Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

When is the first time you noticed that you’re old!

I’m 70 now.  My circle of good players is shrinking.  Injuries have forced retirements and some have moved up to the last tee box..the pine box.  I’m in great shape and work in the gym to stay that way.   Running out of friends that can “play” and competitive events tricks balls.  I thought maybe another type of golf outlet.  Anyone?    My first slap in the face old experience…..when guys that I thought looked older than me, open the door for me walking into Quick Trip.  Here ya go sir!😇.         Blow me!🤬

Ping G25 10.5,  Ventus R55

Ping G25,  Diamanna 5,7,9

PXG Gen 5 0311P, 6-GW

PXG SD, 52-56-62

Custom P,  Scotty Select Newport 2

... Noticed I'm old? Thankfully not yet. I am 70 and on the inside I still feel like a teenager. But my body just can't seem to hang with the program. I'll look at my chest and arms in the mirror after working out and smile looking like I am still in my 40's, then look down at the veins on my legs that evidently also want to take a look in the mirror instead of staying well beneath the surface of my skin where they belong. 🫣

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

When I started working with people who went to school with my son; that was a pretty good indication that while I may not be old, I'm definitely no longer young.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I think it was when guys we are hiring were born after I started working in the industry. 

Or when my friends’ kids are asking me if I have any full time jobs openings / available. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

When my new boss is 1/2 my age, and I have met his parents and they are both younger than I am.  🙄

I first met him when he started as a co-op, and then a college student in training, and I only stayed working to see him succeed in his new role.

Don't really feel old, just the realities of these facts make me realize that I am no "spring chicken."  🤪

Still very active and physically fit, so from that aspect some other people think I am actually 10+ years younger than I really am.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

Ha! 1992 at the ripe old age of 28, lying in a military hospital in San Antonio, I decided I was too old to be a soldier any more. I could keep up, but the young guys (8-10 years younger) could recover in a few hours, and it took me a couple of days. It turned out that I never fully recovered, that part took years to develop, but I had decided to change my career path that night. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Not me, I don’t have a daughter and was not there. But I had a friend who told that he knew old when he went to a stripper bar, and a stripper told him that his daughter had been one of her teachers in high school. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

When I retired from the Army, I looked at the new 2nd LT's coming in and couldn't believe how young they looked. Old didn't hit me yet as I was still able to out run and out PT most of the folks in my command but looking at the new crop of platoon leaders did take me aback. 30 years later and in my 2nd retirement I discovered old was trying to keep up with 6 grandkids under 10. So I'm playing golf with them to slow them down a bit so I can catch up.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

2 hdcp!  You must be in decent shape to hang with that handicap in the American kingdom of golf, Phoenix.  Chisag.   I’ve noticed in my age group who ever wakes up feeling the best…wins. 

Ping G25 10.5,  Ventus R55

Ping G25,  Diamanna 5,7,9

PXG Gen 5 0311P, 6-GW

PXG SD, 52-56-62

Custom P,  Scotty Select Newport 2

Two weeks ago when I wound up with heat exhaustion. Probably minutes away from heat stroke and an ambulance ride. I was doing just fine for the past 64 years with a 28 year old mind. Reality check was a tough one. First time I was actually concerned. The old guy I see in the mirror is definitely someone else.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

When is the first time you noticed that you’re old!

When I looked in the mirror a few weeks ago and it started laughing back at me.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

When I was in my thirties, I played basketball at the Y. One day I realized my toes were no longer leaving the floor on jump shots. It’s been downhill ever since. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

The 1st time I felt old was whe I realized I could remember my dad being my age, probably in my late 20s.

On the flip side, I was playing in a group a couple of weeks ago with a guy in his mid 20s. Mind you I was playing great, I shot 3 over on the front which was the 1st time I had broken 40 on that 9.  After we made the turn he said "I think they let you move up to the black tees at 60".  I told him I know I swing like an old man, but I'm only 49. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

When I realized I had become the golfer I used to hate.  Like many "senior" golfers, I would hit relatively short drives, a fairway wood to a par 4 that comes up short and have to chip and putt to save par.   I hated those "older" guys when i was a young golfer and now I'm one of them!

Also, when I started having body parts replaced with artificial joints (e.g. left knee).  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
21 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Two weeks ago when I wound up with heat exhaustion. 

