xOldBenKenobiX

How would you play this shot?

Our Sponsors

Picture, you are in the fairway 15 yards from the flag, severe up hill for the first half, the green is elevated and the pin is about 4 feet above your ball, how do you play it?

My partner and I had virtually the same shot, his ball was a yard back.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png.58a8b032c47c34654826da512e96659e.png

I went with the good old Texas wedge from there, he went with his sand wedge.

He hit over the flag and double putted for a bogey.

I putted in for a couple of feet and finished with a par.

• Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

Looks flatter than described but I’ll go with the description. I’d probably do what you did, but bump and run into a hill can be very unpredictable IME, might bounce forward, might bounce high and stop short. I think a better player would go with a higher loft like your other player (my SW has too much bounce so it would be another wedge).

• Like 1

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

If the fairway is tight I'll putt.  If it's a little more shaggy I'll hit a low bump that kills into the hill. 

• Like 2

:ping-small:   :taylormade-small:   :cleveland-small:   :wilson_staff_small:   :OnCore:
'16 Taylormade M2 9.5*
Ping G Crossover 18*
Ping G Crossover 24*
Taylormade RSI2 6-PW
Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
Cleveland Zipcore 56*
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Oncore Elixr

I would have putted it from there too, that fairway is too nice not to play it safe. A little rougher and I would have had to use a SW and tried to drop in just short. I can't loft it too high anyway

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 Driver
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
4 Hybrid: :callaway-small: Epic Flash
Irons: 
:callaway-small: 3-PW Rogue 
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50, 56, 60
Putter:  :titelist-small: :cameron-small: California Fastback 35" w Red Cord Dancing SC Grip
Bag: :nike-small: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag
Ball:
:bridgestone-small: e12 soft

Still learning. Love the art of putting.

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

Looks flatter than described but I’ll go with the description. I’d probably do what you did, but bump and run into a hill can be very unpredictable IME, might bounce forward, might bounce high and stop short. I think a better player would go with a higher loft like your other player (my SW has too much bounce so it would be another wedge).

Looking at the large picture now, indeed it looks super flat, but it is a big drop, I initially had hit the green just on the fringe and rolled back down the hill.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

6 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

If the fairway is tight I'll putt.  If it's a little more shaggy I'll hit a low bump that kills into the hill. 

The fairways were absolutely beautiful that morning, they do a great job to mow all of them late in the day or very early in the morning, that was the 14th hole.

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I would have putted it from there too, that fairway is too nice not to play it safe. A little rougher and I would have had to use a SW and tried to drop in just short. I can't loft it too high anyway

This one in the 9th hole 1317602989_MicrosoftTeams-image(1).png.a880db8e9c92bca0b517a5f270983308.pngdown hill a little bit from the rough and over some sand so I had to wedge it, didn't do bad at all either.

Edited by SnakeDoc
  • Love 1

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

39 minutes ago, SnakeDoc said:

Picture, you are in the fairway 15 yards from the flag, severe up hill for the first half, the green is elevated and the pin is about 4 feet above your ball, how do you play it?

It seems once you get on the green, it’s uphill slightly to the hole? I probably would have pulled out my 60 degree and tried to chip it a little higher to land on the fringe and roll out a little bit depending on how soft/hard the greens were. Putt is probably the safest if it was a tight lie, but I’m not the best at those as I don’t practice them enough. 

Nice job getting it to a couple feet from there.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

1 hour ago, SnakeDoc said:

I initially had hit the green just on the fringe and rolled back down the hill.

Been there, done that...

• Like 1

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

1 hour ago, SnakeDoc said:

In my mind I would take my pitching wedge and try to run it close to the flag without going past, in reality I'd probably blade the wedge, chip on after that and double putt for a double, no doubt 

• Like 1

Right Handed 

:taylormade-small: SIM Max, 10.5 deg, Ventus Red 5 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Rescue 19 deg, Ventus Blue 6 reg

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 4-PW, KBS 85 reg 

:taylormade-small: ATV Grind Wedges 52, 56, 60 deg, KBS 85

Lamkin Crossline-Midsize grips on all swinging clubs 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab, Black One, 35"

:bridgestone-small: e12 soft; Tour B RX

I’d putt it, but with my hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 iron bump and run, try and hit 1 foot back from the fringe and she'll roll right up.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

For me it would depend on the distance and how firm the greens were. If the greens were soft I would probably use a 60 degree flop or a 52 degree bump and run. 99% of the courses around me do not have fairways that are Texas wedge usable so I have never added that "club" to my bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Guest Delete
4 hours ago, SnakeDoc said:

I would have chipped with an 8 or 9 iron to carry the ball into the face and bump into the green. 

If I had to use a lofted club then I would have gone with a 60 with a square face and carry about 5 feet into the green. This would be my choice if the fringe wasn't very tight or rough was present. 

If it was a back pin then it would be another story entirely. 

I would wedge it. Depending on the amount of green I had to work with would dictate which wedge. 50* , 56* or 60*.  I feel more comfortable doing that than trying to take into consideration the grain direction of the grass, dry or damp, speed to adjust for the uphill and roll out of the putt and any little obstacles or imperfections in my line.  Dam, I'm sounding like Phil M describing his chipping😂 Sorry.

• Haha 1

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

Doesnt look like a lot of space from fringe to pin.  I'd probably us my 60 and try to land it on the green before the pin.  I would find it hard to navigate the hill, curves, and minimal real estate between fringe and pin.With that being said, this is the worst part of my game but that's what I would try to do.

That's in my 60º range so a little medium height shot that lands "soft like a butterfly with sore feet."  😉

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I liked the putt option and would maybe have done the same.  I also like a 9 iron bump and run, hit it into the hill to kill it a bit and let it run up. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I liked the putt option and would maybe have done the same.  I also like a 9 iron bump and run, hit it into the hill to kill it a bit and let it run up. 

I used to do that a lot and was decent at it.  Then I got to AZ and that shot doesn't work in that Bermuda grass; ball goes nowhere when it lands.  That was when I came home and started spending a lot of time practicing with my 60. Never used my 60 much; but now it's my goto.  I have many shots that require a 60, but also I figured out how to hit lots of other shots with it too.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

I used to do that a lot and was decent at it.  Then I got to AZ and that shot doesn't work in that Bermuda grass; ball goes nowhere when it lands.  That was when I came home and started spending a lot of time practicing with my 60. Never used my 60 much; but now it's my goto.  I have many shots that require a 60, but also I figured out how to hit lots of other shots with it too.  

I don't have a 60*, just a 56 and I have been known to skull it from time to time.  If I am playing well that day, I would probably pull the 56 and chip it.  If I don't have it that day then putt or bump it.  I should look into trying a 60, the problem with the 56 from there is if I have to open the face up, depending on the firmness of the fairway, it would be easy to bounce the club and hit the ball with the leading edge. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3