Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Gimme Putts

With the groups I usually play with, we putt out Par and Birdies, and putter shaft length and in for a gimme past that.  To me that keeps the putts that matter still being rolled, and keeping the game moving when we are already past par(and usually climbing rapidly🤣)

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

It all comes down to who you’re playing with and what you’re playing for. If you’re playing a casual round with buddies and having a good time, then take the gimmie, give the gimmie, enjoy! Obviously if you’re trying to establish a legit handicap or playing in some sort of tournament, then putt everything out. 

with all that being said, if you were playing a casual game of poker with your friends, youre not just gonna give them the pot because they were close to flush or a straight.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:43 PM, MJ McNamara said:

Question. Are gimme putts good for the game or are they bad for your golf game.
I’ve played with lots of players that love giving gimme putts because they want them returned in kind. 
I don’t like this, Ive upset players by saying, no sorry I’ll putt it out. 
My reasoning for this is when I really need to make a putt in say a tourney stroke play or a match play event then I can draw on the fact that I’m comfortable making them. 

For myself, gimme putts are in play to help speed up the game of golf.

What length do people feel is a gimme putt? 

Some say within the shaft and up to the bottom of the putter grip is a gimme, I say when it’s sitting on the edge of the cup. 

General rule for us, "inside the leather" of the putter grip - we can call that a gimme.  Outside the leather - debatable, highly unlikely to happen UNLESS we are hard pressed on time (which is the only real reason it exists).  Some of the guys will still putt it out anyway inside the leather, and that is ok as well.  What I hate is when we call the gimme and someone stands over it for 3 minutes practicing their arc stroke and misses it anyway.  That is annoying AND keeps play slow. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

1 hour ago, Stevenhp said:

I like to hole everything out. I get a little annoyed when after a long putt they decide if it’s a gimme. I always thought the standard length was the club grip, but with the newer grips and longer putters that’s not the case. I insist on holing out birdie and par putts.

I agree - birdie and par putts require sinking it, even if in the leather (so within the grip of the putter).  No one I play with gives those away typically. You have to earn it.  On the triple bogey we do it. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I personally prefer to putt everything to stay sharp.  In our Tuesday league Par putts or better cannot be gimmes no matter how close they are.  I will give a one footer during league play for bogey or worse.  A lot of guys are very lax though and I think it really depends on how "easy" the putt is perceived to be.  They would likely give a gimme to someone putting like a pro that day with a 3 foot level putt.  If it is a 3 footer on a severe side slope they are going to have to putt.

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 5i-PW (bent to old school lofts, similar to Ping's Retro Spec) - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:ping-small: G425 50* wedge - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

The group I play with most often does give puts, 1-2ft, however we are only playing for fun and it does help us keep moving. The golf league I played in does as well however those are typically 1ft or less and never for a birdie.

Typically a bogey golfer although I have improved some over the past few years due to playing more.

Driver: Ping G400

3W: Ping G410

Irons: Ping G430 5-U 

Wedge: Vokey SM8

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum 

I see many people here responding that they would never concede a birdie putt. I suspect many of us on this forum are like me and putting for par or bogey is regular thing, and just as difficult as a birdie putt, so let's get rid of the bullshit. Any putt is as important as any other. Would you concede the longest drive to another player? Closest to the pin? I suggest we all just play the game and finish every hole the way it was meant to be played. Some of those devious course designers put those holes in places for a reason, and I fully intend to curse them out every time I get the chance.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX 10.5

Takomo 101 Irons

all 4 Tokomo SkyForger wedges

If it is to win or halve the hole, I don’t care how short the putt is, you are going to have to putt it out if you are playing against me.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

If it's for fun, nothing wrong with 2' gimmies.

If it's for anything at all, putt everything out to avoid disputes.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

No such thing as a “gimmie”

nor a “Mulligan”

WITB...Taylor Made driver, Callaway Steelhead 15’ 3 metal, Cleveland 19’ rescue, 5-SW Callaway Steelhead irons, 60’ Titleist Vokey wedge, 🤦‍♂️Various putters.

Giving putts is part of match play, and strategic in nature. Giving putts in stroke play is questionable.

That being said, since I do neither, most of the time my group auto 2 putts as our greens aren't that good. We don't play for anything other than fun.  Most people would say that that ruins your putting but I won the last putting contest I entered. I probably hit 50 putts a day on my birdie putting mat.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

With the guys I play with in our men's leagues, no such thing as a gimme.  No such thing unless you are picking up for a triple bogey.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

It is situational dependent...and my mood. Serious rounds always putt it out.  Messing with friends gimmes 18 inches or so are OK. Our league doesn't have an official stance, but between 4 somes basically decide.  There are 2 teams I can think of that I usually allow gimmes almost as soon as they get on the green. They are very slow and deliberate and elderly. 90+. I'm just happy they are out there. Absolutely no way they could beat me so to speed up the game I'm very liberal.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I've played with a couple people that are getting older and are developing mobility issues.  They're more or less putting towards a five foot circle around the pin after which they pick up and move on.  Dropping a long putt is worth the cranky body parts, though.

