Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Paper or Electronic Scorekeeping

Paper or Electronic Scorekeeping  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to keep your score electronically on an App? Or do you use the paper scorecards?

• Paper Scorecard
    • Electronic Scorecard

I'm just curious what people prefer. I've started to use apps and GPS and find it just convenient to tap the score in. Recently played with some people who, even with GPS, Preferred the paper scorecard.  

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

I do both. Allows me to double check my shot scope and right down notes (putts, putt distances, penalties, recovery situations etc….). For me leads to better stat tracking and learning. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

13 minutes ago, Shakeyfly said:

I'm just curious what people prefer. I've started to use apps and GPS and find it just convenient to tap the score in. Recently played with some people who, even with GPS, Preferred the paper scorecard.  

I actually use both.  My Garmin S40 keeps score, putts, & consequently UD and Scramble.  The Garmin App is pretty good about dealing out stats.  The S40 keeping score I only started with 40-50 rounds ago.  I still keep a paper scorecard, and keep track of putts, UD/SS,  Drives in Fairway, but I also have found that keeping my first putt distance has been key lately for tracking putts made/missed especially under 10 feet, when it come to putting practice.  I then enter these stats into a website called      FreeGolfTracker  where I have 280 or so scores entered.  My brother recently stopped keeping a paper scorecard when he finally got a device that keeps score.  I just can't seem to let the paper scorecard go, don't think I ever will.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Paper only for me.   The only tech I use on the course is a handheld gps distance device and occasionally a rangefinder.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I prefer a paper scorecard, although I do use electronic scoring at times.  For me, paper is essential when keeping track of multiple bets with my buddies.  In competitions, even when electronic scoring through Golf Genius is encouraged, the paper scorecard has always been the official score.  Keeping stats is a different matter, but I'm too lazy to keep stats.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

We use Golf Genius in our league rounds and tournaments but I also always keep a paper scorecard.  Like Dave it's the easiest way to keep track of bets and to double check I didn't fat finger a number in the electronic entry.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I still prefer paper.  If not for any other reason, at least so I have a hardcopy to hold onto if the round ends up being particularly good or I - or playing partners - card an eagle or hole-in-one.

The caveat is when I'm walking a solo round, I'll use my Garmin watch to keep score because it's much more convenient than shoving the card in my pocket and finding a place for the pencil.  I don't care much for the extra time inputting putts or whether I missed the fairway, etc., so there's no value in that for me.  I don't need data to tell me I lose strokes on the tee and I don't putt well.

Edited by Brooky03

Electronic only

Less paper equals more trees on the course....... Lol it's so much easier. Most courses here don't load carts or even pre emptively offer paper score cards. I work with several golf courses closely for work and they keep the paper score cards around for advertising dollars almost exclusively. One said its a wash for the customers to have the choice

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Electronic. Shot Scope X5 and GHIN app because the SS misses shots.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Electronic only for me. I find that being able to put score, putts, chips, and other little details in my phone or watch as I walk to the next tee convenient. I also enjoy being able to track shots so that I have a calculation of average distances for each club over time. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Electronic for me. 

I was going to get rid of Arccos this year and did my first 2 rounds on paper only....but my game actually kind of struggled without course mapping. Went back to Arccos and thats all I need! Even ditched my range finder after it broke. I have been enjoying playing to a spot on the green instead of pinning the flag and going at it (as long as the course has colored flags for location)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Was using ShotScope for a few years to track distances and shots - and recently set it aside. Honestly I tired of the post round editing and wasn't making full use of the stats...

The few things that I'm curious about my game .. at this point in time .. I can quickly jot on a scorecard and be done.

Also a little different but I note my hole scores as relative to par - eg. +1, etc. Maybe I'll give up even that and just go with little smiley or frownie faces 😄

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I use both and prefer it that way. Garmin watch more or less to get basic yardages, and input scores, but use the scorecards to record total strokes, putts, GIR's and fairways hits. Sometimes I will also record club selection on the paper scorecard for each shot played on all of the holes.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

I like paper scorecards personally.  I try to keep the electronics to a minimum when I'm on the course.  I track my stats and then once I have a few rounds put together, transfer the date to a spreadsheet.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I'm mostly electronic.  Started off playing with 18Birdies for the GPS.  Tried TheGrint a few years back when MGS was running a virtual tournament on it, but found it not as user friendly.  Got a ShotScope V3 and tried relying on it for scores, but it didn't track accurately enough.  When my buddy and I decided to establish a Handicap, we went back to TheGrint as it was the cheapest way to do it, and would update GHIN for us at the end of each round.  I've gotten used to it, though I mostly let him do the scoring. 

Another buddy we often play with is still a stickler for pushing the pencil.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

Been using GHIN exclusively, easier for me to keep track and read (and I like the stats).

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I use both. On paper besides total strokes, I count fairways from tee (including L/R), GIR, and number of putts. On the electronic side I just started using ShotScope (after a frustrating/ disappointing season with Garmin CT10s). I’m still learning all that ShotScope has to offer, and I’m not 100% confident that it tracks everything correctly. So at least for now, I’ll do both. What I like about electronic is the historical data and analysis. So I can get a sense of where to focus my practice and which parts of my game are working well. Most likely I’ll always do both just in case the watch batteries die out etc. 

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Old school for me, though we do use Golf Genius in mens league.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I'm 100% paper. I refer to the card map often during the round. I use gps for basic distances. It's part of my routine to add score after round figure gir and fairways hit, manually. Keep using brain so I don't loose it. No other reason. My routine to surprise myself at the end.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Electronic all the way for me. I get my distances via 18 Birdies and my Apple watch, and can then tap in my score and stats on my watch as I'm walking to the next hole. Easy peasy. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, Dweed said:

I'm 100% paper. I refer to the card map often during the round. I use gps for basic distances. It's part of my routine to add score after round figure gir and fairways hit, manually. Keep using brain so I don't loose it. No other reason. My routine to surprise myself at the end.

@Dweed even though I have a hybrid approach with paper and electronic I still carry a yardage book for my home course. Over time I’ve marked it for my landing zones for tee shots, 100 yard arc from the middle of the green, and it holds my list of current clubs with carry and distance. The electronics help, but the brain is what helps me with course management. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

On 9/21/2023 at 10:53 AM, Hacker60521 said:

@Dweed even though I have a hybrid approach with paper and electronic I still carry a yardage book for my home course. Over time I’ve marked it for my landing zones for tee shots, 100 yard arc from the middle of the green, and it holds my list of current clubs with carry and distance. The electronics help, but the brain is what helps me with course management. 

@Hacker60521 glad that works for you. Lot of good info there.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet