Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Putt Out Golf Practice System

Our Sponsors

13 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Hey guys I included a GIF at the end of my review of me putting let me know what I can do to change or what I am doing wrong.

I'm no expert, but since you asked... to me its looks like @cnosil is right.  Your body looks like it's turning.  From the gif I see your left shoulder go up and back like the left arm is pulling the putter to the inside; almost a mini chicken wing with the left elbow.  Maybe it's just the camera angle though.  Check to make sure your shoulders are square at setup and not open slightly; keep them square.

The age-old drill is to put a "gate", with tees or something else, about 4-5" in front of the ball in line with the hole on a straight putt.  The gate should be just a little wider than the ball.  How wide depends on how good you are.  If you can consistently get the ball through the gate, you should be good.  

I used to do this drill, but I changed to making 3-4 foot putts with my right hand only.  Set up to putt with both hands using your normal grip.  Now remove your left hand; place it on your side, and putt with your right hand, keeping the wrist hinge at a constant angle. Don't let the wrist unhinge!  When you can make 6 in a row, add your left hand back on and repeat.  If you pull, your left arm is interfering or you're turning.  Keep repeating the one-handed putts, moving to longer distances as you get better.  I do this before every round I play.  Tiger does this, so it must be good... right?  😀

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great reviews, guys.  I have used a putt out before, I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has been driven mad by the micro target.  That is one challenging little test.   It is very interesting to see that everyone with the grey putting mat is having the same issue.  I wonder if the green mat is doing the same?

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm no expert, but since you asked... to me its looks like @cnosil is right.  Your body looks like it's turning.  From the gif I see your left shoulder go up and back like the left arm is pulling the putter to the inside; almost a mini chicken wing with the left elbow.  Maybe it's just the camera angle though.  Check to make sure your shoulders are square at setup and not open slightly; keep them square.

The body will turn,  but it looks like it is turning more to the left and Kenny B seems correct about the chicken wing with the left arm.    Almost looks like you try to move the putter straight back with your arms and then pull or push the putter and rotate the shoulders on the forward stroke.  By fixing the chicken wing,  you may even pull the ball more left becuase you cut across and close teh putter more.   

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The body will turn,  but it looks like it is turning more to the left and Kenny B seems correct about the chicken wing with the left arm.    Almost looks like you try to move the putter straight back with your arms and then pull or push the putter and rotate the shoulders on the forward stroke.  By fixing the chicken wing,  you may even pull the ball more left becuase you cut across and close teh putter more.   

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The age-old drill is to put a "gate", with tees or something else, about 4-5" in front of the ball in line with the hole on a straight putt.  The gate should be just a little wider than the ball.  How wide depends on how good you are.  If you can consistently get the ball through the gate, you should be good.  

I used to do this drill, but I changed to making 3-4 foot putts with my right hand only.  Set up to putt with both hands using your normal grip.  Now remove your left hand; place it on your side, and putt with your right hand, keeping the wrist hinge at a constant angle. Don't let the wrist unhinge!  When you can make 6 in a row, add your left hand back on and repeat.  If you pull, your left arm is interfering or you're turning.  Keep repeating the one-handed putts, moving to longer distances as you get better.  I do this before every round I play.  Tiger does this, so it must be good... right?  😀

I noticed the chicken wing in the GIF too. I will try to one hand putts again I never had luck doing them. I never saw my putting stroke I even slowed it down quite a bit for the GIF. I will take whatever help I can to get better that is why I included it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I noticed the chicken wing in the GIF too. I will try to one hand putts again I never had luck doing them. I never saw my putting stroke I even slowed it down quite a bit for the GIF. I will take whatever help I can to get better that is why I included it.

If you can putt left hand low, that should help as well.  I tried that grip for 2 weeks and it just didn't work for me; no control of the face.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you can putt left hand low, that should help as well.  I tried that grip for 2 weeks and it just didn't work for me; no control of the face.

I never had luck with that grip. The grip I use gives me good control of the face and it works beat for me I've tinkered a lot. I'll have to focus of that elbow and try to get it figured out.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kanoito said:

One thing that got me pretty confused was giving the training aid a score. What exactly do you value? The device itself or the benefits they bring on the course?

I based my score on the fact that I got better by using it.  The training aid made me want to practice and kept me focused, practicing deliberately and forcing me out of my comfort zone.  The book Peak by Anders Ericsson does a great job of describing this.

Can you achieve the same results without PuttOUT?  Sure.  But PuttOUT makes it easier.

• Like 4

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I based my score on the fact that I got better by using it.  The training aid made me want to practice and kept me focused, practicing deliberately and forcing me out of my comfort zone.  The book Peak by Anders Ericsson does a great job of describing this.

Can you achieve the same results without PuttOUT?  Sure.  But PuttOUT makes it easier.

Easier, yes. At the same time it was frustrating with the groove. If the PuttOut didn't have such quality issues, I would have given it a 90-100 and definitely recommend it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

11 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Easier, yes. At the same time it was frustrating with the groove. If the PuttOut didn't have such quality issues, I would have given it a 90-100 and definitely recommend it.

Yep, the groove in the mat kept me under 90. I recommend the trainer and the mirror, but not the mat. 

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On 9/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, JohnSmalls said:

It is very interesting to see that everyone with the grey putting mat is having the same issue.  I wonder if the green mat is doing the same?

I'd also be curious if it's more of an issue with the grey mat than the others, especially seeing the pics Cam sent were of the green mats. Anyone have any insight?

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Hybrid: *Currently Testing* :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5, 18º)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I have a green one and it has a groove. Hit a double breaker within the groove yesterday. 

• Like 3

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

38 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I have a green one and it has a groove. Hit a double breaker within the groove yesterday. 

Bummer.  Thanks for the update, though.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Took my PuttOut to the church yesterday afternoon. I wanted to see if I could make a really long perfect putt.

I had three sleeves of balls with me, and @Kirke. We began by alternating shots, and he went first, so I took 4 attempts. Then he did all nine, and I started a set of all nine. On the eighth ball, this happened:

I think my reaction is as much surprise as anything else; I went into this expecting that I probably wouldn't get a perfect on video, just because it's so challenging.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

22 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Took my PuttOut to the church yesterday afternoon. I wanted to see if I could make a really long perfect putt.

I had three sleeves of balls with me, and @Kirke. We began by alternating shots, and he went first, so I took 4 attempts. Then he did all nine, and I started a set of all nine. On the eighth ball, this happened:

I think my reaction is as much surprise as anything else; I went into this expecting that I probably wouldn't get a perfect on video, just because it's so challenging.

That's a great video and both of your reactions were priceless. That carpet looked fast and it didn't look like the ball was going to make it. Was that the Cleveland putter with the homemade shaft?

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, sirchunksalot said:

That's a great video and both of your reactions were priceless. That carpet looked fast and it didn't look like the ball was going to make it. Was that the Cleveland putter with the homemade shaft?

This one was with the Odyssey EXO Indianapolis with the homemade shaft. I like the Cleveland a lot, even more with the shaft change, but the EXO beat all comers in my putter challenge and is my go-to stick for the near future.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Got the PuttOut and practice mat for Christmas! I'll check back later when I wear the groove into the mat. Spent about 45 minutes practicing that afternoon and only missed the cup once. First time through I averaged 4-5 putts from each distance before making a perfect putt. (You guys didn't say the perfect putt was much harder from the longer ranges 😜)

• Like 2

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

Hey testers,  I currently use my putt out on just the carpet (not really good) or on my old skilz putter matt (I just set it up before the ramp to the hole on that).  Since you all seemed to run into some issued with the put out mat, is there anything you guys have tried to recommend as a better solution?

Thanks! 

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4:  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

Yeah! .. amongst many fun presents I got a Putt Out and a Putt Out mirror from my honey (already have a basic putting mat) .. looking forward to many hours of grooving my putting stroke!

Thanks testers for all the useful feedback, including about their mat.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)

Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.