Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Odyssey Ai-ONE Putters - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy BOS

Went out after work and knocked out 9 holes finally got to actually play and I must say the facts and practice held true did not have one 3 putt which for me is a huge deal granted it was my first time on the course this year so my irons and tee shots were off but once I got to the green i was locked in I'm hoping with this new confidence on the green I can break 80 this year but we will see 

Edited by Blaine Dye

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

That's awesome!!! May this be the beginning of a fantastic season!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 minutes ago, Blaine Dye said:

Went out after work and knocked out 9 holes finally got to actually play and I must say the facts and practice held true did not have one 3 putt which for me is a huge deal granted it was my first time on the course this year so my irons and tee shots were off but once I got to the green i was locked in I'm hoping with this new confidence on the green I can break 80 this year but we will see 

Awesome to hear @Blaine Dye…glad to see the Ai-ONE worked well for you on the course!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 11/28/2023 at 2:48 AM, Blaine Dye said:

Hello everyone well as you can see by my username my name is Blaine Dye

image000000.jpg.c8c629c98c4750ed1d06c0b9062a0e38.jpg

I want to first thank MyGolfSpy and Odyssey  for this amazing just in time for christmas gift and oppurtuntity   I grew up in a small town outside of Joplin Missouri, But I now live in North west Arkansas which is where my love for golf has grown Me and my Amazing wife moved here about 2 years ago for a fresh start and the Apartment we found was on a golf course I was one of those people that was never interested in golf because it was SO EASY and BORING  boy was I wrong! It is the most fun and challenging game I have every played.

image000000.jpg

My new Favorite part of golf is watching my friends get into it and teaching them what I know so we can all have a great time.

The worst part of my game is definatly my putting but that also means I feel like I am perfect for this test because I have been putting a lot of time into my putting and im getting better I have become a big believer in the texas wedge off the green when my shot calls for it so finding a putter I trust will be a big boost hopefully this is it

So now to the test my current Gamer is a Wilson Harmonized putter and the Odyssey I was chosen for is the Double wide DB I went and did a putter fitting because I have been in the market for a putter for a while so im excited I was chosen for a putter that matches my specs I was given I am super excited to get this test going and give a honest review the biggest hope im going for is this putter will magically make me putt like tiger………. Just kidding im hoping that it feels good off the face and its rolling true im hoping the Claims are true and the loss of speed when it comes to a slight miss hit is true I don’t always hit the center like most of us.

If you have any Questions about something you want to see tested Let me know I try to golf 2-3 times per week but with this weather getting colder it will be a lot of matt time in the kitchen

First impression 19/20

I finally got my hands on this baby and man is it beautiful

rainbowpic.jpg.91ebc93f672882606566cb7f394d5e66.jpgcover.jpg.1d02eca9e62a1321502ac22077af096a.jpgaioneclubwithballsincup.jpg.173013b9527640268e6e831513a63f9e.jpg

Very timely shipping and its even better when you think about these were ordered around Christmas time but here's the results for day one

So I got the notification it came so of course I had to speed home and take it down to the practice green. One thing I really wanted to test was across the face how the speed changes because the biggest claim they make on this new putter is consistent  speed across the face and because if your like me you don’t always hit the dead center of the putter so there claim really intrigued me I started by going out two club lengths and tried my best to keep my swing the same the results are below

toehit.jpg.fb8d1bcea8ac33ca0ba92980decba767.jpgcenterhitforreal.jpg.5da6e01edac9b241eb7645b5b248b0b6.jpg10feetwithhittingincenter.jpg.d0fcd383d56316f5e1b22cd05f85fbf2.jpg

toe hit                                                                                         center hit                                                                                 heel hit 

I did notice that the center is still king on day one but I'm going to go more in-depth  into this putter and going to also just have some fun with this test so come along for the ride!

I took away 1 points simply because When I opened my package all it was was my putter and my receipt I feel like it should be protected in some way while it is being shipped

FINAL REVIEW ( pictures to be uploaded later tonight)

Aesthetics (8 out of 10

Don’t get me wrong this putter is beautiful I took a point off because the step in the actual putter itself when I’m looking down on the ball is a little bit of an eye sore for me personally, I’m getting used to it but the stairstep in it is just not it for me. On a positive note, I love the Blue on the putter and on the cover, it pops and stands out the magnets in the cover are strong and secure and all in all the putter looks fantastic and the Window in the putter is a bonus point to me because it makes the putter unique! And as far as the sound of the putter that is where I took the other point when you hit the center as you are supposed to the putter is very quiet to me but its when you hit the outside or where the insert meets the club it makes the click noise almost like when you tap a key on a piece of metal. The speed control is still there its just the noise that I can’t get behind. The Feel of this putter I almost wanted to give the 2 points back it has been a game changer for me I feel so confident standing over this putter and it’s a feeling I’ve never had…… Confidence while putting. I feel as if I can hit it anywhere and taking out the user error its going at the speed and line, I wanted it to

The Numbers (10 out of 10)

Now granted I haven’t got to play a lot of rounds with this putter just practice green and at home putting but as I stated above my confidence in this putter is amazing and I think that has to do with the speed control and balance it has. On the practice green I have noticed my make range go out about 2-3 foot from where it was and my number of 3 putts is almost non existent which coming from the guy who 3 putts at least 3-4 times a round that is saving me strokes hopefully once spring hits and the weather is better I can get on the course and not just the practice green and really find out if I’m just getting to know my practice green to well or if this putter is really the answer I’ve been looking for I’ve always believed it’s the Indian not the arrow but having a well made arrow really does make a difference     the Forgiveness on this putter is great I’m not one to always hit the center and knowing I can hit a little off center and still get the same roll out/ speed is a great feeling I no longer stress so much about hitting the center and can focus more on other things like my speed or alignment. My biggest surprise of my testing was the Double wide coming out of the fringe or fairway it picks the ball so smooth and get it rolling down the path you put it on i think it has to do with the hitting edge but its almost like the putter has a bounce built into it because through all the testing time I never dug it into the ground

On-Course (20 out of 20)

Like I stated above I did not have a lot of on the course time with the putter but this putter I feel amazing when I’m standing over the ball looking at a 15 footer I no longer think okay just lag this close in my head the only thing I’m thinking of is what club am I hitting next because I’m going to make this that’s how it feels but I do focus on my putt having that confidence has made me actually enjoy putting and starting to practice putting…. putting has always been the worst part of my game and I can say I think that will be changing soon because the confidence and the forgiveness this putter gives me makes me want to go out and practice more.

On the practice green from long distance away my 3 putting is almost nonexistent thanks to this putter so as I do not have a lot of data that shows it, I believe it will help my score be lower as I am typical to 3 putt multiple times a round. Honestly when I started this test, I was skeptical I had been doing a lot of research and I was going to buy either a Scotty or a LAB putter looking back now I am so happy because this putter has far exceeded my expectations as far as speed control and forgiveness Odyssey really did an amazing job on this putter!

The Good, the bad, the in-between (19 out of 20)

This will be short sweet and to the point the putter is amazing with a few draw backs for me personally like the stairstep in the club easily could have been fixed just picking a different model and for me personally I think the grip is to skinny I like the big fat grips but again just picking and installing a new grip on it fixes that The only thing that I can’t fix is the ping when you hit off center…. O WAIT I can fix that just hit the putter in the middle but the technology and advancement going from a Wilson harmonized to the AI-ONE it’s not even close which brings me to…….

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

I mean was there ever a doubt if you have been reading this far the AI-ONE is the clear winner here and has defiantly earned a spot in my bag the forgiveness, speed control and tech along with the confidence this putter gives me is just too much to ignore so ole betty (the name of my Wilson) is getting replaced.

Conclusion

All in all this putter is amazing and you can tell that Odyssey really put the tine in went to work on creating a great product my only issues with the putter were personal ones like the step in the model I got (double wide DB) and the grip being to skinny for me at the beginning there was a issue with the putter being to light but once I got use to that I think there is a reason for it. And the slight ping sound when you hit it off the edges or where the insert meets the club…….  I think if you are in the market for a putter don’t overlook the Odyssey AI-one line because not only are they a good-looking putter, but they are ULTRA forgiving and great at getting a consistent speed no matter where on the face you hit it! Thank you so much for reading and like always if you have any questions feel free to reach out to ask questions

Final Score (96 out of 100)

Screenshot_20240206_164127_Camera Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20240206_164154_Camera Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20240206_164133_Camera Connect.jpg

20240205_161530.jpg

Screenshot_20240206_164326_Camera Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20240206_164248_Camera Connect.jpg

Great review and awesome feedback!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

@Rob Person @Blaine Dye @buckpillar

If you were selected for this test today, would you change the model you would want to test?

The new releases add some variety to choose from!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

30 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

If you were selected for this test today, would you change the model you would want to test?

30 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Great question, I would want actually 2 models, I would want the AI#1 CH but with NO Hosel and the double bend shaft directly into the putter head, and the DB with the same Shaft.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

41 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Great question!  And I've mentioned this several times throughout the test, but will preempt by saying I have ZERO REGRETS about the DB!

If it was currently in the options, I am probably one of the few that would not choose a jailbird/jb mini.

I would more than likely go with the Rossie S midmallet that I shared images of a few times in this test. I would probably stay with the DB also, if it was in the plumbers neck!!!

**I did offer to ship/swap putters with anyone who wanted to try the DB out to see if it would work, or that we're not happy with theirs. This included the milled testers too**

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

The JB Mini CH and Rosie S look interesting to me, but they don’t have them in LH…oh well!

But I too have no regrets with the 7S…I am extremely happy with my choice and the results.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

8 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

I also haveNO regrets,  I'm extremely happy and satisfied with what I have and would not change. 

Edited by buckpillar

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

@Blaine Dye @Rob Person @TJ Hall

Gentlemen, 

The texture on the face of the White Hot face of the putter is awesome, what would you think if they would make the texture more like a milled putter face? 

Do you think it would make the putter even more consistent?

IMG_4093.JPG

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

3 hours ago, buckpillar said:

@Blaine Dye @Rob Person @TJ Hall

Gentlemen, 

The texture on the face of the White Hot face of the putter is awesome, what would you think if they would make the texture more like a milled putter face? 

Do you think it would make the putter even more consistent?

IMG_4093.JPG

Not sure…I’m guessing the computer said this was the correct texture to use!

With the insert being softer overall, my first thought would be durability…seems like there wouldn’t be much material if the insert was “milled.”  

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean making the white urethane face more like the milled design?

Or

Do you mean replacing just the white hot face with a milled face?  I haven't tried a milled AI One putter yet, but do recognize that the milled face has a a completely different AI insert. 

Edited by Rob Person

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean making the white urethane face more like the milled design?

Or

Do you mean replacing just the white hot face with a milled face?  I haven't tried a milled AI One putter yet, but do recognize that the milled face has a a completely different AI insert. 

I don't want to replace the white hot face.. no way.

Making the White hot insert molded with the milled texture.. the white hot already has a texture on it even though not much. I was just thinking if it would make a difference if the white hot insert was formed in the way the milled is surfaced.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

4 hours ago, buckpillar said:

I don't want to replace the white hot face.. no way.

Making the White hot insert molded with the milled texture.. the white hot already has a texture on it even though not much. I was just thinking if it would make a difference if the white hot insert was formed in the way the milled is surfaced.

Ahhh. I understand now. I think a different texture on the face would look cooler!

but personally don't think it will change the results.

I saw where Clark's new AI JailBird putter appears to have the smooth black insert that the Odyssey X series had in theirs. 

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I saw where Clark's new AI JailBird putter appears to have the smooth black insert that the Odyssey X series had in theirs.

That would explain the black face when they were showing him with the new putter at Pebble.  Is the solid black insert the same as the black insert in my old DF 992: 

IMG_7679.jpeg.89ec36a6bf6a31a1b5dde927f2356e76.jpeg

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

That would explain the black face when they were showing him with the new putter at Pebble.  Is the solid black insert the same as the black insert in my old DF 992: 

I'm thinking it could be the upgraded Df X series one, or perhaps even an unreleased version of the white-hot (but in black)

download(1).jpeg.634d21b347d0c15459f13cd454a1ff06.jpegdownload.jpeg.015e7368c1cb10ecdf805ae80218fb26.jpegwyndham-clark-pebble-beach.jpg.e75a9105d5494d58a8f17695feb449a6.jpg

15 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I'm thinking it could be the upgraded Df X series one, or perhaps even an unreleased version of the white-hot (but in black)

download(1).jpeg.634d21b347d0c15459f13cd454a1ff06.jpegdownload.jpeg.015e7368c1cb10ecdf805ae80218fb26.jpegwyndham-clark-pebble-beach.jpg.e75a9105d5494d58a8f17695feb449a6.jpg

I agree, likely the same as the white insert just colored differently…the joys of being a pro!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 2/12/2024 at 2:52 PM, Willie T said:

@Willie T , I recently watched an Odyssey putter restoration on you Tube that had the black insert, to my surprise that insert is poured into the face which I didn't know. I thought they were pressed in. but it was pretty cool to see it get melted out and then replaced. if I find the video again I will definitely share with everyone.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

5 hours ago, buckpillar said:

@Willie T , I recently watched an Odyssey putter restoration on you Tube that had the black insert, to my surprise that insert is poured into the face which I didn't know. I thought they were pressed in. but it was pretty cool to see it get melted out and then replaced. if I find the video again I will definitely share with everyone.

Thanks man.  Those restoration videos are really fun to watch…

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

2 hours ago, Willie T said:

Thanks man.  Those restoration videos are really fun to watch…

I'm going to have to find those videos as I'm interested.  My putting green has arrived and I've been using my Ai 2 ball.  I love it!  I hope they don't make a left hand in the 7 because I'd buy that one too.  lol

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

So I took a very wee small hiatus from the DB to play around with a new blade milled face putter. Boy was that different for me, but successful.

I will be back to the DB this week, and I hope I can be forgiven for my trespasses... 🤪 

11 hours ago, Rob Person said:

So I took a very wee small hiatus from the DB to play around with a new blade milled face putter. Boy was that different for me, but successful.

I will be back to the DB this week, and I hope I can be forgiven for my trespasses... 🤪 

I am sure DB will forgive as long as you never ever mention the “milled face floozie” again -  putters are finicky like that you know….

Edited by Willie T

10 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

I'm going to have to find those videos as I'm interested.  My putting green has arrived and I've been using my Ai 2 ball.  I love it!  I hope they don't make a left hand in the 7 because I'd buy that one too.  lol

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Credit for the refurbish job!  Not a fan of what colors he used.  But that putter is one of the best they produced imo. 

As for wyndham's putter, I still think it's an insert like the white-hot or milled versions

1 hour ago, buckpillar said:

Can't wait to see your green build!

8 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

I just bought one off Amazon.  It’s 8 feet long with a little uphill putt.  I’m going to get a little putting cup for flat putts as well. 

I use the PuttOut Pressure Trainer…we have different opinions of what a “perfect” putt is, but it definitely helped me focus on speed and feel with the putter.  Used it for each of my indoor sessions with the Ai-ONE.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter