Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Need higher launch fairway woods

gbtrsc

I’m a 13 HCP with a 95-100mph driver swing speed. I tend to be a sweeper with my FWs and hit them quite low. I’m looking for advice on heads, shafts, or both that are known to produce a significantly higher ball flight. Currently using Srixon F65 3W and 5w with Miyazaki R flex shafts. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I’m a 13 HCP with a 95-100mph driver swing speed. I tend to be a sweeper with my FWs and hit them quite low. I’m looking for advice on heads, shafts, or both that are known to produce a significantly higher ball flight. Currently using Srixon F65 3W and 5w with Miyazaki R flex shafts. Thanks.

My swing speed is a hair lower than yours and I hit my 3 wood pretty low as well. For awhile I bagged the Taylormade M4 HL. The HL stood for high launch and it certainly launched the ball high for me. My issue was I couldn’t hit it straight but I have that problem with a lot of clubs. Anyway that would be a good one to hit IMO.

I just got a Wilson D7 hybrid that launches fairly high so I’ve gotta think their fairways may do the same. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks. I’m also thinking about trying an older clubhead like the Adams XtD Ti with a Matrix Ozick Program 7.1. I have that shaft in an XTD 4h and it’s super consistent and high launch. Cheap experiment too.

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Your swing sounds like mine.  I moved back to older fairway woods because they tend to spin more than the newer ones and that helps with launch for me.  My favorite is the TM 2007 Burner but certainly the VSteels are legendary.

As for the XTD TI fairway woods, I found them relatively low launching and low spin (I do play the XTD TI 17* hybrid as my "driving iron" in windy conditions).

I don't think you will find any easier FW to launch  and high than the PING G410 lineup.  

I have 3(16) 7 and 9 FW and they are quickly becoming my favorite clubs in the bag. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A really good Fairway wood that might help you (and you can find them new on EBAY for about $50), is the Callaway V series. I thought they were a little too much spin for me, but if that's what you're looking for, maybe give them a try? One caveat. The Bassara shaft might feel too light for you, but at that price, what do you have to lose? You can probably get $40 back in trade from CPO if you don't like them...

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:            :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 22* & 25*

Irons:             :mizuno-small:  JPX 923 HM 6-AW

Wedges:        :ping-small: Tour Issue Glide 4.0 54-12

:ping-small:  Tour Issue Glide 4.0 58-10

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

As for the XTD TI fairway woods, I found them relatively low launching and low spin (I do play the XTD TI 17* hybrid as my "driving iron" in windy conditions).

That’s really helpful. Thanks.

Would also like to find a local shop that stocks the Tour Edge CBX, last year’s most wanted.

11 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't think you will find any easier FW to launch  and high than the PING G410 lineup.

+1.  I just retired my Callaway WB 3w for a G400 SFT. I picked up a brand new one on Ebay. It hits higher and does so more reliably off the deck.  I haven't tested how well it performs out of the rough - something the WB did pretty well.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

My recommendation would be to try something like the Heavenwood. I swing around 95 and I don’t even attempt my 4w off the deck. Not worth it. The heavenwood on the other hand is one of the easiest to hit clubs I’ve ever bagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

11 hours ago, gbtrsc said:

Would also like to find a local shop that stocks the Tour Edge CBX, last year’s most wanted.

I think you would prefer the ER line from Tour Edge as they launch higher than the CBX.  I have the ER 10 but you could save some money and go a back a year or two.  They offer a variety of shafts - I think that the White Board is the highest launching of that group.  They also have a 4 wood if that's a route you wanted to go  - you should really consult a fitter to see what might work best your particular swing - but my swing is similar to yours if that means anything.  I am able to get some air under the ER 10 - since I've been chosen as a Ping tester for the long game clubs I'm sure that I will have some form of G410 in my bag at some point here so I will get to compare how it launches to how my current 3 wood launches - figures I finally have a 3 wood that I'm hitting fairly well and out of the bag it comes. 🙂

The problem with this type of thread is that you are going to have everyone giving you their favorite club and it may work very well for their swing - you have to sort through whether or not its the right one for your swing. 

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Revkev: Appreciate your input.  Understand your comment about "favorite club", that's why I popped in my HCP,  swing speed, and flight tendency for reference.  I've decided that I'm going to go to a local fitter.  I'm happy with my driver, and expect to be happy with my irons when they show up from BenHoganGolf.com (TODAY!), and even like my hybrid (but hoping the Hogan 4-iron boots it).  But that 3w-5w area between the driver and the 4h/4i has been troublesome for a while.  

While higher lofted fw or hybrid might be the easier to hit, perhaps your issue could be addressed by a ball position change, shallower angle of attack or other swing fundamental. If those are all in good standing, look at shafts that address higher launch conditions. A good fitter should have you going well in no time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I'm the opposite, I hit towering shots with mine. No good in the wind, but I go after a specific distance, not necessarily looking to max them out. I used to hit them even higher, but learned a few things that helped me reduce the height. I went from a 65 gram shaft to a 75 gram shaft, and went with something a little stiffer in the tip section. I didn't catch the specs on your shaft setup, but maybe going lighter and a more active tip section would be worth looking into?

I also have a negative angle of attack, and spin the heck out of my ball. I'm positive hitting down a little more than you are would help with getting that ball up.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Before I really hit my stride and grew a bit I used a 4 wood. Have you thought about taking the 3 and 5 out and replacing with one 4 wood?

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

On 5/8/2019 at 10:03 PM, gbtrsc said:

if youre struggling to launch fairways already, I highly doubt the cbx would be the route to go. Those things are penetrating, low spin monsters! also not launching fairways is usually a setup/swing issue....

otherwise id look at the Cleveland launcher line. Those are designed to help people get it in the air..the regular Ping  g410 line is really damn good too

TM M5 9* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 6x

TM M6 15* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 7x

Callaway Epic Forged 4i Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

Mizuno MP 20MMC 4 - PW Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

TM Milled Grind 2 50*, 54* UST Recoil Prototype 125

TM Bigfoot 58* UST Recoil Wedge Prototype 125

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

If you aren’t hitting a 5w then I’m would look at modifying your setup.

heres a couple videos

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This is a quick reference to last years’ top fairway wood results. If you’re looking for a higher launch, start with the higher spinning heads and work off of that.

Good luck!

IMG_5546.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I looked at that spin / launch angle data from last year's test.  The Cobra F Max is THE highest spinning, and the highest launch angle.  Not surprisingly, it's one of the shortest in the test.  The Ping G400 isn't far down the list in the spin category.  The guy I played in my match today had a G400 3W that he let me hit once, and I hit it really purely off a downhill lie and crushed it.  That's one that I'll spend time with at the fitting.   But I'm also thinking about going the 4W-7W route as well.  Bonus for the G400 adjustability. 

I'll second the heavenwood, I have a steelhead xr and hit it better than the fusion 5 wood that I had prior, for me it's about filling gap distances don't care what number is on the club.

• 5 weeks later...

If you're on a budget, pick up an Adams LP series. EEEAASY launch, straight. Distance is good but won't keep up with more modern clubs. Very cheap. Be careful in the rough.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter