’s too scuffed up and is tossed into “bad round” slot. I’ll have a case of the OBs here and there and there when I use uo the meh ones

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

If it’s a casual round, I think it’s fun to see how long I can use the same ball. I’ll use the same ball until it looks like a beat up range ball. Typically, I lose about a half a golf ball a round.

For more competitive rounds, I’ll replace the balls once they’re scuffed. That’s normally 2-3 balls per round. Still carry 9 balls just in case. I can’t convince myself to have less than that in my bag. 

PXG Gen 4 driver, wood, and hybrid

PXG 0311T Gen 3 irons

Vokey SM8 wedges

Odyssey stroke lab putter

I will use a ball until either I lose it (high handicapper) or it has noticeable wear or damage that I feel like would affect flight and performance characteristics. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I am good for at least 1 lost ball per round. In nice weather I use new balls, but when I am looking for or losing them more than keeping in play I switch to my over played balls (probably not smart but cost effective). Late fall (leaves on the course) through March I use slightly used because I have lost so many in plain sight on good shots. I am testing the OnCore Elixr ball soon, so I will watch the cover more closely compared to Callaway Super Soft which I usually use. 

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

I play the same ball until lost or it becomes scuffed/cut which is about 3-4 rounds.   I keep about a dozen in the bag so not necessarily the exact same ball each time but just an average time before they are replaced.  I have a couple of brands in the bag but only play one brand on the day.  I like to use different brands to experiment around especially when not in a competition. 

Ping G425 Driver, Fairway, Hybrid, Irons, Wedges

Until I lose it!  Or two rounds.

I'm 72 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid set 6,5,4 Hybrids, 7,8,9,PW,GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Odyssey DFX Double Wide 33" putter

Because I work at a golf course, I find balls of every make & model.  The mint ones go in one pocket, medium and water balls into two others.  I lose about four balls per round on some tight courses around Tampa Bay.  If by some miracle, I keep one an entire round, it'll be used as a back up the next time I go out.  The water balls are sacrificed for long carries over the drink all the time.  I'm trying to keep the same ball in play for more consistency and to mentally shake off how bad it feels at times to lose a $5 ball.

I tend to play the ball until it becomes scuffed from the cart path, sand or hardpan.  SO if I am lucky, I have been able to get 2 to 3 rounds from one ball.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

As a golfer who will play up to 4 times a week, I will play the same ball until it is damaged or cut. I will usually put a new ball into play if the round is a tournament for my club. I have been using OnCore Elixr 2022 for the pass 9 months and will be switching to the VeroX1 this summer. 

John Gavazza

I don't start a round with a ball I've previously used.  It's always a ball directly out of the sleeve, especially on courses that are fairly wide open.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I dont know that I have ever used a ball long enough to see it get worn just from play. I am also not a great compressor of the golf ball so i dont think im putting a whole lot of stress on them. Much like a lot of people, I have balls for days the swing is just not working, and balls for when im really feeling it. 

I dont really feel the subtle differences in balls anyways. So I play a ball until I lose it. If it takes a really bad scuff on the cart path i may replace it. 

Edited by Reed all about it

Does a FIR care WHICH fairway its in?

:PXG: Gen 5 - MCA Diamana S+ 60g - S

:PXG: 0211 3W MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - S,

:PXG: 0211 22 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 - S

:PXG: 6i - Pw - V2 Elevate Tour S

:cleveland-small: CBX2 54, 58

:PXG: Gunboat

Like many of y'all, I play a ball until it is damaged by cart path, rocks, etc.  If I'm playing well, that means 27 holes or so.  Living in a college town, we have a good market for previously-owned balls so they never stay around for long.

Now, lost balls are another thing entirely.  It may be three rounds between lost balls or three swings.

If playing an outing/event, I usually take out a sleeve of unused balls.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

My home course has water, woods, and OB legit in play on 9-10 holes. The other holes it’s there but not really in play. I was averaging one lost ball per 18. Some rounds you play the same ball and other rounds you lose 1-2. It ticked up this winter when I got a little wild off the tee…

I will play the same ball until it’s lost. At Pinehurst last year I played one ball all week - 5 full 18 rounds + 27 holes on the short course. Hard to lose balls at Pinehurst!

Ping 425 LST 

Titleist 18* and 24* hybrids

Callway Apex Pro Combo Set (5-PW)

Callway Jaws Wedges (50*, 54*, 58*)

Bettinardi Queen Bee Putter

Until I lose it or it gets a nice cartpath/tree scuff....haha

The course I belong to in Kansas has medium sized fairways, about 10'ish yards of rough, and then the hated prairie grass which is absolutely brutal and unforgiving. Almost every member carries alignment sticks in there bag, so if you are lucky enough to find your ball, you use the stick to mark it while you go back and get your club, which is likely going to be a pitching wedge because that is about all you can use to hit out of that crap, lol

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero