Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for advice

Hello everyone, I just joined to ask this question.

I am 34 years old an am looking to get back into golf. I used to play everyday in 2006, in high school, and alot when i went to college. I am looking to get back into golf and still have the beginner set that my parents bought me from walmart back in 2006. I am wanting to get some new clubs but unsure what to do. I have been looking at some 2nd hand sports shops and some facebook sale groups, and also some of the new full sets available online and in the stores.

Since i have only played maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years or so, should i keep what i have, should i buy a new beginner set, or should i look for getting a good set of irons that are used, and just try to build up. I have 2 young kids and a new born so not alot of money to spend looking to keep it under about $300.

At one of the 2nd hand stores they have a used set of Ping i3 Oversize orange dots. but since i havent played in so long i dont know if orange dot would be what i need or not. Just looking for some help please!

IMO, I’d get back into the game and make sure you are able to dedicate the time you want to playing before buying new clubs.  The clubs from 2006 are probably a little dated and may hinder you effectiveness but if you only end up playing a couple times a month and only through the summer it may not be worth the $300 investment.  If you start playing once a week and still want to play even more then look into new clubs.
No one here can tell you if the orange dot Pings are the right fit as we know nothing about your swing.  Your best option is to go to golf shops that sell used and see what works and then seek out something similar.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

ebay is another option for finding a decent used set of clubs. Like cnosil said above, go hit some used clubs in the simulators at a local shop. Figure out what works for you and then looks for the best deal. That might very well be online on ebay or even 2ndSwing.

I went thru a similar thing last summer when i started playing again. Had a bag full of early 2000s clubs. Since then, I have gone a bit nuts, as you can see from my clubs listed below, lol. I've bought clubs from both ebay and 2ndSwing and haven't had a bad experience with either yet.

Just make sure anything you get from ebay is from a seller with a good history.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

a couple of the better sites for finding some good stuff at the price you are looking for (sub $300 for an set of irons).

Callaway Preowned

2nd Swing

you get get a good set of irons from 3-4 years ago in that price range, and would have minimal differences from todays version.

Sub 70 golf is a newer direct to customer brand that makes good stuff, you can find all kinds of reviews on here showing its good. They sell lightly used preowned clubs for a really good price. $350 gets you a basically new set of current irons from them on their pre-owned site.

Great that you are getting back to golf, enjoy it!

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I was like you almost 10 years ago. I couldn’t play a lot because of family stuff. I had an old set of clubs and not a huge budget to replace everything once I had more time to play. I hit the irons and wedges pretty well so I worked on upgrading the driver, woods and hybrid. I replaced those clubs pretty inexpensively through eBay. I did the same the next year with irons and wedges. Before you buy anything I would take the time hit some different clubs and try and find out what shaft flex works best for you since a fitting may be out of your budget at this time. Enjoy the search.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft