Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Range or not

revkev

I think there are 3 ways to use the range:

1. Warm up.

2. Implementing a swing change.

3. Shot practice (working the ball left right high low 3/4 punch etc).

A simple warm up isn't going to affect your score much--a stroke or two at best... you'd be warmed up after a couple holes anyway. It's swing improvement and better shotmaking that will change your score. Swing improvement takes a bit more time and knowledge than most people have available a few minutes before tee time. But if you include shotmaking in your warmup you might benefit a little more than from just a bucket of full swings trying to hit them long and straight.

Most people i see at the range are just pounding balls. They hit a LOT of balls and get no real benefit from it... their swing looks the same at the end of the session as it did at the beginning, and they didn't learn to hit any different types of shots any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what you've written - this thread's intent is in regards to pre round warm up.

I do use the range to work on improving or maintaining what I've learned in my lessons. But it regards to my score I'm hard pressed to see how a range warm up makes a difference. I'm just as likely to play well with or without it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I try to have time to hit 5 or 6 shots with a wedge, 7 iron and driver. Just to if nothing else, make sure im a little loose and try reinforce my main swing thoght if finish the backswing.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My routine is to hit a 15-20 loosener swings in the net, then 10ish full swings on the warm up range. Full swings are more to gauge how my swing is at the time. Chipping comes next, working on different lengths and trajectories. Putting I start with 8 foot putts. Generally finish off by putting for dollars with a mate before we tee off.

Chipping and putting are always part of the warm up, even if I'm running late I'll hit at least a few of each. I find if I get to the tee without at least a few looseners it can take me a few holes to get going.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'm hit or miss on a range warm up ahead of time. I do a warm up with some leg swings forward/backward, them side/side crossovers, then build from partial to full swings in both directions.

With the actual range, driver warm up does me no good, but with wedges, I need to get a feel for how I'm swinging on grass. Putting to get an feel for the greens and speed is a must for me.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

If it's a fun round I'll just hit enough to get loose and have a rhythm going. For tournaments I have a routine where I'll show up an hour early to get ready, I do stretches on both.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

If the course has a range, I can't pass it up. I'll hit 40-60 balls then head over to the putting /chipping green to finish and wait for our tee time.

BigTazz

Grip in Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I find pre-round warmup on the range invaluable. It takes me a few dozen swings with various clubs and varying shot types to get my feel for rhythm. I really want to feel the club head in the swing and make sure my weight shift is right. Being on a grass range means that feedback is instant on timing and weight shift. I only play once a week at best, so I need a bit of time to get some feel.

I then go to the chipping practice area and spend 5-10 minutes on chips and pitches from various lies, then another 5-10 minutes on the practice green.

I agree that pre-round is no time to work on new technique. It is strictly feel and warm up for me.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I guess it's one of the perks of being young(30). I pull up, put my clubs on the cart, drive straight to #1, take 3-4 half swings, 2 full swings, and then tee it up!! I pretty much know how my driver will act after #1(might be a fade day could be a draw day or the always elusive straight ball day)

CobraConnectChallenge3

I guess it's one of the perks of being young(30). I pull up, put my clubs on the cart, drive straight to #1, take 3-4 half swings, 2 full swings, and then tee it up!! I pretty much know how my driver will act after #1(might be a fade day could be a draw day or the always elusive straight ball day)

Sounds like me, although I'm 46. Mr Theoo is trying to cure me of this particular ailment.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 4 weeks later...

So here's another question - do you vary your warm up for a tournament?

I always stretch, if I hit balls it's a dozen or so short irons, a couple of hybrids and a couple of drivers.

That doesn't change if it's a tournament. How about you?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My routine is the same whether a friendly game or tournament. I get to the course an hour and a half early, hit the range and stretch for a few minutes. Hit a few half wedge shots, short, mid and long iron shots, hybrid or fww and the driver. Normally my swing and ball trajectory is perfect. Go over to the putting green and drop a few bombs, make every short putt then head to the first tee AND PROMPTLY LEAVE ALL THE GOOD SWINGS AND PUTTS AT THE RANGE. There's a bit of crying thrown in there too after a few hooked drives and chunked iron shots but who's countung... Lol

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

My routine is the same whether a friendly game or tournament. I get to the course an hour and a half early, hit the range and stretch for a few minutes. Hit a few half wedge shots, short, mid and long iron shots, hybrid or fww and the driver. Normally my swing and ball trajectory is perfect. Go over to the putting green and drop a few bombs, make every short putt then head to the first tee AND PROMPTLY LEAVE ALL THE GOOD SWINGS AND PUTTS AT THE RANGE. There's a bit of crying thrown in there too after a few hooked drives and chunked iron shots but who's countung... Lol

MDGolfHacker

Huh, sounds familiar

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I have to hit a few before a round. I think it's mental but I have been working on some major swing changes over the last year and it's almost like I don't trust it 100% yet even though I have been striking the ball better than ever. So I just need a few swings to get to a comfort level that gives me a bit of confidence. I also putt a bit to get the pace down. Pitching and chipping is also a must. I think a total of 1/2 hour pre round warmup is a decent amount for me.

B4 play its pretty simple. Hit a few 8i into net or range, maybe chip a little in practice green then a bit of semi serious putting to try and get speed of greens. Then spend rest of time discussing mostly sports or politics with the guys and solve the worlds problems. By the time 1st group is off we have everything solved, just need someone to listen to a bunch of old farts .

BTW, very diverse group retired DEA, bankers, doctors, mfg., secret service, computer, grave digger, company owners, truck drivers, 3 retired military every occupation except a lawyer. I think we need to recruit one.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The main thing that is needed is warming up, and stretching your muscles. If you don't, you'll spend a lot of time with pre-shot practice swings.

You certainly don't need to hit a bucket of balls to do that.

I have a yellow head “skilz” club that I swing back and forth for a few minutes pre-game.

Short and easy at first, gradually speeding up, and extending more.

Then start getting a bigger turn.

Two rounds with that unit in 5 minutes you are pretty well stretched out and loose.

Then I'll hit little chip shots for a few minutes if time allows

And then finally I'll hit 10-20 putts.

Then in back of tee box I'll swing the driver about 5 times, aggressively in fact.

At that point I then just try to hit a smooth swing and off we go.

That probably sounded like a lot, but it's sort of to Revs point. I agree that range time before your round isn't the key to shooting better, proper warm up and some stretching works better for me.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sluggo, I think it depends on your skill level. I do go to the range to warm up - max 5 balls each with driver, hybrid, 7 iron and sand wedge. The benefit to me is that it inspires confidence - so I'm less likely to have the yips when I get to the first tee box

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm fortunate that I'm friendly with all of the shop help at our local courses.They let me practice early am on the course before a round on an open hole on the back 9'.Will hit 2 or 3 balls and putt them out than head over to the first tee.That blarney hole practice gives me more of an advantage than any range ever could.When guys are having breakfast, I'm out playing my pre round warm up hole.

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm fortunate that I'm friendly with all of the shop help at our local courses.They let me practice early am on the course before a round on an open hole on the back 9'.Will hit 2 or 3 balls and putt them out than head over to the first tee.That blarney hole practice gives me more of an advantage than any range ever could.When guys are having breakfast, I'm out playing my pre round warm up hole.

I like that makes sense.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That's neat that they'll let you do that. Many muni courses are fussier about rules than (at least my) private course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The main thing that is needed is warming up, and stretching your muscles. If you don't, you'll spend a lot of time with pre-shot practice swings.

You certainly don't need to hit a bucket of balls to do that.

I have a yellow head “skilz” club that I swing back and forth for a few minutes pre-game.

Short and easy at first, gradually speeding up, and extending more.

Then start getting a bigger turn.

Two rounds with that unit in 5 minutes you are pretty well stretched out and loose.

Then I'll hit little chip shots for a few minutes if time allows

And then finally I'll hit 10-20 putts.

Then in back of tee box I'll swing the driver about 5 times, aggressively in fact.

At that point I then just try to hit a smooth swing and off we go.

That probably sounded like a lot, but it's sort of to Revs point. I agree that range time before your round isn't the key to shooting better, proper warm up and some stretching works better for me.[/quote

Exactly - stretching is the key - if I️ don't stretch there's heck to pay the next few days. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Even though I prefer to hit balls prior to my round I have found time and time again that it doesn't make a bit of difference to the score that I will shoot.

Hitting a few putts on the practice green does help but hitting balls is meaningless to the outcome of my round.

I do have to stretch though.

How about you?

Aaaaa Rev the old range is almost worthless thing slash deal. I think to loosen up the body but I would tend to agree.

Bottom line I bet more golfers hit it better at range then in course because of many factors the most important would be a relaxed mind and a confident swing no matter handicap level.

Learn to play score and make your swing feel more comfortable by playing holes vs range I feel. 1 visit a week to range is good other than that better to play holes.

Archived