Dr Strangelove

Club weighting -- shaft weights or lead tape?

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB.  The former is cast and the latter is forged.  The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter.  I played with the former for the last 6 years.  What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me?  Does the head make that much difference?

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB. The former is cast and the latter is forged. The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter. I played with the former for the last 6 years. What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me? Does the head make that much difference?

The AP1's will be much more forgiving. Personally at a 10 handicap(which I know may not tell the whole story) I would go for the AP1's. The 775CB may not be forgiving enough. The clubhead is just as important as the shaft IMHO. I am a 9 handicap and play the 710 AP1's

and love em.

... The shaft does not matter as much unless, you have a late release. Finding the right head is key I think. You want a combination of trajectory, spin and forgiveness as well as a head that looks good to your eye. Only you can answer those questions. I have had this mantra for years now "play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play". Effectively play means different things to different golfers but when demoing irons, keep trying more and more forgiving irons until you find the best combination for your game. For instance Tiger controls his trajectory and side to side movement on every shot so effectively he needs MB's. Most just want to hit it high and straight, so anything from players CB's to SGI's should be looked at depending on what kind of swing speed and consistency you have with your swing.

... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them. While those that struggle to get enough height on their shots will benefit tremendously from the heavy wide soles of SGI irons. The list goes on and on as every swing is different so be honest and look at the kind of irons that give you the best chance of hitting the ball as consistently as your skill allows.  

• Like 1

"... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them."

Agree. I am using blade irons with thin sole. Ball launches much higher than average. For a 35* 7-iron, the ball launches at 28*.