hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

Posted (edited)

This may come out as a bit of a ramble, but I'm hoping as we all go forward and are truly getting into golf season, I'd in hopes to hear how everyone feels on if this has directly impacted your scoring? You know, alot of us spent the entire winter swinging these things, and while speed is "the new king," this whole process must involve better scoring as per golf. So I'm really crossing my fingers that as the weeks go by we hear more stories of new record rounds OR ALSO maybe a lowered scoring average. That's our real pay dirt!

My feeling thus far is my golf has not been all that stellar yet, but I do feel fairly strongly that my "ceiling" has been raised and my ability to go low (or lower more often) is near. I'm optimistic. I've had a few rounds already this year that I feel have shown the potential to do so, much earlier in my year than last. Have had 4 rounds being anywhere from -1 to +1 through 12-14 holes only to crumble, and one round kinda finally holding one of those together for 72 2 weeks ago. I was not able to see anything like that last year until the mid summer months and feel strongly I can exceed last years scores given the added length?!?!?!?

Higher swing speeds for lower scores for all of us I sure hope!!!! The theory is it should be easier for us with the added length and speed, we didn't spend all this time doing it for nothing LOL. Keep chiming in with scores as we go guys, this is the TRUE METRIC OF OUR SUCCESS! SCORES

Edited by Trial&Error
  • Like 4

@Trial&Error. Valid question and at this point, length wasn’t a big issue with my game. I have only been doing this for about 10 weeks and while I am hitting the ball longer I am not seeing lower scores. The lack of lower scores for me is not a distance issue but a chipping and pitching issue. I haven’t been tracking numbers that much lately but I feel like I am hitting more greens so tee opportunity for better scores is there I just need to eliminate the big numbers. My real concern right now is a big slice/lack of consistency that has crept into my tee game which I have heard other players comment about as well.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@Trial&Error. Valid question and at this point, length wasn’t a big issue with my game. I have only been doing this for about 10 weeks and while I am hitting the ball longer I am not seeing lower scores. The lack of lower scores for me is not a distance issue but a chipping and pitching issue. I haven’t been tracking numbers that much lately but I feel like I am hitting more greens so tee opportunity for better scores is there I just need to eliminate the big numbers. My real concern right now is a big slice/lack of consistency that has crept into my tee game which I have heard other players comment about as well.

Well I hope the rest of your game comes back around so you can take benefit of your added length/speed. I too have my own struggles (don't we all), but all things equal I believe: my best "me" last year when things were all working...........can not beat the "me" this year when all things are working and more length/power. This is unknown of course but why I said I feel like my ceiling is now higher.

Hope you get it all back in your other areas

• Like 1

I've had the chipping issue also but when I think about it I feel it's a good problem to have. Currently my drives are going further so I am having a lot of in between club shots or 3/4 wedges and has been forcing me to add new pieces to my game. When I am playing well I'm hitting pars and not having blow up holes but the other day I had 2 short birdie putts because I stuck wedges close. Granted I also had to try and get up and down 8 times because I was short with my shots which led to an overall higher score. I do believe once I have adapted to my "new" game I'll be scoring much better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

For all the "old" SS guys, when doing the ASD how many swings did you do to gauge ground interaction? I cant imagine one swing is sufficient to tell. Also how did you get the radar to read ball speed vs club speed when testing for sequencing?

For all the "old" SS guys, when doing the ASD how many swings did you do to gauge ground interaction? I cant imagine one swing is sufficient to tell. Also how did you get the radar to read ball speed vs club speed when testing for sequencing?

I use a different device for ball speed

I asked my teachers advice on which ASD to do and he didn’t hesitate with his answer so it was easy for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’ve always struggled leaving balls out right (high pushes or high slices) when I try to swing hard from the top. I’m always fighting that and tell myself to let the speed build, and I bet my transition is probably faster than I think. I don’t feel like I’m parallel with my backswing but I usually am.

Last week I couldn’t hit the ball off the tee to save my life. While I could associate a little bit of that with the training, I was probably trying to swing out of my shoes.

Yesterday I reminded my self to stay smooth and hit my tee shots really well. One high push early with my 5-wood but kicked off the hill in the rough and settled in the fairway. Other drives were easily in my “longer” if not longest grouping.

Ended up with 5 pars too. Just couldn’t get the ball to stop close to the hole. (Still firm aerated greens).

So long story short, I think I was seeing some benefits while still feeling like I was swinging smooth even though the final score didn’t support that (bad chipping day) and one little fiasco punching out of the shrubs that took an extra swing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It’s interesting how we are having differing no results - I got extra distance with my irons first - Now I have to be careful not to swing the irons too fast or try to swing them too fast. When I do I leave the club face open and hit them right but when I focus on keeping the club in front of me ASD 2 style I hit beautiful straight high shots.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

Has anyone tried using a Zepp swing sensor for checking the swing speed? Not sure I want to drop $100 on a radar...

I wouldn't recommend a zepp for measuring swing speed. It needs ball contact to get a decent read, not good on practice swings. I tried using mine and would get huge differences in speed from one swing to the next, some over 10mph. Zepp is good for swing plane and tempo training.

A question for guys doing the maintenance protocol. Has it impacted your SS?

It hasn’t on the course for me but I have been a little off my top numbers during the protocols particularly lefty.

It hasn’t on the course for me but I have been a little off my top numbers during the protocols particularly lefty.

I'm seeing the exact same thing with my speeds training. I can't quite swing the sticks as fast, but the results on the course are great. I haven't used the radar on the course or the range in the last couple of weeks, just trying to focus on my technique and the radar tends to make me over swing.

Also, I find it interesting that you first saw a speed difference with your irons. Mine still aren't showing much improvement, but I've always had a bit of a mental block with them. I used to game a set I bought from a guys at work that were in no way suited for me at the time. Stiff shaft, and hard to get airborne. My Cobra's are easy to hit and I have loads of confidence in them, but I just can't really let loose with them. I appreciate you sharing your swing thought with your irons and I think I might give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks sirchunks! I’ve also recalled that a mental image of a step through really works with driver for me. I had forgotten about that after the move was replaced with kneel downs and double steps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, revkev said:

@revkev I can't speak to that directly, I'm so damned stubborn I'm forging ahead in the training in lieu of maintenance.........HOWEVER......your question does peak my interest. I've seen the same, alittle off my top numbers from about 2 months back, but a few pages ago (or back) I did pose what I thought was a very pertinent question: is it possible that as we begin to take more GOLFING swings than just "speed rips" and one finally begins to outweight the other, would we see a "regression to the means?"

Keep us up to date in that regard if you don't mind, this has intrigued me alot and I can't answer aside from watching my numbers (which are flat, and peaks not as high as previously seen) and following while others make comment

• Like 1

[mention=16651]revkev[/mention] I can't speak to that directly, I'm so damned stubborn I'm forging ahead in the training in lieu of maintenance.........HOWEVER......your question does peak my interest. I've seen the same, alittle off my top numbers from about 2 months back, but a few pages ago (or back) I did pose what I thought was a very pertinent question: is it possible that as we begin to take more GOLFING swings than just "speed rips" and one finally begins to outweight the other, would we see a "regression to the means?"
Keep us up to date in that regard if you don't mind, this has intrigued me alot and I can't answer aside from watching my numbers (which are flat, and peaks not as high as previously seen) and following while others make comment

You have to remember that I live in Florida so I’ve been playing golf all along. My issue isn’t that I’ve just started playing golf again - it’s that work is so busy that I can’t fit three workouts in - I’m working weeks where I have one day or no days off. That will continue until school ends (two more weeks).

From my observation what SuperSpeed calls a plateau is a drop - I’ve had a few times during the eight months of training where I’ve lost speed for a couple of weeks.

In the end my speed remains up when I hit golf balls - I’m driving the ball much farther and hitting shorter irons into greens and or reaching greens that I couldn’t a year ago.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, revkev said:

Rev

i thought I was noticing a drop off in speeds during maintenance; however, I hit a couple of new records during last session. On the course on Thursday I carried a dogleg right that I never have before(that makes two doglegs now) and got accused of using an illegal ball by my buddy who hasn’t seen my increased speed yet. 

• Like 2

The past 2 weeks I've been going through a speed drop but only lefty. Though I do find it interesting because it coincided with playing more again.

• Like 1

I’ve got two weeks of results to post.  The first day of week one, I measured my driver speed on the radar prior to starting the protocol. Measured speed was 103.

Green

Blue

Red

Right

Left

Right

Left

Right

Left

Week 1

Week 2

Following the 3rd session of week one, I tested my driver again and reached 111.  Week two I did sessions 1 & 2 on Monday & Tuesday, skipped session 3 and driver test. 

The 130 entry in week 1 was recorded in session 1. Didn’t come close in session 2, hit 123 in session 3. 

Is the gap between green & red max similar to what others have seen?

I played a match on Thursday, followed by a scramble.  Won the match and the scramble (yay).  I drove the ball quite well most of the day until late in the day when I began missing left. I felt I was on my back foot and couldn’t snap out of it. 

I played Saturday and it was a continuation of the hooks. On my back foot, poor tempo, ugh.  I hit two fairways the whole day, and they were grounders that made it through the teeing area. I obviously didn’t score well, but my irons, wedges and putter were working, so I posted a high/average round.  Actually struck my irons quite well. Weird. 

• Like 6

I broke down and ordered the Stability Mat at the beginning of the month, and it finally arrived today. Found a good deal online and got it for $37 delivered. All I can say is: Buy the mat! I had been trying to do kneeling swings on a piece of cardboard. The mat is so much better.

Saw a few 103 and 104 mile per hour swings on my Swing Caddie today during my range session, including one estimated carry of 252 yards. That is very promising. And tonight's training session yielded my best green club swing yet:

20190513_190401.jpg.e5ddbabb49e2afb49734599d321437cc.jpg

My on course results haven't been as great, but my speed is definitely improved from last season. 

• Like 9

I broke down and ordered the Stability Mat at the beginning of the month, and it finally arrived today. Found a good deal online and got it for $37 delivered. All I can say is: Buy the mat! I had been trying to do kneeling swings on a piece of cardboard. The mat is so much better.
Saw a few 103 and 104 mile per hour swings on my Swing Caddie today during my range session, including one estimated carry of 252 yards. That is very promising. And tonight's training session yielded my best green club swing yet:
20190513_190401.jpg.e5ddbabb49e2afb49734599d321437cc.jpg
My on course results haven't been as great, but my speed is definitely improved from last season. 

Damn!!

My session this evening got postponed due to rain. Not sure I should be swinging those clubs in the rain. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk