Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

...not sure if you're referring to me or not, but Crossfield was kind of a trailblazer in putting golf on youtube and I respect him for that.  Sure, I agree and  disagree with some of the things he says - just like I agree and disagree with some of the things on TXG - but I'm not sure that makes me a 'troll'.  Perhaps this isn't directed at me because I rarely - if ever - comment on a youtube video that appears on a channel and you might be referencing comments made on one of your youtube videos; the lines get blurred a bit and sometimes I don't read between them properly.

BTW - you don't hit the 'big time' until you get both Crossfield and Shiels comments on your "channel".   :lol:

No no definitely didn't mean you!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark claims in his Titleist Hybrid fitting video something along the lines of "shaft is irrelevant to me because I can override what the shaft is trying to do to get the club to do what I want" 

Sorry Mark, but not everyone has god-like club control like you!

...not sure if you're referring to me or not, but Crossfield was kind of a trailblazer in putting golf on youtube and I respect him for that.  Sure, I agree and  disagree with some of the things he says - just like I agree and disagree with some of the things on TXG - but I'm not sure that makes me a 'troll'.  Perhaps this isn't directed at me because I rarely - if ever - comment on a youtube video that appears on a channel and you might be referencing comments made on one of your youtube videos; the lines get blurred a bit and sometimes I don't read between them properly.

BTW - you don't hit the 'big time' until you get both Crossfield and Shiels comments on your "channel".   :lol:

Matt wasnt referring to you - he was referring to the people in the comments of their youtube videos that quote from the Crossfield bible.

Crossfield is absolutely a trailblazer and has a wealth of knowledge about the golf swing.

When Mark C is reviewing clubs he almost always says something about getting fit for clubs.  If the "shaft does not matter" then what are you getting fit for?  TXG has shown the head makes a larger difference than the shaft for overall performance but the feel of the seems to be very important.  Mark C might not have a preference on how shafts feel because he can change his delivery to match the shaft but to say that is the same for the majority of golfers is absurd.  Put a heavy extra stiff shaft in a driver and there is no way I will be able to deliver the club head effectively.  Something a little too soft I can hit but don't like the feel.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

In his latest video his tester identifies significant feel differences and tendencies with each shaft, and Mark basically tries to convince him that he only feels that way because of what he's heard in the past...

Doesn't it seem like a blind test would be a useful way of settling this particular question? Get a shaft that has the same graphics along a range of flexes/feels, and switch between them without knowing which is which. If the change in delivery is entirely based on "I know this is an x-flex, so I'm going to make this kind of adjustment to play it," the delivery changes should disappear. If, however, the changes in delivery remain, they would be the result of adjusting in real time to the feel that the shaft is producing.

Does this seem on the right track?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

....so much Crossfield hate... what a shame. 

I don't hate him in the least.  I quite enjoy most of his videos, but you gotta admit the man does like hearing himself talk.  But that's a good thing, since a large part of his living is made that way.   I like Ian's style ( i get that its' two different formats) but Ian lets the numbers do a lot of the talking and just tells us how to use/interpret them.   He's very low key in his delivery which I personally like a lot. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't hate him in the least.  I quite enjoy most of his videos, but you gotta admit the man does like hearing himself talk.  But that's a good thing, since a large part of his living is made that way.   I like Ian's style ( i get that its' two different formats) but Ian lets the numbers do a lot of the talking and just tells us how to use/interpret them.   He's very low key in his delivery which I personally like a lot. 

Rob - you going to grab me some TXG swag and smuggle it across the border?

I think they should record Golfspy Robs experience for their next video. What's your swing speed Golfspy Rob?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Doesn't it seem like a blind test would be a useful way of settling this particular question? Get a shaft that has the same graphics along a range of flexes/feels, and switch between them without knowing which is which. If the change in delivery is entirely based on "I know this is an x-flex, so I'm going to make this kind of adjustment to play it," the delivery changes should disappear. If, however, the changes in delivery remain, they would be the result of adjusting in real time to the feel that the shaft is producing.

Does this seem on the right track?

Yes absolutely!

I believe most competent instructors, and certainly highly skilled players such as those on Tour , consider learning and practicing good effective swing technique to be about 99% of the equation.

Absolutely. And then those same players get fittings to maximize their swing.

Yes absolutely!

Kinda like this ??

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

...I don't get the complaints about Mark's recent video.

At 19:22 in the video he says:

"If you think going to get custom fit is about getting the right shaft AND THAT'S IT then you are not going to get better at golf."

Haven't we/they always said that it's a combination of shaft and clubhead???

I don't think he's saying that the shaft doesn't matter.

I also found this comment on his video amusing.

He "liked" pretty much every comment except this one.  :lol:

Capture.JPG

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I think they should record Golfspy Robs experience for their next video. What's your swing speed Golfspy Rob?

I hope Ian realizes my SS can't be measured by GC Quad.  He'll need more like a SunDial  :D

It seems to range between 86 and 91, depending on circumstances and the device being used. 

Matt wasnt referring to you - he was referring to the people in the comments of their youtube videos that quote from the Crossfield bible.

Crossfield is absolutely a trailblazer and has a wealth of knowledge about the golf swing.

I think this is true. And I think that most teaching pros view their side of the business as crucial and fitting as ancillary. But based on some of the results we've seen the TXG guys be able to deliver there is an extent to which they can actually change where the ball goes without necessarily altering how you do it that much, which is a bit amazing.

It also seems like there's a Hanlon's Razor element with Crossfield. He doesn't have any malice toward fitting but is simply not well informed on how vast the options in a fitter's arsenal may be, so he just disregards it.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

...I don't get the complaints about Mark's recent video.

At 19:22 in the video he says:

"If you think going to get custom fit is about getting the right shaft AND THAT'S IT then you are not going to get better at golf."

Haven't we/they always said that it's a combination of shaft and clubhead???

I don't think he's saying that the shaft doesn't matter.

I also found this comment on his video amusing.

He "liked" pretty much every comment except this one.  :lol:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I'll also add this tweet he posted last night to the mix: https://twitter.com/4golfonline/status/998849252695642112?s=21

As with anything, people will twist information to confirm their biases as much as possible. Mark clearly knows that shafts aren't completely pointless, but some of his audience have chosen to take it that way.

Well, I've tried to answer some comments on Mark's video (specifically the ones shouting out TXG). Mostly to emphasize the we don't actually disagree with Mark on shafts all that much, or at least certainly not to the degree that people think. Hopefully he will take notice and maybe send us a message back!

I hope you don't get steamrolled by his fanboys. It seems like they do most of the dirty work for him and then he just agrees with some of snarky comment. Oh well. I don't know where the chip on his shoulder has come from.

I like how TXG can communicate with golfers without sounding pretentious

Have to give Mark full credit for a classy move here:

screen-shot-2018-05-22-at-1.07.28-pm.png

That would be a great video for your channel.  Good luck with some productive collaboration.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Your comments and Instagram post are first class. I think sometimes Mark gets so caught up with trying to be entertaining that his core message gets lost. His latest shaft video was a prime example for that. If I were to have simply watched that video in a vacuum I would have concluded that Mark is saying shafts have no impact and all shafts are the same.

He obviously doesn't think that, but how he is perceived in his latest video definitely goes down that path.

I'd love to see some collaboration videos in the future.

Back to the good stuff. Regarding sole width: wedges with high bounce with the a large sole arena often marketed/recommended for players that get steep and take big divots. There have been numerous videos where Ian has mentioned the golfer being fitted needing an iron with a thinner sole because they are hitting their shots too fat/heavy. I'd love to hear more around sole width/bounce and strike.

Your comments and Instagram post are first class. I think sometimes Mark gets so caught up with trying to be entertaining that his core message gets lost. His latest shaft video was a prime example for that. If I were to have simply watched that video in a vacuum I would have concluded that Mark is saying shafts have no impact and all shafts are the same.

He obviously doesn't think that, but how he is perceived in his latest video definitely goes down that path.

I'd love to see some collaboration videos in the future.

Back to the good stuff. Regarding sole width: wedges with high bounce with the a large sole arena often marketed/recommended for players that get steep and take big divots. There have been numerous videos where Ian has mentioned the golfer being fitted needing an iron with a thinner sole because they are hitting their shots too fat/heavy. I'd love to hear more around sole width/bounce and strike.

Would agree with that assessment as well. I think he definitely means well, and having met him briefly at the PGA show my impression is that he's a genuine guy and golf professional.

Wedge grind/bounce/sole selection video is actually planned for the near future. Maybe shooting it this Thursday if we have time.

Not sure if you guys have done this ... or even if you can ... but it would be interesting to see the difference between a player who is a "picker/sweeper" vs. one who takes a divot.

there seem to be different schools of thought on this and one of the more predominant ones that I hear is that you **should** take a divot.  can't say that I necessarily agree with that but I don't have anything to back it up other than the fact that I've played with good players who do both.  Of course I'm primarily speaking about iron shots; I realize that you usually don't take divots with fwy woods.

Again - might be difficult to do indoor on the sim but a comparison between the two and various interpretations of results like spin, ball flight, etc. would be interesting to see.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I have noticed that with interest as well.  I have generally followed the wider sole, steeper swing theory.  But occasionally I run into a sole that  I can just feel is so thick it doesn't work for me, or that I can actually get the narrower sole of say a AP2 to interact with the ground very nicely.   I'm very anxious to see what if any thoughts he has for me on this.

I have noticed that with interest as well.  I have generally followed the wider sole, steeper swing theory.  But occasionally I run into a sole that  I can just feel is so thick it doesn't work for me, or that I can actually get the narrower sole of say a AP2 to interact with the ground very nicely.   I'm very anxious to see what if any thoughts he has for me on this.

There will definitely be some discussion on that I'd imagine. The first time I heard Ian talking about that in a fitting it blew my mind a bit. It's actually in the P790/Callaway Epic iron fitting video we did, but the coles notes is just a change in sole width made a huge difference in the player's striking.

Absolutely I would be interested in that video. Like is a wide sole better for steep swing or sweeper swing. How do you know which one you are...maybe divot depth is an indicator?

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

There will definitely be some discussion on that I'd imagine. The first time I heard Ian talking about that in a fitting it blew my mind a bit. It's actually in the P790/Callaway Epic iron fitting video we did, but the coles notes is just a change in sole width made a huge difference in the player's striking.

I think that is where I first heard it as well, and spent the next several minutes trying to comprehend that, I probably missed other vital info.   I have gone back and watched Sam's iron fitting again, as i forgot what he was fit into, and when I saw Srixon's  I said, oh yeah those were good for him.   How's he doing with them lately?

Absolutely I would be interested in that video. Like is a wide sole better for steep swing or sweeper swing. How do you know which one you are...maybe divot depth is an indicator?

Probably not supposed to post links in here so I won't, but the video is called Taylormade P790 & Callaway Epic Iron Fitting – Adding More Distance

And actually there's more discussion about it in our more recent video on PXG irons.

I think that is where I first heard it as well, and spent the next several minutes trying to comprehend that, I probably missed other vital info.   I have gone back and watched Sam's iron fitting again, as i forgot what he was fit into, and when I saw Srixon's  I said, oh yeah those were good for him.   How's he doing with them lately?

Playing like a champ last time I heard! I think his handicap is down a few shots from what he tells me, he's been working on his swing a bit as well which certainly doesn't hurt.

Archived