Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

When You Were a Youngster on Halloween

TheWahoo

As I age, more and more things remind me of my youth.   Halloween being one of them.   I can remember I always wanted to go "Trick or Treating" as Zorro.   I loved watching Zorro on the TV.  When you were a youngster who or what did you want to be on Halloween?

When I was a little kid Halloween was a kids event. And only kids.

I was always a hobo. But I recall wanting my mom to buy me one of those cool flammable suits with the accompanying face-mask . She wouldn't so I had to settle for some charcoal on my face, one of my dads work shirts a hat and jeans. Oh well, I still collected a ton of candy. All we used were paper grocery sacks. Now get this.... when I was little me and my older sister would traipse off into the night by ourselves and told to be back home soon. I might have been 5-6 and my sister 7. Think any kids would be allowed to do that these days? 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I was always a hobo. But I recall wanting my mom to buy me one of those cool flammable suits with the accompanying face-mask . She wouldn't so I had to settle for some charcoal on my face, one of my dads work shirts a hat and jeans. Oh well, I still collected a ton of candy. All we used were paper grocery sacks. Now get this.... when I was little me and my older sister would traipse off into the night by ourselves and told to be back home soon. I might have been 5-6 and my sister 7. Think any kids would be allowed to do that these days? 

I wish we could trust kids like that today but I think it's mostly because parents are too controlling and see too much crap on the news. I use to go as a hockey player a lot and my parents were no where to be found.

I remember going to town (very small rural town) being let out and my mom waiting in the car while I walked by myself for hours. My how the times have changed in just 20 years. My favorite costume was an Army man.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

4 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

My wife and I enjoy passing out candy to the kids especially the younger ones.  However this year our little town of 500 people decided to do a "Trunk or Treat" at the same time.  While we did get a few trick or treaters, that "Trunk or Treat" really diminished the amount of kids we had come to our door.  I don't even understand how something like that came to be. Someone in a neighboring town put up a Micheal Meyers mannequin in their yard and people starting complaining/petitioning to get it removed. Pretty soon Halloween will disappear all together.

When I was younger I always went as some sports athlete.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I was a lot of different things growing up on Halloween. One year I went as a totem pole, after my parents took us on a cruise to Alaska and we saw the totem poles that the eskimos placed throughout the state. I drew on some cardboard posters different pictures like I saw on the totem poles, and then made one piece for the torso and another piece for the head. My most creative costume ever I believe.

With regards to the comments about how Halloween has changed over the years, I believe we have all been affected by the advent of the internet and the 24 hour news cycle. So many stories of evil and kids being kidnapped, and young girls being taken and found in the woods, or never being found after being taken. I don't remember hearing stories like that when I was growing up because we only had the local newspaper to update us once a day in the mornings, and a half hour of local news on 3 channels, and then the national news broadcasts after that. I don't remember seeing any of those type of stories on any news reports back then.

But now? Heck, how long has Dateline NBC been on, and I know I haven't watched it in a long time, but it seems like every episode they aired relates to some kidnapping/murder, or lost child or some other type of crime of a similar nature. I mean, that's just one show. I imagine that if I wanted to find a show similar to this now I bet I could scroll the listings right now and find a similar story, either fiction or non-fiction airing right at this very moment. Or I can simply go on the internet and find dozens of news articles about a kidnapping/murder or disappearance of a child somewhere right now in the United States. Heck, if you want to scare yourself into oblivion just google "human trafficking" and spend the next 6-12 hours making yourself sick to death at the current state of the world with regards to that. Oh, and if you don't think human trafficking takes place near you, I bet you'd be wrong. Here in Tallahassee I had my eyes opened to the fact that young children were being sold into human trafficking right here at home, right under our noses. The internet has revealed this hidden gem of a worldwide criminal network, just as one example.

We live in a society of fear and are constantly concerned about our safety. Our culture has become extremely diverse. Back when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's we were all homogenous in nature, with all of our neighbors attending the same schools, churches, and believing the same things. The internet has opened our eyes both in a good way and a bad way to these diverse opinions, worldviews, and lifestyles. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't even met the people who moved in across the street about 3 or 4 months ago. We just went through Hurricane Michael and I finally met the lady across the street after living here about 5 years. You see the diversity reflected in your neighborhood, and it scares a lot of people. While some people publicly proclaim that diversity is a good thing, I believe that a large portion of people would prefer the homogenous group of people that they know. This is not a slight on any particular group of people, either by race, creed, sex, lifestyle, or whatever, but I just believe that by nature we are all tribal (for a lack of a better word). Sure, you absolutely learn more, and experience a lot of variety in a diverse group of people, but what it all boils down to is that people are comfortable around people that are the same or similar to us. That's just human nature, no matter who you are. Race, language, heritage, religion, and a bunch of other factors all make us different, but when pressed, most of us prefer what makes us most comfortable. This is not saying one is better than the other, or that we shouldn't have diversity, but this is merely an analysis of what prompted these opinions on the seeming disappearance of what we come to know as Halloween growing up.

Do I miss the halloween I grew up with? Not really. I'm not a kid anymore. I did enjoy seeing my kids trick or treat, but they are grown now, so I have no dog in this fight anymore. Just like everything else in my life, things change, and your life experiences and traditions change as you get older.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I remember pillow cases stuffed with booty and a handful of friends conducting trading sessions while consuming our way into a sugar induced coma 🤣.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Anyone out there celebrate Mischief Night back in the day?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Just thought I'd nip over to my grandma's for Halloween,

and fair play to her, at 93, she had all the halloween decorations up, cobwebs and live insects in the windows and a skeleton on the couch...

She always makes a big effort,

but there was no answer. I'll pop back next week!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I was "Halloween age" in the 1950s, sad to say.

I remember being "Topper," a 1950s TV character,

and one of my favorites was Al Capone. 

I loved the Mafia personas when I was a boy and didn't realize what an ethnic slur it was against myself.

If I were a boy in the l990s, I'm sure that I'd have been Tony Soprano.

Overall, though, Halloween was never one of my favorite "holidays," and I wouldn't mind seeing it fade

away.

As for GSWAG,  I have no problem with ethnic diversity because I grew up with it in the urban Northeast and the

variety of ethnic restaurants alone makes it a positive for me.

What creates the problem is ideological diversity from the political standpoint..

That's what causes the resentments from my perspective and in my actual life.

Just thought I'd nip over to my grandma's for Halloween,

and fair play to her, at 93, she had all the halloween decorations up, cobwebs and live insects in the windows and a skeleton on the couch...

She always makes a big effort,

but there was no answer. I'll pop back next week!

Liked it so much had to put it here too guess the joke thread didn't get the attention you hoped it would lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

50 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Liked it so much had to put it here too guess the joke thread didn't get the attention you hoped it would lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

its a joke you can only really put out at Halloween, when I saw the thread I thought it would be rude not to share it here also.....😋

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Nah.  Halloween doesn't continue on into the undressing.

[I can't believe that I just posted this in complete sobriety.]

who said anything about undressing 😏

16 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

who said anything about undressing 😏

What goes on - must come off ????

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter