Going to start walking courses instead of riding - Any advice?

Walking is one of the best parts of golf! Enjoy!

mirroring many others here but here are my recommendations:

1) shoes, comfy and you have spikes you’ll be changing them more often.

2) water. Get a nice water bottle that fits in your bag and highly recommend electrolytes 

3) Snacks, I typically play morning rounds and I’ll pack an Apple, banana, and crackers if not a few other things

4) enjoy the walk! I think you’ll find that walking and seeing the course from a different angle will help you. Watch all the different nuances of the course!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Byrnzee said:

I will say I used to be strongly against push carts. At the end of the day, you want to do what makes the golf experience most enjoyable for you. I don't mind carrying my bag, but ever since I've gotten a push cart, it's a game changer lol (I'm only 30 and will proudly use my push cart)

Your next game changer is an electric push cart. I used to carry my clubs, then I got a ClicGear. I had it for about 12 years, made a couple of repairs on it like a brake cable and the handle broke. When it was time for the next fix, I decided to buy a new one or get an electronic push club. I decided to go with the electronic cart. That was a game changer. You can walk with the cart or let it go ahead of you. Wow. what a difference. I live in The 3rd windiest city in the world so not having to push the cart into the wind was a bonus. Now I can just hold onto it and I don't have to push it. They aren't that expensive for a regular one. They can get expensive if you want but mine was only about $500-600 US. Definitely worth thinking about. At my club, most people are changing from manual push cart to electronic push carts. You're never too young for a push cart.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.

This is all amazing! Thank you, guys. 🥹

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

5 minutes ago, brogies said:

This is all amazing! Thank you, guys. 🥹

Keep us updated on how it goes for you! I’m not sure when I’ll finally decide to break my push cart out and walk but I would like to know how you like it!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

35 minutes ago, skeough20 said:

Your next game changer is an electric push cart. I used to carry my clubs, then I got a ClicGear. I had it for about 12 years, made a couple of repairs on it like a brake cable and the handle broke. When it was time for the next fix, I decided to buy a new one or get an electronic push club. I decided to go with the electronic cart. That was a game changer. You can walk with the cart or let it go ahead of you. Wow. what a difference. I live in The 3rd windiest city in the world so not having to push the cart into the wind was a bonus. Now I can just hold onto it and I don't have to push it. They aren't that expensive for a regular one. They can get expensive if you want but mine was only about $500-600 US. Definitely worth thinking about. At my club, most people are changing from manual push cart to electronic push carts. You're never too young for a push cart.

Third windiest? I guess you don't live in Cheyenne Wyoming 🤣. I am pretty sure Cheyenne is the windiest city in the world. It's been crazy this year.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I play in a league Thurs nights that starts in a couple weeks, which is 9 holes once a week, so I’ll start out walking that each week. Also want to walk on some Saturday early mornings but I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Consider the course first.  Old courses with nothing else inside the property perimeter are usually pretty walkable.  Courses that wind through a housing development can be a pain with quarter mile hikes green to next tee in several places.  Hills will wear you out, but then again, part of this is about getting some exercise, right?

If you are carrying, ponder if you really need 14 clubs.  Is your game really better for carrying a lob wedge?  (I've heard that most amateurs should avoid it.)  Do you really need both a 3 and a 5 wood, etc.?  Graphite shafted irons might save you a pound per set if you get along well with them.  I usually go with 12 clubs.

Studies have shown that using a push cart burns more calories than carrying.  Presumably, that is because you are moving more weight around with the cart.  I've not used a cart lately so cannot say if the burden of the bag is worse than the energy expenditure of a cart (plus everything you might load on that cart that you would not carry).

I think walking makes it easier to have the right club at hand for greenside chips and pitches.  It can be hard to tell from the cart path which club would be best for the lie, carry distance, slopes, etc. and most won't bring along 3 or 4 choices.  Plus you are not likely to leave your trusty wedge or bump and run club behind when your bag is right there.  (I see so many iron sets on E-bay with a 7 or 8 iron missing, likely left by a green somewhere.)

Walking might be good for your game.  Jack Nicklaus said that he owed his distance advantage to strong legs so he always walked (and participated in a number of other sports).

Ball hawking is best done on foot but can be too productive to keep bag weight down by the time you reach the last few holes.  Just walking the edges can be productive.  If you are reluctant to add much weight, keep just the pristine Pro-V1s and leave the rest.

I have been a walker for years and have saved lots of $ by not paying a cart fee.  At first I carried a stand bag; next I had a 2 wheel pull cart; and then went with a 3 wheel push cart.  This past summer my wife bought me an Alphard Club Booster V2 electric cart as a retirement present and it makes walking even easier.  

I always carry snacks and water to traverse the 6+ mile trek around our course.  And as many have mentioned already, comfortable shoes for walking are a must.  I have a pair of waterproof trail running shoes that are very comfortable.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

1 hour ago, Erin B said:

Third windiest? I guess you don't live in Cheyenne Wyoming 🤣. I am pretty sure Cheyenne is the windiest city in the world. It's been crazy this year.

Nope. The windiest city is North America is St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, We're an island in The North Atlantic. If you don't like playing golf in 25-40 MPH (40-60 KPH) winds most days or at least for portions of the day, you don't play golf here.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.

Good replies all over this thread!

For sure, a good pair (or two) of shoes, depending on how much you play. I have Ecco's, one waterproof for rainy days and another that handles the morning dew and later conditions.

If you are going to carry, get a nice light bag and start with a half set of clubs, just to get your shoulders and stamina in working order.

If you are using a push cart, invest in a decent one (there are many). I'm using a combo cart bag and push cart from BagBoy which I am thoroughly happy with 4 years in. 

Enjoy the walk! If you haven't walked in a long time, remember to view the topography. It can help you read greens (seeing the greens slopes from different angles you approach them from). Be aware of your heart rate, especially if you've just scaled a big hill and you are next to hit. Take a couple deep breaths before you address your shot.

Find a good stride for yourself so that you can maintain your pace of play, keeping the group in front of you in sight! 

Cheers,

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Driver - Callaway Rogue Reg shaft 10 degree (Circa 2018)

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 3 Metal (2014)

Hybrids - Callaway X-Hot Pro 16 and 20 degree (2014)

Irons - Callaway Apex Pro Graphite Shafts 4-A (2014)

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 56 (2014) and 58 (2019)

Putter - Kayson Mallet 34" 

Bags - Carry: Sun Mountain (2015) Cart: BagBoy Easy Rider Lite (2019)

Pull/Push Cart - BagBoy Compact3 (2019)

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

I got this Caddytek push cart and love it. I'll link it down below. It's listed at $200 right now but the price will fluctuate because I got it for $150 a month ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT1XM2T?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

IMG_7408.JPG

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway: Ping G425 Max 16*

Hybrid: Callaway Ai Smoke 4h 21*

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 HM HL 6-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM10 54* 58* 12D

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour CB 37 inch

I used to walk a lot then moved to the smoky mountains. I would walk 50 percent of the time. My course had some big elevation changes. Now that I live in south eastern NC I walk all the time. 

1) Ditto everyone on comfortable socks and shoes. Puma is the best for me. Fit, comfort, and price. Make sure they are water resistant or water proof. You can get tent water proofing spray from Walmart.

2) For your first walk rent a push cart from the course. Think about your normal score. Subtract 18 and that how many times your going to pick up your bag then the same amount to  put down your bag. Lots of side lifting even with a stand bag. A push cart rental is a cheap way of seeing if you like walking. 

3) Keep a small first aid pouch in your bag. Regular bandaids and the ones for your heal. Then a few asprin. Eventually you need one of these. Don't wait if you fee something rubbing in your shoe put a bandaid on it. 

4) Hydrate and snack. Beef Jerry is good. Keeps your salt intake up. I also like uncrustables PBJ. A bag with a cooler pocket is helpful.

5) If you do get a cart don't skimp. Think about your savings. My course charges $20.00 a round for a cart. I walk around 75 rounds a season. Thats $1500.00 in savings. Also know as a electric  push cart or a new set of irons after year one with the savings. My warped way of thinking.

5) If you are walking using a cart path. Keep your cart on the path but walk on the grass. The cart rolls easier on paths but the grass is softer on your feet. It also helps you to not wear your spikes out. My course is a 6-1/2 mile loop. Thats a lot of walking. Already walked 18 today.

6) Don't overload your bag unless its an electric push cart. Keep it light. If carrying your bag use a double strap bag.

7) Enjoy the nature. Look ahead and not at your feet. Plan your next shot before you even get there.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I used to walk a lot then moved to the smoky mountains. I would walk 50 percent of the time. My course had some big elevation changes. Now that I live in south eastern NC I walk all the time. 

1) Ditto everyone on comfortable socks and shoes. Puma is the best for me. Fit, comfort, and price. Make sure they are water resistant or water proof. You can get tent water proofing spray from Walmart.

2) For your first walk rent a push cart from the course. Think about your normal score. Subtract 18 and that how many times your going to pick up your bag then the same amount to  put down your bag. Lots of side lifting even with a stand bag. A push cart rental is a cheap way of seeing if you like walking. 

3) Keep a small first aid pouch in your bag. Regular bandaids and the ones for your heal. Then a few asprin. Eventually you need one of these. Don't wait if you fee something rubbing in your shoe put a bandaid on it. 

4) Hydrate and snack. Beef Jerry is good. Keeps your salt intake up. I also like uncrustables PBJ. A bag with a cooler pocket is helpful.

5) If you do get a cart don't skimp. Think about your savings. My course charges $20.00 a round for a cart. I walk around 75 rounds a season. Thats $1500.00 in savings. Also know as a electric  push cart or a new set of irons after year one with the savings. My warped way of thinking.

5) If you are walking using a cart path. Keep your cart on the path but walk on the grass. The cart rolls easier on paths but the grass is softer on your feet. It also helps you to not wear your spikes out. My course is a 6-1/2 mile loop. Thats a lot of walking. Already walked 18 today.

6) Don't overload your bag unless its an electric push cart. Keep it light. If carrying your bag use a double strap bag.

7) Enjoy the nature. Look ahead and not at your feet. Plan your next shot before you even get there.

So many good responses. Thank you for this one, Tom!

What are your guys' favorite golf socks for walking the course? Taking recommendations!

5 minutes ago, brogies said:

What are your guys' favorite golf socks for walking the course? Taking recommendations!

I like under armor essentials, good cushion and a little thicker, does well if you do get your feet wet.
 https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/socks/mens_ua_essential_lite_6-pack_socks/1354991.html?dwvar_1354991_color=002

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I have some FJ Pro Dry socks that I love (wear regardless of walking or riding).

I used a pushcart as a young kid, but started carrying around high school and never got another push cart.  I ride now if it’s league play or playing with my dad (don’t play as often together now).  I will walk/carry if I’m playing alone or just trying to get some quick golf in (makes me feel young again).

Definitely good, broken in shoes are a must.  A good bag if you are planning on carrying as well.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I second what @Tom the Golf Nut said about walking on grass. Avoid cart paths or any pavement if you can. Your joints will that you. 

As for socks my personal favorites are stance and bombas 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

10 hours ago, brogies said:

How young is too young for a push cart? 😂

The question should be how young is too young for a riding cart?!  

I play at a muni and many players, including me, are… how should I say it… older?  While I ride when playing with my wife, I try to walk as much as I can while she drives; I ride up the hills.  Many older players also walk; some days I walk 9-holes with my pushcart.  However, I would wager that most players under the age of 40 ride in carts, and the majority of the walkers are over 40; I’m 76.  Might be one reason why the rental carts get beat up before their lease is up.  😂

There have been times when my buddy and I would walk the course paired with another twosome of 20-somethings riding in a cart.  There should be a state law that unless you have a disability, players under 40 must walk.🤣  However, the course has to make money and lots of money can be made with cart rentals.

Get in shape!!  If you are in good shape, get in better shape!  Walking the course does make you stronger, but until you get used to the distance and the changing terrain, your legs will get tired and poor shots will results.  Don’t worry about it; shots get better as the legs get stronger.  Good luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Walking is great! You keep a better rhythm, focus more, and find you hit the ball straighter so you don't have to chase it everywhere (I firmly believe this). I recommend getting a push cart and pacing yourself. If you're in good shape, it should be no problem to walk. If you're nervous about your energy, play with a buddy who gets a cart. If you get really tired, catch a ride. The main thing is to just start. Like with everything in life, you can't do it until you start. Have fun and enjoy the game!

12 hours ago, jbern said:

I don’t know if rules have changed, but I wasn’t allowed to push a push/pull cart when I was on my high school golf team. I would’ve loved a push cart back then. Getting a pushcart for me was a huge game changer! Saves the cart fees and I can walk or even jog the course if I’m in a hurry. 
I reviewed the Clicgear 4.0 last year and it’s a tank and is great! The BagBoy Nitron also received rave reviews on the forum. 
My other piece of advice is to find a playing partner that’s willing to be part of the pushcart mafia with you. Makes the transition way easier with a mate who joins you. I know I felt a little strange the first couple of times. 

I love pushing a cart. I’ll carry my bag every now and then too but it’s so much easier having a cart. I was putting away my Nitron today and my playing partner was wowed at how easy and fast it was to fold up and put away. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

This. 100%.

Another golfer here who likes to walk as many of their rounds as possible - even when traveling if the course rents push carts. Only exception is traveling and course requires riding.

I believe that walking is the way the game is meant to played; I believe that walking can help you improve your game faster vs riding; and I believe - in direct contrast to what seems to be a common perception, but - walking can *enhance* pace of play!!

Some of the things already mentioned I'd reiterate as I also think they're important...

• Good shoes and socks. Not just comfortable shoes but supportive .. if you wear orthotics move them into your golf shoes when you play; if you don't wear orthotics get a pair (online or drugstores) of athletic style insoles and cut them to size to fit in your golf shoe.
  • Water or your preferred non-alcoholic hydration any time of the year.
  • GPS watch if you don't already use one.
  • Wide brimmed hat or umbrella for sunny, hot days.

I'd also highly recommend a push cart!

Carrying imho is an unnecessary strain on the back, hips and knees. (..and this old guy already has plenty of problems in all those areas...)

Mini rant: if you think there's some sort of stigma attached with using a push cart, well then I can't help you there other than to suggest f*** what other people think .. who cares .. get over it.

We're there to play golf.

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

There have been times when my buddy and I would walk the course paired with another twosome of 20-somethings riding in a cart.  There should be a state law that unless you have a disability, players .. must walk.

This. 100%.

@brogies consider what is more important to you when you are out on the course - (a) playing the game and looking to improve, or (b) socializing?

In my mind riding in a cart is more "social golf" oriented *BUT* otoh walking does not in any way preclude chitchat between holes with your playing partners!

Heck you can even carry beers and hang a small Bluetooth speaker on your push cart if that's what you're into and why you're out there. But for me there's plenty of time at The 19th for all that after the round.

We're out there to play the game of golf.

Edited by cksurfdude
typo stoopit typo

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I like walking the course. it's a great way to play, and get some exercise at the same time. In the winter it's a great way to stay warm.

I retired and started playing golf a bit and I walked for a year and a half with a push cart. Then I bought an electric cart and it's been great. I play with a group of 4-6 people and some never walk and some, ride or walk. When it gets hot we walk the front and ride the back.

Like others said get good comfortable shoes. I carry lots of water in the summer, 3L, and I usually drink it all on a summer day.

I walk two courses and both are 5-6 miles for 18.

If the course is cart path only you might as well walk

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

I prefer walking!  It’s great exercise. I loosen up quicker, and not as sore after a round.  It gives me time to focus on my next shot and forget about the bad shots in between shots. 

2 things that have made walking great for me comfortable shoes and a pull cart. If money is an issue Buy the most comfortable shoes you can afford, get a cheap used push cart. I have a used caddytek works fine. 

take extra water and snacks!

Jnr

On 3/29/2024 at 9:46 AM, jbern said:

I don’t know if rules have changed, but I wasn’t allowed to push a push/pull cart when I was on my high school golf team. I would’ve loved a push cart back then. Getting a pushcart for me was a huge game changer! Saves the cart fees and I can walk or even jog the course if I’m in a hurry. 
I reviewed the Clicgear 4.0 last year and it’s a tank and is great! The BagBoy Nitron also received rave reviews on the forum. 
My other piece of advice is to find a playing partner that’s willing to be part of the pushcart mafia with you. Makes the transition way easier with a mate who joins you. I know I felt a little strange the first couple of times. 

I'm still kind of wondering about such a rule but, I was watching the college girls tournament a week or so ago and one of them was pushing a cart around.  Still wondering why I've never seen a pro caddie pushing one around.  After all my time of watching it's hard to imagine tradition being the only force at work.

Again, I'm only a 9-holer when it comes to walking but, I like a bit of energy food and definitely water.  Cookies, nuts, soda or "Tiger piss" WITH sugar.

Loved the mention about cart on the path, feet off.  I always do that.  Saves energy and spikes.

Also, I just played nine, changed into my "walking" shoes to take the dogs around the neighborhood.  Feet felt great after golf.  Not so after the canine constitutional.  I guess it could be just because one is on ground and the other on sidewalks.

Edited by mardukes
adding...

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Big 10-4!  There's a little 9-holer, 3 fours & 6 threes, where I take the wife and her father.  They ride and I will consider putting my clubs on their cart, but I would never ride.  I'm approaching 70 and don't care if it's 90 degrees out, yet I regularly see army-of-one-generation players driving the course.  I don't wonder why the country is going into the shi... toilet.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

45 minutes ago, mardukes said:

I'm still kind of wondering about such a rule but, I was watching the college girls tournament a week or so ago and one of them was pushing a cart around.  Still wondering why I've never seen a pro caddie pushing one around.  After all my time of watching it's hard to imagine tradition being the only force at work.

I don’t know HS rules all that well either. I just know that when I hurt my leg during golf season I still had to carry my bag in my bag in the next match. It was hurting pretty good and I got 3rd to last place. I think it’d be great if they could push all the time. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Just came across this thread and everything I read posted already sounds good.  Not intending to duplicate but will share what it is to me.  And I do tend, as Robert @berkeleybob has said,  to write my comments like a review:

Walking is like all other exercises, either we do it and maintain or improve our physical ability or we don't and lose what we once had.  Definitely the Use-or-Lose prospect is enough to keep me preferring to not just choose exercise but stroke my cheap-date personna by not springing for a riding cart rental.  Yes I will date myself because I have a great time without spending any money at all 😁

I'm a combat Veteran of the Iraq war and standard combat uniform was wearing Individual Body Armor (IBA), Kevlar Helmet, carrying weapon for 24/7/365 and combat load of 6 full 30 round magazines, plus radio and phone, plus water, plus rations, combat lifesaver medical kit, flashlights and spare batteries, and whatever was needed for the mission of the day, totaling over 60lbs of added weight, most of which was on the IBA.  The helmet alone weighed 8lbs starting the load on the spine right at the top.  Tucking all that into the uparmored Hummers or whatever vehicles were needed, dropping gear when in hardened buildings or mess halls, and you get the idea it was a physical experience that took it's toll over 11 months of continuous duty.

Use-or-Lose Brigade is my current assignment so I choose Use and that meant carry or pull/push.  Carry is out, forget carrying load on the spine that gets felt in the lower region near the pelvis so that leaves pull or push cart to carry the bag.  Pull worked for a few years because I had a roadside-supply cart but increased play proved the off center pull either left or right with a pull behind was enough to induce discomfort and, over time, pain.

I found the MyGolfSpy site and Forum looking for a review of push carts in 2018.  I selected the Clicgear 3.5+ over the Sun Mountain Speed Cart, a personal choice, based on the review that had those two as top of the recommended carts and joined the Forum soon after.

Push loads spine and body equally and I can walk fast regardless of terrain leaving playing partners behind (sorry guys) sometimes and often I am the one waiting for the riding cart players ahead of me so I don't hit into them.  I keep track of my rounds and at an average of 130 9-hole rounds a year at about 3 miles per 9-hole round, the Clicgear puts on almost 400 miles a year so about 2000 miles so far with virtually no maintenance needed (just cleaning) and it is standing up to regular use, unfolding and folding with only a hole in the handle netting to show for wear (self inflicted attaching something to it).

SouthParkGC202006011stgreenwithS.H_shirt_bagtowel(2).JPG.b98124f27829f9c1448c9bec3122318c.JPG  10_10.20225thfairwaybag.JPG.a38f051d7b4728134471d429a8d4f0f6.JPG

I have a Sun Mountain C130 bag that has done most of the miles with a full load of clubs and until this year the pockets kept collecting "just in case" items that were taken out for some minor bag repair for worn side pocket zipper.  It was a heavy bag lifted from vehicle trunk to push cart and back once a day, much lighter now.  But the weight was no issue while pushing the cart and I don't shy away from steep hills.  I know how much side angle the loaded cart will handle before it tips over 🤪 and I prefer a front wheel that does not turn to roll straight across slopes.

5.3.20214thgreenraingear(2)800v.jpg.0c7c8221b4df866d606fa4a5e738b3ba.jpg

Push carts support all weather golf, umbrella holder and large umbrella make a good rain shadow to stand under you can walk away from, rain cover on the golf bag extends the dry where the umbrella coverage doesn't reach.  Umbrella makes a great place to hang a dry towel for the putter and to hang the putter cover while putting.  And the push cart also carries all the gear to taking it along on a clear sky sunny day is no effort for those summer popup storms that change an amazing day into stormagedden by the 6th green and the habit of planning ahead lets me stand under the umbrella in the wind screen of a tree or hedgerow to let it pass over while the rest of the golf course empties out with people racing for cover.  (That's always fun!)

Get a workhorse push cart and enjoy golf the way it is supposed to play, no burden on us 🏌️‍♂️

14 hours ago, DerekB54 said:

Walking is great! You keep a better rhythm, focus more, and find you hit the ball straighter so you don't have to chase it everywhere (I firmly believe this). I recommend getting a push cart and pacing yourself. If you're in good shape, it should be no problem to walk. If you're nervous about your energy, play with a buddy who gets a cart. If you get really tired, catch a ride. The main thing is to just start. Like with everything in life, you can't do it until you start. Have fun and enjoy the game!

And welcome to the Forum and what a great place to put your first post!  Sounds like you would fit right into my own regular playing partners group, though if you did we would have to call everyone Derek just to avoid confusion 😉 or as my son said to my daughter's boyfriend with his name, "I call dibs, I was here first!" 😎  

Hope you find the best of friends here as it is the friendliest forum, and those are the words of so many who joined recently.  Welcome in! ⛳

Edited by EasyPutter
Added photo

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg  ⛳  2024 Official Tester - Callaway Smoke Drive:callaway-small:

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

On 3/29/2024 at 7:34 AM, brogies said:

I've kinda embarrassed to admit it, but I've never walked a golf course before. Carts are just too damn fun and convenient. However, I'm continuing to focus on eating better and exercising more, so naturally, it feels like another area I can improve is not being lazy when golfing. Being that I've never walked a course before, what advice would you have for me? I have a pretty light bag but too much stuff in it currently, so I know I'll need to take a lot of the unnecessary things out of it. What else should I keep in mind? What lessons have you learned?

Good for you!  I have a health issue that keeps me from walking the course and I really miss it.  Comfortable shoes and a light bag are essential.  I wouldn't carry more than 4 extra balls in the bag.  If your course returns to the club house at the turn, you can always grab some more balls out of your car if you need them.  When you get to a green, set your bag down where you will exit the green on the way to the next tee.  Never stand your bag on the green.  It probably wouldn't do any harm but just to be safe.  Enjoy!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS