Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Matching fairway wood to driver shaft

Curly6

What are everyone's thoughts on matching a 3 wood shaft to a driver shaft?

Im in the market for a new 3 wood, and am strongly considering the Epic Flash Sub Zero 3 wood. While perusing Callaways website, I noticed they offer the Project X Evenflow Black as a no-charge upgrade. A big part of my wanting to update my 3 wood is due to dislike of the shaft that's in it. My Callaway Rogue Sub Zero driver paired with the PX Evenflow Black 6.0 65 gram is working well for me and I'm considering going with the PX Evenflow Black in 75 gram weight for a fairway wood. Problem is, I dont know of anywhere i can demo that particular shaft in a fairway wood before buying.

I was fitted for my previous 3 wood a few years ago but have improved my swing since then. I may book a fitting with Club Champion, but does anyone have experience matching fairway and driver shafts, in the same shaft lineup with the appropriate weights? I did some searching and found moatly old threads from another forum that I dont prefer to visit much.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

While I have never been fitted for a fairway club (we have got to come up with a better description of a fairway club, because it hasn't been "wood" since the 20th century), in my journey of golf clubs I have often gotten my driver and fairway clubs all being the same PING model, and with that comes the same shaft.  I had at one time my driver, 3 and 5 fairway, 19 and 22 degree hybrids all being the PING G5, and all came with the same stock regular flex shaft.  I guess it was just a comfort thing to me, as each club reacts differently to the shaft, especially since you hit each club for different things.

I currently have a PING G400 driver, 19° hybrid, and 4 crossover, that all have the same PING stock regular flex shaft in them.  My outlier is that I have a Callaway XR 4 fairway that has a project X regular flex shaft in it.  I bought the Callaway 4 fairway long before any of my newer PING clubs, so that is why it is an outlier.  And it would be real hard to take that Callaway 4 fairway out of my bag, because I just love it, and it is money 95% of the time (yeah, be honest, we all have that 5% or greater percentage of shots that we just suck on).

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Good post and timely for me to add my 2-cents in since I'm actively trying this exact concept on my G400. I do have an Aldila Tour blue I got for it and (besides the sheer length), is identical to the ones I chucked onto my 3 & 5w and absolutely love. Since putting that shaft on my woods has proven to be a great success, I wondered if one for my driver would also be an instant hit. Now while I haven't had too much time to play with the new combo, I did tinker a bit last week. What I was experiencing then was definitely not the instant wake-up call I got with my woods. I futzed a bit with loft, but at that time, it just didn't come together for me. The second I put the Copper back on with a bit of increased loft-gangbusters! And that's were it currently sits: 10.6* up, 5-gram head weight (factory is 7g), X-Torsion Copper. I'm still going to tinker with the Blue, but thus far, it hasn't been good enough to warrant 100% usage yet.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I have the same shaft model in both but I’ve done that consistently for a while now. I could see where it would help as long as you got the weights right and didn’t need different characteristics in driver versus 3-wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Short answer, it’s a good idea.

That Even Flow in a 75g will play similarly to your 65 in the driver and it will feel similar as well.

It also doesn’t hurt that you trust that same shaft in your driver. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’ve done this a couple times and it worked out well: 60 gram in the driver, 70g in the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

You could MOI it. Many that I do like the MOI club, some don't they prefer straight swing weight. My Auditor shaft analyser can match the shaft profile for each. Several ways to do this. I would bet if you don't have a fitter with all my toys. Golfworks could assist with a phone call.

Archived