The only time I take gimmes is on the "get me outta here" holes.  Generally when I've passed triple bogey and/or missed what should have been an easy third putt.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

First what does it matter to you ? It depends on the game your playing if gambling . It speeds up play. Whats next play the ball down ( no touch ) . Pro's play by the rules weekday golfers play for fun. you give putts all day long then someone needs to make a two foot putt for birdie for a few bucks . that's when you say putt it out. 

My take on gimme putts is that YOU own your handicap and I am not going to influence your approach to keeping track of how you play in regards to your handicap.  So, I never tell anyone to pick up a putt, it is their decision to rake it away or putt it .  Tournament golf is totally a different story as you play by the rules of golf.   If you want a handicap that is lower because you never miss 1 or 2 footers due to picking it up , that's your call . Not a fan of gimme's.

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I putt out every hole and record the putts I stroke even if my partners donate one to me.  It’s just the way I do it. 

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Unless really backed up, I think a player who isn't clowning around is ok to hole out.  I hate person who wants to replay every 5 to 10 footer they miss.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Some in our weekly game allow gimmies and some do not. I prefer to putt everything out. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

I have no issue with true gimmes (say 2 or 3 feet), but I definitely do know some guys that get a little too generous with them, and then will just pick their ball up or half-heartedly putt their 4 or 5 footers that I would never give. 

At the end of the day, if we're not playing for money i couldn't care less. If you want to shave a couple strokes to inflate the ego a little bit, what do i care. You're only hurting yourself by artificially lowering the HC

It does annoy me when they just toss you your ball on something i wouldn't even give me myself. There's something satisfying about hitting cups and seeing the ball go in the hole

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

Gimme putts can keep the game moving. Speed of play issues, etc. Having said that, isn’t it the point of the game to get the ball in the hole…that sound of a ball rattling around the bottom of the cup? I prefer no gimmes for myself. I like that feeling of victory when the ball goes in, no matter how many strokes.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

I prefer to putt everything out, and my weekend group knows this.  As for gimmes, we operate from the "everyone keeps their own score, however they want" philosophy.  Tournament play, clearly no gimmes.  For money among friends, I still say its the groups decision.  On my recent golf trip, the rule was you had to putt out for bogey, once you got to double or worse, you querried the group on if the lag putt you just left at 4 feet was good for a 7.  With 5 foursomes on the courses, and being cognizant of pace of play, pretty much anything inside of 6 feet was good for double or worse.

And contrary to some comments, I understand everyone has paid their money, and I don't want to  "mess" with anyone's handicap(which only a fraction of anyone who plays this game will ever use for anything), and NO I have not been appointed "Pace of play Czar", by anyone, but on busy weekends, it is aggravating to observe a group  "grinding" over 2-4 footers for double bogey or worse, presumably because there is $2 on the line.  That is why our group attempts to avoid this at almost any cost now, by playing wherever we need to, in order to get a tee time in the first half hour 40 minutes of tee times.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 5/29/2023 at 3:47 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Does skill level ever come into play when you are allowing gimmes?

Absolutely! Our league allows gimmes at the discretion of only the opposing player. There are some very good putters in our league that I will be more generous with my gimmes and some that terrible putters who will have a shorter range in my mind. I also do the math on where our scores stand - tight match or I need the hole/point, gimmes just got shorter. If it's a blow-out either way, more generous.

I don't know why, but I'm a little surprised that there are so many very strong opinions on the topic.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

OK, here's a question that has surfaced on the gimmes..............Normal playing round with your group and there's a couple of bucks on the line and your playing partners say on a putt, that's good pick it up and you decide to putt it anyway and you miss it...........what's the/your position on what happened? Does the gimme count or does the missed stroke now count.  

Total Callaway bag - except putter

OK, here's a question that has surfaced on the gimmes..............Normal playing round with your group and there's a couple of bucks on the line and your playing partners say on a putt, that's good pick it up and you decide to putt it anyway and you miss it...........what's the/your position on what happened? Does the gimme count or does the missed stroke now count.  

I’d go with match play rules which state that once a hole is conceded it cannot be revoked. Thus once you concede the putt the hole is complete.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

I prefer to putt everything out, and my weekend group knows this.

Same. I have missed 1.5 ft putts before so I know this is something I have to stay sharp on. I am not a competitive player and I play golf courses very short so I already have that advantage. Plus, it would only make me think I am a better player than I actually am and I need to stay as humble as possible because...well...golf is humbling. I don't really care if other people give themselves putts or not. Whatever helps people enjoy the game. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832