Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

YOUR OPINIONS? - "Top 10 Golf Equipment Companies"

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Your Honest Feelings About the "Top 10 Golf Equipment Companies?"

First...I want this thread to be a place you can feel 100% free to say whatever you want about whichever company you want to say it about on this list. No matter if what you have to say is good or bad and no matter whether it has to do with their customer service or the quality of their product. I want to hear about how you feel and the experiences you have with these 10 major golf equipment companies that make up this industry.

So...maybe you just like the way a particular companies irons feel or you simply appreciate the level of interaction they have with their customers. Maybe you just love them because they dominate the weekly Darrell Survey stats or possibly because you have an attachment to their commercials. Or vice versa...maybe you feel like their product line was a disappointment to you. Like I said...no matter whether it's positive or negative feedback I want to hear it...and I am sure they would want to hear it as well.

This industry has become a place full of fluffers...and OEM's are only hearing one side of the story. MyGolfSpy has always been a place where I wanted your voice to be heard by these golf companies with almost no moderation. So speak up if you had a great experience or you have some constructive criticism you would like them to hear.

*below is the list of the "Top 10 Golf Equipment Companies", feel free to comment on all or any of them individually.

TOP 10 GOLF EQUIPMENT COMPANIES

- Adams

- Callaway

- Cleveland

- Cobra

- Mizuno

- Nike

- Ping

- Taylormade

- Titleist

- Wilson

#TruthDigest

- Adams Great company with a range of great products, just a little under exposed here in the UK apart from their hybrids

- Callaway Great range across the board but they still don't know how to compete with TM on marketing etc

- Cleveland - Solid middle of the road ruined their new 588 wedges with too much inscription on the back should have gone for the classic look

- Cobra - Love their MB & CB irons think the Rickie Fowler tie up is good state side but won't affect UK market

- Mizuno - The best forged mass produced iron maker in golf Full stop

- Nike - Had a job interview didn't get it would never buy a Nike club for that reason

- Ping - Never been a fan of their clubs but still use my original Ping Hoofer bag from 1998

- Taylormade - Never really liked them too many clubs brought to market, but we now stock them I got free clubs I LOVE TM

- Titleist - Great heritage but needs to move forward more with the times too many great club makers out their that will steal customers, they have been warned

- Wilson - Some great products but poor choices in where to price and stock their products hurt them.

All the opinions are based living here in the UK so you guys might have different views

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

1) Taylormade - Results count and these guys deliver good products, some great, very innovative at times. However, the incessant overmarketing and saturation of multiple models every year has got to be killing the small independent shops, while giving the BB stores an even bigger advantage.

2) Ping - I do not have a single Ping product, but my reading of history says we owe Ping a lot for their contributions over the years.

3) Cally - I have bagged Cally irons in the past, good stuff, excellent customer service. Have to Agree with Stuart that the marketing has not yet met the quality of the product.

4) Wilson - A sleeper in my opinion. They are right below the top technology, but as Stuart mentioned, many of us hate to shop at BB stores, and Wilson seems to have all their eggs in the second-tier of the BB stores.

5) Adams - many of my friends bag and rave Adams clubs, especially the metals. I have just had any success with them.

6) Cleveland - Had many Cleveland clubs, but I see them falling behind.

7) Nike - Should be higher, but they dissed St Vince Lombardi a few years ago, and Cheeseheads never forget.

8) Cobra - Like the philosophy, but I think they missed the boat this year.

9) Mizuno - Again, solid company, but this Indian just does not hit those arrows

10) Titleist - Elitist snobs, rep turned red when RBZ and Wilson were mentioned. Of course, he got into his little putt-putt hybrid car with the "Think Globaly Act Locally" bumper sticker.

*below is the list of the "Top 10 Golf Equipment Companies", feel free to comment on all or any of them individually.

- Adams

- Callaway

- Cleveland

- Cobra

- Mizuno

- Nike

- Ping

- Taylormade

- Titleist

- Wilson

Adams - RIP, we'll miss you!

Callaway - let's see how good the synergy is with Chip Brewer.

Cleveland - what happened to the company that broke the mold with the HiBore? Its strongest offerings remain its wedges.

Cobra - synergy with Puma may still be in its infancy.

Mizuno - its golf division will probably always be known for its irons and not much else.

Nike - great shoes! :huh: :rolleyes: :blink:

Ping, Titleist - possibly the top 2 in overall quality for all club categories. Ping has some catching up to do in the adjustability arena.

Taylormade - if it has any sense, it will fully leverage Adams' best minds to truly be the 800 lb gorilla in all club categories.

Wilson - see Mizuno, but maybe even less so as long as the public perceives that it really doesn't care so much about its golf division.

1- Mizuno has always been my favorite brand, possibly because I could never bring myself to sell my first set of irons and the MP30s still make me smile when I hit them. The first thing that comes to mind with Mizuno is classic good looks. If I forget about a few of the MX iron series, they have always looked how an iron (and some drivers) should look.

2 - Wilson made the small blade irons I played when I was a kid (hand me downs from grandad) and they have always been the "All American" company in my mind. I'm glad to see some of their new equipment is looking and performing very well. I still haven't hit them but the FG62's are gorgeous.

3 - Titleist drivers have always performed well and felt fantastic. Can't deny that the ProV is and has been a staple in the game also. Never cared for their irons however, and the AP's seem to be their flagship iron but are ugly to me. Don't care for the feel either. Kind of seems like they are trying to ride the "better player" category without actually making products that way.

4 - Nike/Cobra/Adams have some good clubs that I've hit and I even bag some cobra irons, but good products with these companies seem less frequent than with the ones I listed above. Too many ugly clubs or ones that just don't perform for me (Adams).

5 - Ping has irons that perform well, but many are ugly to me and just don't have the feel of forged that I like. Haven't had any experience with their woods or putters, mainly because they hold their value too well. Guess thats a good thing...

6 - Cleveland should probably be higher on my list as I have been playing one of their wedges since high school, but I have never hit any of their irons and have never been a fan of any of their staff players. Non-existent marketing up until this year it seems. I will say I desperately want a Cleveland Classic driver though, that thing is sick.

7 - Callaway in my opinion only makes ugly, crappy clubs. Maybe this is because their poster boy always has a douchy look on his face.

8 - Taylormade is just plain annoying. Their clubs may work well but they are too flashy and I personify them as a spike hair frat boy who always has his pastel collar popped and makes loud ridiculous statements so people will pay attention to him.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

- Adams

Lordie, I hope TM gives them marketing dollars and leaves them alone. They continue to churn out good clubs and seem willing to beat other brands price wise as well. Now, I think they churn out way too many cycles though. They're actually worse then TM for that already but still, solid product.

They however have simply the worst possible custom order department in golf. Prices are fine for upgraded items but the time to get anything done is flat out silly for items even well into production. Last time I looked at another shaft for the A12 hybrid I was quoted 6 to 8 weeks. Gah.

- Callaway

Generally, an overall solid product line. The Fit and Black are both good woods, the hybrids are ok, Odyssey is the giant it's always been and the irons are good.

Now I also think they have too many irons in the lineup. I cannot count how many times I see people starring at the rack at Golftown not even knowing where to begin or what fits, at least loosely, into the GI, SGI and GE line ups.

Custom order costs are high for replacement shafts though they have gotten slightly better on that this year. Still near the top end for the OEM's though and signifigantly more then those who are all aboard the custom fitting train. They're stock shafts also need to be looked at. I don't mind shafts that are for the 80% population lately but I have my doubts that the ones in the hybrids or the Fit or Black fairway are even close to that range.

Where Callaway really wins is customer service overall and the CPC centers where I've only ever had excellent experiences.

- Cleveland

Honestly, I'm still on the fence with Cleveland. Bringing back the 588's is like Cobra bringing back the Trusty Rusty's. It's kind of eh and falls too far into the wanting to retain tradition, something that Titleist does the best, which comes off as odd for two very progressive companies. On the hand hand, then they seem to get it with the customized 588 wedges (should be irons too) and Never Compromise putters.

I think, much like Wilson, that they're missing the boat on the better then average guys who seem to be put off by the 588's (too intimidating) but want something smaller then the CG16's.

All in all, I still don't know what you think of them.

- Cobra

I'm not a huge fan of the appearance of the new stuff but it certainly seems to work. I think maybe next year or the one after when the designers can really sink their teeth into designs and alterations we'll see some great clubs. I'm also hoping that they do a line that is perhaps slightly toned down in the boldness, perhaps in a model in the "players" line.

On the other hand I'd love to see Cobra open up more custom options in the form of colours. I bet they could cream Cleveland and Callaway in the customization aspect if they let people have a go at the AMP but give them various other neon colours to choose from.

Something on my wish list that will never happen: Make the bafflers and .370 tip like other hybrids out there. I want Baffler hybrids but I don't want to stick a cut down, over weight, over priced driver shaft in one.

Cobra isn't just taking a demographic, they're making one. I guess we'll see how it works going forward.

- Mizuno

Solid irons, better then average woods that people don't give enough of a chance too. I wish their custom options for woods/hybrids was a little bigger with maybe a touch more forgiveness but it is what it is.

- Nike

The unrespected red head step child of the golf world. IMO this red headed step child is about ready to hit back and start taking charge. Nike's R&D is damn impressive and their clubs for the past 2 or 3 lines just flat out work. I think they still need to put some effort into the feel and sound department (excluding the Pro Combo irons of 2011. Those things are heavenly) for the woods/hybrids (and I question why they went with open faces in the VRS line when most people slice the ball) but otherwise a solid all around company.

I do think the XI ball line missed the mark. They are weirdly soft yet harsh and clicky at the same depending on the club you're using. If there's anywhere that Nike falls down in their lineup, it's the ball.

- Ping

Again, I don't know here. They just kind of plod along and do their thing as they wish. The i20 line looks to be a smash hit that will be around for some time and the G and K line really takes care of anyone else. They still make diabolically ugly clubs but they consistently work. I do wish they were more friendly to the online community sometimes though.

- Taylormade

As everyone says, the big gorilla. I actually like that TM is all up in people's faces doing lots of web testing, online contests, stupid hats on tour. Granted I wish any of the above were open to Canadians but none of the US OEM's seem to like us there, bah.

The FCT works well and has really let TM endear themselves to the tinkerers while the average guy likes the graphics and the performance.

I think they're out to lunch if they actually think their target market is the 0 to 4 handicaps like Mark mentioned on the Adams purchasing email. I think they likely do much better with the mid section of golfers with the burners and R11's then nearly anyone else in golf.

- Titleist

Just a solid brand. They support custom fitting, they have excellent custom upgrade prices and very good turn around times. Not exactly the most innovative around but all their stuff get's the job done.

I do wish two things.

A: The lower end balls were priced perhaps a touch more competitively.

B: They had a line up putters that was not Scotty Cameron's or developed their own insert style of putter for those who don't like milled designs.

- Wilson

Honestly, I think they're missing two things.

A: The woods likeup. The Fybrids are an excellent step actually and I think they nailed this line but the DXI Ultralight doesn't have any more pizzaz then a Founders club driver. They need something that reaches out and smacks someone in the face from the rack until they try it and with red being they're primary colour it should be doable even when they're fighting with TM over it.

B: The slightly better then average. Seems to be that the FG's and even the V2's are too intimidating for people while the Ci's don't appeal to the better then average player and the DI's just don't have the brand recognition to go up against the 2.0's or the Redlines.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

This is really hard to do because I have companies that rank in the top of my list for different areas of the game. I'll doi a top two or three for different categories.

I have zero love for TM in terms of equipment in clubs, they make a good golf ball though.

I am going to leave out Miura in the irons and wedges section but know that it is my true number one in both categories but with the price tag just not real realistic for majority of people.

Drivers

1) Adams, I just love my Fast 12 LS and loved the 9032ls i used to have, plus the 9064ls is a great head

2) Bridgestone J40 445, 425... it unseated the 9064ls in the Ultimate Review so have to say it's my number 2

Hybrids / Fairway woods

1) Tour Edge Exotics CB2, CB3, CB4 lines all are good clubs

2) Adams, XTD & Pro a12 lines are crazy hot

Irons

1) Mizuno, again great irons have been compared to Miura in feel a lot

2) Wilson Staff, they are a sleeper they have a great blade in the FG62s just butter soft

3) Adams, I like there CB1, MB, a12 and the new CMB looks pretty good as well

Wedges

1) Mizuno, I like the MP T-11s look and the grooves got great reviews plus the forged mizuno feel can't hurt

2) Titleist Vokey SM4 TC, cast but still carbon so feels soft and tons of loft and bounce options

3) Cleveland 588 for $200 a wedge you can customize the wedge if you want they look great and well it's Cleveland a company known for a wedge

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

- Adams

never liked the feel or looks of any of their clubs, including the hybrids. However, went to the store Monday with a friend who bought a set of A12OS, and felt the MB2s and really liked them.

- Callaway

Always have been one of my favorites. Especially drivers. They have offered the Tour line up of everything they make without much offset, which appeals to me. The recent addition of the forged line has been a big hit with me. I loved the TA Musclebacks.

- Cleveland

never hit one of their clubs. Have some friends with them but could not care less about them.

- Cobra

not a huge fan of them.

- Mizuno

I have never played Mizuno but am very interested in them. Have never heard a bad word about their irons.

- Nike

They may make some excellent products, and those that I have tried are good, but I come away from there products thinking that they are cheap.

- Ping

Rugged, Dependable, built to last. The work horse of golf clubs.

- Taylormade

I believe that their products are only half as good as they say they are. Which still makes them pretty darned good.

- Titleist

My favorite, but the new irons are rather boring.

- Wilson

I did not know they made grown up golf equipment.;)

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Adams: First thing I think about is their hybrids, but I really don't like how they look. The top slot is just ugly, as are the yellow colors. I do really like the CB3s and Pro a12 irons too and hope to try them out soon.

Callaway: I love what they're doing with the uDesign Razr fit and it makes the club look really nice. I'm partial to either the red or white versions. Frankly for everything else though, their lineup is ugly. I'm hoping we see some new less busy designs soon.

Cleveland: I had their wedges and they're nice, but I don't think I'd buy them again. The Dynacraft wedges I have a better and much cheaper. For everything else, I think they're catering to an older crowd, so it doesn't appeal to me.

Cobra: Like Cleveland, Cobra isn't really marketed towards me, they're more for the younger crowd. I've also never hit their stuff, so I really know little about them.

Mizuno: I've had a chance to hit Mizuno irons before and they're very nice. When it comes time to get new irons and wedges, I'll definitely sample what they have. For everything else, I'm not terribly interested. As a general rule, if I company doesn't bother paying players or advertising their woods, then IMO they probably don't put much R&D funds into it either. Maybe that's just perception though.

Nike: The VR Pro Combo are the most underrated irons and feel great. I'm not a big fan of the Vr-s forged though. As for their woods, I know I've heard good things about their new line up, but to me they're just plain big and ugly. No thanks.

Ping: I've never hit a Ping club, but I really like their i20 and Anser lineups. One of these days I'll give them a shot. Best customization options for irons short of Miura.

Taylormade: I am bagging two TM clubs. I think the R11s is the best driver on the market right now. At first I saw the ASP plate as a gimmick, but it works very well for setting up the club the exact same way every time. I can't say enough good things about this driver. As for the RBZ 3-wood tour, it's straight and long, but not too long so it falls perfectly between my driver and 3H. Great club.

That all said, I can't help but feel subconscious bagging TM clubs because I every time I see a full bag of TM clubs, I think the person is trying to buy their score. Since, depending on the day, temperature, phase of the moon, etc, I'm either a good player who can shoot in the 80s or terrible and shoot in the high 90s, I can probably looked upon as one of those players.

Titleist: Had I not gotten the RBZ for free, I'd have a 910F in my bag right now. I'm still tempted to get the 910H, but am waiting until after my fitting. Best feeling clubs out there. I do like the 910 driver as well, but the R11s beats it because of the ASP imo. As for their irons, they're really boring looking and I can't say I'm too interested. I'd like to try the Vokey wedges some time, but I really don't see anything knocking out my Dynacrafts for now. Scotty putters are overpriced IMO.

Wilson: Based on the reviews from this site, I'd like to try the FG Tour V2. Other than that, I can't say I'm too interested.

Hireko: I'm adding this in because they can stand toe to toe with the big boys. My Acer Hybrids hit just as far and just as well as the TM 2011 Rescues. Only carpenter steel faces (i.e. RBZ, 910 series) can beat them. The Dynacraft irons and wedges are fantastic as well and feel as good as any. The only place I'll really ding them is aerodynamics for their drivers, though they do offer a club that was wind tunnel tested.

To recap:

Drivers: Taylormade R11s, Titleist 910, Callaway Razr Fit uDesign

Fairways: Taylormade RBZ, Titleist 910F

Hybrids: Acer XF, Titleist 910H, Taylormade RBZ,

Irons: Dynacraft Prophet Tour, Adams CB3, Adams Pro a12, Mizuno MP63, Nike VR Pro Combo, Ping Anser, Ping i20, Ping S56

Wedges: Dynacraft DMC Forged, Vokeys, Mizuno, Anser

Putters: No preference in brand, whatever I can align well and catches my eye.

Balls: So many good balls out right now from many of the major OEMs, I just need to find a ball that works and stick with it. I'm hoping the Bridgestones do that for me.

- Adams

- Callaway

- Cleveland

- Cobra

- Mizuno

- Nike

- Ping

- Taylormade

- Titleist

- Wilson

Here we go... These are the impressions of a guy that has worked in the golf industry since 1995.

Adams: This company really has come a long way in the minds of a lot of consumers. Adams makes a lot of REALLY good products for a wide range of players. I'm not sure that the company knows what its identity should be. Perhaps trying to spread itself too thin. Customer service can be hit or miss.

Callaway: Obviously a massive brand that covers the entire spectrum of golfers from pro to rank beginner, and every aspect of the game from apparel to accessories to clubs and balls. Customer service is consistently good from Callaway. It feels like this company has been wandering aimlessly in the desert for the past 10 years or so... just putting out average product and relying on the brand recognition to sell. I still get the consumer that comes in asking for the "Full set of Big Berthas...." Pretty much every week. Good irons, crappy woods. Good woods, average irons. Never great on both fronts. The putters seem like a rehash of tried and true shapes (2 ball) with different inserts. (this is what EVERYBODY does.)

Cleveland: This one makes me a little sad to write about. Cleveland was my favorite club company when I got started in the business. When Corey Pavin won the 1995 US open with the ugly VAS clubs... I was hooked. I have played Cleveland wedges since 1990, and owned 10+ sets of irons, and 20+ different woods. The company has historically had great customer service, and good custom options. However, the recent releases from Cleveland have left me scratching my head.. I am loving the Classic series Drivers, but wonder why they are so closed. The new irons perform fine, but there is no WOW to them. The wedges are just meh. makes me sad.

Cobra: This is a company that is putting out some really good product today. Unfortunately, there is a ton of people that will not even try it because of the colors. I do not have enough experience with Puma and their customer service to generate an opinion about them.. (so far, so good though). Do yourself a favor, and try the Cobra stuff. It is good.

Mizuno: Great iron company. Make sub standard metal woods... and always have. The wedges this year are great too. Lots of custom options for the irons, good customer service, good fitting options. My only problem with Mizzy is that there are too many clubs in the line aimed at the same player category. MP59, MP69, MP58, MP68 all essentially for the same player.. (about 5% of the market)

Nike: Nike makes some great products every year. They also make some really bad ones every year. The problem for them is that people remember the bad ones. The VRS line is Great!! Solid drivers and hybrids. The VRS SGI irons are fantastic!! I cannot wait for the Tiger shoes. Lots of marketing support for the product. Nike customer service is outstanding. good company making good product, just fighting consumer biases.

Ping: What can you say about Ping?? These guys do it right. Everything about the Ping operation is strictly class. The clubs may be "ugly" but they WORK! Ping Customer Service is the gold standard. Fitting options galore. I hate the MPIP policy, but I understand it. (Full disclosure... I have only ever owned 3 Ping clubs. 1995 Scottsdale Anser Nickel Putter, ISI Driver, and a G5i Craz-e. Still have both putters) I would seriously consider Ping product the next time I was looking for equipment.

TaylorMade: Good Customer service. Lots of products, something for everyone. Lots of marketing support. LOTS OF MARKETING SUPPORT. I am starting to see some backlash to the white drivers, and constant stream of "The Next Big Thing". However, that does not slow down most of my customers. I really like the FCT sleeve and how it affects ease of fitting. It has DRAMATICALLY changed the way in which I do my job.

Titleist: Marketed as the "Brand for the Better Player", Titleist makes a good club for a small portion of the population, and a bad club for a large portion of the population. The 910 fitting system is revolutionary... but that head consistently under performs for most of my customers. The irons are generally the same from season to season, as are the wedges, putters, and balls. Titleist seems to find something that works and stick with it. Average Customer service, good quality control from the factory.

Wilson: sort of a lost brand. 10 years ago, it seemed like there was a set of Fat Shaft irons in every foursome at my home course. Today, it is difficult to get someone to even demo a set of Wilson irons. Wilson makes an iron for every player category. I have only demoed a few of them myself, and was impressed. Worth a try... I have VERY limited experience with the customer service dept at Wilson.

sorry for the rambling nature of this post... sort of a stream of consciousness thing...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

- Adams

Have always loved adams...Have played the Original Speedline, 9032LS, 9064LS, Fast 11 and in irons, the MB's, MB2's and the CMB's look delicious. There really hasn't been a product that I haven't really liked aside from maybe the Fast 11. Definitely near the top of the heap but deal with Taylormade has COMPLETELY soured me on them. Get ready for idiotic club names and wacky colour schemes.

- Callaway

My new current fav...fell in love with the MB proto's, then the Razr Hawk and now, have ordered a combo of the razr forged and MB's, as well as a Razr Fit. Their current offerings just seem to feel a lot better than all the products I've tried this year.

- Cleveland

I've never really fallen in love with any Cleveland irons but the Classic Driver and their wedges are pretty darn good. The Classic might be right behind the Razr Fit and 910 D2 in terms of feel and performance.

- Cobra

Cobra does irons REALLY well, particularly the players irons. The S3 pro's might be the best feeling irons on the market (Going to either game these or the Razr set). The Drivers have also improved but I still don't think they can compete with Callaway. Haven't really looked at any of their other gear.

- Mizuno

I've been a fan of Mizuno for a while but I haven't found a better iron than the MP-32. Their latest offerings have been overrated. The MP-59 might be the best of the recent ones but I still don't think it is that great compared to Cobra/Callaway. I blind tested the MP-59, Cobra S3 pros and the Titleist MB's. I was loving one club in particular and thought it was the MP-59. When I took off the tape, it was the Cobra's. I have to say, they are underrated in the driver category. The new MP-650 is VERY underrated. Great feel.

- Nike

Have never been able to get into any Nike gear other than a hybrid. Needed a hybrid for a tourney and bought the best feeling vs. budget and the Nike won. Irons are decent but not great.

- Ping

Another company where I just don't get the hype. Tried the i20 irons and really didn't like them. The i20 driver is good but again, doesn't compete with Callaway or Titleist.

- Taylormade

The antichrist...Ok, I admit, I used to play them exclusively, top to bottom, including bag. Now, I wouldn't even take money to play them. Last years offerings were horrible though the R11s is improved. I just can't stand a company that either blatently steals ideas or tries to sell clubs by changing colours, releases a club every 10 days with no noticeable improvement or comes up with ridiculous names. And they do all this by dumping billions into marketing and building hype. It's funny to just sit in a golf store and watch how many people will just buy an off the rack TM product and not even try it. And if they do, they rarely try it against any other club. Worst is that they bought one of my favorite companies and that makes me sick.

- Titleist

Really good product offering...would be my fave if their irons were better. Never fallen in love with a Titleist iron but driver, woods, hybrids and wedges are top notch.

- Wilson

Would love to try the FG62's but can't find them in Canada. Never really given them much of a chance other than trying a fitting once and found their shaft offering at the time was EXTREMELY limited.

I will say it is Taylor Made, Nike.

Sometimes (well, maybe most of the time) it is not the who makes the best equipment, however, who can market it the best.

I think lately, TM has separated themselves from the pack with their new ad campaign creative way to bring "social network" ads during tour. It is arguable whether they make the best club or not, however, I believe they make the best ad/marketing campaigns that connects with so many golfers out there. This is a reason why I put them on top of the list.

As for Nike...well, Tiger W made what Nike golf is today. Whether you like Tiger or not, without him, Nike golf as we know today probably will not exist. Once again, it is their marketing with so much money behind Nike as a company makes them who they are.

So many people love their Mizuno irons, however, for average hackers, they end up buying what they see on TV...All the other companies do fall behind in their ad/marketing compared to TM and Nike.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Not in the industry - just an 11 handicap who loves the game, so here goes:

Adams: Had a set of A2OS when I got back in the game a few years back - nice set for just that purpose. Blades and CB's seem to be top shelf, along with drivers and FW's. Hybrids are the best -- solid all the way around.

Callaway: Have been a driver, FW and hybrid fan for years...love the Razr Hawk & Razr Fit. Can't make heads or tails of the irons offerings -- WAY too many choices. Hit the forged irons at a demo - liked 'em a lot. But Ryan Seacrest?

Cleveland: Kinda under the radar but solid. The 588's are a sweet looking club, and they're not afraid to try something different (HiBore, Classic, Launcher). And despite the review here - I freakin' LOVE the Mashie Hybrids

Cobra: Not on my radar at all. I'm too old for the Fowler look

Mizuno: New favorite - tested a ton of irons this year and the MP-59's were easily the best fit for me. Just love 'em - they seem to be the class of the iron set. Hybrids? Not so much. Didn't hit this year's Driver or FW's -- last year's MP-600 was decent.

Nike: A heck of a lot better offering than I expected - the VR Pro Combo setup was my second choice, and they're strong throughout the line. Gotta give the VR_S driver a whack! I'd put them #2 behind Mizuno for irons.

Ping: Gotta respect a company that goes their own way. Didn't like the i20 irons at all, but the S-56? They were in the hunt right up there with the Nike Pro Combo's, and liked the i20 hybrids, FW's and drivers during the demo process. Solid from soup to nuts - just like Adams.

Taylormade: Been following this forum and it seems to be rubbing off. Overall decent stuff, but it doesn't do a lot for me. have a playing partner who swears by them, though. Bagged an R-11 3-wood last summer. Hated it...replaced it with a.....

Titleist: Bagging the 910 D2 and the 910F -- love 'em both. Smart adjustability without killing you with too many options, nice shaft choices. Don't have much experience with the irons -- not a fan of the looks of AP 1 or 2, but have tried each and they seem to perform nicely. Good stuff for guys who take the game seriously. Can never go wrong here.

Wilson: Love what they're doing iron-wise. The V2's are awesome - would have seriously considered them but couldn't get any info on a demo day in MN. Called customer service - they told me they'd have the regional manager get a hold of me either by phone or e-mail within 24 hours -- nothing happened. Went to GG where they said they were going to have a fitting, but the rep never showed. Loved the product, but when you can't demo it with the shaft you want, what are you gonna do? The off the shelf versions of both he V2 and the C-11's were very impressive. Can't say anything about the driver, FW or hybrid lineup, other than you get can last year's Fybrids pretty cheap at rockbottomgolf.com. Not sure what that says.... Really want Wilson to be great again!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Adams:

I don't understand the "hype" of Adams on this board. Equipment is priced well, but I never hit them well. Too much offest in their irons, especially their player's irons.

I like to see how they are handled under TMAG umbrella. Hopefully, like adidas treated Reebok and focused on a particular group or segment (Reebok = fitness, hockey and team uniforms)

Callaway:

Living in the own world. Need to connect past success to new products. Stop running away from the Big Bertha name. People recognized and respect it. It would draw people to their products again along with good marketing. They already seem to be focused on the core business (Callaway), but selling Hogan and Top-Flite recently.

Personally, don't like the shape of their metal woods or irons.

Cleveland:

Kinda boring. The Retro driver should not be your main driver product. New 588 wedges are Vokey inspired. WRONG! 588s stand on their own. Fitting system is lacking.

Cobra/PUMA:

Targeted to younger aged market. Bright colors are not me.

Mizuno:

Best select of mass produced forged irons on market! Need to work on metal woods, wedges and putters.

Nike:

Never impressed by their equipment since they started. I never look at their stuff when in the market.

PING:

DISCLAMIER: Ping is my personal club of choice (entire bag!).

Solid engineering. Innovative. Clubs perform as advertised. i20 driver is best I have "ever" hit! s56 irons rocks!

I don't get people saying their clubs are ugly. That was true in the past (70s, 80s and 90s). But they are more traditional than most nowadays.

Should they have an adjustable driver? Not sure. I see no reason for it unless you are tinkerer. They first adjustable driver sold OK (TiSI and Si). But to me, once I set it, I forget.

Taylormade:

The Barnum Bailey of Golf Equipment! The over-hyped, over-sold brand in the industry. I would never game their equipment.

Titleist:

A classic brand with a old story marketing style. Don't change what is not broken. They focus on golf balls and shoes and maintain those leads in the market while have a solid present in the club category.

Wilson:

My father's golf club. The last of the big three (Spadling, MacGregor) to still be around in a since. I remember learning with a set of Wilson. Bad management and sitting on your legacy is a bad thing (Are you listening, Callaway).

---
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9*, Fujikura Speeder, Stiff with 10 gram weight
Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3W (15*), 7W (20*), Fujikura, Stiff
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead XR Pro 5I - AW, KBS Tour 120 Steel Stiff, 2* flat, 1/2" short
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56/10, 60/8, KBS Hi-Rev Stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Bullseye Flange 33"
Bag: Callaway Stand Bag
Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Ball: Titleist ProV1x
Shoes: New Balance
Rangefinder: Nikon Cool Shot

Phana24, have you tried the Mizzy 800 Pros or the 800s?..The 800s are supposed to be a nice iron, with the benefits of a GI iron without looking & playing like a shovel..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

I hit a few with the 800s. Solid club, but just did not get the results I had with TM and Ping. In fairness, they were hit later in the day, and the quality of swing probably didn't give them a fair chance.

Here I go again out of the mainstream

Mac Gregor to sad they dont make them anymore

Hogan also RIP

Modern equip

Mizuno for their irons

Titleist Vokey wedges also irons

Ping for their putters

Adams or Ping for drivers ( if I had to go big mfgs) if not Wishon this is not subjective because I have not tried any of their latest offerings but I do like the way the Adams sits for me and likewise the Ping

Like everyone on here knows I do tend to play with older stuff but if the girl on the Wilson Staff commercial came with a set of them I would go WS full bag

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Quoting Nic Sherman

Cleveland: This one makes me a little sad to write about. Cleveland was my favorite club company when I got started in the business. When Corey Pavin won the 1995 US open with the ugly VAS clubs... I was hooked. I have played Cleveland wedges since 1990, and owned 10+ sets of irons, and 20+ different woods. The company has historically had great customer service, and good custom options. However, the recent releases from Cleveland have left me scratching my head.. I am loving the Classic series Drivers, but wonder why they are so closed. The new irons perform fine, but there is no WOW to them. The wedges are just meh. makes me sad.

I find it surprising that you state that the Cleveland classic is "so closed". The Classic 270 and 290 have a sqaure face and the Classic Tour is actually 1 degree open. Perhaps it is just the way the club looks to your eyes. I feel like there has been a lot of cleveland bashing in this thread, and I have to somewhat disagree. I have always liked their wedges but hadn't really hit any other cleveland clubs in the past five years. I went to a huge demo day last weekend and hit almost all of the new drivers (glad everyone brought a good selection of LH clubs) and I was most impressed with the Classic Tour and the RAZR Fit from Callaway. I also really appreciate how cleveland uses true aftermarket shafts in their clubs as opposed to the "made for" shafts that are standard with so many of the other brands. I agree that the irons are less impressive although I would love to hit the 588 forged irons at some point.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

Archived