Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

"Golf" vs. "Hunting" rangefinder

Is there really a difference between the two? Seems to me the tech would be the same. Local store has a Nikon 1000i "hunting" rangefinder with slope for $179. I like Nikon and all my hunting glass is Nikon. 

Edited by Titleist87

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I use a hunting rangefinder as well as gps(for when I’m in the woods and can’t see the green lol). The biggest problem with my rangefinder is it won’t pick up the flag so I always shoot the front of the green. I’m hoping to pick up a golf one this year with pin seeker tech in it. To me that is the only thing mine is missing. To be honest though I only paid $60 for mine so a higher price one may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 2 weeks later...

The first rangefinder I ever had was for hunting. I thought it worked well until I realized that most of the time I was hitting trees with it instead the flag itself. Highly recommend golf specific rangefinders with some kind of pin seeker technology. Also, highly recommend getting one with slope that can be turned on and off, especially if you are a competitive golfer playing in tournaments. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have to be able to turn off Slope otherwise it cannot be used in competition. I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff that has pinseeker and for $99 it is brilliant.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 1 year later...

I'm using Vortex Impact 6x15 and I bought it by reading this honest guide. The budget of yours will really suit this model. Do not get me wrong, Bushnell Tour V3 is also an excellent product, but it will cost you more with almost the same benefits. If I list it out, you will basically get the same range, slope adjusted feature and laser technology with a higher price tag.

I bought a hunting range finding 15 years ago and have used it since. No pin seeking  No slope   I use for basic things like the distance to the dogleg on par 4-5 

it’s tougher for longer par 3 to see the pin accurately if there is trees behind the green but works great at shorter distances inside 120 yards  I can usually pick out the pin instead of trees 

when I have awkward distances like 48, 65 , 78, 84 yards I like the using this the most    Inside 40 yards I walk little way up to the green used my imagination 

It time to update my rangefinder for 2022

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend just picking up any of the plethora of cheap golf oriented rangefinders that have flooded the market. As far as I can tell, most people are satisfied with them. I know a lot of people really like the TGW slope laser at around $200 which comes with interchangeable side plates that make it useable for competition. This generic rangefinder appears to also come in different flavors for other brands.

I have a cheaper Nikon Coolshot and like it but I would probably seek out a rangefinder with better pin seeking technology in the future. However, the cheaper cool shots are still better to have than a rangefinder with no pin seeking at all. Based on what I see, the 1000i appears to be a different version of the cheaper coolshot.

On the whole, I would recommend a golf range finder. I guess if you wanted to use it for hunting my question would be, what is more important to you? Would a golf rangefinder work for hunting?

• 1 year later...

Main difference between golf and hunting rangefinders is they are set up the opposite way. Hunting rangefinder hits multiple distances (say 2 tree branches, and ground) it will spit out the farthest number as the final range, because thats generally what you care about, where that spot is on the ground.  This is why many have said their hunting rangefinder doesn't pick up the flag. Golf ones will spit out the closest number, so you can hit the trees, hills, whatever behind it, but it will still give the number to the flag.

Edited by JimmyS