Dr Strangelove

Club weighting -- shaft weights or lead tape?

Our Sponsors

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB.  The former is cast and the latter is forged.  The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter.  I played with the former for the last 6 years.  What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me?  Does the head make that much difference?

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB. The former is cast and the latter is forged. The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter. I played with the former for the last 6 years. What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me? Does the head make that much difference?

The AP1's will be much more forgiving. Personally at a 10 handicap(which I know may not tell the whole story) I would go for the AP1's. The 775CB may not be forgiving enough. The clubhead is just as important as the shaft IMHO. I am a 9 handicap and play the 710 AP1's

and love em.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... The shaft does not matter as much unless, you have a late release. Finding the right head is key I think. You want a combination of trajectory, spin and forgiveness as well as a head that looks good to your eye. Only you can answer those questions. I have had this mantra for years now "play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play". Effectively play means different things to different golfers but when demoing irons, keep trying more and more forgiving irons until you find the best combination for your game. For instance Tiger controls his trajectory and side to side movement on every shot so effectively he needs MB's. Most just want to hit it high and straight, so anything from players CB's to SGI's should be looked at depending on what kind of swing speed and consistency you have with your swing.

... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them. While those that struggle to get enough height on their shots will benefit tremendously from the heavy wide soles of SGI irons. The list goes on and on as every swing is different so be honest and look at the kind of irons that give you the best chance of hitting the ball as consistently as your skill allows.  

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

"... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them."

Agree. I am using blade irons with thin sole. Ball launches much higher than average. For a 35* 7-iron, the ball launches at 28*.

<div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(75,79,86);font-family:inherit;">Titleist 917D2 9.5* Diamana BF 50 (S)Titleist 917F2 18*

Diamana BF 60 (S)Titleist 816H1 23* Diamana S+ 70 (S) Titleist 716MB (5-P) NSPRO 950GH (S)Titleist SM5 50* F Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 54* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 58* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 5</span></div><div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"> </div>

On 6/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, PlaidJacket said:

Then I wondering why my fitter who is nationally recognized in the club fitting business (+30 years) is adding weight to the hosel I my irons. As far as I'm concerned I loved the way the feel of my irons came into focus is you will.

Adding the weight seemed to make a difference to me. My irons feel and play great.

I cannot comment on what works and doesn't work technically, as I have no data for that, but I can say that adding weight to my long irons and driver has lengthened my swing and hence added distance to my long shots. Me and my playing partners jokingly called it smash factor, but I added 10 yards to the drive simply by adding lead tape to dead center at the back of my driver head. We have found that the heavier stiffer shafts handle this adjustment best, S400 shafts work for us.  Everyone has something that works for them as there is no one answer to this.