Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Thin2win

The hype train has left, and taylormade and Callaway didn't get tickets.

I'm sure M5/6 are fine, and Epic Flash is green and stuff. And if I were placing money at Vegas, I'd bet they out sell the other brands, but I have no desire to even try out these clubs this year. I'll give the F9, the G410+ and the TS3 a shot at the 400 Max. I'll probably even hit Cortex, but not even going to try the big 2. 

Anyone else feel this way? I'm not sure why either. I've had more TM drivers than any other brand, and generally I like Callaway, so not hating. I just think their hype / AI invented faces are a missed fairway this year. 

It looks like cobra have really done something with aero this year that warrants real hype with the F9.  Everything I read /see about the TS3 says it is the first top notch metal wood from titliest in years. And the 410+... It is ping, so yeah, have they every really made a bad driver? 

• Like 3

I'll try anything that I think will help my game and fits my budget, regardless of marketing hype or talk. 

If it works, it works. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of either, but I'll have a go when I look at drivers in March. They'd have to be super special to get a second look over the G410 and F9.

Never been a big Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but I definitely don't plan on ever hitting either of these drivers. Cobra, Ping, and Titleist are at the top of my list followed closely by Srixon and Mizuno (assuming I actually demo anything to begin with).

I'm not a huge Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but these really seemed to be a swing and a miss. I mean, I'll probably still hit them at some point, but I'm not expecting anything astonishing. I'm really looking forward to the F9, G410, and ST190. 

Twist face and Epic Flash...

Yeah. They didn’t get their money out of their marketing teams. I suppose though when you have some many players, just the name sells.

Could be a big pile of crap with a V on it and still sell out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

I'm not a huge Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but these really seemed to be a swing and a miss. I mean, I'll probably still hit them at some point, but I'm not expecting anything astonishing. I'm really looking forward to the F9, G410, and ST190. 

I had the opportunity to test the ST180 last year, and I think Mizuno makes a great club. But it thought me that there is such a thing as too little spin. So I might try the 190 out, but kinda expect it to be the wrong choice for me. 

Aside, I don't think it is the hype or promises that TM and C have used this year, I just haven't read or watched a review of their offerings that was all that positive compared to the other brands. Obviously the OG epic was awesome, TM M2 was awesome, but I don't feel like these two brands have done anything since. And if they have, their messaging has really missed the mark. 

I guess a better question I have is does anyone have the Epic Flash or TM 5/6 as their pre testing #1 want to hit? 

I’m not a Callaway fan. I’ve tried their stuff on multiple occasions over the last 6-7 years and between, sound, feel, looks and in some cases performance wasn’t to my liking.

After talking to my fitter about m5 having the ball speed that was lacking in m3.  

I’ll be trying ts2/3, m5/6, g410, f9 and txg. Maybe Mizuno.

i feel like there’s enough hype around all the brands this year and regardless of the brand some people will see gains and others won’t,  there’s plenty of example around the Internet on both sides.

i think it’s a stretch to say any brand missed the hype train this year and it’s probably one of the few years where there really isn’t a brand missing out 

I wouldn’t avoid trying any brand (PXG excluded in previous years). I had a guy yesterday who picked up 15 yards with the Z585. We had a winner until I put the Epic Flash in his hands and it was 10-15 yards longer than the Srixon. Get fit and go with what works the best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Today I tested the M6 and both Callaway Flash drivers.   If you are dismissing these brands,  you are going to be missing out.   It may not be your best driver,  but I was surprised at how well they performed.  Wish I could do a single day test across all the most wanted drivers.  

I like Callaway drivers but the epic flash looks exactly like the original, and at $529 I’m not buying, and I buy a new club more than most outside of CG2 aka[mention=68812]golfspy[/mention] Rob. TaylorMade lost me a long time ago. I liked the original SLDR and the R9 and R11. The cobra is awesome and I would have pulled the trigger had it beat out my TS3.

Since I just spent the last 2 years refitting my entire bag I am done for quite some time even looking at new clubs.  The only club I am pondering at the moment is the putter, which is always a work in progress.

• Like 2

I went out and hit the Epic Flash today, really solid driver. Hit it back and forth with my G400 Max. I liked it better than the Epic, and guessing it will sell better than the rogue having the weights back on it. 

I never thought it was going to be bad. Just thought it was odd (or refreshing) that the Big C and TM didn't have the drivers out getting the most attention. 

On 2/5/2019 at 1:31 AM, djahubes said:

I like Callaway drivers but the epic flash looks exactly like the original, and at $529 I’m not buying, and I buy a new club more than most outside of CG2 aka[mention=68812]golfspy[/mention] Rob. TaylorMade lost me a long time ago. I liked the original SLDR and the R9 and R11. The cobra emoji216.png is awesome and I would have pulled the trigger had it beat out my TS3.

Actually the Flash looks nothing like the original at address, at least in the SZ model.  Performance wise they are not that far apart and had I not had an unfortunate incident with my Epic SZ I would not have even given the Flash SZ a second thought.

I have the fortune of hitting the F9, G410, PXG Gen 2, TS3, TS2, Epic Flash SZ, Epic Flash, R5 and R6 so far this year and I can honestly say that there was not one of the bunch that was really any better or any worse than any of the others.  None were certainly $500 better than what I was playing.   

• Like 4

I like the alignment of the m5/m6 but not sure if I like the price though I’d be willing to hit it. Same with the flash but ironically the only driver I’ve gotten along with is the XR16 pro. That was a fantastic driver.

• Like 1

I couldn’t begin to explore the method behind product release timing. Scroll the board and you’ll see...

Cobra was premature with their release

Wilson should have timed Driver v Driver later

PING can’t release a driver close enough to the g400 LST

Callaway peaked with Rogue

Titleist released too early but their Tour usage is back to a near historic high.

Lynx....just kidding

Truth is it’s a crap shoot. I’m in love with my driver so I’ll be interested to read what everyone says about this years release when the snow melts up here.

Phil went 14/14 fairways on Thursday. If that’s notnhype enough for a club, I’m not sure what is. Everyone I’ve heard talking about Epic flash says it’s very Long. Much longer than anything they’ve hit. I’ve also heard the F9 is very good as well. I think the not trying something form any company nowadays is a bad move. All of them are putting out good drivers. Not hitting something now may cost you. I say hit them all and the choose. 

34 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Phil went 14/14 fairways on Thursday. If that’s notnhype enough for a club, I’m not sure what is. Everyone I’ve heard talking about Epic flash says it’s very Long. Much longer than anything they’ve hit. I’ve also heard the F9 is very good as well. I think the not trying something form any company nowadays is a bad move. All of them are putting out good drivers. Not hitting something now may cost you. I say hit them all and the choose. 

Phil is not playing the flash. He had it in the bag for the first time at Waste Management and missed the cut and had a bad case of the lefts in round 2.

hes back to using the rogue again