Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft vs 3 Wood Shaft

Tom54

I recently got fitted for a new driver with a custom shaft. I'm thinking of upgrading my 3 wood as well. My question is, do you tend to put the same shaft in your 3 wood as your driver? What if the 3 wood is a different make altogether?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I recently got fitted for a new driver with a custom shaft. I'm thinking of upgrading my 3 wood as well. My question is, do you tend to put the same shaft in your 3 wood as your driver? What if the 3 wood is a different make altogether?

My preferred weight for driver shaft would be something in the 50 - 60 gram weight, while 3 wood in 70 - 80 gram feels best to me. So I do not have the same shaft for driver and 3 wood.

I used to be quite a fuss pot over this issue, and insisted that at least brand wise, my driver, 3 wood, hybrids must be the same, although of different weight range. Now a days I find that it doesn't matter. I still suck no matter what shaft I use. :D

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

My thinking on this has vacillated on this issue over time. My current thought is that they're two different clubs with two different jobs, so why would you necessarily want the same shaft? That's not to say that it couldn't work, but it certainly doesn't have to.

As a rule of thumb, most people do play a heavier shaft in their FW than their driver.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I've had it set up both ways in the past. There is nothing that says you can't have two different shafts, but if you were fit for the driver and like the ball flight, launch, and flex profile of the shaft I think it's at the very least a good starting point for a FW if you aren't getting fit for that too.

I got fit for my driver shaft and really liked the flex profile and launch in the driver, so decided to play it in my 4w as well. I just went with a little heavier version and I've been very happy with it. Oban Kiyoshi 65 04 in the driver and 75 04 in the 4w. I actually put a 100 04 version in my hybrid as well.

Recently i picked up a 3w and tried a different shaft (Grafalloy BiMatrix) and I really liked the way it played. In a S flex the shaft only comes in a 60g version so I ended up using that. I liked it so much I put it in my backup driver and it works fantastic. So on that setup I actually do have the same shaft and weight in both driver and 3w.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I was thinking was something along the lines if you have a 60g shaft in the driver, maybe a 70g version of the same shaft in the 3 wood. Bottom line, need to get fitted still to confirm.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I was thinking was something along the lines if you have a 60g shaft in the driver, maybe a 70g version of the same shaft in the 3 wood. Bottom line, need to get fitted still to confirm.

Exactly - good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 4 weeks later...

I use Fairway Wood shaft, which is I guess meant for the 3 wood and down, rather than driver.

It works for me, as it is heavier shaft, but went with R flex, rather than S flex.

Like the over all weight, ball flight, feel, gets good distance, as I focus more on making solid contact, rather than killing it.

So, it all comes down to fitting. Use the shaft that works with your swing, rather than worrying about using same brand of shafts.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Archived