GolfSpy Stroker

club cleaning tips tricks hints

So I hope I'm not the only one that is obsessed with keeping their clubs clean.

What are some of your favorite tricks?

A few of mine:

• use car wash soap and scrub heads clean
  • dry carefully
  • rub with liquid car polish and let dry to a haze
  • wipe to a sparkling shine
  • use 220 grit sandpaper on the grips every month or so to keep them fresh

I'm not a golf expert, but is that within the Rules to put a foreign substance on the clubface? As a polish, residue will remain. I'm a casual solo weekend player and I regularly spit on my driver for a little extra help. Should I not be doing that? Is that wrong?

• Like 2

My course has a club cleaning machine on the driving range.  Think of a shoe shine type of rotating brush over a big bucket of water.  One side for irons with a stiffer brush and one side for woods with a softer brush.  I'll clean whatever clubs I use to warm up on the range there but that's about it.  

I still clean each club after every shot with a frogger brush and towel as needed,  but I don't go beyond that.  As long as the grooves are good and clean I'm all set.

All you really need on the club's is soap and water.  Get the grooves clean and you are good to go.  

Grip wise I play PURE grips and I've never done anything to them and they are still firm and tacky after 2 seasons.  I did have an Iomic Absolute putter grip showing a little wear at my last fitting.  My club fitter just put a little WD40 on a rag and wiped all the dirt off, then rinsed with water and damned if it wasn't as good as new.

So yes I make sure all the faces of my clubs are clean before any shot, but I'm a little to zero in-between round maintenance type of guy.

• Like 3

I'm a Meyer. Clean after every shot with the frogger brush and towel.

• Like 3

I wipe off the club after every shot too - that's about all I do while playing.

Once back home, all clubs get a wipe down, grooves brushed out with an auto detailing brush (big toothbrush), and the putter gets a swipe with the oil rag. I usually wipe my bag down and clean my shoes while I'm at it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm a soap and water guy. Monthly I fill a bucket with car wash soap and warm water and give the sticks a good washing using a nylon bristle brush for the heads and a rag for the shafts and grips. I also wipe down my bag with the rag as a good bit of dust and dirt build up during the season.

• Like 2

I used to clean my clubs several times a year however I've become lazy with that task. When I do give em a bath with water and dish washing detergent then scrub with a soft brush. I would used turtle car wax on my woods to protect the finish .  Maybe this thread will help me get off my arse and at least give my grips a good scrub down.  Grips are more important imo. Actually I need new grips on my irons so there ya go.......

• Like 2

About once a month or so, I really like using Wesley's Bleach White on my grips. It's a white-wall cleaner from the auto parts store. Spray it on, scrub with a plastic brush, and be amazed at how much grime starts oozing out of them. Rinse and wipe, and grips are clean and tacky as new.

• Like 3

I'm not a big club cleaner. I wipe with a towel and use a brush to clean the grooves after a shot. Other than that, I might clean them with dish detergent and warm water a couple times a year.

I am a grip fanatic, though! I do keep them clean. I wash them every couple of weeks and then rub them down with alcohol to keep them tacky. I've switched to Pure Grips this year so, maybe won't have to clean as much.

• Like 2

between rounds.....just water and a soft bristle brush (it's actually one of those vegetable brushes from kitchen,shhhh don't tell the wife)

• Like 4

On the course I found that a wet towel works really well. Like JudgeSmails, at home I use hot water & Dawn with dish brush. It cleans & keeps grips like new. 2017-03-12%2008.58.36.jpg

• Like 4

I only use the greatest solvent known to man. Water! Water and a clean towel is all it takes. Sometimes I little wire brush. I mostly keep my clubs - grooves clean as I go around the course. Again... water and a towel.

It ain't rocket science!

• Like 3

They're around $3~5 @ Walmart, dollar general & other stores.

Oh, don't bother putting the soap in it.. Found it just waste the soap. Just put Dawn in the water bucket

• Like 3

They're around $3~5 @ Walmart, dollar general & other stores.

Oh, don't bother putting the soap in it.. Found it just waste the soap. Just put Dawn in the water bucket

Yea I'm a Dawn kind of guy myself :D 

• Like 1

I find it breaks up the oils & dirt from the hands on the grips & keeps em like new

Edit to add: its gentle & doesn't breakdown the material

• Like 1

I clean my clubs with early morning rounds when there's still dew on the ground. After the shot I'll carry the club with me while walking to my next shot while scrubbing with a towel. Once in a while I'll take a wire brush/groove tool to the face. Found some very interesting tips for cleaning my grips I will have to try!

• Like 1

For those advocating 220 grit sandpaper on your grips... as fine as it is, it's still abrasive and will remove material. I use a "fine" Scotch Bright pad when things are really gummed up. It is also abrasive, but much gentler than sandpaper.

• Like 2

I need to admit or tell you guys.... I live in West Texas and it's a very dry climate. My hands stay dry when I play. Therefore I don't have too many issues like some of you in more humid parts of the country. Therefore again.... my grips tend to not get funky or gummed up.

• Like 2

In Ohio, when it gets to 80% and higher humidity in the Summer, my grips tend to get this sticky, gummy dirt film on them if I go too long before cleaning. That is when I get the scotch bright out. The steering wheel in my truck gets the same way..... it's rather disgusting...lol. I'm sure the guys down south get the same thing.

• Like 2