GolfSpy MPR

A thread about Kirke

Our Sponsors

Kirke and I walked a quick nine this morning. Here's one of his tee shots:
He smashed this drive on a 175 yard par 4, tossed a PW on, and walked off with his par.

Awesome pure talent for the game. I don’t know what’s better, his swing, the drive, or the clean par? Seems like he’s heading in the right direction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

So the Little Linksters Swing Contest that I've mentioned here before extended their submission deadline. That works really well for us; typically, they ask for the videos by the end of March, when we still have snow piled on the ground. I made one back in January using swings from last season; with the extended deadline, I was able to reshoot the video using Kirke's swing from this season. I'm pleased with how this came out:

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So the Little Linksters Swing Contest that I've mentioned here before extended their submission deadline. That works really well for us; typically, they ask for the videos by the end of March, when we still have snow piled on the ground. I made one back in January using swings from last season; with the extended deadline, I was able to reshoot the video using Kirke's swing from this season. I'm pleased with how this came out:

Immediately thought of this commercial.  Good luck in the contest!

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

5 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Immediately thought of this commercial.  Good luck in the contest!

Definitely familiar with that commercial, though it wasn't a conscious choice to replicate that. I try to avoid making those comparisons right now 🙂

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Definitely familiar with that commercial, though it wasn't a conscious choice to replicate that. I try to avoid making those comparisons right now 🙂

Completely understand.  Not trying to forward those specific comparisons , I thought it was a really cool video!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

SkyCaddie SX400

Great video! Kirke has such a smooth swing and you showcased it well. I love the two ending shots, the long putt and the shot with the sunset in the background to end it. That's a nice way to finish it and good luck to Kirke in the contest!

• Like 2

Awesome video! And it looks like your course is in great shape, too!

What does the winner of the contest get?

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

This is awesome stuff @GolfSpy MPR  Regarding walking 9 with Kirke, when/how did you start walking with him?  His idea or did you have to siggest it or prod him a bit.  My oldest (Grant) is just 6 but he only recently stopped complaining that his bag was heavy carrying it to the range, and he loves having a chance to drive the cart.  I'm hoping I can coax him into walking when he's ready.

• Like 1

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This is awesome stuff @GolfSpy MPR  Regarding walking 9 with Kirke, when/how did you start walking with him?  His idea or did you have to siggest it or prod him a bit.  My oldest (Grant) is just 6 but he only recently stopped complaining that his bag was heavy carrying it to the range, and he loves having a chance to drive the cart.  I'm hoping I can coax him into walking when he's ready.

Kirke and I started walking nine when he was 4. My biggest recommendation: get a push cart, or modify one to hold a kid's bag. It makes a huge difference; Kirke isn't a big kid, and I suspect he'd really struggle to carry his bag for nine holes. Right now, (he's 7) we walk if we're playing 9, cart if we're playing 18. Kirke and I both use push carts when we walk.

Kirke starting playing (carting) 9 hole rounds when he was 3. He started from the 100 yard stakes. On my end, I've never had to twist his arm into playing, but that varies by kid. My younger son Christopher doesn't have anything like the interest in golf that Kirke does, and that's awesome too. (He'd rather come and ride the cart.)

14 hours ago, edingc said:

Awesome video! And it looks like your course is in great shape, too!

What does the winner of the contest get?

Interesting observation about the course. The biggest concern up here each year is obviously the greens. Six months of snow cover is hard on greens, but our course's crew did great prep work and the greens came through the winter well.

There were areas of fairway that died, though, and they've been working to get grass sprouting there. Creative film work kept those out of the video 🙂

But you can see, if you check the video, that nearly all the rough around the fairway is dead. There was an incident a couple weeks back: the weed killer was the wrong formula, and it has essentially killed most of the grass off the fairway of our course. Not ideal, obviously, but it's been re-seeded, and perhaps long-term it'll end up being a plus.

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Kirke and I started walking nine when he was 4. My biggest recommendation: get a push cart, or modify one to hold a kid's bag. 

Thanks.  You found him a kid-specific cart, or did you make a modification?

• Like 1

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Interesting observation about the course. The biggest concern up here each year is obviously the greens. Six months of snow cover is hard on greens, but our course's crew did great prep work and the greens came through the winter well.

There were areas of fairway that died, though, and they've been working to get grass sprouting there. Creative film work kept those out of the video 🙂

But you can see, if you check the video, that nearly all the rough around the fairway is dead. There was an incident a couple weeks back: the weed killer was the wrong formula, and it has essentially killed most of the grass off the fairway of our course. Not ideal, obviously, but it's been re-seeded, and perhaps long-term it'll end up being a plus.

I noticed the rough but didn't think anything of it. I was more impressed with the condition of the fairways. Where I play the fairways are very spotty and uneven. Yours looks so lush comparatively!

Hopefully over-seeding the rough does help in the longer term. 

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

11 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  You found him a kid-specific cart, or did you make a modification?

My dad (who's much handier than I am) made some adjustments to a model like this to hold Kirke's clubs:

cart.jpg

• Like 1

It's always super-encouraging to get kind words from accomplished players or coaches. Today, I noticed that Lucy Li (who qualified for the women's US Open at age 11!) left a kind comment on one of Kirke's swing videos on Instagram:

image.png

As the summer has progressed, Kirke's game is really rounding into form. He's grown into the increased course length for this year. On Saturday, I was playing really well and actually had a one-shot lead through nine holes (I was 2-over to his 3-over). I proceeded to shoot 6-over on the book (for what is still a happy 79 for me); Kirke shot 1-over on the back, for a nice 4-over 75 round.

Even when I think I'm going to beat this kid, I still lose. Wouldn't have it any other way 🙂

• Like 8
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's always super-encouraging to get kind words from accomplished players or coaches. Today, I noticed that Lucy Li (who qualified for the women's US Open at age 11!) left a kind comment on one of Kirke's swing videos on Instagram:

image.png

As the summer has progressed, Kirke's game is really rounding into form. He's grown into the increased course length for this year. On Saturday, I was playing really well and actually had a one-shot lead through nine holes (I was 2-over to his 3-over). I proceeded to shoot 6-over on the book (for what is still a happy 79 for me); Kirke shot 1-over on the back, for a nice 4-over 75 round.

Even when I think I'm going to beat this kid, I still lose. Wouldn't have it any other way 🙂

It's gotta be the shoes.  Time for some hightops @GolfSpy MPR

• Haha 1

SkyCaddie SX400

Guys, looking for some feedback here.

Kirke has never played in a stroke play tournament against other kids. He was able to participate in Drive, Chip, and Putt last season (canceled this year), but other than that, all of his rounds have been with me and other adults.

Opportunities for kids golf tournaments locally are very limited, by which I mean essentially non-existent. Given our remote location, finding a tournament that has a bracket for Kirke's age is especially challenging, because there just aren't a ton of 7-year-olds in most places looking to play in tournaments.

I've been keeping a close eye on the schedule for the Minneapolis Tour of US Kids Golf. Minneapolis is about a 4.5 hour drive from here, and I was planning to get Kirke in one even there this summer. (A further complication is that because my day job is that I pastor a church, Sunday tournaments aren't going to work for us.) There's a Monday event at the end of August I've been targeting.

Registration opened yesterday, and I was excited. The fee for the tournament (9 holes) is $39; that's fine. Pricey if you think about him playing nine (half-length holes), but understandable with the expenses for putting on the tournament. But on the next registration screen, I also found out there is a fee for the season, another $40. Since this will be Kirke's only event (given the travel, etc.), we're looking at $80 for nine holes of golf.

The issue isn't whether we can afford it; this isn't going to break us (though it is the reminder of the standing barriers that exist in golf against those without means). It feels like one of those, "It's not the money; it's the principle" things.

I don't believe that a competitive event is somehow essential to Kirke's development at age 7. There are guys on Tour who weren't even swinging a club at that age, much less entering tournaments. I have no desire to get sucked in to Junior Golf Development, Inc.

At the same time, I know it's something he'd enjoy (he'd be bummed if I told him we weren't going to do it), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in where he stands compared to other kids his age.

So what do you guys think?

• Like 2

Kirke has never played in a stroke play tournament against other kids. He was able to participate in Drive, Chip, and Putt last season (canceled this year), but other than that, all of his rounds have been with me and other adults.
Opportunities for kids golf tournaments locally are very limited, by which I mean essentially non-existent. Given our remote location, finding a tournament that has a bracket for Kirke's age is especially challenging, because there just aren't a ton of 7-year-olds in most places looking to play in tournaments.
I've been keeping a close eye on the schedule for the Minneapolis Tour of US Kids Golf. Minneapolis is about a 4.5 hour drive from here, and I was planning to get Kirke in one even there this summer. (A further complication is that because my day job is that I pastor a church, Sunday tournaments aren't going to work for us.) There's a Monday event at the end of August I've been targeting.
Registration opened yesterday, and I was excited. The fee for the tournament (9 holes) is $39; that's fine. Pricey if you think about him playing nine (half-length holes), but understandable with the expenses for putting on the tournament. But on the next registration screen, I also found out there is a fee for the season, another $40. Since this will be Kirke's only event (given the travel, etc.), we're looking at $80 for nine holes of golf.
The issue isn't whether we can afford it; this isn't going to break us (though it is the reminder of the standing barriers that exist in golf against those without means). It feels like one of those, "It's not the money; it's the principle" things.
I don't believe that a competitive event is somehow essential to Kirke's development at age 7. There are guys on Tour who weren't even swinging a club at that age, much less entering tournaments. I have no desire to get sucked in to Junior Golf Development, Inc.
At the same time, I know it's something he'd enjoy (he'd be bummed if I told him we weren't going to do it), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in where he stands compared to other kids his age.

I’d be willing to drop the $80 because you’ll surely make his day and I know I’m not the only one that would love to see the vlog or post for that one!

Maybe you could try calling the group hosting the event and explain that you wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the membership and would only be out there once?

• Like 2

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I’d be willing to drop the $80 because you’ll surely make his day and I know I’m not the only one that would love to see the vlog or post for that one!

Maybe you could try calling the group hosting the event and explain that you wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the membership and would only be out there once?

Should have guessed this wasn't the most unbiased audience 🙂

And I did email US Kids; they replied today that the season fee cannot be waived.

• Like 2

Should have guessed this wasn't the most unbiased audience
And I did email US Kids; they replied today that the season fee cannot be waived.

Haha this is true. Too bad about the US Kids... are there any other benefits to it or is it just to be able to compete in their tournaments?

• Like 2

#cuetheduckboats

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Should have guessed this wasn't the most unbiased audience 🙂

That sucks .. I would prob do it for the memories you will have with kirk and I guess he will be really stoked about it.. See how it goes and if you feel the whole process wasn't worth the extra season fee then at least you know for next time. But could you imagine if he won ! 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

A constant debate among households & sports. To participate in travel or not. 

At 7 IMO probably too young to start that road. It won't stop anytime soon. 

It would be a blast no doubt but I don't think at that age it is necessary. 

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."