Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Which PGA Tour golfer would be best UFC fighter?

Tarheelvolvo

Recent article from Golf.com considered the idea of the Rahminator being the best UFC style fighter on the PGA tour - or so says his workout buddy. So what do you guys think? Would Rahm easily dominate or would someone else crush the competition? 

https://golf.com/news/jon-rahm-training-habits-ufc-fighter/

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

15 hours ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Recent article from Golf.com considered the idea of the Rahminator being the best UFC style fighter on the PGA tour - or so says his workout buddy. So what do you guys think? Would Rahm easily dominate or would someone else crush the competition? 

https://golf.com/news/jon-rahm-training-habits-ufc-fighter/

Well, as a big MMA fan, I'll play along. Jon would likely fight at Light Heavyweight, being 15 pounds over the 205 pound limit and not being a physical freak who wouldn't put on the additional weight to get to the high end of the Heavyweight division that tops out at 265, so cut the weight and rehydrate after the cut. He's also 6'2", which is actually about the average height for a UFC signed LHW fighter, with current champion Glover Texieria being 6'2".

The quest then becomes, who else on tour would have a similar enough build to challenge Jon, because it's obviously not an openweight event, unless it is, then it would be crazy. I think you're looking at a DJ or Koepka type, but I'm still taking Jon in that fight. Perhaps the guy who would give Jon the best fight might be Shane Lowry. Similar size and you just know being from Ireland he was probably in his share of dust ups.

Interesting note, Esteban Toldeo would be my pick, considering he was a pro boxer before getting appendicitis, going 16-1 in his career in Mexico 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I'll throw a dollar on the ball of rage that is Tyrrell Hatton.  Hatton is listed as 5'9" 161, but I suspect he's got a little more weight on him than that.  He could cut down to lightweight at 155 and do some damage if he could harness that anger.

Tiger Woods 15-20 years ago would also make a strong case.  Not saying he trained like a real Navy Seal but some of the stuff he went through would definitely give him a leg up on the average PGA pro.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

59 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

I'll throw a dollar on the ball of rage that is Tyrrell Hatton.  Hatton is listed as 5'9" 161, but I suspect he's got a little more weight on him than that.  He could cut down to lightweight at 155 and do some damage if he could harness that anger.

Tiger Woods 15-20 years ago would also make a strong case.  Not saying he trained like a real Navy Seal but some of the stuff he went through would definitely give him a leg up on the average PGA pro.

Only thing I think working against Tyrrell is he would be prone to getting Aldo'd. Dude would be way too emotional and lose the fight plan like right away. Cuts like a double edge sword.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

6 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, as a big MMA fan, I'll play along. Jon would likely fight at Light Heavyweight, being 15 pounds over the 205 pound limit and not being a physical freak who wouldn't put on the additional weight to get to the high end of the Heavyweight division that tops out at 265, so cut the weight and rehydrate after the cut. He's also 6'2", which is actually about the average height for a UFC signed LHW fighter, with current champion Glover Texieria being 6'2".

The quest then becomes, who else on tour would have a similar enough build to challenge Jon, because it's obviously not an openweight event, unless it is, then it would be crazy. I think you're looking at a DJ or Koepka type, but I'm still taking Jon in that fight. Perhaps the guy who would give Jon the best fight might be Shane Lowry. Similar size and you just know being from Ireland he was probably in his share of dust ups.

Interesting note, Esteban Toldeo would be my pick, considering he was a pro boxer before getting appendicitis, going 16-1 in his career in Mexico 

Haha, Lowery would certainly be fun to watch! 

I think DJ could throw some nasty elbows on opponents - his quiet demeanor is hiding a hardened competitive spirit that would come raging out after the first blow landed on him. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Finau. At 6’ 4” 200 lbs and at a middleweight or light heavyweight I think he would be a force that tall with insane reach. 

Harman is also interesting guy is fit and seems like he has a major angry side which is dangerous.

I trained back in the day with Pat Miletich’s nephew in the navy. That was a blast and he was a wealth of information and an awesome teacher.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Will Zallitoris .... he's lanky, but he's mean! 😄 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Stranahan if we could go old school. Otherwise Graham Deleat sort of has the look and he has a hockey background so has to have been in a few fights.

Obligatory Bryson mention. Surprised it took this long. Yes he gives off rich, never been in a fight, frat boy vibes, but I'm sure he has highest best bench and curl on the tour and that has to be worth something. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 7 months later...

All people think that if you have physical data, you can beat everyone in the octagon, but this is not the case. In the heavyweight category, everyone there has excellent physical data. However, the competition there is very high. You still need to have an ideal boxing technique and generally have a high level in MMA, so it's funny to read such articles, to be honest, that someone from the PGA Tour will be able to compete in the UFC. I also became interested in MMA once and purchased mma home gym equipment. When I was able to save money, I did it, but I understood that at the age of 25, I would not be able to compete.

Edited by Eartpukaem

I'm going with Finau. Tall, long reach and altho seems super nice i think could make some great take downs. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

There’s only one that actually looks like a UFC fighter. So He’s my pick: Beef.

image.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 4/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, Bucky CC said:

Figured I'd scroll a minute... took less than 10 seconds to find my answer had already been contributed. So here it is again...

** Random days warrior. Walk the course. Play a minimum of 4 rounds per year w/o keeping score. Love the outdoors no matter the weather. **

• Calaway Epic Speed 1w, 4w
  • Maltby DBM forged irons 4-PW & TSW DRM 50, 56
  • Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled No.4 Putter
  • KBS and Project X
  • Lamkin Crossline+ and Skinny Pistol grips
  • Maxfli Tour, Vice Pro, Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

There’s only one that actually looks like a UFC fighter. So He’s my pick: Beef.

image.jpeg

... I think Beef and Harry Higgs would fare better in a Sumo Wrestling match. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Absolutely none of them. They would all get destroyed in training. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m not so sure that Gary Woodland would “get destroyed” in MMA training. He’s my choice for the golfer who would do best as a UFC fighter.

One thing that I know for sure is that Woodland is the guy, maybe along with Brooks Koepka, that I wouldn’t want to f*CK with.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

35 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I’m not so sure that Gary Woodland would “get destroyed” in MMA training. He’s my choice for the golfer who would do best as a UFC fighter.

One thing that I know for sure is that Woodland is the guy, maybe along with Brooks Koepka, that I wouldn’t want to f*CK with.

Size has zero to do with anything. He would get tapped by pretty much anyone in an mma gym on a regular basis including by guys lighter than him. 

I train with a guy who does mma. He’s 230ish lbs and gets beat by smaller guys all the time, it happens less the more he improves 

One of my female friends who weighs 147lbs and is 5’4” on a good day taps guys all the time in training 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Size has zero to do with anything. He would get tapped by pretty much anyone in an mma gym on a regular basis including by guys lighter than him. 

I train with a guy who does mma. He’s 230ish lbs and gets beat by smaller guys all the time, it happens less the more he improves 

One of my female friends who weighs 147lbs and is 5’4” on a good day taps guys all the time in training 

I didn't say anything about size having anything to do with any of this.

By the way, I know a lot about MMA. My son, now 52 years old, competed in MMA events (small purses, up to about $25K). He trained as part of Team Gracie. Also, my son's best friend is Anthony Brock (if you follow MMA, I'm sure you know who that is).  

Oh, and my son is 6'1"+ and weighs 215 lbs, but I have seen guys (not too many, but a few) who are 5'-9" and 165 lbs who can take him down.  However, when it comes to grappling/mat work and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there aren't a lot of guys that I would give much of a chance against my son.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would argue that they could train but destroyed in the ring.
I’m sure plenty can fight if they put their mind to it

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

This thread immediately made me realize that winter has settled in over a good portion of the country 😊.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This thread immediately made me realize that winter has settled in over a good portion of the country 😊.  

It’s a long lonely road when that cold settles in 🥶

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Just now, Lacassem said:

It’s a long lonely road when that cold settles in 🥶

We only spent the first winter in Montana to know that we didn't want to spend winters in Montana.  Yesterday, my former Fire chief emailed me a picture of 5' snow drifts on the road in front of our place... I emailed him back a picture of Cimarron's #14 fairway 😆.  Payback comes in mid July through August 😱.

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

We only spent the first winter in Montana to know that we didn't want to spend winters in Montana.  Yesterday, my former Fire chief emailed me a picture of 5' snow drifts on the road in front of our place... I emailed him back a picture of Cimarron's #14 fairway 😆.  Payback comes in mid July through August 😱.

That sounds like one way to lose a friend!

we have been EXTREMELY lucky with mild temps so far. Could have golfed today but had some things going on (60 degrees and sunny). I am really hoping Mother Nature doesn’t knock us down in January and February but I’m not optimistic. I will not call it by it’s name but we have had no white stuff falling from the sky yet.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Tommy Two-Gloves Gainey.  Not only does he have the cool name but the dude is a serious predator.

... I'll see myself out the door.

Just now, Lacassem said:

That sounds like one way to lose a friend!

we have been EXTREMELY lucky with mild temps so far. Could have golfed today but had some things going on (60 degrees and sunny). I am really hoping Mother Nature doesn’t knock us down in January and February but I’m not optimistic. I will not call it by it’s name but we have had no white stuff falling from the sky yet.

... Strange times indeed but glad you guys are the beneficiaries. Entire East coast is well above averages and west coast well below averages. We have been below here for several months and November we never even reached the average temp! December is supposed to be 65 and next week it will be in the low 50's the entire time. After being oven roasted all summer, low 50's is just crazy cold. 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Strange times indeed but glad you guys are the beneficiaries. Entire East coast is well above averages and west coast well below averages. We have been below here for several months and November we never even reached the average temp! December is supposed to be 65 and next week it will be in the low 50's the entire time. After being oven roasted all summer, low 50's is just crazy cold. 

I mean I’ll take the east coast climate change if it turns into a Carolina type season! Won’t need to move down the road!

courses have stayed open which is wild to see, grass is still very green just no leaves on the trees!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

I didn't say anything about size having anything to do with any of this.

By the way, I know a lot about MMA. My son, now 52 years old, competed in MMA events (small purses, up to about $25K). He trained as part of Team Gracie. Also, my son's best friend is Anthony Brock (if you follow MMA, I'm sure you know who that is).  

Oh, and my son is 6'1"+ and weighs 215 lbs, but I have seen guys (not too many, but a few) who are 5'-9" and 165 lbs who can take him down.  However, when it comes to grappling/mat work and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there aren't a lot of guys that I would give much of a chance against my son.

The only think that woodland and koepka would have is size and maybe some strength. There’s literally nothing about them other than that to indicate they can even fight. So with all your experience you know that those two are getting tapped easily in the gym on a repeated basis by just about everyone in the gym an md probably get knocked out if they tried to brawl.

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

I would argue that they could train but destroyed in the ring.
I’m sure plenty can fight if they put their mind to it

What even makes you think they could fight? Most people can’t fight and like Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The only think that woodland and koepka would have is size and maybe some strength. There’s literally nothing about them other than that to indicate they can even fight. So with all your experience you know that those two are getting tapped easily in the gym on a repeated basis by just about everyone in the gym an md probably get knocked out if they tried to brawl.

What even makes you think they could fight? Most people can’t fight and like Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

I mean you said they would fail training, I think they could train for the most part but not many if any could handle the mat. 
although this thread is really just about guesstimating and coming up with dialogue as to why maybe some of them could.

A lot can’t take a punch in the mouth but there is Definitely a few that could just based on how many people there are playing golf….just like a bar, guarantee there is always at least 1 person ya probably don’t want to throw down with

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

just like a bar, guarantee there is always at least 1 person ya probably don’t want to throw down with

... 1 person?!? My face is my job so for me it would be all of them. And that includes waitresses! 🤪

48 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You clearly do not know Gary Woodland; I do!  And he is not that big, but he trains like a MF and behind that quiet, "aw shucks" exterior is a man who could do some serious damage.

Spoiler