2020 Official Member Review: Sub 70 699 Pro irons

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Truck stalking...

image.png

Looks like the truck was only 15 minutes away. You should have them by now!

• Like 3

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me kick things off here. First, I'm really excited about this test for reasons over and above the cool feeling of getting new clubs. Jason Hiland, the founder of @GolfSub70, has been part of my go

Well, I still can't wipe the smile off my face from being selected as a tester. What an awesome opportunity. I live up to my user name but luckily for me my wife doesn't mind. I think there is more pr

Time for a first impressions post! My irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I was at the house waiting; I wonder if UPS has a way of signaling to their drivers when someone has hit refresh on the tr

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Looks like the truck was only 15 minutes away. You should have them by now!

In terms of distance, yes. But in terms of completing all the deliveries there before moving to our area (a town over), not yet. UPS normally hits our house around 2:00pm.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In terms of distance, yes. But in terms of completing all the deliveries there before moving to our area (a town over), not yet. UPS normally hits our house around 2:00pm.

All of us to that delivery guy

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

Driver:default_taylormade-small.jpg.7261af28af5ff1c291b0cc05a9d9285e.jpg 2017 Taylormade M1 w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3w:default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpg Mizuno GT 180 15 degree w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3H: default_ping-small.jpg.55bc8955cd3f9db9084a49fa2d8186d6.jpgPing g400 19 degree w/ Alta CB 70 Stiff
4-PW: default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpgMizuno MP-63 w/ True Temper S300
Wedges: default_titelist-small.jpg.920d52649433e5fee234ad27e55c0091.jpgVokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: default_cleveland-small.jpg.2a5a328012300c4d34355e56e5490ae4.jpgCleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 1
Ball:default_srixon-small.jpg.9b0fc8a90c9d2064823de4fef895a1bf.jpg Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Obviously not the best of reports, but I have to ask (since it's often relevant to my game): how's the 699 Pro performance on punchouts? That's not a trivial part of many of our games.

They actually did OK.  Because the bounce is a little lower than the Srixons I had been playing, it actually made one of the outs on hard pan much easier.  I know it's not typically something we think to purposefully test.  When I'm out playing and have to make that shot, I'm not thinking about the review, I'm thinking about getting the ball out and mitigating further disaster.  Fortunately every time that I had to punch out, I was able to get out.

• Like 4
  • TaylorMade M5 9.0 - Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X OR PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Adams Red 18 - Matrix Altus Tour X
  • Callaway X Forged UT 19 - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS (hs 1x) --------------- FORUM TESTING /// Sub 70 Golf 699 Pro 4-P - KBS Tour X
  • Cleveland RTX 4 52/58 Mid - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Bridgestone B XS
7 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Did the truck get lost?

• Like 2

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Did the truck get lost?

Oops: been posting all afternoon on Twitter (which is easier from my phone). A couple highlights (I'll do a fuller first impressions post tomorrow):

• Like 7

8 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Oh yes they look nice!!

Golf Happy GIF - Golf Happy Excited GIFs

• Like 5

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

i wish they had the Pro's in lefty...

• Like 5

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Time for a first impressions post!

My irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I was at the house waiting; I wonder if UPS has a way of signaling to their drivers when someone has hit refresh on the tracking hundreds of times in a day, just so the driver knows he might be encountering a totally crazy person. But that aside....

Here's the unboxing video, with cameos from @Kirke and @Erik-M (and my dog, Rohan):

Erik was at the house, using my SkyTrak to gap test his new Hogan Icons for the review he's doing. He and I are planning to play this afternoon, irons only, as we compete with @edingc and @GB13 in this week's Cobra Connect Challenge.

Visually, these irons hit the sweet spot for me: clean without being boring. I think they're really a great looking design.

image.png

image.png

Size-wise: they're not tiny, though they're definitely smaller heel-to-toe than the G700s (which is what I hoped). I'll need to get a few more picture comparisons, but the top line is much more appealing than the G700s, with less offset. I was surprised that the sole is as wide as it as. That's not a complaint, but I'll be very interested to see the results on the course. Before the G700s, I played with a set of Adams XTD Tour irons, and was a small divot-taker. The G700s have made me a sweeper; I'm intrigued to see what kind of turf interaction the 699 Pros favor.

After getting the irons out of the box, I got on SkyTrak for a few swings with the PW. Sound-wise, the 699 Pros represent a significant upgrade over the G700s. Both are hollow-bodied irons, but the G700s have no filling of any sort. They have never been "tingy", but they are loud, with a significant crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more dense and muted sounding—obviously not as dense as Erik's Hogan blades, but better than my PING's. We're hoping to set up some mics to do a sound test in the near future.

I wrapped up my initial experience with the irons with a gap testing session on SkyTrak. What I saw was right in line with my expectations: each club is a bit shorter than the G700 it's replacing (the 699s are about a degree weaker on each club). I have a bag mapping report from February with my G700s; a quick side-by-side comparison (carry distances here):

image.png

On average, I'm getting about 5 yards less on each club.

The problem club, in both sets, is obviously the 5 iron. This season, I haven't been using the G700 5 iron at all: I've replaced with an Adams XTD dHy. That club has been a go to for me: a last-resort safety option off the tee when nothing else is trustworthy, and a perfect shape club for punching out of bad lies and under trees.

I am pretty confident that my 5 iron going shorter than my 6 is a bit of an aberration. It's definitely not the fault of the club. I'll be working and practicing with it. But there is certainly a chance that, at the end of testing, one of two things happen: either the Adams goes back in the bag in the 5-slot, or I look into shafting the 699 Pro 5-iron in graphite.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to getting these out on the course for the irons-only round today and a league match tomorrow night. More updates coming!

Wonder if the UPS guy did a couple extra loops around to get ready lol. I think Kirke was more excited than you were (pup looked pretty pumped too) although you had a glove ready to go and swing. Finish looks great on those, not flashy nice and subtle.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I was at the house waiting; I wonder if UPS has a way of signaling to their drivers when someone has hit refresh on the tracking hundreds of times in a day, just so the driver knows he might be encountering a totally crazy person. But that aside....

Here's the unboxing video, with cameos from @Kirke and @Erik-M (and my dog, Rohan):

Erik was at the house, using my SkyTrak to gap test his new Hogan Icons for the review he's doing. He and I are planning to play this afternoon, irons only, as we compete with @edingc and @GB13 in this week's Cobra Connect Challenge.

Visually, these irons hit the sweet spot for me: clean without being boring. I think they're really a great looking design.

image.png

image.png

Size-wise: they're not tiny, though they're definitely smaller heel-to-toe than the G700s (which is what I hoped). I'll need to get a few more picture comparisons, but the top line is much more appealing than the G700s, with less offset. I was surprised that the sole is as wide as it as. That's not a complaint, but I'll be very interested to see the results on the course. Before the G700s, I played with a set of Adams XTD Tour irons, and was a small divot-taker. The G700s have made me a sweeper; I'm intrigued to see what kind of turf interaction the 699 Pros favor.

After getting the irons out of the box, I got on SkyTrak for a few swings with the PW. Sound-wise, the 699 Pros represent a significant upgrade over the G700s. Both are hollow-bodied irons, but the G700s have no filling of any sort. They have never been "tingy", but they are loud, with a significant crack at impact. The 699 Pros are much more dense and muted sounding—obviously not as dense as Erik's Hogan blades, but better than my PING's. We're hoping to set up some mics to do a sound test in the near future.

I wrapped up my initial experience with the irons with a gap testing session on SkyTrak. What I saw was right in line with my expectations: each club is a bit shorter than the G700 it's replacing (the 699s are about a degree weaker on each club). I have a bag mapping report from February with my G700s; a quick side-by-side comparison (carry distances here):

image.png

The problem club, in both sets, is obviously the 5 iron. This season, I haven't been using the G700 5 iron at all: I've replaced with an Adams XTD dHy. That club has been a go to for me: a last-resort safety option off the tee when nothing else is trustworthy, and a perfect shape club for punching out of bad lies and under trees.

I am pretty confident that my 5 iron going shorter than my 6 is a bit of an aberration. It's definitely not the fault of the club. I'll be working and practicing with it. But there is certainly a chance that, at the end of testing, one of two things happen: either the Adams goes back in the bag in the 5-slot, or I look into shafting the 699 Pro 5-iron in graphite.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to getting these out on the course for the irons-only round today and a league match tomorrow night. More updates coming!

Rohan looks like a very good boy

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver:default_taylormade-small.jpg.7261af28af5ff1c291b0cc05a9d9285e.jpg 2017 Taylormade M1 w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3w:default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpg Mizuno GT 180 15 degree w/ Tensei CK Blue 60 S Shaft
3H: default_ping-small.jpg.55bc8955cd3f9db9084a49fa2d8186d6.jpgPing g400 19 degree w/ Alta CB 70 Stiff
4-PW: default_mizuno-small.jpg.53d0e81fbaf5c93bffca28dc6fe15a88.jpgMizuno MP-63 w/ True Temper S300
Wedges: default_titelist-small.jpg.920d52649433e5fee234ad27e55c0091.jpgVokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: default_cleveland-small.jpg.2a5a328012300c4d34355e56e5490ae4.jpgCleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 1
Ball:default_srixon-small.jpg.9b0fc8a90c9d2064823de4fef895a1bf.jpg Srixon Z-Star

8 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Great video @GolfSpy MPR! Those irons look sweet and from your Twitter video, sound pretty good. It looks like both Kirke and Rohan were excited to see what was in the box. Also, at the end of the video I saw @Erik-M eyeballing them with a gleam in his eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Rohan looks like a very good boy

Almost: she's a very good girl! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great video @GolfSpy MPR! Those irons look sweet and from your Twitter video, sound pretty good. It looks like both Kirke and Rohan were excited to see what was in the box. Also, at the end of the video I saw @Erik-M eyeballing them with a gleam in his eyes. 

You're not wrong, they are the second best looking clubs I've seen in a while! You might be able to guess what the first are!

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Erik-M said:

You're not wrong, they are the second best looking clubs I've seen in a while! You might be able to guess what the first are!

Starts with a B rhymes with logan ?

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

5 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Yeah, those Hogan's are just gorgeous. I watched the Rick Shiels video on them last night and drooled just a little. 

• Like 3

Yeah I might be tipping my hand here, but they are not coming outta my bag, that's for sure! Already looking for a buyer for my ap2s!! lol!

• Like 5

I can't say I blame you, they seem to be performing well for you, besides just looking like bladed goodness. 

What kind of bag is that? It's a different color combination than I've ever seen. Pretty cool looking!

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Almost: she's a very good girl! 🙂

My apologies! The best girl!

• Like 4