Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

79 or 80?

TR1PTIK

Hold on guys, a lot of explaining to do before we setup the question...

I played by myself today and had a really good round in spite of the 112* Texas heat. However, on the 5th green (and only the 5th green) there was a running sprinkler creating casual water on nearly half the putting surface. Knowing relief from casual water is typically allowed in the rules but unsure about this particular situation, I decided to hit the putt from where it was. I figured it'd just be dumb luck if I got anywhere close to the hole (about 25-30' away and down a small ridge) and that if I didn't get close, I wouldn't penalize myself with more than a 3-putt since my current average is 1.81 putts per hole and I'm a decent lag putter.

Fast forward to the end of the round when I realize I shot either a 79 or 80 depending on whether or not you count what I actually did from that puddle on the green (4-putt). 

What say you spies? 

Also, if @DaveP043 could chime in with what I actually should have done here, I'd love to know (or not 😛).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

7 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I played by myself today and had a really good round in spite of the 112* Texas heat. However, on the 5th green (and only the 5th green) there was a running sprinkler creating casual water on nearly half the putting surface. Knowing relief from casual water is typically allowed in the rules but unsure about this particular situation, I decided to hit the putt from where it was. I figured it'd just be dumb luck if I got anywhere close to the hole (about 25-30' away and down a small ridge) and that if I didn't get close, I wouldn't penalize myself with more than a 3-putt since my current average is 1.81 putts per hole and I'm a decent lag putter.

Fast forward to the end of the round when I realize I shot either a 79 or 80 depending on whether or not you count what I actually did from that puddle on the green (4-putt). 

What say you spies? 

Also, if @DaveP043 could chime in with what I actually should have done here, I'd love to know (or not 😛).

I will jump in....80.   If you had been successful, would there be any question?

nothing personal....

Curious to see if i get pummeled......

Edited by EEZurg

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

14 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

What say you spies? 

Rule 16.1d.   you are entitled to take relief from the water.   

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-16.html

If you are following the rules;  you chose not to take relief which is allowed,  you shot an 80 since you 4 putted. 

Easy search with the digital rules;  having a copy on your phone or in your bag is what you should have done 🙂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

80.  Should have taken advantage of the rule that you knew and taken relief.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Rule 16.1d.   you are entitled to take relief from the water.   

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-16.html

If you are following the rules;  you chose not to take relief which is allowed,  you shot an 80 since you 4 putted. 

Easy search with the digital rules;  put a copy on your phone 🙂

The question is where would the relief have been? For pace of play I'm not going to sit there in a non-competitive round of golf to try and figure it out.

949241937_SO5.jpg.04afefac6c372ba1571daaaa023a0e4e.jpg

In the crude illustration above, the blue obviously represents where the sprinkler was casting water on the green. The white dot is approximately where my ball was and the red dot is the hole. The sprinkler was located just a couple yards right of my ball.

To be completely honest, I have no qualms with claiming the 79 whether or not anyone here thinks it's what I should have done. Considering the number of rounds I've played with others where putts are given, or someone moves a ball because of a bare spot, divot, whatever, I personally take no issue with accepting the idea this was a rare occurrence and I'd 3-putt or less 99.9% of the time.

I just thought it'd be something fun to share with the forum.

40 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

The question is where would the relief have been? For pace of play I'm not going to sit there in a non-competitive round of golf to try and figure it out.

I just thought it'd be something fun to share with the forum.

Based on your diagram and since you need to remain on the green, I believe the nearest point of relief will be opposite side of the green where I made the yellow mark.   The black circle indicates the area equal distant from the hole and going right would take you off the green.     Ill be interested in @DaveP043 answer.  

image.png.284b3ad1de0e8dbe2dafb821053c82e5.png

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Based on your diagram and since you need to remain on the green, I believe the nearest point of relief will be opposite side of the green where I made the yellow mark. 

Check out 16.1d, which specifically talks about relief from an Abnormal Course Condition for a ball on the putting green.  First, because the ball was on the green, and the Temporary Water was on the green, you get relief for your line of play, as well as for your stance and swing.  Your Reference Point is the Nearest Point of Complete Relief, and the Relief Area may be either on the Putting Green OR in the General Area.  Based on @cnosil's drawing, the NPCR might be just off the green to the golfer's right, rather than on the green to the left.

That said, if you choose to play it, your score counts.  Still, and playing by yourself, I think if you'd taken Relief you'd be pretty likely to 2-putt.  As long as your conscience is clear, go ahead and claim the 79.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Check out 16.1d, which specifically talks about relief from an Abnormal Course Condition for a ball on the putting green.  First, because the ball was on the green, and the Temporary Water was on the green, you get relief for your line of play, as well as for your stance and swing.  Your Reference Point is the Nearest Point of Complete Relief, and the Relief Area may be either on the Putting Green OR in the General Area.  Based on @cnosil's drawing, the NPCR might be just off the green to the golfer's right, rather than on the green to the left.

That said, if you choose to play it, your score counts.  Still, and playing by yourself, I think if you'd taken Relief you'd be pretty likely to 2-putt.  As long as your conscience is clear, go ahead and claim the 79.

Thanks,  I read the comment about general area but wasn't sure if you were allowed to go off the green.  

@cnosil & @DaveP043, thanks for the clarification. I'll certainly know what to do next time. 

Like I said, I'm good with claiming the 79, but thought it'd be a good question to posit here. So, in addition to that I'll ask this: My 3rd putt was inside 3' and I took a casual swipe at it but lipped out the left side. Normally, that would be a gimme with most people I've played with. In fact, it's possible the ball would have been scooped up and tossed to me. 

Would it be more acceptable to have simply said that stroke didn't really count since I didn't fully address it and likely would have been given by a playing partner?

Just a fun thought exercise is all.

I'll also note, that if this were my first time to ever break 80 I would be placing a serious asterisk next to that 79 or just call it an 80 as well. I've reached a point where my potential is somewhere in the mid-to high 70's & low 80's with regularity. I've even had people suggest as much when playing with me or watching me at the range. I just suck at scoring... 😞 Usually, poor decision making; especially when my swing is off and then I just start racking up penalties.

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Thanks,  I read the comment about general area but wasn't sure if you were allowed to go off the green.  

Yeah, the General Area is everything that isn't one of the four specific areas:  Teeing Area (your tee on the hole you are playing), Penalty Area, Bunker, and Putting Green.  Anyone who wants more information can refer to Rule 2.

Edit to add, this used to be called "Through the Green".

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia