Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Atlanta Braves - SunTrust Park - a story to warn you about

Mr. 82

So I was on my way home from a week in North Carolina, and the daughter and I had decided to try and take in a Braves game, as neither of us had ever been, and it seemed like something to do that would be fun.

No, this is not nearly golf related, but what I experienced in this regard is definitely worth sharing with you guys, so that you can file this away in the memory banks for future reference, should you ever consider patronizing the Atlanta Braves, or SunTrust Park.

I arrived in Atlanta around 2:30 pm, for a 4:10 pm game. My daughter was behind me in a 2nd car, and our plan was to meet at a WalMart near the stadium so we could car pool in, so as to only pay one parking fee for both of us. And since this is baseball, I'll give you this in balls and strikes:

Strike one: I did my due diligence and read a lot about attending a game at this park, and everyone suggested prepaying for parking. The Braves want over $20 just to park your car at this stadium. This seems absurd to me honestly, especially when you consider that the only place to purchase a parking pass was from the Braves website, which simply linked you to Ticket raper...errr....uuuhhh, Ticketmaster. What a scam this is in my opinion. You force folks to prepay for parking, and you have a contract that allows Ticket raper...errr....uuuhhhh Ticketmaster to monopolize the purchase process, and include their nifty little fee into the cost of the parking pass. And since it's a prepay thing, there is no option to escape the Ticketmaster charges.

Strike two: It took me 90 minutes to travel 15 miles, once I got to Atlanta. I know Atlanta traffic is bad, and I have lived in some congested big cities in my time (DC, New York, Miami, etc), but this wasn't traffic, it was a parking lot with your engine running essentially. And every possible option in how to get to SunTrust Park in Atlanta was completely congested to where no car or truck moved beyond walking pace.

Strike three: Once I finally got near our rendezvous point, the start time of the game had already passed. And we were then faced with the fact that we would have to head back into impossible traffic that probably would have added another hour, just to go the 3 miles back to the ballpark.

Bringing this back to a golf related topic, I took the wife to the Players several years ago, and spent a ridiculous amount of time parked on the road as we crawled our way towards the entrance to general parking for that golf tournament. I won't return to that madness until the PGA Tour addresses that problem. They ignored my repeated inquiries, so I'll ignore supporting them anytime in the near future.

So the problem isn't just Atlanta Braves baseball obviously, but a large amount of people trying to get into a singular space all at the same time. I get it, you'll have traffic. But in my mind, to spend 6 hours of your time to attend a 3 hour ball game (90 minutes to get there, and another 90 minutes to get out of there - at minimum) seems like a complete waste of my time, which the older I get, the more valuable it becomes.

Look, you can go on Yelp and browse the reviews for SunTrust Park. I know from those reviews that the parking issue was not an isolated issue, and that it apparently is a normal thing. And if you want to reply to me to tell me to suck it up, and that's what you should expect from a MLB game, or a PGA Tour event, please don't bother. I don't need to feel like I am in the wrong for a situation that is completely unacceptable to me, as I value my time in life. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine, but frankly, we need to focus on the party in the wrong here, which is the Atlanta Braves and how they have managed to screw up a perfectly new ballpark and the experience in even trying to attend a game. Again, the reviews don't lie, so I know I am not alone in being pissed off at that organization.

My purpose for posting this was for all of you, and honestly not to rant randomly just for the sake of ranting. If I can save even ONE of you the torture of trying to attend an Atlanta Braves baseball game, at least you can say that you were warned if you still go through with it. And for those of you who don't have a problem with the price gauging on parking passes and spending an entire 6-9 hours of your day to watch a 3+ hour game, then more power to you. But just count me out on even attempting to do anything like this in the future. I'll just close this by summing up the experience as pure madness.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Wait...you went to a Major League Baseball game and it was only 3 hours long? Seriously, I live less than an hour from Fenway in Boston and it is easier to take my family to Disney in Orlando than going to Sox game. We go to the Pawsox, the Red Sox triple A team, and it is a blast.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I stopped caring about professional major league sports a long time ago. A bunch of guys paid more than I'll make in a lifetime to catch and throw a ball? No thank you.

We have minor league baseball and hockey in Rochester, NY. $6 for a baseball game, modestly priced concessions and the best piano organist in baseball.

A Buffalo Bills game is $100 an average ticket, $10 for a beer and $30 to park.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I feel your pain GSwag. I don't live where there's any major sports teams. But... I've been to many in years past and know what you speak of. It's certainly gotten worse with friends telling me of similar tails. I'm done with Big events, large and unruly crowds, etc. Like you I just don't want to hassle with it all anymore. And that's what it is. (excluding The Masters)

What I do like is my my big Tv, food a beverage close at hand with family and friends enjoying themselves in the comfort and safety of my home. With Free parking!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I could care less about any professional team sports. They're overpaid, tickets are overpriced and you're held captive to their concession stands with exorbitant prices.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting

It takes me 20 minutes to go to the trop from my couch to my seat and that's with a handicapped person in tow.

I have the MLB app. I can order any ticket at any park that I'd like, pay my parking online - never pay more than 15 for preferred parking.

We had a great experience in Miami this week, in Pittsburgh last summer, and Milwaukee the summer before and there were 40k at the Brewer game.

Sorry that you had such a poor experience at the sporting events that you've attended.

I've almost always enjoyed mine.

I have the opposite opinion of most about professional sports. They are paid entertainers. Many times under paid but paid never the less. At least it's fairly honest about it.

College is far worse - slave laborers - I won't go near a football game because the money being made by schools and the NCAA is obscene and lets face it the play on the field is hooters tour level at best.

I go to college basketball but probably shouldn't, it's equally as immoral and most of the time there's no one on the court who will sniff the NBA

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

in Pittsburgh last summer, 

You were in Pittsburgh and didn't let me know?? Next time give me a shout mate, we're only 1.5 hours from there and would make every effort to meet you.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

....is there a marta train that you can take to the stadium?

when I lived in Atlanta back in the mid-late 90's Turner Field was relatively easy to get in and out of... it's a shame that it has become what you describe....there's got to be a better way.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

....is there a marta train that you can take to the stadium?

when I lived in Atlanta back in the mid-late 90's Turner Field was relatively easy to get in and out of... it's a shame that it has become what you describe....there's got to be a better way.

Yes. And parking is free at many of the Marta stations. I live 20 minutes from SunTrust park and would never drive my own car their. Uber or Marta all the way.

Edit: as a local, that is what I'd do. It's a pretty well known fact that it's a horrid experience for out of towners. If anyone else from out of town tries to go to a braves game. Find the closest Marta station from your entrance into the city and park their and take it up. It will be a much better experience I hope.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Yes. And parking is free at many of the Marta stations. I live 20 minutes from SunTrust park and would never drive my own car their. Uber or Marta all the way.

Edit: as a local, that is what I'd do. It's a pretty well known fact that it's a horrid experience for out of towners. If anyone else from out of town tries to go to a braves game. Find the closest Marta station from your entrance into the city and park their and take it up. It will be a much better experience I hope.

Yeah ... I live outside of Boston and the MBTA will take you within walking distance to the park.  Unless you want to pay 40 bucks to park your car and leave in the 7th, take the train.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Thanks for adding some local knowledge to this.

I did my due diligence when I researched this trip, and was reading this article https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/how-get-the-new-braves-stadium-using-marta/4aCkw1nAxMkm7piRJktJLJ/to sort of guide me as to what to do, and these paragraphs particularly stuck out to me...

Why is there no MARTA service in Cobb County?

Cobb County voted against MARTA expansion in the 1970s. In 1989, Cobb County introduced their own public transit system. Currently, MARTA is not planning additional bus services to Cobb County, according to Ben Limmer, assistant general manager for planning.

Can I park at Cumberland Mall and catch the shuttle to SunTrust Park?

The Cumberland District Circulator shuttles will not stop at Cumberland Mall, according to previous coverage by The AJC. Mall officials discourage Braves fans from parking at the mall and riding the shuttle to the stadium.

So after reading that I assumed that it was either Uber or drive to this place.  And since Uber would be another car in the traffic, I didn't see how that had any advantage over driving there myself.  Live and learn I suppose, but with all the disinformation Atlanta and the Braves are publishing, to say it's confusing to someone not from Atlanta is an understatement.

Again, thanks for offering local knowledge to this.  You would know for sure how this all works.  My ignorance of all things Atlanta shows here for sure.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Thanks for adding some local knowledge to this.

I did my due diligence when I researched this trip, and was reading this article https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/how-get-the-new-braves-stadium-using-marta/4aCkw1nAxMkm7piRJktJLJ/to sort of guide me as to what to do, and these paragraphs particularly stuck out to me...

So after reading that I assumed that it was either Uber or drive to this place. And since Uber would be another car in the traffic, I didn't see how that had any advantage over driving there myself. Live and learn I suppose, but with all the disinformation Atlanta and the Braves are publishing, to say it's confusing to someone not from Atlanta is an understatement.

Again, thanks for offering local knowledge to this. You would know for sure how this all works. My ignorance of all things Atlanta shows here for sure.

Yeah. Marta is both bus and rail. There's a bus you can take to get close and uber will get you the rest of the way via backroads. Basically if you can get close to Cobb county using public transport. Do that. 75 is an absolute nightmare all day everyday both directions. That stadium is nice but if you don't live in the immediate vinicity. It is truly horrible to try and get too.

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Myself, me and the family went there last year, out of towner, but bought tickets and a parking pass. Think it was $18 to park and then shuttle to the stadium. My biggest complaint was the lines to get into the stadium. Once in it was a breeze. Leaving wasn't bad either.

Honestly I didn't see any real drastic differences between that stadium and others. Go to an SEC football game and see how it compares lol

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Solid rant. But what I do is sign up for a package deal earlier in the year. Includes bus transport too and from the game . All you can drink and eat. Along with a ticket usually very close. Look on Craig's list or local ads has these offers next time

Keep it in the short stuff

GSwag you definitely have not been to a Cubs game in Chicago. Talking about traffic and insane parking places if your lucky to find one and not get blocked in if the people behind you decide to pull an all nighter and drink in the bars. Not to mention if you have to pee you get to “sword fight” with the guys next to you. Oh and stay away from the cheap seats in good sections. They are usually located behind an I Beam....

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max Low X stiff flex 

Cobra F8+ 3-4 Wood 2knv green shaft 

Srixon U65 18 Steel Fiber i110x 

Srixon U65 4 iron Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Bettinardi SS28 Center Shafted Putter

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

Twitter: @darrenp36

Instagram: @dpow36

Archived