Help please

Badams69

Need some ideas if anyone has found themselves struggling to narrow down shaft weight flex, seems this forum gets so many more views:

*please overlook my rambling, golf can leave you perplexed, ya know

Thanks!

SHAFT IDEAS PLEASE!!!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

There’s nobody here who can tell you what weight and/or flex to use. Same with what specific shaft.

flex has now industry standard so saying Stiff flex would be what you need isn’t going to work because for example a stiff flex in px riptide line will play different than the hzrdus black, green and blue lines. Graphalloy blue reg flex is going to be equivalent to stiff or x stiff in other brands.

To find what works comes from trial and error. How to go about that is either going to a store and using your current club and test different shafts in different weights and flexes to see what you like and don’t like, both from a feel perspective and performance.

Blind buy different shafts which can get expensive.

Go get fit by a reputable fitter and get the setup that works for you and learn what works and doesn’t work.

Weight and stiffness profile/ei profile are what’s important.

Typically once you find a profile that works for you the majority of shafts with similar profiles will also work. Example graphite design ad di is a blue profile ir basically a mid/mid. So things like av raw blue or other blue shafts from them, Diamana blue board. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks for reply and I 100% agree with what you are saying in a perfect world ..... which doesn't describe the state of my game or ability to show up for a session in a predictable form.

Guess it is just tough when someone is as Jeckyll and Hyde as I am when it comes to my game and which version will show up.

So - maybe this is the better question ........ is "too light" or "too soft" for your best better than having "too heavy" or "too stiff" for your worst versions of swing or physical wherewithal on a given day ?

Thanks!

WITB

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

5 hours ago, Badams69 said:

Thanks for reply and I 100% agree with what you are saying in a perfect world ..... which doesn't describe the state of my game or ability to show up for a session in a predictable form.

Guess it is just tough when someone is as Jeckyll and Hyde as I am when it comes to my game and which version will show up.

So - maybe this is the better question ........ is "too light" or "too soft" for your best better than having "too heavy" or "too stiff" for your worst versions of swing or physical wherewithal on a given day ?

Thanks!

When you're struggling or not having your best game do you try to swing harder and go after the ball more or do you back off and try go slow things down to get into a rhythm again?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

A fitting is key.  For the low price of $100, I got an hour long shaft fitting at PGATSS that helped me identify the iron shaft that was best for me.  I probably hit 10 different shafts that day, gradually narrowing them down to the right one.  It's way cheaper than trial and error buying shafts.  Strongly recommend it!

Good luck!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

12 hours ago, Badams69 said:

Thanks!

Sometimes the Jekyll and Hyde is a part of golf. Which can make self trial and error hard because you don’t know if it’s the swing or the club and how it’s making you feel something different and causing the issues. This is where a fitting comes in to help. The fitter can take feedback from the golfer combined with what he /she sees along with the numbers and can make adjustments.

too light or soft can be just as bad as too heavy or stiff. Also where a fitting comes in handy because you will be fit into a setup that works for your bad swing or bad days while still making sure on your good days it’s helping you have optimized flight.

When it comes to weight or stiffness profile some are more sensitive than others to changes. Some can play let’s say a shaft in 50,60,70g weight class and not be affected where someone else is only comfortable in a 60g shaft. Even if they have the same handicap and type of swing. Some may prefer a higher balance point while someone else  prefers one that’s lower.

Its the unfortunate side of golf and golf equipment there is no one size fits all or if you have X swing speed play these shafts or plays shafts in Y weight range or Z stiffness profile.

I know guys who swing slower than me posting about they like the hzrdus black where for me and a buddy who swings faster than me it was not a good fit and the ball came out too low

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

13 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

When you're struggling or not having your best game do you try to swing harder and go after the ball more or do you back off and try go slow things down to get into a rhythm again?

Rhythm and my golf game parted ways many moons ago.  I am a dog with a bone, just keep pressing for what it should be.  

Unless I am actually hurt, then I'll back off a tad.      But try as I might ...... it is still 75-85% of what it should be.

WITB

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sometimes the Jekyll and Hyde is a part of golf. Which can make self trial and error hard because you don’t know if it’s the swing or the club and how it’s making you feel something different and causing the issues. This is where a fitting comes in to help. The fitter can take feedback from the golfer combined with what he /she sees along with the numbers and can make adjustments.

too light or soft can be just as bad as too heavy or stiff. Also where a fitting comes in handy because you will be fit into a setup that works for your bad swing or bad days while still making sure on your good days it’s helping you have optimized flight.

When it comes to weight or stiffness profile some are more sensitive than others to changes. Some can play let’s say a shaft in 50,60,70g weight class and not be affected where someone else is only comfortable in a 60g shaft. Even if they have the same handicap and type of swing. Some may prefer a higher balance point while someone else  prefers one that’s lower.

Its the unfortunate side of golf and golf equipment there is no one size fits all or if you have X swing speed play these shafts or plays shafts in Y weight range or Z stiffness profile.

I know guys who swing slower than me posting about they like the hzrdus black where for me and a buddy who swings faster than me it was not a good fit and the ball came out too low

Thanks.

After I posed this question - it kind of hit me that all this moaning and groaning and consternation tells me the answer.  I need to simply avoid trying to fit the swing for when I'm right and/or at least allow for the other guy.

I'm not unique but this is all exacerbated by some severe spine issues that makes Tiger look like a healthy cat.  

That is the culprit that raises its' head too often blocking me from getting into golf mode.  Most often a long ride to a fitting or course brings this on.  

WITB

1 hour ago, sulinelanie said:

Assess your playing ability. Novices may benefit from more forgiving shafts, while experienced players might prefer shafts that offer greater control.

Wnat is a forgiving shaft?

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wnat is a forgiving shaft?

The stupidity of an AI generated response.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree that going and getting a fitting will save you a lot of time and money. Go with an open mind and ignore what the label says on the shaft. One companies x stiff may be another's stiff.  Remember what works for driver may not be the best option for fairway woods. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)