Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

YouTube Lessons...TMI?

I agree with most that has been said, you need to really understand the golf swing + your current swing to get value out of the YouTube golf swing tip videos.

I think there are some great intro to the golf game videos that will help people who have never swung a club have a reasonable starting point. Is it as good as a pro lesson, no. Is it better than advice from a friend, probably.

Mark Crossfield has some great feel drills that I have used to tighten certain things up in my swing that the PGA pro my team works with has pointed out I need to focus on. Granted I have a very good understanding of what a good golf swing should be and a reasonable understanding / ability to feel my swing - know my tendencies when I'm loosing my swing.

I will also say I have enjoy trying some of the short game YouTube video suggestions - mainly about 50 yards in. Rick Shiels had a recent one which I have been trying out some of the suggestions from in my own practice.

I have also subscribed to two of Monty's video series about swing coaching. The one I liked the most had a variety of paths to follow depending on the "feel" that resonated for you to get the outcome you need at various points. It felt slightly more tailored, given the format.

• Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

17 hours ago, GolferXY said:

I think a trend in this conversation is "finding a good instructor".

I would agree. Easier said than done,  not cheap, and may require driving a ways but by far the most effective for the majority of people.

Quick-fix videos have their own gravity and definitely attract your attention, but I would say it's similar to fishing lures designed to attract fishermen and not fish. Another issue I have found is that many of the videos are contrary to one another and may actually create more problems down the line by informing bad habits and cementing them into your game.

XY

Yes finding a good instructor is probably the theme, but in terms of having quicker and longer term success than trying a bunch of videos on YouTube based on one’s perception of their issue which is usually the symptom and not the cause.

Also agree it’s easier said than done and in the DC area golfers have the luxury of lots of choices and some really good instructors that could be right around the corner or for this area a short 1 hour drive.

Agree with your last part, depending on how an instructor thinks about the swing you could find differing opinions on similar topic.

17 hours ago, Golf Fever said:

My scores have dropped and I've been playing so much more consistent since I stopped tweaking my swing with every swing tip I find on youtube.  Having said that, I'm currently watching the shortgamechef, Derek Uyeda, and Eric Cogorno.  Got to get my fix somehow on the days I'm not golfing.

Eric Cogorno is really good. His content is top notch and it’s usually not a quick fix clickbait type video. One of my playing partners took a lesson from him during the winter last year when Eric was in Florida and it helped his already good game out.

Course content like Eric’s, GG’s, Milo Lines and meandmygolf where they walk you thru the swing and where you have access to get feedback is a great option for people. I’ve recommended Eric, GG and Milo’s stuff multiple times as options.

The stuff Eric, Chris Ryan and AMG put out on the basics are the type of YouTube videos that could benefit someone not looking to take lessons. Chris has a beginners series on YouTube that imo is good for beginners as well as those who have been playing for awhile but have issues with the fundamental movements. He has a couple other series of videos on the swing that are real good too

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I feel like everyone has already added more intelligent contributions to this thread so I'll try to add some humor as I always do. I enjoy watching golf lessons and content on YouTube without the intention of implementing anything but more for entertainment value. However after a binge watch of a few videos if I go out to play I find myself thinking like this over the ball:

image.png.d80beaa454c8049ec58af932946bf14d.png

I play my best golf when I'm fresh out bed and just am going through the motions not thinking.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Like everything online, there is some great information and some bad information. As some one who used to give lessons before you tube was popular, I can see where YT can be a great marketing tool. I can get my name out in front of people who are not members of my club and increase my revenue. 

I agree with the main theme of 'finding a good teacher'. If you have an issue in your swing there is not just one fix for it. This is why it's important for some one to watch your swing. If this is live or taped it really doesn't matter. The nice thing about an in person lessons is that you have someone who can make sure you are doing the drill correctly. Which is vital to making the correct swing changes. These changes are not something that will change overnight. It takes time to ingrain some changes and movements.  My first coach used to tell me after each lesson I needed to hit 1000 balls before seeing him again. That's always stuck with me.  

Take your time and enjoy the process. Building a great golf game is a marathon.

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

My .03 cents (inflation ya know 😊).  I think there are some excellent instructors who have started offering YT and pay to watch videos.  I just shared one this morning from Mike Malaska. Excessive grip and upper body tension is generally detrimental. Mike explains it and a suggested solution well.

If one is fairly well versed about swing fundamentals, and are looking to get some help, especially visual, in correcting a particular problem or reinforcing a swing thought, they can be helpful.  That said, I think some get hooked on these and that more often not won't pay dividends.  There is a big difference between virtual instruction with an instructor who has evaluated someone's swing and great, well known instructors simply offering quick generic overviews of basic fundamentals - or worse, that secret move.

Lastly is the issue with people who really have no business being in the business of offering golf instruction.  For those who haven't been spies long enough to separate the "wheat from the chaff", it can be a big ol' scary world out there 😬.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I mean, too much, not really. But it's hard to know which one to work on. I recently watched the golf fix explain 3 different types of leg use in the golf swing. I have been trying all of them. Now I know which type I am. So all that time was wasted trying the ones that won't benefit me. I wish it was more cut & dry. I wish they listed who the lesson is for more specifically instead of generically. Example, how Lexi drives her legs down then up in her transition. I can't use that. I go weight back and forward. More like an ice skater or whatever that guy on the golf fix said. The 1st day going out understanding about my transition better, I hit the ball way better. 

Edited by golfrdude
Typo

🏌️‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend (YouTube) "Porzak Golf".  As A 50+ year golfer I can easily relate to his instruction. Essentially you are just watching a pro giving a lesson to a golfer and the focus is on 1 flaw. All the videos are shot outdoors on a range; the production quality is excellent. I watch them even if the focus is on something I am not struggling with. His explanations are excellent and oftentimes the Ball tracer is used so you can see the shot. Give him a watch, you won't be disappointed.  I am following just about all the top notch online instructors and firmly believe he is the best. 

51 minutes ago, knnth.prnc said:

Here is an excellent example of the "lessons" available at Porzak youtube channel - this lessons dealt with early extension.

The TRUTH About Early Extension and How To FIX It

Thanks!  I've only watched a few of his videos and I like it already.   

Left-handed | Driver: Callaway Epic Max | Fairways: Tour Edge E522 | Hybrids: Tour Edge E522 | Irons: Tour Edge E722 | Wedges: Cleveland RTX Full Face (56 & 60) | Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (crescent neck)

On 5/20/2023 at 10:28 PM, GolferXY said:

There are certainly a lot of folks online that claim to have "The secret move!", the way to "Get the swing you always wanted", etc. etc.  We've all seen them, and I venture a guess that, like me, at some point we've all had a go at the methods, examples and assurances that these videos provide.  But have any of them worked for you?

Personally,  I think a lot of the information is so general that  those who are new to the game may really benefit, and some of the information is so regimented and directed at specific swing elements that established golfer swings can be messed up if you adopt them.  

I've come to the conclusion if I am interested in improving my golf game, the only way....I repeat, the only way, to improve is to find a golf pro that can understand your strengths and weaknesses and address them with you individually. Unfortunately for most, and I certainly count myself among that fine group, we just don't have the money to spend on ongoing lessons. So, is trying to improve using online teachers and videos a losing proposition, or have you found someone that you watch that consistently helps with your golf game?  If you have, who works for you?

-XY

XY,

Sounds like I'm a lot like you. I've put my time in with in-person lessons, and yet I still find myself sucked into the black hole of YouTube styled on-line lessons. I agree 100% that the way to get the fastest improvement in your swing and in your game is with an in-person coach. The biggest difference with them is their second set of eyes. When we look up on-line lessons we are basing most of the searching on self assessment. When our self assessment is wrong - and sorry folks, that is the case more often than not - we look up an online lesson that doesn't address the actual cause of our problem. An good in-person coach will be able to address the cause rather than just creating a different result.

The up-side to online video coaching is, it's always there. One thing we tend to forget about the golf coaching business is that it is VERY transient. Teaching pros move around. A LOT. I thought I moved around a lot in the military, but now that I've burned a brain cell on the idea, seems like my golf coaches have moved around just as much. I've been in my current location now 7 years, and I just had to change coaches for the 5th time. And the only reason the last one lasted so long was he worked out of his brick-and-mortar golf shop. Don't get me wrong, I had success with almost all of them, I had to change because they all relocated.

What to look for in a good in-person coach? 1. They need to focus on fundamentals first. Fixing flawed fundamentals goes a long way to improving a swing quickly. 2. They adjust your swing, they don't train you into a swing type. 3. They incorporate video of YOU swinging the golf club so you get a visual image to go along with what you feel in the swing. 4. Effective communication with the student - you have to be able to understand their input and translate that into changing your swing.

Even saying all that, there are a couple of really good video based coaches I like. The guys at Athletic Motion Golf do a really good job of explaining the mechanics of the golf swing and breaking down the misperceptions created when we see a two dimentsional image of a swing that is functioning in three dimensions. Eric Cogorno Golf is another one. I think he is partnered now with the Performance Golf subscription site though most of his content is available free on YouTube. I'm also a Performance Golf subscriber. The Martin Chuck lessons there have been good for me, but that is paid content.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

On 5/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

I use to watch numerous instructors to the point of overload. I finally gave up and found a great instructor (I think he's #5) and he takes a video of my swing for a specific club before & after with an audio commentary. That video makes more sense because I can see the before & after side by side. Not to mention I can refer to saved videos in the future when I need a refresher. 

I think we might be using the same instructor....🙂

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

2 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

I think we might be using the same instructor....🙂

Greg Coffin? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Greg Coffin? 

Yep

• 3 weeks later...

There are certainly a lot of folks online that claim to have "The secret move!", the way to "Get the swing you always wanted", etc. etc.  We've all seen them, and I venture a guess that, like me, at some point we've all had a go at the methods, examples and assurances that these videos provide.  But have any of them worked for you?

Personally,  I think a lot of the information is so general that  those who are new to the game may really benefit, and some of the information is so regimented and directed at specific swing elements that established golfer swings can be messed up if you adopt them.  

I've come to the conclusion if I am interested in improving my golf game, the only way....I repeat, the only way, to improve is to find a golf pro that can understand your strengths and weaknesses and address them with you individually. Unfortunately for most, and I certainly count myself among that fine group, we just don't have the money to spend on ongoing lessons. So, is trying to improve using online teachers and videos a losing proposition, or have you found someone that you watch that consistently helps with your golf game?  If you have, who works for you?

-XY

As someone who is relatively new to this board but not to golf and the instruction side of things. I spent the better part of a decade teaching people how to make solid contact with the ball, and the one thing i have come to realize is a staple of golf is that no two swings are alike, and there cannot be ONE "Secret move" to achieve everyone's goal. I have worked with persons of all ages, youth golfers, high school wannabe's, College players and some low level pros back when i was teaching. 

Now to the videos you are referencing, yes I have see them and I have noticed that they are more of a general statement about a golf swing that one person's swing inparticular, and do not take into account any one person's body type, flexibility, physical restraints, etc...as a teacher if i can get you into the best hitting possition you can achieve than i have done 1/2 of my part as a teacher. I believe whole-heartedly that these vidoes are nothing more than click bait for you to try and see if it helps. If that's what you want , than keep watching. I typically just keep scrolling when i see them. Most of the videos i watch are most of the TPI guys and Dr Kwon. anything that has to do with the physiology and body science of the golf swing. Most "Swing instructors" know how the swing affects their swing personally and have no regard for any other person's physical build or swing makeup. 

In case anyone is curious, I have been out of the instruction game for alomost 10 years. I still love the game just couldn't keep up with a growing family on what I made from working and teaching at my course. 

Former club pro who left the business in 2013, still enjoy playing in competitive settings. Enjoy teaching the hold swing and learning new techniques. 

Even elite professionals rely on coaches. What makes anyone here think they can self diagnose and correct using YouTube videos is beyond me, YMMV. And if there were really "tricks" and "secret moves" that made a big difference, we'd all know about them...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO like everything else the more you educate yourself the more you help yourself.  I don’t watch YT to fix my swing, I use it for training ideas, learn about swing mechanics and things like that.  There are some YT people, for me like MrShortGame, that I can’t watch, but it’s just me some people love him.  Top speed golf clay Ballard had a tip that just clicked with me and I can now diagnose and fix quickly on my big push slice and releases the club head.  

I know a good teacher would advance my game miles however and like others have said is generally the best option.  My problem is I have looked into teachers in my area and they don’t get the best ratings and driving a long distance for lessons is tough at this time.

Great option, video yourself!  You see the problems on YT and you if you have educated yourself a little you’ll see the big issues quickly.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

What I think my swing is doing versus what it is really doing is an issue so watching a youtube video isn't going to give me feedback, only possible general solutions that I can try (which may end up messing my swing up more than fixing it).  A good pro can watch you swing and make those adjustments.  Having said that, it's been a long while since I've seen a pro to tune up my swing. 

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

8 minutes ago, rhaze91 said:

There are some YT people, for me like MrShortGame, that I can’t watch, but it’s just me some people love him.  

I know a good teacher would advance my game miles however and like others have said is generally the best option.  My problem is I have looked into teachers in my area and they don’t get the best ratings and driving a long distance for lessons is tough at this time.

I don’t like mrshortgame either so you aren’t alone 😂

in todays golf lesson market, online instruction has come a long way and platforms like skillest and coachnow have connected students and instructors  that aren’t local to each other.  Several forum members have used Jayson Nickol on skillest and have had good success. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

30 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

What I think my swing is doing versus what it is really doing is an issue so watching a youtube video isn't going to give me feedback, only possible general solutions that I can try (which may end up messing my swing up more than fixing it).  A good pro can watch you swing and make those adjustments.  Having said that, it's been a long while since I've seen a pro to tune up my swing. 

The bolder part applies to the vast majority of golfers, even some who think they know what they are looking at are wrong because they are diagnosing symptoms and trying to fix those and don’t know the cause and the cause is what they should be fixing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

listen to this man... he knows a few things

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Perfect timing for Tiger to display his advice yesterday. "Don't watch YouTube video's." 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

YouTube can definitely be an overload of information, but it can also be a useful tool for golfers looking for certain drills or information about how to improve. However to echo what others have said here, an in person instructor is always preferred. 

In my own experience, I didn't see a ton of progress with an in-person instructor earlier this year, so I tried leaning more on YouTube instructors that simplified the golf swing in ways that resonated with my learning style. However, this resulted in me thinking I was doing certain things right, while actually enforcing new improper techniques.

I would take YouTube and other social media golf instructional content with a grain of salt and try to work with an in-person instructor if you're able. I can understand firsthand how expensive these instructors can be, so try using resources like Skillest (online instructional platform) that offer promotions. PGA Superstore, Golftec and other retail locations may also offer discounts on lessons.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

I completely agree. I've highlighted the areas of your original post that really resonated with me.

I've been one to really dive into free online golf "lessons" on YouTube for the last two seasons and I can't say that I had much success finding A game altering technique or a "magic move" for the simple reason that it doesn't exist: The golf swing is a chain of finely timed and precise movements occuring in a fraction of a second. As a result, changing any area of the swing likely has a significant impact on another.

However, I have honestly seen an improvement in my strikes (quality, consistency, dispersion and even distance) due to all the practice that I accumulated exploring numerous aspects of my golf swings and trying to correct some issues. In the end, some techniques did end up being incorporated in my swing and making it better.

Using YouTube lessons to get better at the game is a perfectly good thing to do for golfers of all skills in my opinion. The main caveat is that golfers consmuming this content have to be somewhat educated on the the swing in general and quite knowledgeable about key aspects  (mainly issues) of their own swing.

Also, consuming content from the right content creators is the key to success. As much as I like Good Good and Grant Horvat, I would not recommend the Good Good Labs videos to anyone really.

To me, channels offering good general insights about the golf swing are Scratch Golf Academy (Adam Bazalgette), Top Speed Golf - Clay Ballard and, to a certain extent, Danny Maude.

For golfers interested in going in depth and that have an advanced comprehension of the golf swing in general and, most importantly, of their own swing, it doesn't get much better than what Athletic Motion Golf (Shaun Webb and Mike Granato) do.

Edited by Shlax
Typos

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

• 2 months later...

Your experience with blending YouTube lessons into your golf journey is interesting! It's a fine balance, right? I get that it can be tough to navigate, especially when trying to align those online pointers with personal progress. And I feel you on the expense of in-person instructors – it's like investing in your swing but with a bit of a price tag.

By the way, has anyone here delved into what is YouTube automation? Intriguing topic that popped up in my mind. Always looking for new tech insights, and maybe there's some cool automation magic happening in the world of YouTube!

Edited by obojaiu

Youtube can be fun to watch but to quote Gary Player, it can become "paralysis of over analysis".

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist