Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Slow Play

STUDque

Sloth-Laugh.gif

What do you do with slow players in front? What do you do when you're the slow group?

I'm not asking about what you "should" do I'm asking about what actually happens in the real world. Funny stories would be nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

If people who hit the ball 180 are trying to reach par 5s in two, I'll push them a bit. I actually haven't yet asked to play through... Oh wait, actually I did once. I think it went okay.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I don't ask. I just go. No one around here knows Jack about etiquette. Most of them are complete hacks, they are slow because they are searching in the woods for 5 minutes on each shot.

It's one of the things that drives me nuts. If you are playing slow because you are about to break the course record... I'll give you a pass. But if you're knee deep in mud, sand, pine straw, cat tails...

I hate to say it, but some people should just find another sport, hobby... call me a jerk. But if i was shooting in the 160's for 18 I'd probably take up disc golf, or walking...

I think everyone should be afforded the same chance at the game, but enough is enough. I'm not near "good" but I can get around the course in less than 2 hours if there isn't a group of kids out sipping on Grand dads cough medicine. Find another place to have a party.

Fire away. I'm ready.

On the tee box I'll get my group to play poison where you try to chip at the tee markers if we're waiting. On short par 4 holes I won't wait to go for it, I'll just play to the fairway. On par 5 holes I won't go for the green in two, I'll lay up to keep things moving.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

If it's a packed course we just sit back and enjoy the day.

If there is room in front of them it depends on what hole we are on.  Last Wed it was men's league, but the threat of marginal weather kept the course pretty sparsely populated...except for the foursome ahead of us.  It's league so we knew who they were and their reputation for slow play.  They weren't letting us play through so as they tee'd off on the 10th hole we just skipped it and drove to 11 and jumped in front of them.  We were able to finish 18, go back and play 10, go inside and get drinks and then come back out and they were still only on 17 green.

So plenty of times we just wrong way play through the group ahead of us if there are holes open and then come back and hit the hole we missed later.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If I'm by myself, I'll usually try to skip the group in front or just play 2 balls. If I'm in a group, it's usually not worth it to rush and speed up to pass as the bad play is like getting a speeding ticket trying to pass on a 2 lane highway.

In the league, we'll be the slow group at times since we're reading all the putts but what can you do? If you let one group go how many more get to go? Groups that are held up should really consider pairing up.

My favorite is when I know the group in front of me. I'll just roll one by their feet in the fairway and wave from the tee

I'm the guy that plays solo more than I play with a group so if I run into a solo or pair I will sometimes join them. As I play solo more than not I tend to be that dick that will wait on the tee box hoping that me sitting there gives them the hint that they are slow and to let me by, and it works pretty well. I'm never the slow group 4 somes we get around in under 4 hours, 2 some around 3 and solo I can get around in 2 or so if there aren't people holding me up.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If I'm playing with a group, I typically wait for the ones ahead of us, unless it's one of those groups who have no intentions of speeding up play. Then I'll say something or ask to play through. If I'm by myself, I don't mind at all. I can drop an extra ball or two and get some practice in while I wait.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

I've come to accept the slow play. It doesn't bother me for the most part. I play alone 50% of the time at my club so some social interaction is welcome.

However, if it gets to be ridiculous an especially(well always) when they are playing from the wrong tee, I'd call the club house. It's not my job to confront these people. If they are loud and slow, I'd let it go for a few holes but eventually they'd need some talking to. Usually they figured it out as soon as I approach their putting green while they are still on it an apologize.

I've been around the game fo a long time and have thick face, I'm always nice and polite when I talk to them, but I have a feeling none of them want to test it and l get to let out my inner A$$hole out.

Here it is a different ball game in the tourist mecca self proclaimed golf capital of the world. Where I am a member at I will get a ranger or we will make snide remarks. Sometimes we will just go around and skip a hole. One of the rangers came up one day and was chuckling said the group complained that we went around and cut in front of them. He told them that we could do that that we were FULL TIME RESIDENTS AND MEMBERS! He said that shut them up especially when he told them they should have let us through to begin with. But most of the time Rangers are useless here because they are told "not to piss off the tourists" Most of the time in tourist season the courses ignore locals even members but it is funny when it gets hot in the summer and play is down they kiss our behinds.

The other end of the spectrum I find amusing is when I play my afternoon walking vintage rounds you will see the tourist players rushing like they are going to a fire or something. They are trying to play a "emergency 9 or 18" before having to take Momma and the kids to eat and the amusement park. I select me a shaded spot and sit down and let them through. Sometimes they thank me and sometimes they do not. I will tell them sometimes have fun I aint in a hurry besides I live around the corner and can play here as much as I want any day I want.

I am sure Fozzy and the Rev and the other Florida guys can relate too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've come to accept the slow play. It doesn't bother me for the most part. I play alone 50% of the time at my club so some social interaction is welcome.

However, if it gets to be ridiculous an especially(well always) when they are playing from the wrong tee, I'd call the club house. It's not my job to confront these people. If they are loud and slow, I'd let it go for a few holes but eventually they'd need some talking to. Usually they figured it out as soon as I approach their putting green while they are still on it an apologize.

I've been around the game fo a long time and have thick face, I'm always nice and polite when I talk to them, but I have a feeling none of them want to test it and l get to let out my inner A$$hole out.

Yep on some things I can go from nice guy to instant A$$hole in about 30 seconds and no alcohol involved either. If you ask some people they will tell you my size is intimidating though in normal mode I try not to be. Now the women that is a different story they think of me as a big cuddly Teddy Bear which ain't a bad thing.

I get real defensive about my club because I love the place and have been around it for about 15 years or so and it is "home" to me. We were talking about it the other day in the grill room I am one of 4 real old timers left most have passed on. Us old timers have went through 4 ownership changes and Lord knows how many different management changes. If someone does something to my course it is just as bad in my eyes as if they had did it to my yard or house

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Call the clubhouse -

As a Bayou member you sign a pledge that you will complete your round to n under 4 hours. There's not an issue if you take longer so long as you aren't slowing anyone down (other than a single who is expected to pick up and move around you).

You are never supposed to talk to another member about their pace of play.

No funny stories to tell - not allowing a faster group to play through if there's an open hole is not right and does more to ruin the game for others than anything else. If you want to play slow let other people play through.

Four hours is plenty of time for s foursome to play 18 unless you are talking Pebble or TPC Sawgrass where people pay so that they can get lots of pictures.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been fortunate to never really be in a group when another group has passed us.

As far as slow play in front of me, I've learned to live with it. I'm usually one of the first out at my course, but the first group out always 4 75-80 year olds that have been out every morning since the course opened 40 years ago and they do not go slow by any means... Everyone calls them "the roadrunners" lol. Typically I don't like to play 2 balls, so I'll take my time walking there, GPS reading, wipe after every shot, etc. Being one person though and taking less swings than them, I've usually caught up to them after a couple holes, they don't let me pass. So I play little games. Take a ball and whatever club I plan on hitting next walk to the other side of the fairway and chip a ball or two over to my bag, if the tee boxes are close pitch from the rough behind the green to the next box. I'll also go through my ball pocket and clean them. Whatever kills time

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm not asking about what you "should" do I'm asking about what actually happens in the real world. Funny stories would be nice too. 

Hmmm........... we usually b*tch a little and then sit in the cart and grab another beer.

I've called the clubhouse a few times when it was evident that the jack wagons ahead of us had no clue how to play or anything about golf etiquette. They usually text me back and tell us to move to an open hole and finsh on the way back in. It isn't worth getting in a pissing match with jack offs.

Last thing you wanna do with slow group in front of you is BMW(b!tch, moan, and whine). It's only make your game worse. Either accept as part of the round you can't avoid or call someone to do something about it.

I'd tolerate until it starts to bother me, then I'll call. I usually keep a few birdie balls in my bag so I'd hit a few to keep me loose.

Last thing you wanna do with slow group in front of you is BMW(b!tch, moan, and whine). It's only make your game worse. Either accept as part of the round you can't avoid or call someone to do something about it.

I'd tolerate until it starts to bother me, then I'll call. I usually keep a few birdie balls in my bag so I'd hit a few to keep me loose.

But BMW makes you feel better, right? RIGHT???

But BMW makes you feel better, right? RIGHT???

Yeah sure but also get your blood going. Then it's lose-lose.

Golf is. It the game that you can play when your heart is pounding. It's best play in between I don't give a sh!t where it goes and I'll get to have a beer when I'm done attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I try to be zen on the course. If it's slow, I have more time for shots. If I'm allowed to play through, I do. If they are new to the game, I try to be friendly. And, if it's a Saturday or Sunday, what's the point? Play through and run into the next 16 foursomes in front of you!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

20170705_112130_HDR.jpg

Today was a slow day on the course I joined a group of 2 since I was playing solo and we became back logged on a down hill par 4. A group on the green a group teeing off and us waiting. I joined the pair to avoid slowing down or to at least not be back logged and rushing people. It didn't work but I did follow some advice I stayed relaxed and didn't let it bug me too much.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Here in the NW, summer is slow play season.  Weather is warm, sometimes hot, and first-time players or people that don't play much are out to enjoy the outdoors and have a few beers with their buds.  Mostly they are not golf-etiquette wise, and play is going to be slow.  You either accept it or don't play on the weekends.  I had three really fun rounds this weekend because of the people we played with (didn't know any of them); just good people.  When we finished, they were 5+ hour rounds, and I thought we played much quicker.  Once the weather starts to cool down in the fall, pace of play speeds up because the course is played by mostly die-hard golfers.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I try to be zen on the course. If it's slow, I have more time for shots. If I'm allowed to play through, I do. If they are new to the game, I try to be friendly. And, if it's a Saturday or Sunday, what's the point? Play through and run into the next 16 foursomes in front of you!

The sunday people who want to play 3 hour rounds is what gets me going. We were backed up bad, groups on the green, middle fairway, tee box and one in the hole. The group behind us had some big hitters and short course, 3 straight holes than ran the ball up to us on their drives.  (Look we all get a hold of one that goes much further than we expect but 3 straight holes of all 4, come on).  They called the ranger on us, he came up and was like whats going on, I go well, you got 2 groups on the tee in front of us, were on the green and the guys behind us are hitting in to us, every hole, I said they can play though but dont know where theyre going. 

Honestly what was the point, it was a slow day at the course, nothing anyone in my group or the people behind us could do. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Today was sooooooooo slow we decided to pick up and skip around the two groups in front of us.  We jumped from the 13th green to the 16th tee box.  Totally frustrated as hole 15 was open except for the pecker heads that were teeing up and part of the problem and 16 - 18 was wide open.   It was hotter than a two di*k dawg at a Friday night pound out there and the slow play got on my group's last nerve.  We saw the course owner on 18 and told him about the problem and he went out to have a chat with the knuckle heads.  Anyways I was not playing well and was ready to get the heck out of dodge so maybe it was a good thing after all. Very agitating though and folks standing around playing with their arses on a hot day have no consideration for those behind them....    Ok rant over!  :angry: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Today was sooooooooo slow we decided to pick up and skip around the two groups in front of us. We jumped from the 13th green to the 16th tee box. Totally frustrated as hole 15 was open except for the pecker heads that were teeing up and part of the problem and 16 - 18 was wide open. It was hotter than a two di*k dawg at a Friday night pound out there and the slow play got on my group's last nerve. We saw the course owner on 18 and told him about the problem and he went out to have a chat with the knuckle heads. Anyways I was not playing well and was ready to get the heck out of dodge so maybe it was a good thing after all. Very agitating though and folks standing around playing with their arses on a hot day have no consideration for those behind them.... Ok rant over! :angry:

Not to throw salt on the situation, but was the bad play as a result of the agitation or were you already playing bad before you caught them?

The sunday people who want to play 3 hour rounds is what gets me going. We were backed up bad, groups on the green, middle fairway, tee box and one in the hole. The group behind us had some big hitters and short course, 3 straight holes than ran the ball up to us on their drives.  (Look we all get a hold of one that goes much further than we expect but 3 straight holes of all 4, come on).  They called the ranger on us, he came up and was like whats going on, I go well, you got 2 groups on the tee in front of us, were on the green and the guys behind us are hitting in to us, every hole, I said they can play though but dont know where theyre going. 

Honestly what was the point, it was a slow day at the course, nothing anyone in my group or the people behind us could do. 

Number 3 Might have been sent back at them if it was me.. once i get it, twice ok.. 3 times HELL no, that just being an A$$hole... I have hit close to a group, multiple times in a round.. It was league and we were all really good friends.. and they were playing slower than the group in front of them.. so they got pushed a little... Never tried to hit close enough to hurt them, but the ball was rolling went it got there.. LOL we all laughed over a beer later... a few weeks later I was on the receiving end which was fair. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Not to throw salt on the situation, but was the bad play as a result of the agitation or were you already playing bad before you caught them?

I was having an off day before they got on my/our nerves so I can't blame my poor play on them. They simply helped to make it even more miserable.

Cleveland

If I'm in a cart, I've been known to pick up a ball that comes up to me, drive back and give it to them, telling them to tee off again when we are out of the way.  Oh, and don't do it again!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Shoulda gave them a gunmy bear.

- Alan

Naw dude they would've been walking around chasing rabbits and squirrels if they had the same gummy bear I had.   :D 

Cleveland

Archived