Breaking News: USGA Eliminate Viewer Call-ins and 4 Stroke Penalty

The USGA and the R&A have introduced a new local rule and new video protocols for 2018.

A working group led by the USGA and The R&A has unanimously agreed to adopt a new set of protocols for video review when applying the Rules of Golf.

The group, consisting of the PGA Tour, LPGA, PGA European Tour, Ladies European Tour and The PGA of America, as well as the governing bodies, will implement the following measures from January 1, 2018:

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2017/12/breaking-news-usga-r-eliminate-4-stroke.html

I agree with the majority that this rule change should have happened long ago. I'd also like to see all penalties removed where the player doesn't gain a competitive advantage. Think of other sports and try to find a penalty that doesn't come relate to a player gaining an advantage. If I were to win a tournament, I'd like to know I did it because I made the fewest strokes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver- G400 44.5" 10.0 Alta CB Stiff
:ping-small: Fairway Metal- G400 3-wood 14.5°Alta CB Stiff
:taylormade-small: #4 18* Rescue Mid
:taylormade-small: P790 4-W UST Recoil SmacWrap F3 Regular Love.gif
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50º, 54°, 58° XP95 regular flex
EVNROLL.gif ER7 34" Putter
Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer
Ball- Chromesoft, Bridgestone B330RX Tour

It's about time, It was stupid letting people call that in.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

This is actually a very good point. The ruling bodies had to concede in the past that anyone could indeed call in rules infractions because it fitted with the rules in terms of what constitutes "evidence". Likewise, in implementing the rules to their literal terms, they indeed had no option but to uphold any evidence obtained that clearly showed a breach of the rules had occurred.

Needless to say, these so-called "trial by tv" calls in p***ed a few people off - not least some of the pros making mistakes on live tv. Fast forward to now and the ruling bodies have taken the place of the viewer at home and will have their set of scrutineers looking at the live broadcast and making calls in the same manner that anyone not directly involved with the competition could make beforehand.

So in essence, nothing has really changed - only now they have closed the loophole on what beforehand made them look stupid to the golfing masses. So all the plaudits of "it's long overdue" and "about time" only serves to make it a mute point. Nothing has changed - only the method of delivery.

Didn't they announce also something to the effect of trying to get (many) more qualified rules officials on the ground and have one walking with each group?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Didn't they announce also something to the effect of trying to get (many) more qualified rules officials on the ground and have one walking with each group?

Basically, they (the rules officials) have took the place of the home viewer and spending a lot more time looking at live broadcasts for rules infractions and having more rules officials with each group as well. 

Like they should have done a lot sooner some would say. If you ask me, they still have egg on their faces from the previous incidents where they should have picked it up a lot sooner and applied the right ruling at the right time. 

• Like 1

The next revision will be that all players will be given a red beanbag, and if they want to challenge a shot they just through it out into the fairway.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

The next revision will be that all players will be given a red beanbag, and if they want to challenge a shot they just through it out into the fairway.

That's a great idea I could see a lot of shots on 17 tpc sawgrass getting the beanbag it 16 in Phoenix because it's too loud lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Or maybe a ref runs over to the player and hold up a yellow card..... ;-)
  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Then they can add spray foam where to take the penalty shot.

• Like 1

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W