Tom, sure hope you are feeling better now. Any words of wisdom for us "ole" folk?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

16 minutes ago, Dweed said:

Tom, sure hope you are feeling better now. Any words of wisdom for us "ole" folk?

I’m doing well now. Played today and walked the course.

Wisdom,  start hydrating the night before for morning rounds. At least the morning of for afternoon rounds. Adult Pedialtye powder packs that you mix with a bottle of water tastes the best out of several things I tried. Get a routine and stick to it. Take a swig after your tee shot or after you leave the green or a time that works for you that  you can add into your routine. Make sure you eat before your round and have a snack in your bag. Real hot days you might want to snack on some beef jerky. They have a high salt content and that will help.
I learned this all the hard way unfortunately, and many of these suggestions came from other forum members. But this is what my routine consists of now. Today was the first test and I was fine and it was in the mid 90’s.

Most importantly, know when to say when. It’s ok to walk off the course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Honestly a couple years ago. I'm not old by any means (35) but I noticed my body simply not recovering like it once had. 

Throw in 2 kids now and a busier than ever work schedule and I really feel the wear and tear.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just recently…sore for a couple of days after a round.  
But I also look at stone of the older golfers with admiration…I have seen so many that can only the ball 200 and walk away shooting right around even par.  Round was fairway, green, maybe a chip and a 1 or 2 putt all day long!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I'm 74 next month. I wonder if I just haven't been concentrating for - oh -the last 40 years? Still think I am that guy who won a ton of stuff in his early 30s before my great future was behind me 😂. Now I have a metal hip, an inguinal hernia, cataracts, neuropathy in both feet and a playing handicap of 4 which does not reflect even my potential at the moment.

Enjoy every moment people, life goes by way too quickly.

Interesting - me?

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Honestly a couple years ago. I'm not old by any means (35) but I noticed my body simply not recovering like it once had. 

Throw in 2 kids now and a busier than ever work schedule and I really feel the wear and tear.

My friend, just wait until you turn 50 and then 65.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

4 hours ago, GaDawg said:

My friend, just wait until you turn 50 and then 65.

... It reminds me of the Brian Regan routine about being older where he said he visited a new Dr and when asked what was wrong he said he had this spot about the size of a tennis ball just above his right knee. Above the knee cap and right on the meaty part of his leg. Just that one spot. It is the only place on his entire body that is pain free and he wanted to know if the Dr could make the rest of his body feel like that one spot. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Several milestones come to mind.

• The first time I hired an engineer who wasn’t born when I started my career. Hired quite a few before…
  • …When I retired.
  • When my parents passed away in 2015 & 2018.
  • I’ve stayed in decent condition, never had any injuries at all - until age 67, then several small nuisance injuries (tennis elbow, knee injury from attempting to run instead of walk for exercise, thumb injury while mowing, etc.)
  • I turn 70 next year…sure sounds old to me. Will start Soc Sec at 70…you have to be old to collect.

I play golf regularly with more than 20 guys near my age. It’s surprising the range of fit vs unfit among them. One of our best players is 78 and walks year round. There are others who are barely 60 who couldn’t walk a round if they had to.

The trick is to stay active no matter how old you are, and that’s what we do. My Dad played golf until he was about 90 yo, Mom played until well into her 80’s. They both walked daily for exercise, stay active and kept trim, so their quality of life extended well beyond average. That’s our goal, wifey and I.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I know I’m old (74 for a few more months), but I refuse to “act old”.  That’s all that I am going to say on this subject, other than if you admit that you’re old and act accordingly, you TRULY ARE OLD!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I'm 76, and expect to feel old at 85. Recently diagnosed with blood cancer (MDS) and was given 18 months, however I'm not accepting it. Still playing executive courses 5 days a week, and work on the putting courses every day. 

Edited by excourse

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Good move not accepting the “death sentence”, Joe!  I have had three types of cancer Prostate, Skin and Leukemia) since 2017, and if I listened to some of the doctors, I would have been sitting/laying around just waiting to expire.  I keep on plugging away, and will do so until I actually drop.

I play golf 2 to 4 times a week, and continue to play music at every opportunity. My band plays gigs most weekends, rehearsing once a week as well. Tomorrow, we are playing a festival in Wilmington, DE with lots of other bands whose members are less than half our ages…and we will probably smoke all of those young guns.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!