Wedge Shaft Weight

Looking to replace wedges.  I've read plenty of conflicting info regarding shaft weight of wedges compared to irons.  Some say keep the weight the same, with same flex.  Others say heavier no more than 10 grams, but soften the flex.  Or, heavier but keep flex the same.  Confusion!  Any input would be helpful.

Jeff

#PXGTroops

:PXG:

I’ve always thought of it this way…if I’m going to take a full swing, I go with what’s in my irons.  If I’m not taking a full swing, I go a little heavier, sometimes down a flex, sometimes not.  Just depends on on the feel of the shaft.  Currently my 54 has the iron shaft and my 58 has a little heavier shaft but same flex as irons.  We’re all different, try to find what works for you.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Mine are a little heavier.  Can’t judge flex since they aren’t the same shaft…no universal measurement for flex, but based on a label same flex.   IMO, as long as it isn’t a terrible fit you should be ok.  

I have learned weight is probably the biggest consideration.  I use lightweight shafts in my irons and the stock wedge shafts were too heavy so it made for a tough transition.   Replaced with shafts that were in the 95 gram weight class and performance was improved.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm shopping for wedges.  My current iron shafts are stiff 80g graphite MMTs.  My gap(49°) is same shaft but fitter put me in steel stiff 95g for 54° & 58° two years ago.  They seem to be okay but sometimes I use 54 for full swing.  Might pull the trigger on Vokeys or MG4s and want to be sure I'm in the right shaft.

Jeff

#PXGTroops

:PXG:

31 minutes ago, Love2Golf526 said:

I'm shopping for wedges.  My current iron shafts are stiff 80g graphite MMTs.  My gap(49°) is same shaft but fitter put me in steel stiff 95g for 54° & 58° two years ago.  They seem to be okay but sometimes I use 54 for full swing.  Might pull the trigger on Vokeys or MG4s and want to be sure I'm in the right shaft.

Most of the rack wedges are going to be 120 gr.   95 is probably a good weight.  Going to probably have to custom order to get the lighter shafts.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have light graphite (65g) in my irons, and 120g steel in my wedges, and it is a clear problem. I like the wedge shafts, and don't really want to change, but when I use the set-matching PW it's light weight causes me issues with both tempo and path. It's not so much of a problem once I get to the 9 iron. I will probably be getting new irons in the Spring, and I'm already talking to my fitter about the problem.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

19 hours ago, Love2Golf526 said:

Looking to replace wedges.  I've read plenty of conflicting info regarding shaft weight of wedges compared to irons.  Some say keep the weight the same, with same flex.  Others say heavier no more than 10 grams, but soften the flex.  Or, heavier but keep flex the same.  Confusion!  Any input would be helpful.

... Truth is, it is completely player dependent. When I played Recoil i95's I had i110's in my wedges because I played them in a previous set and saved the money not re-shafting my wedges with i95's. When I started playing Steelfiber i95's I used the same weight in my irons and wedges. I am currently playing i80's in my King Tours and kept the i95's in my wedges. I really don't notice any difference with weight being heavier or the same in my wedges as far as performance or feel. I don't think I would want to play i80's in my wedges and 95gms is as light as I would want. That said, if I re-shafted my wedges with i80's I wouldn't be shocked to find they work well too. And just keep in mind when you drop down a flex in your wedges you increase the trajectory but a stiffer wedge lowers trajectory with slightly increased spin and I find that a better combo. If you only use your LW for partial shots around the green then a softer flex can give you added feel. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

23 hours ago, Love2Golf526 said:

First off, Welcome to the MGS Forum. There are a lot of folks here, smart folks, that will be able to offer info you can absorb or discard. That's the beauty of it. You get to decide. Welcome and I hope you find it useful in your golf endeavors. Oh yeah, wedge shaft weights? Beats the heck out of me. I'll let the smart folks answer.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I recently switched my iron shafts to graphite. My fitter also talked me into graphite for my wedges. We added a couple swing weight points to the wedges and the transition from irons to wedges was a breeze. The wedge heads are not lost during the swing with the added weight to the heads. Works for me and I'm loving the graphite shafts over my Modus 105's.

• 2 weeks later...

My last two wedge sets I've gone to a more or less matching shaft to my irons (125g 6.5 PXLS) in the gap(x100), S400 in the sand, and the stock TT Spinner in the lob.  Gives a bit more gentle transition from the irons, and it matches up with how I use them (99% full swings with the gap, mostly 3/4 swings and some chips with the sand, and mostly chips and pitches with the lob).  I like this setup, but like a few others have said, it works because that's how I use them.  If you have different preferences, you may not get the same benefit, so it's always best to work with a decent fitter.

On 10/4/2023 at 9:10 AM, Love2Golf526 said:

I have the Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff in my Vokey SM9 52F for full shots and it’s great.  Lighter, but still the feel of steel.  It was an experiment and I really like it since I play a KBS Tour Lite.  Looking at potentially buying a 48F Vokey wedge with this shaft too.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

• 2 weeks later...

I take full swings with all my wedges, along with 1/4/, 1/2, 3/4, so I use the same shafts for wedges as irons.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I currently have 120 g shafts and they feel to heavy for me. Ill probably be lowering mine also. 

Illan A.

• 1 month later...

Currently in the market for a new gap wedge. Right now I'm a mid-handicapper (17) but improving consistently. Swing speed is on the slower end of the spectrum across the board. I play Ping i500 irons with Elevate 95 R Flex TSS shafts. I have a 56 degree vokey sm8 s grind 10 bounce that I got used last season that unfortunately does not have any labels on the shaft. I have absolutely loved the vokey 56 degree since getting it, especially out of the sand and open face shots, but am also very comfortable with it from anywhere about 60 yards and in off fairway or out of the rough.

I'm looking for a gap wedge that will primarily be used for full swing shots in between my Ping i500 PW (90-110 yards) and vokey sm8 56 degree (45-65 yards). Trying to decide between staying consistent with irons and getting the Ping i500 UW (50 degree loft) with Project X IO 5.5 flex shaft or getting the vokey sm9/sm10 50 degree f grind or cleveland rtx zipcore 6 50 degree with custom shaft choice.

Any guidance on shaft options based on my game would be great!

1 hour ago, bglo39 said:

Currently in the market for a new gap wedge. Right now I'm a mid-handicapper (17) but improving consistently. Swing speed is on the slower end of the spectrum across the board. I play Ping i500 irons with Elevate 95 R Flex TSS shafts. I have a 56 degree vokey sm8 s grind 10 bounce that I got used last season that unfortunately does not have any labels on the shaft. I have absolutely loved the vokey 56 degree since getting it, especially out of the sand and open face shots, but am also very comfortable with it from anywhere about 60 yards and in off fairway or out of the rough.

I'm looking for a gap wedge that will primarily be used for full swing shots in between my Ping i500 PW (90-110 yards) and vokey sm8 56 degree (45-65 yards). Trying to decide between staying consistent with irons and getting the Ping i500 UW (50 degree loft) with Project X IO 5.5 flex shaft or getting the vokey sm9/sm10 50 degree f grind or cleveland rtx zipcore 6 50 degree with custom shaft choice.

Any guidance on shaft options based on my game would be great!

since you plan on using it for full wing shots the general suggestion would be to get the i500 UW with the same shaft as your irons.