Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

What Is The Most You Would Pay For A Putter?

GolfSpy_APH

Let's say the fitting is free or was included in the purchase price, what is your limit? How much is too much?

What putter would it be?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I do not have a max but I no longer buy brand new clubs. My main putters of choice in the past have been PING and Mizuno TP models but with modern day variable weighted putters I’ve become very brand loyal to EDEL putters. Their openness with the sharing of their putter fitting theories on social media have turned me into a putter tinkerer and my putting performance has shown continuous improvement going on 2yrs. EDEL wedges are on my radar next. 

John S., Baltimore MD - Honma TR20 Driver, 4w, 7w, irons - Edel EAS putter and wedges

29 minutes ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

I wouldn't pay whole bunch for a putter. I think it is the user and not the operator when it comes to putting. I paid a little over $100 for my Odyssey OG 7 and it is a fantastic putter. I don't know if a Scotty would make a difference at double the cost.

I upgraded my 25 year old putter last year and spent $180 on a TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Soto. It's a clear upgrade over what I had been using and I'm putting better using it, but am I putting better because of the putter or because I play more often and I'm taking more time lining up my putts? I suspect it's the latter and can't imagine spending $300+ on a putter.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

The most I paid for a putter was the cobra putter I had that I traded in. that was like 300 but I got it at golf galaxy and was able to use my reward points on it to bring it down to 250 and then traded in a few clubs to bring that price down closer to 180. The ping I just got I traded in my cobra and the push cart I don't use and paid 80 bucks for it. It is a 2023 putter but was still in the plastic. So it was brand new.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

My Limit is $500. The last putter I purchased was my Sacks Parente 54MH and it was $399.95 + tax. The loft and lie were adjusted to my fitting specifications. I'm happy with it, but still miss a blade every once in a while. 

Greg O'Connor

If the fitting is free, I would likely go with whatever the fitter suggested as long as it made sense and was unbiased. I currently game a Ai-One Seven, which has changed the way I put in such a good way. Cut my putting strokes down by a 1/3, probably due to the confidence I feel with it. I sent 299.99 on that one, but debated on going milled which could have been another 100 dollars, so i could see myself paying 450 to 500 on a putter. 

Samuel Hanvey 

I currently have or had 4 putters that costs $1200,2500 and 2 at $3000. Along with a other that was $700.

I would have no problem paying $10k for a full GSS Scotty 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I love putters so this comes down to thoughts on putters in general.  As has been mentioned putters are used for 40-50% of the strokes we take on the course.  That could make the price consideration equal to a driver or irons.  The other thought is that the putter is just a head on a stick so anything would work if the player is willing to develop the human skills associated with putting. 

that said, putter just to play golf would cap at $400.  Way more than it needs to be because I could find an inexpensive putter that I could aim well and effectively start the ball on intended line.   I switch putters just to switch so it will always change.   

the other side would be building something custom that is unique to me.  This gets into the art side of putters.   I’d probably go $2500 for something that falls into this category and it probably would be the last putter I buy.  This putter doesn’t exist..  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

this is a very interesting question...

with a driver, you can gain appreciable differences. i.e. 10 more yards usually means 1 club less but with a putter I don't see how you can find these appreciable differences. 

If you're a competent putter and are "in the ballpark" you're probably going to be good at lag putting and short putts with a number of different putters. It's been proven that you should temper your expectations for making long putts. 😁

I've spoken with people about the LAB putters - both fitters and users - watched a lot of videos, and it seems that the tech is legit...but at nearly 500 dollars is it that much better than a 2 to 3 hundred dollar putter? How many strokes will you save per round? 1-2? 5 or more? I've tried them all and the DF3 is amazing.

I'm skeptically optimistic but I think you can do almost as well with a putter that's half the price. I cringe at paying more than 200 for a putter. But I'm cheap when it comes to golf stuff and rarely ever buy anything new. 

FWIW I was fit into a Scotty at Club Champion several years ago and the OTD price was 449 ‼️ .... I called and asked if there was anything similar that wasn't as expensive. 😆

Edited by StrokerAce

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

It really does depend on the OEM if it’s something that is expensive works ok  and  there is not so good customer service then I’m not paying for it! (For example) Lombardi and SUB70 have great putters and even if they raised the price I would pay for it! But again it all depends!

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

Got me thinking this topic….

For me, it’s not about the price so much (but does have a bearing) - before I invest in any major piece of kit - I always ask myself - is this particular item going to improve me overnight, or is it more technical and lessons needed… so I use my coach (who luckily has good connections across the trade) for his view as he knows my game…  

Been stung with impulse buys then having to sell on.. maybe you have a coach / pro friend you can lean on for advice?

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

18 minutes ago, Golfallday7fore said:

I thought I had issues. 😂

I’m an amateur when it comes to spending money.

being part of a scotty Cameron enthusiast group and there is one guy that last time I checked has almost 90 circle t putters with some being unique one off never done after setups with hoses or type of neck.

The number of bags that people in that group have could be mind blowing for non collector/enthusiasts.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m an amateur when it comes to spending money.

being part of a scotty Cameron enthusiast group and there is one guy that last time I checked has almost 90 circle t putters with some being unique one off never done after setups with hoses or type of neck.

The number of bags that people in that group have could be mind blowing for non collector/enthusiasts.

There's always gonna be someone else that spends more............... at least that's what I tell my wife lol

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

32 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

There's always gonna be someone else that spends more............... at least that's what I tell my wife lol

True. I remember for one of the serape bags that had a few different color patterns, he bought all of them on the secondary market so was paying upwards of 3-4x the price of the release for each 

Before I found out about LAB and have really dove into their products and research, i never would spend more than $250 on a putter because I feel there is not much tech difference between most putter brands. I truly believe what they have created has actual technological differences than most putters so I am willing to pay more. Stock LAB's are around $450 and custom adds another $100 or so. I saved up and am willing to pay it. You use your putter the most our of any club and can be a big reason to score better if you can 3 putt less. I would say my cap would be $600 or so. 

:ping-small: G400 Max, 9°, hzrdus smoke black

:ping-small: G425 Max 5W, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: G425 4H, Stock Stiff

:taylormade-small: M4 5H, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: i210 5-PW, Blue Dot, Stock Stiff

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Kushin C

:taylormade-small: TP5x Pix

:Arccos: Sensors

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor

This has been a very interesting read, and I feel less like a cheapskate than I did when I started. 😄

I'm of the mind that it's the indian and not the arrow. A good putter can adapt to anything that's put in their hands. They can learn the look at address and the distances the putter gives based on the input provided. Even if the look and feel aren't the best, a good putter will make it work.

Having said that, I can see paying upwards of about $350 for a putter. I got my LAB DF2.1 for under $300 at Christmas on the outlet, new. Doesn't have the upgraded shaft, but I haven't found over the years that I need such things.

My Sub70 002 was $100 used and it's a great felling club. My Carbite DD was $100 new in 2000 and I played it well for 20+ years. Both are base steel shafts with upgraded SuperStroke grips. Nothing fancy, they just work for me. We'll see how the LAB works.

I did just order a Maltby Momentum X Tour putter with steel shaft and same SuperStroke grip as my Sub70 for $160, all new and built by them. So I just don't see the need to spend stupid money on a putter.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

3 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

This has been a very interesting read, and I feel less like a cheapskate than I did when I started. 😄

I'm of the mind that it's the indian and not the arrow. A good putter can adapt to anything that's put in their hands. They can learn the look at address and the distances the putter gives based on the input provided. Even if the look and feel aren't the best, a good putter will make it work.

Having said that, I can see paying upwards of about $350 for a putter. I got my LAB DF2.1 for under $300 at Christmas on the outlet, new. Doesn't have the upgraded shaft, but I haven't found over the years that I need such things.

My Sub70 002 was $100 used and it's a great felling club. My Carbite DD was $100 new in 2000 and I played it well for 20+ years. Both are base steel shafts with upgraded SuperStroke grips. Nothing fancy, they just work for me. We'll see how the LAB works.

I did just order a Maltby Momentum X Tour putter with steel shaft and same SuperStroke grip as my Sub70 for $160, all new and built by them. So I just don't see the need to spend stupid money on a putter.

A prime example of indian not the arrow is PGA Tour pro Taylor Montgomery. He has had the same putter for years and even spray paints it himself every once and a while. But man is putting more fun with a pretty putter lol

TaylorMontgomeryPaintPutterWRX.jpg.3d754ae981591e7e4a9380eec43c2821.jpg

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

I don’t change putters very often, have only had 4 total in my golf life…most I spent was $175.  I would probably go upwards of $450 if the feel and consistency were there.

I would also putt with a sledgehammer if I made more putts with it!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

6 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

'm of the mind that it's the indian and not the arrow. A good putter can adapt to anything that's put in their hands. They can learn the look at address and the distances the putter gives based on the input provided. Even if the look and feel aren't the best, a good putter will make it work.

Ask Rickie Fowler how that worked out. He went from being a good putter to not being able to putt well at all despite using various putters.