Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sweat. Is it just me?

Kmbond

Hey all, is there anyone else out there that plays in moderately high temperatures and then, about 15-30 mins into a round, it looks like you just stepped out of a pool? Or is it just me? 

I’ve had quite a few rounds where my golf clothes are so wet that it’s uncomfortable to play. Shirts aren’t as bad as sweat soaked shorts.

A few questions for those others out there who sweat on the course…

What brand of clothes do you use to help reduce the impact of sweat during your found? Specifically worried about shorts but I’ll take shirt brand suggestions as well. 

Do you have any other tips or tricks for reducing the impact of sweat besides choosing the right brand of clothes? 

Thanks for the help in advance - my future self thanks anyone who has advice

WITB: Sim2 driver and 3W, SimMax 4H (I LOVE this club), AP2 irons (4-50), Tommy Armour wedges (56 and 60), Kirkland KS1 putter (and I’ll have to admit I love this putter and have tried lots of different ones over the last few years) 

Moisture wicking clothing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Moisture wicking clothing. 

I’ve tried all different kinds of moisture wicking fabrics with varying success. Any specific suggestions? 

WITB: Sim2 driver and 3W, SimMax 4H (I LOVE this club), AP2 irons (4-50), Tommy Armour wedges (56 and 60), Kirkland KS1 putter (and I’ll have to admit I love this putter and have tried lots of different ones over the last few years) 

Any of the major brands. A little more expensive ones are j lindeberg and galvin green.

i use under Armour and 2undr underwear

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

After seeing Lucas Glover today I think this thread should be taken more seriously and deserves some real thoughtful answers from the greater MGS braintrust  😬 @GolfSpy_APH

When it's super hot out it's a good idea to be drinking something that's more than water. You need to replace all that salt that you're losing. Personally, I've been using SaltStick drink mix for a couple years now for my bike riding and it's been great (I usually halve their recommended amount of mix).

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

@GolfSpy_Connor have any suggestions?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I’m a fan of the electrolyte-induced sport drinks on hot days, and also recommend eating something every three holes or so to replenish burned protein and lost nutrients.  Those help me.  

And a hearty second on moisture-wicking clothes.  Especially the shorts and undergarments, for obvi reasons.  

Following thread with keen interest.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

My dad didn't have sweat glands and I think I got his and mine both because I sweat a lot. I wear sweat wicking shirts and for underwear I wear ExOfficio and Jockey and both brands seem to work well.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

10 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

When it's super hot out it's a good idea to be drinking something that's more than water. You need to replace all that salt that you're losing. Personally, I've been using SaltStick drink mix for a couple years now for my bike riding and it's been great (I usually halve their recommended amount of mix).

This is great general advice and definitely helps me feel better and like I'm not going to pass out on very hot days. 

It still doesn't really do much for the sweat problem though! I guess I'll stick to black pants and shorts when it's super hot 😂 

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

I’m a fan of the electrolyte-induced sport drinks on hot days, and also recommend eating something every three holes or so to replenish burned protein and lost nutrients.  Those help me.  

And a hearty second on moisture-wicking clothes.  Especially the shorts and undergarments, for obvi reasons.  

Following thread with keen interest.  

The drinks and food are definitely a must, solid advice there. 

And the moisture wicking clothes still only do so much for me, I was hoping there was some big secret out there that I never picked up in my youth. Playing other sports growing up I was never really worried about sweat because 1) profuse sweat during those competitions was expected and 2) I wasn't out there in sweat soaked clothes for 5 hours, it was more like 2 hours maximum 

14 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

My dad didn't have sweat glands and I think I got his and mine both because I sweat a lot. I wear sweat wicking shirts and for underwear I wear ExOfficio and Jockey and both brands seem to work well.

Both of your guys sweat glands 🤣 I definitely feel your pain there. I hadn't heard of Exofficio before, I'll definitely give them a look. Thank you! 

Vero Beach, Florida here, so I'm well versed on this subject.  We've always made fun of snowbirds, but after this abnormally hot and humid summer, they seem to be the smarter ones.  So other than temporarily moving away from the more hot/humid regions, there's not much that can be done if you are a big time sweater like me.

I've tried/bought/wore every brand imaginable, Tommy Bahama, Under Armour, PUMA, and Travis Mathew are my current favorites.  But anything that says moisture wicking, be it Island Zone, DriFit, iSO chill, and so on, they need to be tested in Florida.  Heat + humidity + stagnant air, it doesn't matter what kind of "performance" clothing you wear.  When it's hot and humid, sweat cannot evaporate, especially if there isn't a breeze, if breezy, then it's kinda tolerable.  

This past weekend for example, Saturday I changed shirts at the turn, but Sunday I changed every 6 holes, still didn't matter.  In the southwest, I'm assuming the performance moisture wicking stuff works great.  Here in Florida, we are screwed in the summer months, just end up dealing with the dripping shorts and multiple shirts.  Light colors and loose fitting is the best advice, even if you can read a newspaper through the shirt because it's so "breathable", humidity is the enemy.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

21 minutes ago, Kmbond said:

This is great general advice and definitely helps me feel better and like I'm not going to pass out on very hot days. 

It still doesn't really do much for the sweat problem though! I guess I'll stick to black pants and shorts when it's super hot 😂 

Sweating is a good thing in this heat, it's when you stop sweating that's gonna be a problem. I think short of bringing a change of clothes, you gotta embrace the suck lol.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

The bigger issue of sweating is not proper clothing but compensating for water/sodium loss. In my younger days, I use to work on construction projects - they would give us salt tablets to retain water.  While I don't plan on using them while golfing in FL hot and humid conditions, I do plan on bringing salty snacks like pretzels. Also in a different thread I posted an article on Athletes hydrating an hour before an event. 

Here's an article on sodium compensation:

https://www.healthline.com/health/salt-tablets#use

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Hey Golf Buddy, everyone sweats and everyone sweats at different levels. I imagine it depends on what you eat and drink the day/night before your rounds as it's happened to me as well. It also depends on the humidity level the day you're playing as well as the clothes you're wearing. Some fabrics hold the heat while others let the body heat wick, keeping your body cooler. It's obvious but staying hydrated with the proper liquids is key. Water and, for me, Gatorade Zero seems to work best for me. Stay away from alcohol and energy drinks and you should be fine. Play well.

Down here in Tampa, It really doesn't matter what you wear. You will be soaked no matter what this time of year. One thing I started doing earlier this year was to add Liquid IV's to my bag. I do 2 to 3 a round and they are wonderful. I do not feel so wiped out after playing any more and they really do a great job of keeping me hydrated. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

I sweat profusely, I have numerous medical problems and I have to take a medication at night for my restless legs, and I looked up the side effects and excessive sweating is rare, but it happens. I starting sweating just on the putting green. I am soaked through to my boxers by the time I tee off.

I use the lightweight moisture wicking cloths, and I attach a Ryobi  fan to the cart, life saver. I also use Liquid IV, Hydrate plus at the recommendation of my DR. It has helped a lot. I got dehydrated twice last summer, before I started using it. 

Hope this helps, be careful, you can get in trouble with the heat we are having this year.

Taylor Made Stealth 2  Driver with ACCURA Senior flex, 42.5 grams

Ping G415 3 Wood

Callaway Epic 5 Wood

Ping G415 22* Hybrid

Sub70 699 irons

Aerotech Steel Fiber I70 graphite shafts an NO1 50 grips

Sub70 286 Forged wedges 54* and 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X putter with oversized Sweet Rollz grip

True Pro Lux and True Links Knit shoes

I will sweat some, but, to mitigate the discomfort I wear mostly hydrophobic materials (ie. avoid cotton, cotton blends). When it is warm I wear my Uniqlo Airism or Ex Officio boxer briefs, plus some sort of quick drying shorts. Adidas Ultimate365 shorts are great with a water repellant finish, and, quick drying.

I'd recommend some compression underwear with Callaway shorts, they're lightweight and look the part. I know they're sold on Amazon, I got mine from Costco at the beginning of the season.

I feel your pain - having an extra glove on deck is a must for me if it's 80+ degrees. 

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

We call it "self basting" or "making our own gravy."

I sweat quit a bit, but it's nothing compared to one of my regular playing partners.  On the first tee, he's been known to say "It's a two or three shirt day."  

Some tricks we've learned.  

1.  Baseball style hats are the worst.  They are hot and they trap the sweat so it can't evaporate.  Wear a visor or well ventilated sun hat.  

2.  Wear a bandana rolled up to make a head band under your hat.  When it gets soaked, wring it out.  All the sweat you wring out is sweat that would otherwise run down your back.  Use two and alternate one on your head and one airing out.

3.  Carry body wipes.  I use Hyper Go Full Body Wipes.  They are 12x12 inches and big enough to wipe your head and neck, arms, and your pits with one towel.  They cool you down as well.  They make you smell better so you're not as self conscious going Ito the clubhouse at the turn.  

4.  My playing partner will sometimes tuck a small, kitchen hand towel, half in and half out, in his belt at his lower back.  The towel basically rest up against his lower back.  He'll let his shirt hang loose over the towel.  It absorbs a lot of the sweat coming down his back that would other wise soak his shorts.  If the towel gets soaked, he'll wring it out and flip the towel so the part that was outside is on the inside to absorb his run-off.

5.  Have a designated sweat towel.  Wipe off excess run-off as you go.   

Living here in Florida, I agree with the others that everything dealing with heat should be tested here!! When I lived in Oklahoma I was used to playing in 110 degree heat, but now after living here for 13 years I have acclimated to Florida weather. I usually wear Under Armor Heat Gear under my moisture wicking shirts. They are compression fit so stays tight to my skin and keeps me cooler when I'm behind the fan I now carry. I find my Greg Norman shorts wick moisture real well. I just started using this Rigid fan (pic attached) that puts out a lot of air flow that helps dry out the wet clothes and keeps a breeze going through the cart. I also now drink a lot of fluids as well.RigidFan.jpg.d66375e01d61fb8371189e0347d7cf59.jpg

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

No particular clothing line to wear but the moisture wicking are preferred.  I have a mug of tea or lemonade to start, followed by 2 bottles of electrolyte mixes, plus cups of ice from the cart girl.  Of course, I look like I took a shower in my clothes, but that has always been the case no matter where I've played - by the way, I always play in pants, no shorts for me.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

As many people here have already stated, it's extremely important to stay hydrated out on the course, especially in hotter conditions. I typically stick with water or the occasional Gatorade if I need some electrolytes. Another big thing is making sure you're bringing a quality towel out with you. Even throwing an extra one in your bag/cart can help with sweaty hands, face, etc.

I became a member of Fabletics and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for great moisture-wicking clothing. Their boxers, shorts, shirts and socks are all great quality and reasonably priced. Target has also recently expanded their athleisure section and you can find some decent golf shorts and polos once in a while.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

22 hours ago, Kmbond said:

Both of your guys sweat glands 🤣 I definitely feel your pain there. I hadn't heard of Exofficio before, I'll definitely give them a look. Thank you! 

Exofficios are nice and light and work well. I picked mine up at REI.

BatCaddy X8R

26 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

Exofficios are nice and light and work well. I picked mine up at REI.

Thank you for also providing a retailer! Appreciate that additional detail. 

I’m assuming you would recommend them since you said they work well. Have you found any other brands that are similar and work as well? 

6 hours ago, Kmbond said:

Thank you for also providing a retailer! Appreciate that additional detail. 

I’m assuming you would recommend them since you said they work well. Have you found any other brands that are similar and work as well? 

You're welcome.

Yes, I would recommend them. I originally bought them for hiking and they work well for golf.

The other brand I wear is Jockey and they work well also.

BatCaddy X8R

For clothing = 

You'll have to find what works well for you, but for shirts I really like the Adidas Ultimate 365 line.  Their shorts are good too. 

I also got some Bonbos shorts - they are the best fitting shorts I have had and they hold up very well in the heat.

Adidas Performance Boxer Briefs

Darn Tough socks T4088

For a 1-2 knockout punch south of the border...I'll use a cream called Deez Nuts on my taint area and Formonda Powder all over the twig and berries.

Titleist Breezer bucket hat

Footjoy Rain glove - I use it all the time now over leather (can go thru 4 leather gloves in one hot humid round)...I can use one glove every day for a year before signs of wear and they do great in hot humid weather where you are sweating all day.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:13 AM, Kmbond said:

Hey all, is there anyone else out there that plays in moderately high temperatures and then, about 15-30 mins into a round, it looks like you just stepped out of a pool? Or is it just me? 

I’ve had quite a few rounds where my golf clothes are so wet that it’s uncomfortable to play. Shirts aren’t as bad as sweat soaked shorts.

A few questions for those others out there who sweat on the course…

What brand of clothes do you use to help reduce the impact of sweat during your found? Specifically worried about shorts but I’ll take shirt brand suggestions as well. 

Do you have any other tips or tricks for reducing the impact of sweat besides choosing the right brand of clothes? 

Thanks for the help in advance - my future self thanks anyone who has advice

Not just you. My head and face sweat profusely. I have to wash my ball cap/s all the time. I have never found any product that helps in this area.