deejaid

Anyone Playing Persimmon?

So I joined a club with an old school course; 6400 yards, narrow tree-lined fairways, and small greens. Accuracy off the tee is much more important than distance. I'm really thinking a nice set of persimmon woods would be wonderful for this course. I'm thinking maybe a set of Wood Bros blonde woods would be sweet. Also looking at Ping Zings, Peerless Pete, and Louisville golf woods.

I know Stu probably swings the persimmons once and awhile but do any of you other guys break out the persimmons on shorter courses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I joined a club with an old school course; 6400 yards, narrow tree-lined fairways, and small greens. Accuracy off the tee is much more important than distance. I'm really thinking a nice set of persimmon woods would be wonderful for this course. I'm thinking maybe a set of Wood Bros blonde woods would be sweet. Also looking at Ping Zings, Peerless Pete, and Louisville golf woods.

I know Stu probably swings the persimmons once and awhile but do any of you other guys break out the persimmons on shorter courses?

I own a driver but its mostly for decoration now. If you get something go with the Louisville Golf woods and get a short set from National Customs. Perfect old school bag

• Like 1

Typically your control won't be as good with those. I watched a Rick Shields video where he tested Persimmon or Laminated woods. The problem was control. Ball flight was much more inconsistent. My last set of woods were traditional size metal woods. Control was the issue with those any ball of center is potentially a big problem. Now if you are a consistent middle of the club face hitter, they will work fine.

I would wrather play a modern hybrid than a vintage wood as I find my hybrid is really straight hitting. It is also forgiving if I am a bit off the toe or heal.

I have thought about getting a Persimmon driver to hit on the range for fun. However, I would not play one personally. Regardless of how far you hit the ball I find modern woods easier to control.

• Like 1

I've got a Cleveland Classic persimmon 5 wood I'm going to take to the range today to hit against my 20* Adams DHY Pro Hybrid. Will see how it goes.

Well I should - I was longer with my Eye 2 5 wood the last time I hit it 15 years ago than I am with my big headed driver today.

Okay so I was 46 and lived in Wisconsin then but why bother sweating the details.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

got a Titleist 3 wood persimmon, striping a balata ball from a tee surrounded by trees gets a great sound.

• Like 1

got a Titleist 3 wood persimmon, striping a balata ball from a tee surrounded by trees gets a great sound.

Yes - I remember it well. :)

It's a much better sound than a balata ball striking a tree - that's for certain.

• Like 4

... I have 2 custom made McGregor M85's and a Cleveland Classic DG43 I pull out once a year and play 9 holes to remind me how lucky we are to have 460cc drivers with high MOI. 

• Like 3

Well the first swing was a low line drive but subsequent swings had some beautiful height and flew quite nice. Im not sure of the Cleveland Classic 5 woods loft but my Adams dhy 20* hybrid was an easy 15-20 yards further.

Very satisfying feeling and a lot of fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well the first swing was a low line drive but subsequent swings had some beautiful height and flew quite nice. Im not sure of the Cleveland Classic 5 woods loft but my Adams dhy 20* hybrid was an easy 15-20 yards further.

Very satisfying feeling and a lot of fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That club gave me my 1st eagle, a 250 yrd blind shot, my cousin said look in the hole & I said yeah, right. He went over & pulled my ball out. Lol
  • Like 3

I still have my Dad's custom build D-5 woods (persimmon) and a few old-school sets of blades that I take out once or twice a year. Really, these are wall-hangers, but it's fun to do. Distance, control, and yes , "accuracy" all suffer massively except on center strikes (still lose a lot of distance with the woods), but good fun on "old school" day.

Side note- growing up playing stuff like this, it might have made me a better golfer than if I had the stuff we have today- not necessarily shoot better scores, but you had to have good technique and think about what you were doing, as opposed to just spray and pray...

• Like 1

I'm not playing persimmons anymore. I prefer something in the 460cc range myself.

But if you want to hit one in the Screws; this is what you'll need.

20180623_172021.jpg

20180623_172036.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not playing persimmons anymore. I prefer something in the 460cc range myself.

But if you want to hit one in the Screws; this is what you'll need.

attachicon.gif20180623_172021.jpg

attachicon.gif20180623_172036.jpg

Sad that some have never had the pleasure of looking down at a beautifully finished wood club behind the ball. I still like hitting a 460cc driver but there is something special about hitting wood woods.

• Like 2

I saw a beautiful set of Hogan persimmon woods and blades at Bayou on Sunday - they were Brent's, the guy who played on the Euro and US tour -

Just gorgeous clubs

• Like 2

I have a set of Sam Snead woods in the garage. If I ever decide to play them, I'm going to wear wool pants and a sweater on a summer's day and wear shoes two sizes too small. I mean, if I'm going to torture myself, I might as well go all out.

• Like 2

If hitting fairways and being consistent is your goal then I'd suggest cutting down a modern driver to 42-43".  You'll lose 10-15 yards most likely but you'll also probably find it as easy to hit as a green with a chip from the fringe.  I'm trying to find some good quality used persimmons to mess around with myself but in no way do I think I'd be more accurate with them compared to the modern and very forgiving giant driver heads available today. 

• Like 1

In my attic, I still have:

- An ancient MacGregor Tommy Armour Tourney persimmon Driver that's god knows how old

- My Sounder Seve Ballesteros Tour Limited persimmon driver from 1986

- My grandfather's Titleist persimmon woods from 1980-something

I will never get rid of any of them, but I'm afraid I'd split them if I hit them.

I have an old Judy Rankin 1-3-5 set of woods here at the house that belongs to my wife's grandma. I regripped the driver the other day just to try it out. Hit it one the screws and it's okay. Miss it just a tiny bit though and you are up a creek!