Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

High School Season Thread

whiskey golf

Week of 2/24-2/28

On 2/24 we are starting the season with a big high school tournament with multiple schools at Western Hills Country Club. We take 6 out 8 guys and that was determined with a two day nine hole tryout and I played well enough for a spot so that's a good way to start things off.

Then we have three matches from 2/25-2/28. I'm not sure if I'll play all of them due to schoolwork but we'll see. 

Best of luck!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

May your Tee Shot find the Fairway, your approach shot find the Green & your Putt find the hole.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I had almost forgotten that you were in high school. Things have really changed since I played golf in high school. We did not start our season until April and I can remember my dad giving one guy a set of used clubs so we could have enough people to fill out a team and we were not a small school either we had won the state 4A football championship that year. I have kept up with high school golf somewhat because my best friend's oldest daughter played and is now in her senior year in college playing on a golf team. Wow they sure play a lot of tournaments in high school and college now.

As far as a team ball I don't know about that. Does the school give them to you? Does someone like the boosters club donate them to the school? I guess if it is free it can be ok. I wonder though if one ball fits everyone's game though.

Good luck this year keep us posted

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The golf balls are covered in out fees which aren't cheap because we are a private school. And this year is strange because we all usually agree on a ball but nobody informed us this year. We are free to play whatever we want but we get sleeve before each round. Last year I didn't use Titleist so I had a ton and still have a lot of golf balls from then, they're getting good use now though.

That's a good deal on the balls. I went to private school for a couple of years long story there. When I went to public high school things changed as far as the golf team. The guy that my dad gave clubs to was an all around athlete he could play anything stick and or ball related. My dad at his expense donated Titleist balls to the team and some of the guys were elated because they had never played a preminum ball before could not afford it. Need less to say this was the balata days and some of the guys could really tear up some balls. He was really big on the ball thing for the team. On a 5 man team he would donate at least 3 doz a week and would tell me you have plenty of balls and access to balls so if any of your teammates are running short give them some of yours if you guys start to run out go to the pro shop at the course you are playing at and get some more and tell the pro I will pay for them heck everyone in the area knew him anyhow so no problem. He was generous on that. He felt that was a small part of his "giving back to the game"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My high first high school season starts next fall.

Anyone who has more than 5 clubs is basically on the team.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

That's cool, you'll get to start your journey while mine ends. And your program will grow, it'll take time but it'll happen.

Hopefully, good luck in your season

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

I played baseball through my junior year of college. I had mono at that point, lost half the season and figured that my career as a back up catcher was caput. Bought a jr membership at the local course that summer and never turned back. Waxed my baseball coach the next year in the quarter finals of the city championship 5 and 4 or something like that.

He said I should have stuck with baseball. :)

Keep us in the loop. One of my boys played at a private high school in Wisconsin. It was expensive but whistling straits was one of his home courses.

Best wishes on the season.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So for the first tournament of the year I shot an 85 (+13) which I am not very pleased with. My driver was killing me today and it's been a problem lately. Everything else was good, had some not great shots every so often but my putting and short game saved me plenty of strokes. My long game was also good too considering how many GIR I got from 200 yards. The course was soaked so every drive was basically all carry and no roll, which is bad for me considering I carry the ball about 210-220. Like I said, my driving sucked. I barely hit any fairways and I was going right most of the time but did have some bad draws. Other than that, I was pleased with the overall performance of today. 

It's also worth mentioning that the majority of the field struggled today, not a lot of rounds in the 70's, a lot of 80's and 81's. 

We won our first match today against an easy school but either way it is a win. I shot a 42 (+6) on our home course thanks to my driver which has been causing me all sorts of problems. This club has been killing me so on #7, a long par 5, I teed off with a fairway wood and hit it dead straight. I borrowed an Anser 3 wood which worked great on #9, par 4. On #7, my birdie lipped out from about 15-20 ft. The par 3 #8 I birdied and the par 4 #9 I almost birdied with a wedge shot but it stopped a couple inches from the hole. So I almost had the last 3 holes at 3 under but I'll take 1 under. 

My strategy for the next match is to not use driver at all since the 3 wood is straight as an arrow and almost as long as my driver. This was the first time using this club so I'm pleased with it. I'm also making some slight changes to the bag which you can see in my WITB thread. 

LMAO, We have a winner!!

THIS is the best!!

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

Sounds like my team.  But having a student with 5 clubs would elevate him to a varsity starter. I take anyone who shows up, is breathing and can walk.  Whiskey, best of luck to you this season.  My golf team starts its season in august as we play through the fall up here in the northeast.  Intramurals for us will start in may once the courses are fully opened.  I enjoy this thread, please keep us up to date on your playing.  HS golf is an amazing sport and great time in your life.  Enjoy every round

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

My golf season starts next week - I coach a Middle School team - we take anyone who shows up and if they don't have clubs we have some that they might use, it's a trip but I love it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My golf season starts next week - I coach a Middle School team - we take anyone who shows up and if they don't have clubs we have some that they might use, it's a trip but I love it.

That's interesting, I haven't heard of a middle school team before.

Here I thought Whiskey was at least 40 years old.

Even though he has told me on here I keep having to remind myself. He has his head more tighter on his shoulders than I did at that age for sure

G

Our team got our second victory today so we are 2-0 as of now. I didn't play this one due to school work but I will play tomorrow's match and I'm hoping that my no-driver game plan will work.

Remember this Plan your work and work YOUR plan

G

My high first high school season starts next fall.

Anyone who has more than 5 clubs is basically on the team.

Well why don't you keep us posted on your progress like Whiskey does? after all inquiring minds want to know

G

Our team won again, 3-0 now, a great way to start our season. I had a good round with a 38 (+2) and the changes to my bag helped a lot. The 3 wood is going as far as my driver and is much straighter. Also, losing the 41,45, and 49 SCOR wedges helped my confidence and I was able to hit some good shots with the Mizunos. I had two three putts which sucked but other than that, today was solid for both me and my teammates. 

Sounds like a great start to the season.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Wow Whiskey - you're a cat's whisker away from being a scratch golfer. Cripes, I think I may have shot a 49 once in high school...  I was middle of the pack and was pleased if I shot a 52.  It was central Oregon and everyone was into rodeo - not golf. Golf course and driving range was like something out of Tin Cup.  :lol:

The sad thing is, there are days when I still end up shooting 49.  LMAO

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

What type of courses does your team play at?  I know in my school, the team plays at mostly run down small courses.

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

LMAO, We have a winner!!

THIS is the best!!

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

Thanks, you too.  I have my spring tournaments coming up soon, so time to get ready.

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

Great round Whiskey. Remember I'm a pastor at a church with a parochial school. We have a golf team. Our season is only about a month. It's just long enough to give our kids a taste. I try to hook them up with the local pro for lessons and his jr program over the summer. I've had a couple kids who are playing in college.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived