Getting ridiculous

8 hours ago, rhaze91 said:

Has golf jumped the shark to a degree?  Seeing even this site talking about an $80 hat, serious?  I saw somewhere a review on $400 golf pants.   This is a joke, a pair of pants almost half the price of a new set of clubs.  

I have a tough time getting family members who would be new to the game because of the elitist stigma then I see this.   Maybe I'm turning into old man yelling at clouds but what the heck is going on

The price of a nice round of golf to splurge for my high school kid would be almost $500 for two and it's a joke that this is "public".    Sorry for the rant but damn.

Oh I definitely agree. However the deeper you get into golf, the more you realize you really don't need much more than the basics to simply play the game. 

Want vs Need: That is one of the biggest issues since the beginning of time. Necessity will get you by.

I myself am a bargain hunter. I shop goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales,  clearance online sales, and sites like temu, etc. Some things you just can't knock quality with,  and others you can. Example, rain gear- this is something i dont own (for golf purposes) but if I buy a $20 plastic suit, I'm going to be feeling like a sauna after 10 minutes, uncomfortable,  not breathable material, etc

Will I spend 400 on one? Nope! But I will hunt down a bargain somewhere , and if I can't find one, I'll do without until I do.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Actually agree with both sides, crazy high prices, but you don't have to pay them, my question has always been is the quality, performance, improvement worth it, or even necessary ? 

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

11 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

anyhow: I agree with @rhaze91  Since the rise in popularity (i.e. Covid onwards) it seems that people realize that there is a segment of the golfing population that is willing to spend - and spend a lot - on golf gear. And of course like all things prices will continue to rise until consumers stop buying

I agree with this so much and it feels like more and more businesses are not trying to grow the number of people but focus on their core market and see how much they will pay. Moving less units but making more for each unit. Need to keep those eyes out for deals wherever you can.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Look into other hobbies and see how expensive things can get if one chooses. 

Or secondary markets for some putters, putter covers, golf bags. Look at knives which there is a pretty good population of collectors and you will see knives sell out quick and for a lot of money.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I’m not necessarily a thrift shopper but I am notorious for buying stuff only when it’s on sale. Callaway, Adidas, Puma, Travis Matthew, and the list goes on, can all be had for 30%-70% off if you watch closely and stay patient. Maybe once or twice a year will I pay full price for something. But yes, it does seem like men’s clothing has skyrocketed compared to what it used to cost 10 years ago. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 hour ago, RTH1 said:

Actually agree with both sides, crazy high prices, but you don't have to pay them, my question has always been is the quality, performance, improvement worth it, or even necessary ? 

And this is why i am playing 25 year old irons that are a combo mb/cb….  

oh and I would not call myself a thrift shopper, but I definitely do some sort of cost benefit mental debate on most purchases. 

Edited by Another Steve

1 hour ago, RTH1 said:

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

I am in the camp of you dont have to buy that. Of course its going to be on this site, its all golf stuff....

Personally I go with bang for you buck. I am not going to buy cheap stuff just becuase its cheap. I will wait for the deals on quality clothes/material. Example Under Armor at the end of seasons always ALWAYS does up to 80% stuff. I got 5 quarter zips last spring/summer for less than $100. Titelist golf caps, amazon had a deal last year where I purchased 2 for less than $40. I also only play an "expensive" round a few times a year and its a treat with family or friends. Other than that I get my 18 in for sub $50 every week.

All in what you want. If you want that $80 hat then have at it, but I am sure many of us will not purchase it.

^^These^^

We're all fish in the Sea of Commerce. What bait and lures we choose to bite is largely our decision.  I'm a value buyer and if I don't feel the value justifies the price, I look elsewhere.   

Disclaimer; I had to refresh myself on the term "jump the shark"... that's a pretty skookum idiom 😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

2 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

And this is why i am playing 25 year old irons that are a combo mb/cb….  

I'm playing an inherited set, with only 2 wedges and putter being a recent change. 

The only thing I'm seriously considering is a driver, (after I fix my swing)

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

29 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I agree with this so much and it feels like more and more businesses are not trying to grow the number of people but focus on their core market and see how much they will pay. Moving less units but making more for each unit. Need to keep those eyes out for deals wherever you can.

Ah, missed this aspect...good point.  I'd hate to see golf get pulled into the draft of the relative few who mindlessly spend money on products and drive inflation.  To the OP's underlying point, golf has long had a stigma of being an expensive, affluent sport... I for one would hate to see that become reality.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

To the OP's underlying point, golf has long had a stigma of being an expensive, affluent sport... I for one would hate to see that become reality.

Hate to break it to ya, but it IS an expensive, affluent sport if you want to play nice, well cared for courses that aren’t over booked and backed up all round. 

the courses us ‘po folk play will more closely resemble the original sheep pastures where the game originated than what we’ve come to know /expect golf to be from what we see on tv. Our fairways are just the rough that was cut with a slightly lower blade setting and our tee boxes are more divot than grass. We pay out the azz for the privilege of them shoving as many groups as possible onto the course. 

2 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

Hate to break it to ya, but it IS an expensive, affluent sport if you want to play nice, well cared for courses that aren’t over booked and backed up all round. 

the courses us ‘po folk play will more closely resemble the original sheep pastures where the game originated than what we’ve come to know /expect golf to be from what we see on tv. Our fairways are just the rough that was cut with a slightly lower blade setting and our tee boxes are more divot than grass. We pay out the azz for the privilege of them shoving as many groups as possible onto the course. 

Define expensive? It’s all relative to where ones lives and then economy around it. I play several courses when I visit my family that live in smallish blue collar town that are $85ish dollars. It might be a bit expensive for that area but it’s cheap for someone who plays in an area where courses run $105+ 

Even at $105-125 I don’t consider that expensive and play courses in that range on a regular basis. These courses are full tee sheets on the weekend. 

I also play courses in the same area that run $60-75 and are in just as good of shape as the $125 courses. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I don't know where you're playing that is $250 a pop for a "nice" course, but you're being raked over the coals at that rate.

I was shocked when I started trying to book tee times last week for our yearly trip to a warmer place in the winter.  We are headed to Palm Springs next week, and Yes I know that is a pricey are to play golf.  I've been there every other year for the past 8 years.  There are courses that are easily over $250 a pop... for my wife and I that's $500.  We typically have looked for courses and deals that were around $80-120.  

This year there is virtually nothing in that range unless you booked weeks in advance.  Courses I played two years ago are now $150+ and two weeks out, they are booked until twilight and then it's still $100 with no guarantee of finishing before dark.  Many of the top end courses are in the $400+ range.  Many years ago I played PGA West Nicklaus Tournament course for $100.  Today the rate at 12:50pm is $445 and the next tee time is 1:20pm for $120.

I have to seriously think about future travel plans based on cost of golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

43 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

I see you're in SouthWest Pennsylvania. 
I did a google search for golf courses in southwest pa
I found plenty to choose from and clicked on this one - https://www.golfglengarry.com/

image.png.977f8ece87a3384e160d7ea50fbf5129.png

These are the rates:

image.png.3c40b469485ad5b9a2d935dbdbe82b2f.png

I would *kill* to play these rates! Not a course around me offering these.

I'm not sure what you're looking for but it sure seems like there are options around you ...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Everything is expensive these days, but there are always deals to be had.  

Yes, in general golf is a more expensive sport but there are plenty of ways to make it affordable.  

Clubs - FB Marketplace, CPO, Craigslist all sell golf equipment cheap all the time.  I have bought a ton of barely used clubs from these places.

Clothing - Costco, Amazon, etc. all have great options for cheap but quality clothing.

Golf Rounds - Golfnow constantly has deals every single day.  I have played for as little as $15 for 18 holes with cart.  

It all boils down to how bad do you want to play.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Define expensive? It’s all relative to where ones lives and then economy around it. I play several courses when I visit my family that live in smallish blue collar town that are $85ish dollars. It might be a bit expensive for that area but it’s cheap for someone who plays in an area where courses run $105+ 

Even at $105-125 I don’t consider that expensive and play courses in that range on a regular basis. These courses are full tee sheets on the weekend. 

I also play courses in the same area that run $60-75 and are in just as good of shape as the $125 courses. 

I have courses that range from $25- $160 within an hour of me. Some are top notch, some are great on tee and greens only, and some are garbage. Then some top tier courses have program cards or discount cards that bring the rates down. 

ie, the course I play at (RTJ alabama) you could pay $45 for a yearly "trail card", and were able to play a course that is $110+ per round, for only $54, across their network of courses.

Others partake in online rebate tee times (golfnow, golfbuddy, etc) that provide you with the best rates, based on when they have low volume, to fill the schedule.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Expensive is definitely a relative term. Both in terms what one can afford and what your area can demand. I see $80 as the beginning of expensive golf and only pay that much if I’m on vacation and it’s factored into the overall cost or if I’m going to splurge on myself. My normal is $40-$70 with an occasional round dipping down into the $30s every now and then. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

9 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

ie, the course I play at (RTJ alabama) you could pay $45 for a yearly "trail card", and were able to play a course that is $110+ per round, for only $54, across their network of courses.

What a deal! I wish more courses near me had a program like that.
Clearly a lot of it is regional. Seems funny that there seems to be some sort of a correlation to housing prices. 

But if you use @Kenny B example, there are some places that just keep raising the rates but the courses pretty much are the same. 
An odd situation where you can't point to something 'more' you are getting for the price. 

I was in Carmel about 25 years ago and walked on the beach right next to Pebble. I even walked up onto the course for fun. I swore I'd be back one day to play it, but now... ha! forget it. It's impossible.

Sadly, course owners are going to continue to gouge the customer and use these places like a cash cow. 

Demand pricing? Seriously? 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

16 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Expensive is definitely a relative term. Both in terms what one can afford and what your area can demand. I see $80 as the beginning of expensive golf and only pay that much if I’m on vacation and it’s factored into the overall cost or if I’m going to splurge on myself. My normal is $40-$70 with an occasional round dipping down into the $30s every now and then. 

Exactly. I have had conversations with a friend I used to play with all the time. We would drive up to 1.5 hours to play on a weekend and the range was anywhere $100/-125. He would play some courses within that distance that were $60-85 that are good courses but outside of what’s considered the metro area. He has played less because it’s $100+ before he’s out the door and he’s doing pretty well financially. He was just tired of paying those fees and having to drive an hour.

We are fortunate that even our munis are usually well kept 

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I was shocked when I started trying to book tee times last week for our yearly trip to a warmer place in the winter.  We are headed to Palm Springs next week, and Yes I know that is a pricey are to play golf.  I've been there every other year for the past 8 years.  There are courses that are easily over $250 a pop... for my wife and I that's $500.  We typically have looked for courses and deals that were around $80-120.  

This year there is virtually nothing in that range unless you booked weeks in advance.  Courses I played two years ago are now $150+ and two weeks out, they are booked until twilight and then it's still $100 with no guarantee of finishing before dark.  Many of the top end courses are in the $400+ range.  Many years ago I played PGA West Nicklaus Tournament course for $100.  Today the rate at 12:50pm is $445 and the next tee time is 1:20pm for $120.

I have to seriously think about future travel plans based on cost of golf.

Jeeber's Kenny, that is quite a price escalation...certainly way beyond inflation.  It's always been a supply & demand model but it does seem that certain commoditites have run wild and borderline pure price gouging.  Our courses here are $125 for non-resident/guest, public play during winter peak season... I think that's high.  They are really nice course, but still.

42 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I have courses that range from $25- $160 within an hour of me. Some are top notch, some are great on tee and greens only, and some are garbage. Then some top tier courses have program cards or discount cards that bring the rates down. 

Others partake in online rebate tee times (golfnow, golfbuddy, etc) that provide you with the best rates, based on when they have low volume, to fill the schedule.

That’s the way to do it. I think Myrtle Beach has something similar for locals.