Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tell Us Your Best Golf Story

GolfSpy SAM

6 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

I hit a good drive and then a 1 iron ...

Ummm.. what's a "1 iron"...? 😝

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... So no. Not going to Pinehurst and the guys going should thank me! 

I dunno. I can't really play in the mornings 'cuz I need a *LOTTA* time to stretch and roll and loosen up!

That said ... Saturday morning of the Maryland outing I was +2 for the first 6 holes which is a completely abnormal, out of body experience for me ... and we won't talk about the rest of the day, nor the next 😝🤣

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I know you are joking, but I would suggest this one.

image.png.934557b549b62a8d8658e85528c1669c.png

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Newton's Third Law: when my LA acting friend and I went to Riviera to watch a practice round in the late 90's. Nick was a huge Nicklaus fan and we found him and followed him for a few holes. He hit his patented fade that started right and went more right so we got right next to his ball in the eucalyptus trees. Jack had 2 body guards on either side of him that moved us back and after hitting it back into the fairway my friend Nick, eager to just have an exchange with his idol said "How do you like the course Jack?" and Nicklaus about 5 steps in front of us turned and said "What a stupid question"  shaking his head he walked off. Couple fans laughed and needless to say Jack lost a fan for life. 

... I figured Jack was just in a bad mood, maybe because of the poor drive but he could have just kept walking without comment or said someone like "I always enjoy Riveira". 

Four or five years ago I had the pleasure, as a single, to join a group of three guys in their 80's. One of them is a legendary local club pro (co-founder of PCS, senior rules official, ran the clubmaking shop at the Masters for a long time (no tour vans allowed there)). He spent a lot of majors (esp. PGA) as a rules official. All round, as he's telling me awesome stories, his friends would troll him, "Tell him about Jack." His response, every time, was "F*** Jack Nicklaus!" When he did finally say something more about Jack, he said he was the most demanding, petty, sour dispostion guy around, and would often bully officials into bending rules to his benefit.

On a more positive note, he was the guy who built Matt Kuchar's first arm lock putter. He said it took two years to get it dialed in to where Kuchar was happy.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

58 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

The "Vas"? Lol. Once again, three Snip'd Thread crosses over...

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I was on a golfing trip in CA, and I believe this particular round was at LaQuinta.  On a par 3 over water, my ball hits the bank and rolls back in the water. One of my playing partners, Jim, dunked his tee shot.  I reload, and this next shot hits the stick and end up within 6" from the cup for a tap in 4.  Jim re-tees and knocks his shot in the cup for a hole-in-three.  So much for MY post round story.

On a different trip a few years later, my 4some is playing a 6 point Scotch game. My partner make an ace. I get up and down for par. Jim, the same Jim, makes a 20' putt for birdie while getting a stroke.  His partner makes par, so instead of a "certain" umbrella, we get one point for proxy, AND Jim steals a skin that everyone on the trip is playing.

In 2010, the same group is on a golf trip at World Wood in FL where I get my first hole-in-one on their most photographed/picturesque hole!  Guess who's in my 4some? Yep, the same Jim who drains a 30 footer for birdie stealing my skin because he's getting a shot, and my team again ends up with one point for proxy.

Damn you, Jim!  🙂

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Story one----

Playing at my local course (when I was 30 years younger and a better golfer) and just teed off on the 9th hole when lighting alarms went off and I sat in the club house for the better part of an hour thru a torrential downpour. Most of the golfers had left as there was standing water everywhere, but I was 2 under and not about to abandon my best round to date. Received the 'all clear' and managed to hit my second shot on 9 before the alarms went off again. This time I waited (all by myself) for 90 minutes to get back on the course. After informing my wife I wouldn't be home until I finished 18 regardless of how long it took. I finished with a 3 over score in 7 1/2 hours but couldn't enter my score because as the ball floated over the hole on five of the greens, I counted it as going in.     

Story two----

I play with a personable group of guys of varied skill levels. I was partnered with one of the better players on a rainy day when from a perfect lie he hit the fattest 5 wood and dug a divot so deep that to this day a family of ducks has claimed it as their personal pond. I looked at him and asked if he knew what that was. His response of course was no. That my friend is the reason why Pickle Ball is the fastest growing sport in the country.

If you can't laugh .....

On 1/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, GaDawg said:

Corey Pavin used the VAS irons to win the 1995 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills.

Pavin-Irons-847-Getty.jpeg.96aedc99152602c1883cdd553a83a566.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 1/30/2023 at 6:28 PM, cksurfdude said:

I'll have to bring my King Cobra one iron to Pinehurst and watch you try to hit it on the range.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I played in a corporate event (conference) where they paired everyone up to make scramble teams that were somewhat fair based on handicaps etc... at the time I was an 8 or 10 index and I was paired with a guy named Dick who was also an 8 or less and was a lefty. Then we had 2 guys who were high handicappers 20+. One guy had the loudest colored outfit I had seen in awhile. Loudmouth pants and matching shirt and glove etc... As we made our way around, it was mainly myself an Dick carrying the team with a couple of putts being made by the high handicappers. Typical scramble until we reached a short par 4 and the 2 lesser skilled players had severely missed the green on either side. I had hit it right of the pin about 8 feet away and Dick had done the same thing on the left side of the pin. The green tilted back to front and my right to left breaking putt was the one I was suggesting we take since 3 of us were right handed and would prefer that putt. Dick wanted the left to right and said it was slightly closer but I protested that it was only inches closer and we would have 3 good chances with mine rather than only 1 or 2 with his. He suggested we ask the other 2 players their opinions. They were roughly 20-30 yards off the green looking for their balls, so I shouted which one of these do you guys want to take? The loudmouth pants guy yells back "which one is which?" I said that mine was right to left but Dick was slightly closer. He yells back "Personally I like Dicks!!" Just then the other guy standing near him yells "Yeah we all can see that, but lets just try to focus and pick a putt!". To which people from 4 different greens and tee boxes all started roaring with laughter.

Thankfully, he was a good sport because after it was over, people came up to him and he just laughed along with everyone when they told him how funny it was. 

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

On 2/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, Kenny B said:

Corey Pavin used the VAS irons to win the 1995 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills.

Pavin-Irons-847-Getty.jpeg.96aedc99152602c1883cdd553a83a566.jpeg

Or.... was it that macho mustachio that intimidated the rest of the field... 😝

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 1/26/2023 at 1:58 PM, JohnSmalls said:

Calling @BIG STU.  This thread is made for you.

OK late to the party. I had to really scan the old gray matter to come up with one I never had told before. I think I got it

Many years ago we used to come down from Charlotte and a big bunch of us used to play some big money Calcuttas and side matches. 3 to 4 days of gambling and drinking. Now this was at the old Seagull Course now revamped and called Founders Club nowdays. There is also a motel right beside it. We would bring down anywhere from 40 to 60 players along with girlfriends and in some cases wives. We also had our share of bet sweaters who did not even play golf just ride around and bet. The whole thing was a big deal they gave us reduced room rates and always had a big spread at lunch. At night they rented like 3 courtesy vans and took us to eat where ever we wanted to go.

Like I said this was big money and it was not unusual to have guys running around with 40 or 50K in their pockets and golf bags. Now recently some gamblers had been robbed at gun point on a course in Charlotte. Needless to say everyone was packing heat of some kind.

Now the course has been redone some 15 years ago now. But some of the old course still remains sort of. Hole 15 is a dog leg left Par 4. On the left there is a huge waste area with an old water oak right in the middle. That basic outline is still there today.

We were playing at it full bore. Our group was on 14. All of a sudden it was Boom Boom Boom. Oh crap someone is being robbed. We all raced to the sound guns drawn. I guess it must have been a scene from the wild west golf carts racing guns drawn. Got to 15 and one of the bookie bet sweaters was looking sheeplishly smoking 38 on his lap. The bet swetters were in the shade of that big water oak since it was July. He hated snakes. He had looked up and saw a big snake and instinctly opened up on him. Yeah he hit him and if not for the top on the cart it would have landed in his lap. His riding partner was another story. He was a Nam vet and had bailed combat prone position in the sand. He was sweating of course and was covered with sand. Everyone got a big laugh and the pair headed off to the motel the one guy to shower and the shooter I suspect to change pants. And no the law was not involved because in those days we were in the middle of no where and in Georgetown County no one gave 2 rips. The Pro did ride out equipped with his own shooting piece and asked what happened? He was told laughed and went back to the club house. The culprits appeared at 18 freshly changed and showered.

Even today everytime I come to that hole I remember and laugh and the old water oak is still there along with the limb. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, BIG STU said:

OK late to the party. I had to really scan the old gray matter to come up with one I never had told before. I think I got it

Oh yeah .. gonna be real hard for anyone else to top that one! 

GREAT story!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh yeah .. gonna be real hard for anyone else to top that one! 

GREAT story!!

Thanks man but it is the truth---- Since my accident where I suffered a concussion along with the broken back and shoulder my memory is not what it used to be as in it comes and goes. My wife seriously swears I hit my head harder than the Docs think. And I will admit that I am getting older too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, BIG STU said:

Many years ago we used to come down from Charlotte and a big bunch of us used to play some big money Calcuttas and side matches. 3 to 4 days of gambling and drinking. Now this was at the old Seagull Course now revamped and called Founders Club nowdays. There is also a motel right beside it. We would bring down anywhere from 40 to 60 players along with girlfriends and in some cases wives. We also had our share of bet sweaters who did not even play golf just ride around and bet. The whole thing was a big deal they gave us reduced room rates and always had a big spread at lunch. At night they rented like 3 courtesy vans and took us to eat where ever we wanted to go.

Like I said this was big money and it was not unusual to have guys running around with 40 or 50K in their pockets and golf bags. Now recently some gamblers had been robbed at gun point on a course in Charlotte. Needless to say everyone was packing heat of some kind.

Now the course has been redone some 15 years ago now. But some of the old course still remains sort of. Hole 15 is a dog leg left Par 4. On the left there is a huge waste area with an old water oak right in the middle. That basic outline is still there today.

We were playing at it full bore. Our group was on 14. All of a sudden it was Boom Boom Boom. Oh crap someone is being robbed. We all raced to the sound guns drawn. I guess it must have been a scene from the wild west golf carts racing guns drawn. Got to 15 and one of the bookie bet sweaters was looking sheeplishly smoking 38 on his lap. The bet swetters were in the shade of that big water oak since it was July. He hated snakes. He had looked up and saw a big snake and instinctly opened up on him. Yeah he hit him and if not for the top on the cart it would have landed in his lap. His riding partner was another story. He was a Nam vet and had bailed combat prone position in the sand. He was sweating of course and was covered with sand. Everyone got a big laugh and the pair headed off to the motel the one guy to shower and the shooter I suspect to change pants. And no the law was not involved because in those days we were in the middle of no where and in Georgetown County no one gave 2 rips. The Pro did ride out equipped with his own shooting piece and asked what happened? He was told laughed and went back to the club house. The culprits appeared at 18 freshly changed and showered.

Even today everytime I come to that hole I remember and laugh and the old water oak is still there along with the limb. 

I've heard some legendary Stu-stories but this one might just top them all

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

In May of 2021 I was playing a practice round for the Colorado Golf Association Senior Fourball tournament at Thorncreek Golf Club in Thornton, CO. I was playing with my partner, David, and two buddies, John and Robin, who were also in the event. (They won it that year.) We were not playing a game, just practicing, until we got to the 150 yard seventeenth hole. David stepped onto the tee and proposed "$100 for a make." No one objected. John hit first--hole-in-one! Robin hit next--hole-in-one #2! Two swings, two aces. I reached for my wallet to pay but Robin said "nope, one tie, all tie, it would just taint the accomplishment."

I hit third thinking that in recorded golf history there may never have been three consecutive aces, but I missed the damn green!

A high school senior it was the first time of twenty years caddying at the Crobsy soon to become the AT&T in 1977.  Back in the day you could park near the 6th Tee box at Pebble Beach.  The fourteenth green came back very close to that parking area. So on practice rd Tues about 4 pm I teed off on 6th and was going to play till I reached 14.  On the eighth fairway the Superintendent drove over to me said if I wasn't so busy I run you off.  He let me continue to play until 14, promising not to sneak on again! Since then I have played both Cypress Point and Pebble Beach.  Except for 15,16, & 17 at Cypress, Pebble Beach is a better course.  That being said, 16th hole at Cypress Point is the greatest golf hole ever!

Frederick M Stamey

2021 AR State Am Champion, super senior div (age 65).  Winter index 2.6 Summer usually -1.1. Won 14 times as a professional, mini tour events, medalist Australian Tour qualifier 1985.  Monday qualified for Nike Boise Open event in 1997. Medalist US Open local qualifier, 1997,1998.

LOL the brain is working this AM so here is another one

Many Many Moons ago they were holding a big Shriners Tournament in Pine Valley NC. Now to make this note I support anything the Shriners do. A bud of mine was from the area and wanted to put together a ringer team. There was no Calcutta or anything like that. So yeah since it was for the Shriners I was dead on it. We had a decent team and it was a Captains Choice. Now my bud who put the team together was kinda a sketchy ruffian to say the least but his Dad was a prominent MD in the area. We had a pretty decent team with him and the former super there who could play. I drug one of my Mini Tour buds / cronies up there. Now this being a small town and area it drew annual attention. Somehow we got first tee time Hooray back in those days I drank so more after round drinking time for me. My Mini Tour bud and I decided not to do any bets along with the super. So everyone in town was by the first tee and Bobby ( the docs son) insisted on teeing off first. He took a mighty swing at the ball and his pants fell down around his knees. Funny thing he was going all commando so the big white moon was shining in full. Man we cracked up everyone laughed for 5 minutes. Needless to say his Dad was embarassed. Sid the super was next up after the laughter died down and he got his composure. He was getting ready to hit and someone yelled check your belt and pants. He hit the ball anyhow and smoked it straight down the middle. Now he was a bear of a man he turned around and growled my belt is ok and I do not go commando. Everyone rolled again. I swear it took a full 20 minutes for us to tee off the first tee. Now this was a small tight golf course and all during the day you could hear someone sing in a good Frankie Vallie voice "there is a moon out tonight oooh oooh". Like I said we did not have one dime bet and it is one of the few rounds ever I drank myself around a course. I do not know to this day what we shot none of us remember. Only thing I do remember is I slept in the parking lot that night in the front seat of my Vette. Note my mini tour partner and I had agreed pre round that if we won anything that us technically being pros we would donate it back to the Shriners to auction off. Probably will never know because Sid and Bobby are gone now and my bud the Mini player I have not heard from in like 20 years now. I heard he had a club pro job in the Midwest somewhere

G

My favorite story has to do with competition. Not a funny story but something I look back on very fondly and will never forget.

It's 1990. I'm 17 and I make it to the semifinals of the Club Championship. I am a HUGE underdog to one of the best players at the Club who had won the CC  before. Long story short, I play well and I catch him on a bad day. By the time we get to the back nine, word gets back to the clubhouse that I'm winning. When we get to 16 green all of a sudden there's a ring of people around the green watching. I was never so nervous in my life! He wins 17 to go 1 down, but I end up hitting a super-clutch 5-iron into the last green to seal the win. He shakes my hand, gets in his car, and burns rubber out of the parking lot. When I go into the clubhouse everyone pats me on the back and congratulates me. Turns out he was in the bar the night before telling everyone how he was going to kick my ass, so they all loved it that I managed to pull the upset. Of course in the final the next day I was emotionally spent and I laid an egg, but that's ok haha...I'll always remember that day.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik w/VA Composites Drago 55

3-Wood: Callaway Epic w/VA Composites Drago 65

3-4 Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha (off the rack...gasp)

Irons 5-P: Sub-70 659 CB w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Wedges: Sub-70 286 50,54, Vokey 58 12.D, all with w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Putter: Odyssey Rossie OG

Ok, I'll join the fun;

In high school my best friend Ed and I looked forward to Summer vacation when we could get up early on a weekday and go play golf without all the weekend golf traffic. Arriving before sunrise so we would be the first ones out meant that we could easily get in 36 holes.  We lived in northwestern Pennsylvania, played a golf course out in the farmland, and in the Summer the mornings where we played were often foggy and peaceful. This particular morning was especially beautiful.
The first tee was adjacent to a pond and it was deathly silent as Ed stepped up to his first swing of the day. The rising sun was just beginning to highlight the tree tops and the fog on the water.  As he made a waggle or two I heard the faintest whisper of a sound over my shoulder. I turned to my right just in time to see a flock of Canada Geese about 10 feet off the ground headed straight for our tee box, and the pond on the other side.

Completely oblivious to the birds, Ed began his takeaway as the flock approached.  One goose in the formation was about 8 feet from Ed’s ear, and in mid-backswing it turned its head toward him and let loose the loudest ‘HONK!” you’ve ever heard. Needless to say he did not complete his swing, instead, his whole body stiffened and spasmed like he’d had an electric shock, and stiff as a board he danced around in a circle on his heels. It was 'fall on the ground and laugh until you nearly pass out’ funny(for me anyway!) and it messed both of us up for the rest of the day. To this day, 45 years later, it is a laugh out loud funny memory.

PXG Proto X+
TaylorMade M1 3W and 5 wood.
PXG Gen 2 irons
Bettanardi 'Baby Ben' long shafted putter

We were sizing up our putts on a green when suddenly a neighboring tee box shanks one right in our direction. We look over to see the guy give us a “sorry” wave and re-tee on his elevated tee box that’s fronted by a retainer wall that has juuust a bit of a lip on the top of it. Watching him tee off this time for safety reasons, he tops it straight into the retainer wall lip and ricochet rockets back at him right in the nads. He collapses hand in groin. A hysterical “crotch karma” if you will. He didn’t tee up for a third try. 

For years I was the worst player out of the sand in the world. (Normally took two shots to get out).  At that time I lived on Marco Island Florida and belonged to Marco Island County Club.  One day I decided to see if I could get out of the sand in one try.  I dropped six balls in the sand and hit the first about a foot from the hole. The next went about two feet away, and the third almost holed out.  I stepped back to see if I could figure out what I was doing that worked and noticed someone standing behind me watching.  It was Gene Sarazen. Needless to say I never hit any of the balls I had left and until he died Gene Sarazen thought I was the best out of the sand he ever saw.

True story!

I was 15 years old, just learning to play.  My buddy and I had a junior membership at the 9-hole Wamego Country Club ($36 annual dues).  On days neither of us worked, we would tee off on #1 as the sun came up and play as many holes as we could get in.  One fine afternoon, we were standing on the tee of #7, a short par 3 just to the left of the #8 tee box.  A guy playing alone was teeing off on #8 with his cart parked nearby.  I hit a tee shot, pulled and heading towards this guy.  We holler "fore" and a few seconds later, my ball hits the side of his cart.  The guy falls forward, flat on his stomach on the tee box.  We drop our clubs and go running there, thinking the whole way I had somehow killed this guy with my errant shot.  As we get there out of breath, he starts to stand up, dusting himself off, and laughing.  Trying to catch our breath, we ask him if he is okay.  He says yes and tells us that he lived just off the course and played there often.  The course had been having problems with ground squirrels and so he had brought his thirty-ought shotgun to take out any of the critters he saw.  When my ball hit the side of his cart, he thought the bang was his shotgun going off.  Needless to say, that was the last round of the day for us. 

I believe it was 1990 and I was around 32 years old, in the Navy,  and had been golfing for maybe 6 months. I was stationed at Seal Beach and the Navy destroyer course in Cypress was my home course. It was a weekend and I was playing with a friend from Australia I was in a military school with. This course had a number of shared tee boxes and as we came up to one of the boxes on the back nine, there was a young kid hitting of the tee box going in the other direction. At the end of the tee box there was a  drop off of about 3 feet, where a camera man set up with a very large telephoto lens was taking pictures of this kid bombing shots. We watched him hit a few fades, then the camera man asked him to hit some draws. He was absolutely crushing the ball. This kid impressed the hell out of us and we couldn't help but  wonder who he was.

After we finished up, we went into the club house and asked about the skinny kid knocking the crap out of the ball. We were told that he was Tiger Woods, and that it was his 1st Golf Digest (not 100% on the magazine) photo shoot. Of course, we knew of Tiger, but didn't put things together. I believe he was probably 15-16 at the time. A few years later, having gotten out of the Navy and moved to the pacific northwest, I was fortunate enough to be able to watch him play at Pumpkin Ridge, winning his 3rd US Amateur in a row, and then turning pro a week later. It's pretty cool to be able to say that I teed off with Tiger hitting off the tee box at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of a story but after reading a few recent posts in "What'd You Practice?" happened to recall two times at the range during my first season trying to hit golf balls....

1. First few times at the range no kidding I needed the driver to get the ball to the 50 yard marker.....

..I'm plugging away when I hear this *CRAACK!* from towards the other end .. sounded like I was standing right next to Hank Aaron or Mickey Mantle smack another one way outta the park!

..Look over and there's a tall and let's say "stout" gent .. I say that 'cuz for reference I'm short and scrawny .. he's turned downrange watching his ball .. standing there watching his ball .. for jeez what seemed like a full minute..!

So I figure well unless I can grow another half foot and gain 70 pounds I'm not gonna be a long ball hitter!

2. Same range, another day...

..hear a solid crack from another stall .. it's not my large friend this time but kinda the polar opposite...

..this time it's a short, slender, young female pounding her driver and sending the range balls -all- the way to the freakin far end of the very freakin long (275 to 300?) field...

So this time I learned that size doesn't matter - wait no that's not right it still does bigger is always better 😝 - ha but seriously I learned that in golf it's all about good technique!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, golfper said:

Well, not exactly in the vein golf of the bodily functions stories above, so I may be out of place... but one of my most memorable experiences on the golf course came back in the early 80's. 

...I feel like you're teasing us. Lol. Annnnnnnnnnd????

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 3/2/2023 at 3:27 AM, GolfSpy_SAM said:

...I feel like you're teasing us. Lol. Annnnnnnnnnd????

..may be a scam/spam post?  ..check the link under the word "golf"

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

39 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

..may be a scam/spam post?  ..check the link under the word "golf"

The hyperlink seems to want to pull up golfchannel (dot) com.  Jury is out.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 3 weeks later...

Not a story but I think everyone can relate…hope it brings a smile.

Livin’ The Dream

It’s a beautiful day
And I’m livin’ the dream
From the number one tee 
To the 18th green

It’s a wonderful, glorious
Frustrating, furious
Way to spend the day

I stretch to get loose
And I practice my swing
Tee the right height
Set my feet
Bend my knees
I’m ready to go
Can’t forget above all
Whatever I do
Keep my eye on the ball

The fairways are wide
But the sands where I go 
By the end of the day
I should lob like a pro
I keep my head still
I keep my stance tall
I swing down 
Turn my hips
And forget through it all
The number one rule
Keep my eye on the ball

My driver is searching
The depths of the lake
My sand wedge is in pieces
Along with the rake
Overtime’s calling me
Oh what a rub
I need extra money
To buy some new clubs

The little white demon
I’ve chased all day long
Outlasted my clubs
Like a sick country song
Now to the green
A one putt wins it all
I just need to focus
I must make it fall
Because if I don’t
I know above all
I will need a new putter
From smashing the ball

At the end of day
Still livin’ the dream
Can’t wait to be back
On the number one tee

Frustrating, furious
Way to spend the day

©️ChristiJMiller 2023

Tijoli

1 hour ago, Tijoli said:

Not a story but I think everyone can relate…hope it brings a smile.

Livin’ The Dream

It’s a beautiful day
And I’m livin’ the dream
From the number one tee 
To the 18th green

Frustrating, furious
Way to spend the day

I stretch to get loose
And I practice my swing
Tee the right height
Set my feet
Bend my knees
I’m ready to go
Can’t forget above all
Whatever I do
Keep my eye on the ball

The fairways are wide
But the sands where I go 
By the end of the day
I should lob like a pro
I keep my head still
I keep my stance tall
I swing down 
Turn my hips
And forget through it all
The number one rule
Keep my eye on the ball

My driver is searching
The depths of the lake
My sand wedge is in pieces
Along with the rake
Overtime’s calling me
Oh what a rub
I need extra money
To buy some new clubs

The little white demon
I’ve chased all day long
Outlasted my clubs
Like a sick country song
Now to the green
A one putt wins it all
I just need to focus
I must make it fall
Because if I don’t
I know above all
I will need a new putter
From smashing the ball

At the end of day
Still livin’ the dream
Can’t wait to be back
On the number one tee

Frustrating, furious
Way to spend the day

©️ChristiJMiller 2023

I LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing! Great to see you around the forum!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T