Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Drivers introduced since 2010...

MmmmmmBuddy

I decided to try and count how many drivers each company had introduced since 2010..

Here is my partial list.

TaylorMade

SLDR Mini
SLDR Mini TP
SLDR White
SLDR White TP
SLDR-S
SLDR-S TP
SLDR 430
SLDR 430 TP
SLDR
SLDR TP
JetSpeed
JetSpeed TP
RocketBallZ Stage 2
RocketBallZ Stage 2 TP
RocketBallZ Stage 2 Tour
RocketBallZ Stage 2 Tour TP
RocketBallZ Stage 2 Bonded
RocketBallZ
RocketBallZ TP
RocketBallZ Tour
RocketBallZ Tour TP
RocketBallZ Bonded
R1
R1 TP
R1 Black
R1 Black TP
R11
R11 TP
R11 s
R11 S TP
R9 460
R9 460 TP
R9 SuperTri
R9 SuperTri TP
R9 SuperDeep TP

35 Drivers

Titleist

910 D2
910 D3
913 D2
913 D3

4 Drivers (2 more on the way)

Ping

K15
G20
G25
I25
Anser
G30
G30 SFT

7 Drivers

Nike

Covert 2.0
Covert 2.0 Black
Covert 2.0 Tour
Covert
Covert Tour
VRS
VR Pro Limited Edition Forged
VR Pro
Victory Red Tour
Victory Red Tour Straight Fit

10 Drivers

Cobra

Bio Cell
Bio Cell +
Bio Cell Pro
Amp Cell
Amp Cell Pro
Baffler XL
Baffler
AMP
AMP Offset
S3
S3 White
S3 Max
ZL Encore
ZL

14 Drivers (Could be ALOT more if you included colors)

I am working on the Callaway list right now...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Aren't some of those Taylormade offerings (specifically, the TP versions) just the same head sold with upgraded shafts?   I don't believe there is any physical difference in a Jetspeed head and a Jetspeed TP head, just the shaft that was mated to it in the factory.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Aren't some of those Taylormade offerings (specifically, the TP versions) just the same head sold with upgraded shafts?   I don't believe there is any physical difference in a Jetspeed head and a Jetspeed TP head, just the shaft that was mated to it in the factory.

That is true, as far as I know. However, they were marketed as a completely separate golf club, to a different market segment. (In the good old days, A TP driver was a different club.)

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

The Mini is technically not a driver. It's a large head fairway, driver replacement

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That is true, as far as I know. However, they were marketed as a completely separate golf club, to a different market segment. (In the good old days, A TP driver was a different club.)

Yeah, but the same argument could be made for any driver shaft combo that is special-ordered from the factory with a custom shaft.   That doesn't make it a separate product.  The TP is just a sticker on the plastic shrink wrap.   When unmated from its special shaft, it's just a normal head. 

With that logic, you could argue that Cobra's multi-colored heads are actually "distinct" products -- after all, paint is more permanent than a sticker.   And Cobra's colored heads are as permanent and distinct as the SLDR white or the R1 black, which you do count.

However, I'm on the other side of the fence when considering the Mini.   I think if you call a club a mini-driver, you're saying it's a driver.

Taylormade is still gonna have the most products, even if you delete the non-distinct TP's or the variant-colored Sldr's and R1's from your count or add in the color-variant Cobra's.  

Whatever rule you choose, it should be consistently applied across manufacturers.

I considered counting all of the colors as distinct products, but decided against it, because they launched at the same time, as options.  The TMAG SLDR White launched later than the SLDR, as a separate product. Just like R1 and R1 black.  (I suppose that I didn't count the limited edition BiO cell releases). 

As to Mini Driver.  If it Called a driver, and The company has it listed on the Driver tab on their web page, and Golf Datatec is counting it as a driver, it is a driver  (Even if it is a 3 wd)

Just my opinion, and some have already expressed similar comments.  Basically if you want a true comparison then you need to apply the same set of rules for each OEM.  Good start to the list though!

• If you include black/white versions of TMaG, and red/black versions of Nike, you need to include each color for Cobra
  • I'd vote the mini is not a driver, but if you include it as a driver then all those types of clubs should be included, so add the 2deep for Cally
  • You need to either pick distinct driver heads, or distinct retail sku offerings.  This would either include the TP/non-TP or not depending on your rules.
  • If you include TP/Non-TP then you should also include G30/G30 Tour as they are distinct skus

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

As to Mini Driver.  If it Called a driver, and The company has it listed on the Driver tab on their web page, and Golf Datatec is counting it as a driver, it is a driver  (Even if it is a 3 wd)

Good response on that one, I take back my suggestion :)

I do think regardless of release date, if it's a unique sku on a retail shelf it should be counted.  The fact that TMaG didn't release the colors at the same time while Cobra did shouldn't make one count and one not count.

Man, that is a lot of drivers for Taylormade.  I would argue that the mini actually is a mini driver.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

If that's the case when counting up Callaway's, you have to count the XHot 3deep and the X2Hot 2deep as they were marketed as driver replacements and called Phrankenwood.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If that's the case when counting up Callaway's, you have to count the XHot 3deep and the X2Hot 2deep as they were marketed as driver replacements and called Phrankenwood.

I have not counted the Callaway woods yet, but as far as I can tell, the Xhot 3Deep and X2 Hot 2Deep are Fairway woods.  Listed on the Callaway page as fairways. "Phrankenwood" never made it to retail.. 

The whole point of posting a list like this was not to nitpick one or two line items.  I was hoping for a little discussion regarding the general health of companies and the game and how it relates to the rapid product launches we have seen in recent years.

If a typical consumer comes into the shop and wants to try the "New TaylorMade like my buddys.." driver,  what does he want??  If he is after the "New Titleist" I have a pretty good idea.

I think that the rapid product launches may have hurt the brands in the long run...

I might be wrong, but the companies that have held the line with life cycles, seem to have a very good reputation with consumers.

Your thoughts??

In that case I'll agree to disagree with the lists :)

I think we can all agree that the rapid release cycle of clubs has been bad for the retailers and OEM's in the long run.  I would argue though that it has been great in the short term for consumers (assuming you didn't buy on release day)

I can't remember a time in my golfing career when I was able to get such great and relatively new equipment for such great prices.  I just bought two hybrids for a combined $57 shipped that would have cost me $600 a year ago.  Both are brand new with a little shop wear.  With a two year release schedule those clubs would not be in my bag and would not have been discounted.

I fully realize the status quo is not sustainable at the current pace.  The release cycles have to change for the health of the industry as a whole, but it sure it a fun time to be a club ho right now :)

In that case I'll agree to disagree with the lists :)

I think we can all agree that the rapid release cycle of clubs has been bad for the retailers and OEM's in the long run.  I would argue though that it has been great in the short term for consumers (assuming you didn't buy on release day)

I can't remember a time in my golfing career when I was able to get such great and relatively new equipment for such great prices.  I just bought two hybrids for a combined $57 shipped that would have cost me $600 a year ago.  Both are brand new with a little shop wear.  With a two year release schedule those clubs would not be in my bag and would not have been discounted.

I fully realize the status quo is not sustainable at the current pace.  The release cycles have to change for the health of the industry as a whole, but it sure it a fun time to be a club ho right now :)

I agree -- there has never been a better time to be a club ho.  

I buy and try EVERY driver using the same little pool of about $500 in paypal that never goes up or down much.   I buy something, try it, keep it if I like it and sell it if I don't.   If I do, I sell off the one it booted out of the bag.   I just got a G30 driver for $280.   It'll either be a stunner or it'll get sold off for the same or more in a couple of weeks.  Tide goes in and out, but the pool stays the same.

Sometimes I go back and double dip.  I tried a Jetspeed 3 wood late last year.  Bought it for $114 in the FIRST WEEK OF RELEASE.   Thought it was pretty good, but resold it for about the same money.   Bought it again for $37 last week -- 9 months after release.

It's fairly obvious one wants to nitpick with TaylorMade's release schedule. No biggie, let me know when another company sells more drivers than them.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

C'mon Nick. Get moving on the Callaway stuff. We have plans for this post...

Personally, I wouldn't count TaylorMade's TP models...yeah, they do market them separately to a degree, but since it's functionally just a shaft upgrade, and we're not counting everybody else's 'with an upgraded shaft' sales, I'd be inclined to exclude those along with the lesser discussed SUPER TP models.

SLDR S vs. SLDR S TP you could make the case for. The hosel bore is .350 on the standard, .330 on the TP. That makes them different.

White...I'm on the fence, BUT, I'd include it, along with R1 black because the actual release was separate (unlike Cobra's multi-color) from the original. Of course, Cobra has done limited edition stuff (Master's green for example) outside the normal release, so maybe those should count too. And then, by that logic, yeah...we have to count Covert 2.0 black (as you did).

Also agree with placement of X2 Hot Fairways compared with Mini Driver. It's really easy to defer to Golf Datatec on this one. Callaway classifies XHot (X2Hot) Deep as FWs, just as TaylorMade chose to classify Mini as a driver. We're not deciding how to classify them, the manufacturers already did.

You missed the Cobra Ferrari driver and Long Tom (although actual release dates may put one or both just outside of the window).

I think PING i20 also belongs on the list.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

C'mon Nick. Get moving on the Callaway stuff. We have plans for this post...

Personally, I wouldn't count TaylorMade's TP models...yeah, they do market them separately to a degree, but since it's functionally just a shaft upgrade, and we're not counting everybody else's 'with an upgraded shaft' sales, I'd be inclined to exclude those along with the lesser discussed SUPER TP models.

SLDR S vs. SLDR S TP you could make the case for. The hosel bore is .350 on the standard, .330 on the TP. That makes them different.

White...I'm on the fence, BUT, I'd include it, along with R1 black because the actual release was separate (unlike Cobra's multi-color) from the original. Of course, Cobra has done limited edition stuff (Master's green for example) outside the normal release, so maybe those should count too. And then, by that logic, yeah...we have to count Covert 2.0 black (as you did).

Also agree with placement of X2 Hot Fairways compared with Mini Driver. It's really easy to defer to Golf Datatec on this one. Callaway classifies XHot (X2Hot) Deep as FWs, just as TaylorMade chose to classify Mini as a driver. We're not deciding how to classify them, the manufacturers already did.

You missed the Cobra Ferrari driver and Long Tom (although actual release dates may put one or both just outside of the window).

I think PING i20 also belongs on the list.

I might have inadvertently left the i20 off. And Forgot to add the Limited release Cobra drivers. Masters and US Open editions.

I still feel like the TP versions are separate from the standard version drivers.  Even though we all know that the only real difference is the shaft upgrade.  

Here is the Callaway list.  Feel free to add to it, or subtract.

Callaway

V-Series

Big Bertha Alpha

Big Bertha Alpha U-Design

Big Bertha

Big Bertha U-Design

X2 Hot

X2 Hot Pro

Optiforce 460

Optiforce 440

Razr Fit Xtreme

Razr Fit Xtreme U-Design

X Hot

X Hot Pro

Razr Fit

Razr Fit U-Design

Razr X Black

Diablo Octane

Diablo Octane Tour

Razr Hawk

Razr Hawk Tour

Razr Hawk I-Mix

FT IZ

FT IZ Tour

FT IZ Tour I Mix

FT Tour

Diablo Octane I-Mix

FT IZ I-Mix

I am sure that I left a few off of the list.  (Legacy for instance) Legacy was never released to the US market.  Also The X24 driver that you will occasionally see was not available for every account to buy, so not included..   27 is still a lit of driver models in 4+years...   Does anybody remember the "5 Year War"???

• SPY VIP

Dammit Nick...you forgot the Machspeed STR8-Fit too. That one was epic...

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Dammit Nick...you forgot the Machspeed STR8-Fit too. That one was epic...

Sometimes I am just useless..  Seems like I forgot quite a few of the Nike Products.... (I bet Nike might like to as well....)

Nike

Covert 2.0

Covert 2.0 Black

Covert 2.0 Tour

Covert

Covert Tour

VRS

VR Pro Limited Edition Forged

VR Pro

Victory Red Tour

Victory Red Tour Straight Fit

Plus

SQ MachSpeed Black Square 

SQ MachSpeed Black Round 

SQ MachSpeed STR8-FIT 

Ooooops..

I agree with you on the Foreign market releases.  If you include them, your exercise spins out of control.  But I don't know why you would not include the X24 or the Costco Callaway Xtreme set drivers just because they were limited distribution releases.   The X24 is still on their website.  There are 650 Costcos.   How limited is limited?

What about the Cobra Ferrari driver?   I see that being sold in the aftermarket.  

• SPY VIP

Ferrari is interesting, but if I were making a list (and I am) I'd excluded it based on the limited release.

Feel free to add anything to the list. I am not the "List Keeper"  I was just trying to get a dialog started regarding the rapid product cycles and the health or perceived health of golf equipment companies. I don't claim to have any answers or any motives for posting this. I was just having this same conversation with my boss last week and found it fascinating, especially in the wake of current events at TaylorMade. 

Ferrari is interesting, but if I were making a list (and I am) I'd excluded it based on the limited release.

Checking it twice??

Finding out who is ________ and ________????

No matter how we look at it THERE ARE TOO MANY.  

I find myself pondering, "What if all manufacturers stopped making drivers today, what would happen?"   Well, I'd buy a second back-up head of the one I've got and I'd be good for about ten years.    I'd save myself a ton of bother testing new releases that showed little difference and no marked improvement over what I'm bagging currently.   I'm just about to test the G30 in the vaguest of hopes it'll stand out.   Odds are it'll just be another bland member of the madding crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a comparison, I counted Mizuno IRON releases since 2010...

Would you believe 19??

JPX 800

JPX 800HD

JPX 800 Pro

JPX 825

JPX 825 Pro

JPX EZ

JPX EX Forged

JPX 850

JPX 850 Forged

MP4

MP15

MP53

MP54

MP59

MP63

MP64

MP69

MPH4

MPH5

Would you believe 19??

JPX 800

JPX 800HD

JPX 800 Pro

JPX 825

JPX 825 Pro

JPX EZ

JPX EX Forged

JPX 850

JPX 850 Forged

MP4

MP15

MP53

MP54

MP59

MP63

MP64

MP69

MPH4

MPH5

Wow i wouldn't have guessed that many

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Would you believe 19??

JPX 800

JPX 800HD

JPX 800 Pro

JPX 825

JPX 825 Pro

JPX EZ

JPX EX Forged

JPX 850

JPX 850 Forged

MP4

MP15

MP53

MP54

MP59

MP63

MP64

MP69

MPH4

MPH5

11/19 are attempts at penetrating the mid-handicap market, very interesting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived