Do you break your wrists chipping or keep them solid or both?

higherplane

Practicing see many different methods, was taught to break wrist but switched 2 years ago to solid wrist as fewer moving parts, question what do you think is better and why?    

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this one.

I do both, mainly as a method to regulate distance, with both chipping and pitching clubs. For carrying it up to 20 yards, I use no wrist break. Beyond that it's gradually more wrist break (with a longer swing).

One is not better than the other; just better for each golfer.  A few years ago I gave Phil's "Hinge and Hold" method a try.  Wasn't for me.  My wrists are crap anyway, so less is better for me.  I patterned my shots off Stricker's method, but even he doesn't keep them solid... there is a little break, and longer shots have more break.  The only solid wrist shots I use are putts and bump and runs with my putting stroke.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I break my wrists and rotate. Works for me. Depending on lie I will break more if I have to be more steep. This was something my coach and I worked on the end of last year and I am never going back

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

As solid as I can. I try to “keep the triangle” and change distance via length of backswing. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Depends on the shot I am hitting and how you want to control the traj of the ball. I would practice both just so you can have options around the green.  I feel that you need a solid stock chip with limited wrist motion and then more creative shot that require more loft being delivered and the wrists to move ala the short game chef style. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

before I answer, what are you considering a chipping?   I see numerous definitions that range from the basic off the green chip to 20+ yard pitch shots.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you are referring to chipping as being off the green 10-15 yards, I use my 50* wedge and use my putting stroke. If a have to carry a bunker, I will use 56 or 60*.

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

before I answer, what are you considering a chipping?   I see numerous definitions that range from the basic off the green chip to 20+ yard pitch shots.  

Beat me to it and curious to see what the definition is.

but will say that for most pitch and all chips there’s no wrist set for me

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I try to keep things as simple and consistent as possible. My pitch shots max out around 30 yards with 7 yards of carry. I keep my wrists as still as I can and rotate from shoulders / core. I change carry and run by using different clubs but always the same setup 

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I use wrists even with putting. I think the whole “take your hands out and use the big muscles” is nuts. Putting and chipping are delicate. Can you sign your name using the big muscles? Can you spin your body faster than you can slap someone? Pick your line and landing spot and focus on the speed with you wrists supported by the body.  Get the speed right and you will likely be within 5’. Get it wrong and it doesn’t matter what muscles or technique you used. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

1 hour ago, RoverRick said:

I use wrists even with putting. I think the whole “take your hands out and use the big muscles” is nuts. Putting and chipping are delicate. Can you sign your name using the big muscles? Can you spin your body faster than you can slap someone? Pick your line and landing spot and focus on the speed with you wrists supported by the body.  Get the speed right and you will likely be within 5’. Get it wrong and it doesn’t matter what muscles or technique you used. 

@RoverRick you and I are definitely opposite on this one. I don’t use my wrists when chipping, and I keep them as calm as possible while putting as well. For putting I have more of a pendulum swing from my shoulders instead if my wrists. Not trying to create a heated debate — just highlighting the difference.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

@Hacker60521 In putting, I try to keep my left side as stable as possible with my arm against my side but my left wrist subtle. I have a couple of inches between my hands and pull back and push through with my right hand. I feel as though my left side provides the base and a hinge where the club face cannot twist. I’ve missed numerous putts because of misreads or speed issues, but I do not recall missing one and feeling like I twisted the club face off line or “made a bad stroke” in a month. 

In January, I tried every form of putting, but I find it very easy to twist my shoulders when I try to just rock my shoulders. 

In chipping, I of course allow my body to turn in support of my hands (which are really just clamps, and it is wrists that move). But I am more a “hands provide the speed” player all the time. I’ve gone back and forth with this, but when ai try the “body provides speed” swings, I end up injuring myself. 

You are 100% right. There are many ways to do this and every teacher likes his way to do things and thinks it’s best. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Since we haven't gotten a definition, a chip to me is a low shot that runs on the ground much more than it carries through the air.  I try to use little to no wrist in this.  At the First Tee, we teach kids to make the letter Y with their arms and the shaft of the club and to keep that Y intact.  

A short shot that carries through the air at least as much as it rolls out (if not more) is a pitch to me.  I try to use the Parker McLachlin simple pitch method, which really takes the wrist out of the shot.  

I hadn't actually seen my interpretation of this technique until today, when my buddies unearthed some footage we shot earlier this year and released the CBX Full Face 2 wedge review.

The camera adds 20 pounds, so there are obviously three cameras on me.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think I would say both, but more I have a different feeling of which hand is leading the way. For bunkers I usually have my bottom hand feeling like it is guiding and the power for my shot. Then for others I have my top hand feeling like it is guiding the stroke. I dont actually pay much attention to what my wrists are doing. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I use both depending on the situation depending on my lie and the shot that I'm required to make. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I fall under the "depends on the situation" camp.

I can go out to about 50 yards without breaking my wrists. I just go to a 50* or PW for that longer of a distance to make it happen.

Anything more than that I'll adjust loft, utilize the partial swing, and go a little more wrist break. I just try and keep the wrist break to as small as required verses a full break on partial swings. I use a version of the clock method for those partial swings with break. The higher on the clock, the more break.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of this Phil Mickelson series called Secrets of the Short Game. Lots of great short game instruction, from long and short pitches, chip shots, bunkers, putting, and playing difficult turf conditions and lies near the green.  I think that consistently following his advice on set up and stroke fundamentals helped my short game a lot a few years ago. Started saving a LOT more pars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzY7TIMnMU&list=PLPC2xk2dt2cKUVehHVytOlkS5K998abw5&index=8&pp=gAQBiAQB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBv_OA8ZE3A&list=PLPC2xk2dt2cKUVehHVytOlkS5K998abw5&index=9&pp=gAQBiAQB

WITB - Left handed - all regular shafts

• Driver Stealth 2, Golfpride tour wrap with mid-size grip
  • 3 wood Nike Covert
  • 4 hybrid Taylor Made M6
  • 5 hybrid Callaway Epicflash
  • 6i-pw Callaway Apex cf16 forged
  • 50 degree Cleveland RTX zip core
  • 52 degree Kirkland
  • 54 degree TM Hi Toe
  • 58 degree Cleveland RTX
  • Putter Spider EX Super Stroke with Fatso 3.0 grip

Unless it is an excessively long chip, I try to keep my wrists solid. 

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

I keep the wrists out of chips and pitches as much as possible.   It’s one of the best parts of my game.  I try to picture chips as putts and want to at least make it past the hole to give it a chance to go in or at the most an up and down.  Back in the late 70’s/80’s I used a 7 iron mostly but  now depending on the lie and distance I will mostly use a PW but will go to a different  club if needed to make sure I can get to the back of the ball first.  I rarely use my 52 or 56 wedge because for me they are very easy to mess the shot up.   I prefer full or mostly full shots with those wedges. 

Callaway B21, Callaway Epic 3W, PXG Gen 4 irons, Odyssey Tank putter

Mostly keep the wrist quiet while chipping. Have some stock yardages:

30 and 40 yards=58 wedge

50 yards=54 wedge

60 yards=50 wedge

Place the ball just inside the back foot and use a straight back straight through putt stroke that is slightly longer. Hands ahead with a square clubface. Not much if any body rotation. This is a good running chip method for me. If one doesn't stay down though this shot it is a shank waiting to happen. Practice it every day. Can use it for low ball flight for longer than 60 yards but that requires a lot of practice and feel figuring out yardages. 

When pitching, break the wrists with the ball maybe an inch forward of the chipping spot which gets height and more spin. Play this with more of the bounce. I am with the group that uses the body to turn through the ball, facilitated by lifting my right heel a little. If I am short sided with a bunker or hazard, I make sure to get it on the green and take the bogey if I miss the putt. Probably the only time I don't go for it when in trouble.

Difference between pitching and chipping for me is the height of the ball. I chip most of the time because our greens are open to the front and at least one side and it is easier to adjust the stock yardage for green speed than figure out bounce bounce stop.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I think the answer to this question is actually both. I prefer a solid wrist for a majority of chip shots. However when I’m in need of something special I will break my wrist and I’ll only do it with my 60 in my hand. It also depends on lie conditions and other factors. I do not recommend wrist flipping on any tight lies or you will find out how to hit a 30 yard blade shot on command.

I chip/pitch, with solid wrists, back to a distance of @ 50-60 Yards.  Keeping feet close together, open to my target, using less lofted wedges the further I get from the hole.  No wrist break until I am far enough away to make regular set up, more or less 3/4 to full power swing.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV