Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

10 finger grip

kfilly20

I have found that it helps me be consistent at impact.  The impact position is the same for all clubs.

Hogan talks about just that in, "5 Lessons".  He teaches that ball position is the same, you just adjust your stance width and get wider as clubs get longer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 5 years later...

The interlock is probably one of the most common grips, and it is the most popular by far. The interlock has been around since the early 1900's, and is something that is easy to learn and use. The way that it works is by using two opposing fingers, one on each side of the 'R' so that they lock together. This is used by many players because of how easy it is to grasp. The biggest issue with the interlock is that you will find that your accuracy will suffer if your dominant hand is weaker than the other hand which will lead to you consistently slicing the ball.

The overlapping ten finger grip may not seem like it has much merit in comparison to the interlock grip, but in actuality it does. The overlapping grip takes a lot of the pressure off of the forefinger and extends it across the back of the hand. This allows for greater power in the swing, which will result in a better golf swing. In contrast, the cross over uses the overlapping portion of the forefinger to push against the thumb in order to extend it into the top of the backswing where the power is concentrated. Both of these grips are used by many players of all ages, but the difference lies in the amount of power that can be generated through the swing.

Edited by Dillion Zachery

Timingly revisit to this old thread   I been trying new grips this week. Im been an interlocker but having problems “turning the ball over” lately  and when I practice the draw my left hand was hurting after a practice session so I find it easier to use full finger grip to turn the ball over.  How my control was awful. Hitting pull hooks and straight pulls.  Using the overlap seems to make this pull/hook go  away and produce smoother painful free draws Still not completely sold on this grip but hopeful 

Since my post I find that baseball/ ten finger inconsistency as I tend to either hook or slice much easier with that grip 

I am an interlocker but have been trying some form of the varnum grip as I find that it’s easier to draw the ball with that grip. 
I find that when I make my left hand grip stronger it’s just feels better when it’s overlap 

• 1 month later...

Use whatever works for you - I've always used a baseball grip since I grew up playing baseball.  The only thing I have adjusted is either strengthening or weakening my grip.  

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• 1 year later...

Just looking around and ran across this old post about the ten finger grip.  I've used interlocking for years now, and just had major issues with hooking every club and the driver was almost useless ... I decided to be drastic and use the ten finger grip, and immediately started making better contact, with the driver, woods and longer irons, but with short irons and wedges it was a no go.  I've played around with it enough now to know it tends to lead to a straight shot or fade, but it can also slice ... if I hit a slice with the ten finger I can go back to the interlock and start hit straight or draw shots ... it makes zero sense to me as to why this happens as my swing does not change with the different grips.  One issue I know I had with the hooks was that my hands would roll hard at impact, and I'm not sure when that started happening, but the ten finger essentially just completely eliminates the roll, if I want to hit a draw with the ten finger I have to be very aware and think about my hands and even then, it's still hard to do.

Whenever I have experimented with the 10 finger or baseball grip, I have a strong tendency to hook the ball.  I normally use the interlocking grip, but I have used the overlap grip in the past.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter