Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

GolfSpy SAM

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

In my opinion and also what Tony indicated on today's No Putts Given.    Use your ball as a baseline and try to determine what you need to change.  If you need more spin around the green, look at balls that spin more with the short irons than your baseline.  If you want more distance,  look at the balls with more distance.  it is really a trial and error type of approach;  there isn't a single answer for anyone.  

... I play with plenty of high index golfers that especially here in the desert, just bump and run everything around the green. Not a bad play as there is less margin for error but chipping with a 7 iron just off the front of the green to a back pin where the ball will be rolling for 90% of the distance it doesn't really matter if you are playing a ProV1 or a Duo Soft. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

In my opinion and also what Tony indicated on today's No Putts Given.    Use your ball as a baseline and try to determine what you need to change.  If you need more spin around the green, look at balls that spin more with the short irons than your baseline.  If you want more distance,  look at the balls with more distance.  it is really a trial and error type of approach;  there isn't a single answer for anyone.  

I agree.  Listened to the podcast a little while ago.  But it would be sooooooo much easier if some wizard could just look at me and give me the answer!😜

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

2 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

I agree.  Listened to the podcast a little while ago.  But it would be sooooooo much easier if some wizard could just look at me and give me the answer!😜

... And your wish has been granted!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

56 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I play with plenty of high index golfers that especially here in the desert, just bump and run everything around the green. Not a bad play as there is less margin for error but chipping with a 7 iron just off the front of the green to a back pin where the ball will be rolling for 90% of the distance it doesn't really matter if you are playing a ProV1 or a Duo Soft. 

A wise man once said the above. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The ball test has confirmed that the Maxfli Tour X and the Callaway Chromesoft X LS still work for my combination of swing speeds, which I already knew. But it also has me intrigued by the Bridgestone B XS. The last Bridgestone ball I gamed was a B330, so I’m probably due to give them another go

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

8 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

just for fun I'd like to see them test balls marketed as "straight" - Polara, Maxfli StraightFli, etc. (I realize the Polara is illegal, but just for fun)

Along with the above suggested golf balls ,..I have pitched this here before (pun intended) please do some kind of a test of the MG Senior golf ball. Longer off the tee with driver or their phony advertising hype?  Thank you

8 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

The ball test has confirmed that the Maxfli Tour X and the Callaway Chromesoft X LS still work for my combination of swing speeds, which I already knew. But it also has me intrigued by the Bridgestone B XS. The last Bridgestone ball I gamed was a B330, so I’m probably due to give them another go

Curious what your ss is. I didn't see the post Johnny put up until this morning and last night I bought the Chrome soft X LS triple track. I wanted a little less spin than the Pro V1 and a little more distance. My ball speed sits around 155 avg. I'm a +2 AOA too

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

30 minutes ago, mbrodeur86 said:

Curious what your ss is. I didn't see the post Johnny put up until this morning and last night I bought the Chrome soft X LS triple track. I wanted a little less spin than the Pro V1 and a little more distance. My ball speed sits around 155 avg. I'm a +2 AOA too

Mid iron ave 86-88

Driver ave 106-108

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Just now, Ben Joest said:

Mid iron ave 86-88

Driver ave 106-108

Yeah that's pretty much my numbers give or take. How does the LS react when you hit it into a green? I'm usually short to the flag so I like a hit and roll of about 10-15 feet. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Exactly! That is what I do. I am a high capper, and change the golf ball in my bag from time to time. I play a ball for a certain time,say 4-6 rounds, and determine if this ball is helping me. If not, on to the next choice. I take my time choosing. I read the mfg's. take on the ball, and then read reviews. Right now playing a ball that I have played before, and feel comfortable with this ball, as I am not playing a lot at this time. Been at least a month since I last played. Will be playing a round in a couple of weeks, and this ball will help me stay in the fairway, for the most part. No expectations for my round, just to have some fun on the course...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

What a great resource, though it hasn’t changed what I play for this year. Maxfli Tour mostly, Titleist ProV1 on special occasions - about 3:1. I just tried Snell MTB and MTBX again, used to be my go to ball, but Maxfli Tour is as good or better IME.

As a strictly anecdotal aside of the 20 plus guys I play with regularly, Titleist is most popular among better players, Callaway among mid-high handicappers. Then Bridgestone. A few of us play Maxfli (me), Vice, Srixon. For whatever reason no one plays TaylorMade or Kirkland consistently. A fair number of the guys play found balls, some selectively, some whatever they find…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On the topic of dispersion, I think there's just too many variables to accurately test that in a situation like this. Is the dispersion because you're always coming in with an open/closed face? Are you OTT or way to in/out? Do you always miss heel or toe? All of those are factors I would think, and trying all of that in a testing environment would be more difficult than just using the Iron Byron to measure distance, spin, peak height, etc so everything is consistent across the board.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

While i wish i had seen the Left Dot in this test, i was shocked to see how well the V1X did across the board....longer than left dash at mid swing and fast speeds.......if you are a titleist player and swing in the mid range, only two balls in thier lineup exceed 400 yards on a driver and mid iron.....Left dash and V1x...

I was disappointed in the V1 in comparison as Titleist has claimed to incorporate some left dot technology but I feel they missed the mark.....Finau left the V1 to go back to the left dot....

i have to test the V1x on the course.....

Golf is cool

14 hours ago, tdc1 said:

I honestly wish the same. This is really the first year of golf for me in many different respects, especially around game improvement. When I went in for a club fitting, I was sort of shocked that they asked a bunch of, what am I looking for questions. I just wanted to say, I have no idea what even to look for. I was hoping someone would watch me hack a way a little bit, and just hand me a club and say these are yours, go and get better. Same concept with a Golf Ball.  

On the podcast, I really took to the idea of just finding one ball, and using that one ball to establish a baseline. Is this ball too hard, too soft, does it sound funny? Do I hate the way it clicks off the putter or squish into the driver? and then go from there.  I've been using a Vice Pro, and I switched to a Callaway Chromesoft recently and so far have enjoyed it. So I'm going to stick with Chromesoft for a while, and hopefully work it in from there. But I agree that it would be nice to have someone look and say, "you know you'd get more distance and control, with similar feel if you switch to XXXXX"

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

1 minute ago, Shakeyfly said:

I honestly wish the same. This is really the first year of golf for me in many different respects, especially around game improvement. When I went in for a club fitting, I was sort of shocked that they asked a bunch of, what am I looking for questions. I just wanted to say, I have no idea what even to look for. I was hoping someone would watch me hack a way a little bit, and just hand me a club and say these are yours, go and get better. Same concept with a Golf Ball.  

On the podcast, I really took to the idea of just finding one ball, and using that one ball to establish a baseline. Is this ball too hard, too soft, does it sound funny? Do I hate the way it clicks off the putter or squish into the driver? and then go from there.  I've been using a Vice Pro, and I switched to a Callaway Chromesoft recently and so far have enjoyed it. So I'm going to stick with Chromesoft for a while, and hopefully work it in from there. But I agree that it would be nice to have someone look and say, "you know you'd get more distance and control, with similar feel if you switch to XXXXX"

chromesoft is a very under rated ball.....it does everything well.....switching balls to something "better" may not result in better scoring.....its rare a switch results in you actually SCORING Better.....thats the ultimate goal is to score better....not gain 2 yards of distance off the driver....

Golf is cool

For those that have their own data from Trackman, Ballnamic is a good resource to use for comparisons between balls. I’ve enjoyed my move to the recommended AVX from V1X and Z Star. Been exactly what I was looking for. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’ve been golfing for over 30 years and played a wide variety balls over that time. In my opinion the best way to choose a ball comes down to

1. How does it feel off the club face/putter

2. Do I get the spin I want on approach shots/around the greens. 

3. Carry distance

4. Cost relative to other balls with similar performance 

I don’t put distance at the top because it’s really hard to judge distance comparisons in a real golf setting versus a testing setting with so many uncontrolled variables on each hole. But I can play three different balls over 18 holes and get a good comparison 6 holes at a time with spin and overall feel. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

5 minutes ago, Shakeyfly said:

I'm probably roughly in the same boat as you are.  Been playing around a year.  Fitted for clubs.  Taking lessons. H.I. hovering around 19. 

To date - nearly every ball I've tried that I liked the feel of had a compression rating in the mid 80s.  So that's where I set my starting point.  Next - i much prefer to play a yellow ball - so that narrowed the field down to 7 options. Out of those 7, i axed any that didn't score well in the ball lab.  That knocked off 2 of them. Then I put the remaining 5 in the cross tab table and started interpolating performance of the more affordable options against the Pro V1 yellow ball - going back and forth between the slow and mid speed data sets.  That got me down to 2 choices - one of which happened to be the ball I've been playing the most over the past year.  I ordered a dozen of the other option so I can do my own head to head testing on my launch monitor and out on the course.  There's about a $7/dz difference in the cost of the two models so that's not likely to sway me much - but will be the tie breaker if I can't discern anything between the two on the course.

Seems a little daunting - but it's giving me something to do .....

I like the process. 

@PMookie Do you know offhand the minimum data Ballnamic needs?  Thanks.

@JohnnyO3478 Just being nosy here (and understand if you don’t want to say yet) but which balls are down to in your process?  I admit to not having the discipline to be too methodical in my choice — I just keep defaulting to good condition Pro Vs that I find.

I am a low swing speed player with lower spin, I’d love to try one of the recommended higher spin balls but Maxfli Tour X is more in my wheelhouse price wise. Already seen a few promising things on wedge shots, need to see if they’ve made a change on Trackman.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

21 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

@PMookie Do you know offhand the minimum data Ballnamic needs?  Thanks.

It’s been a year since I did it, but I think they are ball speed, launch, spin, basic numbers. If I remember correctly I entered those for both driver and irons. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

20 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

@JohnnyO3478 Just being nosy here (and understand if you don’t want to say yet) but which balls are down to in your process?  I admit to not having the discipline to be too methodical in my choice — I just keep defaulting to good condition Pro Vs that I find.

I don't mind.  I should have included in the original post.  Here's how it went down for me:

Yellow balls in the mid 80s:

Titelist Pro V1

Maxfli Tour  (my current ball)

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Titleist Tour Speed

Srixon Z Star

Maxfli Tour S

Wilson Triad

Eliminated based on Ball Lab performance:

Tour B XS

Z Star

Tour Speed

Final 2:

Wilson Triad ($38/dz by subscription) and Maxfli Tour ($30/dz in bulk)

Both made in the Foremost factory - same dimple pattern - both solid performers in the ball lab.  Triad seems to out perform Tour in the slow speed category - but i think they essentially cross over and meet up as the swing speed increases.  I swing an 8 iron around 73 mph and my driver around 88 on average.  I plan on spending a lot of time hitting 30, 40, 50 yd shots and chipping around the greens in the upcomming weeks. 

So, can someone please explain this  to me? What happened with ProV1's. Mid swing speed player and haven't dug into the data too deep. 

Playing 2023 ProV1's currently. 

Have played Prov1X in the past, is it enough of a concern to go back to them? 

I got away from the ProV1X's because I thought they were way to spinny around the greens. 

Thanks for the help. 

Driver- Ping G425 Max

3 Wood- Callaway Rogue

3 Hy- 19 Deg Taylor Made M2

Irons- Callaway Apex Pro 14’

Wedges- Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 60/9 ,  Cleveland RTX- 3 V-MG 52/10, Vokey 08 M SM8

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft

5 hours ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

I don't mind.  I should have included in the original post.  Here's how it went down for me:

Yellow balls in the mid 80s:

Titelist Pro V1

Maxfli Tour  (my current ball)

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Titleist Tour Speed

Srixon Z Star

Maxfli Tour S

Wilson Triad

Eliminated based on Ball Lab performance:

Tour B XS

Z Star

Tour Speed

Final 2:

Wilson Triad ($38/dz by subscription) and Maxfli Tour ($30/dz in bulk)

Both made in the Foremost factory - same dimple pattern - both solid performers in the ball lab.  Triad seems to out perform Tour in the slow speed category - but i think they essentially cross over and meet up as the swing speed increases.  I swing an 8 iron around 73 mph and my driver around 88 on average.  I plan on spending a lot of time hitting 30, 40, 50 yd shots and chipping around the greens in the upcomming weeks. 

Thanks for the detail!  I’m about the same driver SS and also prefer yellow balls.  I’ve played MaxFli Tour and Tour X — both prior model — with some success. Have been wondering about the Triad myself.

4 hours ago, tdc1 said:

Thanks for the detail!  I’m about the same driver SS and also prefer yellow balls.  I’ve played MaxFli Tour and Tour X — both prior model — with some success. Have been wondering about the Triad myself.

Last phase of in house testing (I hope).  They feel just like the Maxfli Tour and are the exact same shade of yellow.  No surprise there.  I am sure the cover material and the paint are the same materials.  The ball lab reported that the Triad is on the lighter side of weight spectrum - and I confirmed this, myself.  2/3 of the balls in my box weighed 45.4 grams while the other third weighed in at 45.5 g.  Worthy of note that the ping against the 2023 Maxfli was an inconsistency in the weights amount the samples tested - with one box being noticably heavier than the other two. If there had not been that variation, Tony said he would have scored the ball in the 90s.  I can control for that inconsistency. I weighed my last dz and they were all 45.7g with the exception of one that weighed 45.6 g - that can't possibly be perceptible.  I also weighed a box of yellow pro V1 at the same time - and there was a little more variance with the Titleist box - but still most at 45.7g.

I had a lesson this afternoon - and hit the Triad a bit when I got home.  It felt fine and performed on the launch monitor in about the same manner as the Maxfli and Pro V.  I have 3 rounds scheduled this weekend.  Let's see how many I can lose .....

Triad.jpg

Ordered a dozen of the chrome soft x ls they seem to compare pretty favorably to my current gamer the Tour B RXS.  Will it knock it off for distance off the tee?  Ill find out monday.  Figured I would go as far away from my softer RXS to really try and suss out any actual difference on course with a human hitting it.  Will be playing my regular league course so I know where I typically tend to end up with hits.  Should make for a good head to head comparison.

TLDR: had 10.00 of scorerewards sitting in my account so decided to yolo on some new balls to whack.

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review